On-arrival Visas: 90 Days And You’re Out!

On-arrival visas: 90 days and you’re out!

PHUKET: -- Phuket’s Immigration Chief has confirmed that Thailand will crack down on foreigners working illegally in the country by ending its policy of issuing an unlimited number of consecutive “visas on arrival” – tourist visas that allow the holder to stay a maximum of 15 or 30 days.

The crackdown is intended to stop foreigners – typically bar owners and other small businessmen without work permits – from using the visas to stay in the country indefinitely while working illegally.

Pol Col Bunphot Kongkrachan, Acting Superintendent of Phuket Immigration Office, told the Gazette that, from October 1, onward Immigration checkpoints around the country will limit to three the number of consecutive visas on arrival they will grant a single visitor.

After the third consecutive visa on arrival has expired, the passport holder must leave the country and wait 90 days before being allowed back into Thailand on the same type of visa.

The move effectively limits the length of stay for those entering the country using this visa class to 45 or 90 days.

The 41 countries whose citizens qualify for visas on arrival include Thailand’s top sources of tourists, including almost all Western European countries, the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, Singapore and many more.

Col Bunphot said that all Immigration chiefs nationwide have been ordered to attend a meeting at Immigration headquarters on September 15, during which the new stricter regulations will be explained in detail.

“I will make a more detailed statement about the new situation within a week of returning from the meeting,” he said.

Suwalai Pinpradab, Director of Tourism Authority of Thailand’s South Region 4 Office in Phuket, downplayed the potential impact of the new rule on Phuket’s all-important tourism industry.

“ I don’t think it will affect tourism revenue in Phuket very much because foreign businessman holding work permits will still be able to work. The only ones who will be affected will be people who are working illegally and prolonging their stays by making visa run after visa run,” she said.

“My concern is about the coming high season. I sympathize with Immigration, which has too few officers. I am afraid that they will be swamped with work and that there will be a slowdown in service [at Immigration checkpoints],” she said.

Executive Visa Run conducts visa runs to Ranong and recently started a service to Penang in Malaysia. A representative there, who requested anonymity, told the Gazette that word of the new regulations had created a great deal of confusion.

“Immigration here in Phuket doesn’t know what going on because they’ve not received any guidelines yet from Bangkok … Yesterday when we made inquiries, nobody there could tell us anything,” he said.

When asked if there were a lot of people making “visa hops” to get new visas on arrival, he said, “Oh, there’s a lot. Really. It’s unbelievable, the amount.”

He added, “I think it will have a huge impact. You listen to all this about how they only want the rich people to stay here. There are a lot of people who stay here on low incomes – and they cause no problems, they just get on with their lives,” he said.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-09-12

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does this mean for those of us who go to Penang for a triple entry tourist visa twice a year?
The tourist visa is not mentioned in this announcement. Therefore, this announcement means nothing for you.

However, if you are working illegally in Thailand you should nevertheless do whatever is necessary to get legal. The basic policy seems to be the removal of foreigners working illegally in Thailand and if this new rule does not stop them the government may have other ways to do so.

---------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

What does this mean for those of us who go to Penang for a triple entry tourist visa twice a year?
The tourist visa is not mentioned in this announcement. Therefore, this announcement means nothing for you.

However, if you are working illegally in Thailand you should nevertheless do whatever is necessary to get legal. The basic policy seems to be the removal of foreigners working illegally in Thailand and if this new rule does not stop them the government may have other ways to do so.

---------------

Maestro

Excuuuuuuuuse me, but you do NOT know that.

The spirit of this new crackdown is to stop SERIAL TOURISTS, whether by stamp or tourist visas. Do you seriously think that if you show up in Penang with a passport full of stamps and visas, that it will continue to be business as usual? Yes, its possible. But it seems more likely it will not be.

There is another Sunbelt post confirming my conclusion that it is folly to feel secure in this situation.

Edited by Thaiquila

OK I AM SO CONFUSED>>>>>>>>

So if I have been doing the visa runs now for the past 8 months as of october 1 that will end.

So my question is this: I just renewed my visa today it will expire on oct 12 does that mean I can still do 2 more? Or because of all my past visa runs will I already be at the maximum allowed?

Also I have heard I can go to malasia and get a special 1 yr visa or a triple entry 90 day visa will that be allowed?

Can someone recomend a good visa for me to apply for, I am not here working or anything basically just hanging out with my girlfriend enjoying my time. What is the best way now to stay in this country????

PLEASE HELP

So, a tourist comes here on a long haul flight to Bangkok for 30days. After a few days in Bangkok he decides to take a trip to Ankor Wat using Thailand as his home base. He then takes a trip to Burma for a few days then returns. He then takes a trip to Laos and returns.

He then decides to go to See Singapore of Kuala Lumpur.... On his return to Bangkok he is refused entry as that means a 4th Visa on Arrival. He cannot continue his holiday with a final week in Phuket and has to spend a week in the Airport Lounge waiting to catch his flight home.

As a business man I always used Bangkok as a base for covering the Far East, returning there at weekends and between meetings in different nearby Countries, as do many others becuase it is cheaper and the food is great. We rely on tourist Visas on arrival as we are not doing Business in Thailand. I hope that this is just another crazy idea which similar to others in the past will not be fully implemented.

I am married to a Thai with three children, but currently rely on tourist visas, as I work 70 days in Libya and 17 days vacation in Bangkok. However, there is another twist that I need to make a side trip during my Vacation to Kuala Lumpur to collect my Libyan Visa which is already 2 VOAs in 2 weeks. I had a marriage and Own Company Visa before, but the problem is it takes too many visits to the immigration Bureau before they finally give you the stamp, and I am not here to go to the office. On top of that there is all the hassle of a reentry visa. I hope that we get a clearer picture soon.

Edited by Estrada

Can someone recomend a good visa for me to apply for, I am not here working or anything basically just hanging out with my girlfriend enjoying my time. What is the best way now to stay in this country????

Get a job?

---------------

Maestro

Personally I do not understand the excitement of several members this forum caused by the new tourist visa on arrival regulations.

The typical tourist will come to Thailand most probably twice a year in maximum.

“Tourists” who are seeking other activities than normal tourists normally are looking for, should apply that visa type suiting their activities.

In Europe you have to play by the law, why not here in Thailand?

You are guest of this country - behave accordingly and you will have no problems at all.

By the way, the “new“ rules are just a consequent follow up of the spirit of old rules and visa regulation. Unfortunately the applicants over stretched old conditions too much.

Bush

George, can you please ask your immigration connection the following question?

Is one permitted to stay indefinetly on tourist VISAS (not 30 day stamps)? Is the purpose of this to make sure that everyone is scrutinized more closely before being let back in or is the purpose of this to end the ptractice of living in Thailand as a tourist?

It boggles the mind how they can release only partial information when the lives of tens of thousands of people are in the balance.

So, a tourist comes here on a long haul flight to Bangkok for 30days. After a few days in Bangkok he decides to take a trip to Ankor Wat using Thailand as his home base. He then takes a trip to Burma for a few days then returns. He then takes a trip to Laos and returns.

He then decides to go to See Singapore of Kuala Lumpur.... On his return to Bangkok he is refused entry as that means a 4th Visa on Arrival. He cannot continue his holiday with a final week in Phuket and has to spend a week in the Airport Lounge waiting to catch his flight home.

As a business man I always used Bangkok as a base for covering the Far East, returning there at weekends and between meetings in different nearby Countries, as do many others becuase it is cheaper and the food is great. We rely on tourist Visas on arrival as we are not doing Business in Thailand. I hope that this is just another crazy idea which similar to others in the past will not be fully implemented.

I am married to a Thai with three children, but currently rely on tourist visas, as I work 70 days in Libya and 17 days vacation in Bangkok. However, there is another twist that I need to make a side trip during my Vacation to Kuala Lumpur to collect my Libyan Visa which is already 2 VOAs in 2 weeks. I had a marriage and Own Company Visa before, but the problem is thye take too many visits to the immigration Bureau before they finally give you the stamp, and I am not here to go to the office. On top of that there is all the hassle of a reentry visa. I hope that we get a clearer picture soon.

One of the few visa types not mentioned in all of this is the Transit Visa, which might provide you with a methodolgy, though I'm not sure at first glance if it's workable given the strictures you list. Ironically it can provide up to 30 days cover, but it is a single pass through visa defined by entry and exit criteria.

Welcome to lateral thinking vortex

Link

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

:o

The crackdown is intended to stop foreigners – typically bar owners and other small businessmen without work permits – from using the visas to stay in the country indefinitely while working illegally.

:D HEY .. they on visa-O :D

soon will be one time a year :D

===

:D

---------------

Maestro

Personally I do not understand the excitement of several members this forum caused by the new tourist visa on arrival regulations.

The typical tourist will come to Thailand most probably twice a year in maximum.

“Tourists” who are seeking other activities than normal tourists normally are looking for, should apply that visa type suiting their activities.

You are guest of this country - behave accordingly and you will have no problems at all.

By the way, the “new“ rules are just a consequent follow up of the spirit of old rules and visa regulation. Unfortunately the applicants over stretched old conditions too much.

