Parcel senders are required to show ID cards or passports

Lite Beer

They say "recorded". I would not trust whatever record or spreadsheet or data base the Postal worker might keep with my passport number and name on it! Goodness. It is hard enough to safeguard that information now. How are they going to record the information and in what format or media? Computer?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having lived and worked in seven countries and travelled in over 40 countries, Thailand is the only one that seems to come up with laws that discriminate against people who are not native to that country. All of the laws that suddenