Just Saw A Suicide On Channel 7 News

Michael W

I think that it is rather tasteless to show such an event on Television.

Most people want to die with some dignity, and although some might think there is no dignity in suicide for the person doing it that may not be the case- of course people will come to an incident and watch if there are police and suchlike around, but the TV cameras could have a little more discretion about what they show - the last moments of someones life is not something that I would care to watch -it is not embracing death it is voyerisum of the highest order.

My undersatnding is that in Asia suicide and suicide prevention is not somethig that is talked about - much the samer as Mental Health, I beleive that there are only 200 Psych doctors in the whole of Thailand - so one doctor for every 300,000 citizens. That would suggest that this is more of a taboo subject than some would have you believe.

ChangChang and T.S - good points and agree with you about the self promotional drivel from several posters. Have some respect.

Welcome to LOS. The first time I visited Thailand I turned on the news and there was a guy in the middle of the road in convulsions (death throws) with blood everywhere. The TV annoncer said he was thrown from the wreck because he was not wearing a seat belt. Well the next time I got in the car I sure did buckle my seat belt. Shock therapy.

I should perhaps apologize for causing some of the bickering through my rather harsh earlier reponse. However, it's a topic I feel strongly about. Death is not "embraced" in all Asian cultures. ( I am not familiar with all but know enough of some to say this with certainty.)

And I feel strongly about this because of the way suicide happens in horribly repressive cultures where kids are subjected to ridiculous study loads and never expected to have problems, let alone mental illness such as depression that they might discuss with a counsellor. In Hong Kong, schools might have one counsellor who visits for a half day per week. The stigma attached to visiting this person is enormous. Chinese Universities have no counsellors. Foreign teachers are thus frequently approached by kids with personal problems as they are outsiders and known to have a different attitude.

Suicide is considered weak and shameful.

These things are changing, but not fast enough. Many, many kids suicide when they fail exams or when the pressure becomes too great. "Plunging" is the usual method.

Edited by changchang