Bush

These kinds of posts are really starting to annoy me. Can you please open your eyes? There are a significant number of people living in Thailand who do not seem to qualify for any of the visa options UNLESS they are going to permit endless tourist visas. What visa would you suggest a 40 year old retired American apply for who is not married to a Thai and does not wish to work or do business in Thailand?

Do you seriously think that if you show up in Penang with a passport full of stamps and visas, that it will continue to be business as usual? Yes, its possible. But it seems more likely it will not be.

There is another Sunbelt post confirming my conclusion that it is folly to feel secure in this situation.

In fact, for several weeks already members have reported here of their difficulties and/or inability to obtain a tourist visa in Penang for more than one entry. This started even before the announcement of the new policy on visa-exempt entries. While they are basically two different issues, they go in the same direction.

You are right, the writing on the wall is there for the perennial “tourists” in Thailand, and probably the genuine long-term tourist or young retiree may have to demonstrate to the consulate somehow that he is not working illegally in Thailand. Demonstrate how? The UK, US and other consulates are doing it already for Thai applicants for tourist visa. I think that the Thai system will be less cumbersome.

---------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

These kinds of posts are really starting to annoy me. Can you please open your eyes? There are a significant number of people living in Thailand who do not seem to qualify for any of the visa options UNLESS they are going to permit endless tourist visas. What visa would you suggest a 40 year old retired American apply for who is not married to a Thai and does not wish to work or do business in Thailand?

Well you seem to think those that are initiating these new visa rules care about the plight of those that dont fall in the categories you describe.

Well you seem to think those that are initiating these new visa rules care about the plight of those that dont fall in the categories you describe.

Jesus Christ. Where did I say that? If the new rules mean that anyone under retirement visa age who has money, but does not wish to marry or work, does not qualify for any visa and can not stay in Thailand year round, then that's what I want immigration to come out and say. I'm just trying to get clarification! If they can't stay, then that needs to be made blatantly clear.

I am well aware that the average farang is of no significance to the Thai government.

There are a significant number of people living in Thailand who do not seem to qualify for any of the visa options UNLESS they are going to permit endless tourist visas. What visa would you suggest a 40 year old retired American apply for who is not married to a Thai and does not wish to work or do business in Thailand?

If a 40-year old American is truly in position to spend the rest of his/her life in a foreign country as a true retiree - he/she must have sufficient money for those investment related visas still avaiable ... The "cheapest" (in terms of how much must be put on the table) would be to form a company, which employs you as some kind of director for a salary sufficient to get you one-year extension of you permitted-to-stay-stamps. Of course, you'll have to pay tax of that (maybe only on paper) income --- but why not, if you like this country enough to want to stay here for good? ... Well, I gues the company also needs to do some sort of business to remain an acceptable entity - but if you're only 40 years old - no symphaty from here if you feel too old to trying comply with that ...

There are a significant number of people living in Thailand who do not seem to qualify for any of the visa options UNLESS they are going to permit endless tourist visas. What visa would you suggest a 40 year old retired American apply for who is not married to a Thai and does not wish to work or do business in Thailand?

If a 40-year old American is truly in position to spend the rest of his/her life in a foreign country as a true retiree - he/she must have sufficient money for those investment related visas still avaiable ... The "cheapest" (in terms of how much must be put on the table) would be to form a company, which employs you as some kind of director for a salary sufficient to get you one-year extension of you permitted-to-stay-stamps. Of course, you'll have to pay tax of that (maybe only on paper) income --- but why not, if you like this country enough to want to stay here for good? ... Well, I gues the company also needs to do some sort of business to remain an acceptable entity - but if you're only 40 years old - no symphaty from here if you feel too old to trying comply with that ...

If the answer is that in order to stay, you would need to form a company to do some token business, then great, we all understand now. Form a bullshit company and get a work permit or leave. Unfortunately there is no clarification from immigration.

Edited by ChiangMaiThai

---------------

Maestro

Bush

Just a notion, but I'd suggest one develop a relationship (by email, phone, or in person) with someone within the immigration system (eg at a consulate) to whom one could make a documented case that one is self-supporting without working. Even if a low-level person might not consider the request, you might politely request the name of a superior you could write to or speak with. At some point you should find someone with the authority and discretion to approve your case, and/or advise how to obtain a suitable visa under passable criteria. Seems to me if you can show you are respecting the govm't authority and criteria (formally or otherwise) they can approve the limited number of special cases that will qualify (until or unless they formalize the crtieria under a new category because of a deluge of similar applications).

i am a 49 year old who can get his pension at the age of 50 who works in England and was planning to move to Thailand next August what do i do now?

the lump sum i take from my pension will be used to build a home so i will not be able to stick 800,000 in the bank.HELP

i am a 49 year old who can get his pension at the age of 50 who works in England and was planning to move to Thailand next August what do i do now?

the lump sum i take from my pension will be used to build a home so i will not be able to stick 800,000 in the bank.HELP

Straight forward? ... Not a chance (and there hasn't been for quite a few years - nothing changed) ... You only have two options for a longstay retirement in Thailand: 1) Show proof of 800,000 baht on your Thai bank account, originated from abroad, at every yearly extension. 2) Get a letter from your embassy stating you get a monthly pension from abroad (don't remember how much, but that monthly income must sort of level with the 800,000 a year)

Now we are getting confused even more..will someone please get the real story. According to the Ministry of Foreign affairs web site pointed about to me by another member, Visa on Arrival V.O.A does not apply to 41 countries including U.K. Passport holders. We are "Visa Exempt", all we get is a 30 day entry stamp so there should be no problem at all for us.

However, there are 20 Countries that require Visa on Arrival and that includes Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia etc, and quite a number of its citizens have been involved in Prostitution and Mafia activities. I believe this proposal of throwing them out for 90 days, is designed to get rid of the Russian and Eastern Block prostitutes and Mafia. Since this also includes Saudi Arabia, I presume they also want to make sure the Al-Queda types do not overstay their welcome.

Since all the stories refer to "Visa on Arrival", it surely does not affect the majority of us, here is a quote from the Official Web site:

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002) ,18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005) , passport holders from 40 countries and Hong Kong SAR do not require a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days.

On Sept 27 i will enter Thailand for the 6th time since mid-January....all on VOA stamps.

4 arrivals from the UK, 1 from the Philippines & 1 from Malaysia.

Am i correct in assuming that as the new rules do not come into force until Oct 1, I will not have a problem?

It seems to me what they are concerned about is constant immediate re-entries at land borders.

What about people who want to do, say 4 x 2 week trips a year, where the 4th trip entry is within 90 days of the last exit?

(just reckoned up & my last abscense exceeds 90 days) :-)

So let me see if I get this right. I was in Thailand this past August and have a flight leaving in October to visit my GF and check out our new home. I cannot even ge a visa now becasue I was last in Thaialnd less than 90 days ago. And if I play with some dates I still can't go back to spend the December holidaies with her? AM I getting this right? (I still do not understand is it 45 or 90s days that I have to wait in between trips now?)

the IMPORTANT lines...

read slowly :D

===

News from the new regulation

5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

Another example; you arrive for a week, this counts as 30 days, One month later 3 days and its 30 days, two months later and its for a two week period, still another 30 days. You can reenter Thailand in 6 weeks without having a visa.===

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82975

---

:o

Edited by lung

---------------

Maestro

Bush

will be interesting to see if you stoic law-and-order types are still stoic law-and-order types when they make a change that affects *you*.

hopefully you lot will not descend into pissing and moaning like jilted schoolgirls, that would be an utterly tedious follow-up to this sort of lecture.

If the answer is that in order to stay, you would need to form a company to do some token business, then great, we all understand now. Form a bullshit company and get a work permit or leave. Unfortunately there is no clarification from immigration.

Guess the essence of the situation is: Thailand has no room for non-producing hangarounds in the working age ... Who can blame them?

Now we are getting confused even more..will someone please get the real story. According to the Ministry of Foreign affairs web site pointed about to me by another member, Visa on Arrival V.O.A does not apply to 41 countries including U.K. Passport holders. We are "Visa Exempt", all we get is a 30 day entry stamp so there should be no problem at all for us.

However, there are 20 Countries that require Visa on Arrival and that includes Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia etc, and quite a number of its citizens have been involved in Prostitution and Mafia activities. I believe this proposal of throwing them out for 90 days, is designed to get rid of the Russian and Eastern Block prostitutes and Mafia. Since this also includes Saudi Arabia, I presume they also want to make sure the Al-Queda types do not overstay their welcome.

Since all the stories refer to "Visa on Arrival", it surely does not affect the majority of us, here is a quote from the Official Web site:

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002) ,18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005) , passport holders from 40 countries and Hong Kong SAR do not require a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days.

No, it does affect us. Even in the 'business' there is a tendency to use the term VOA to mean both formal Visa on Arrival, say as in Cambodia or Egypt and the Permit To Remain, which is what is provided to the 41 being explicity identified as the area of concern. The site lets you review the different options, including the Transit Visa which might just work for you.

Regards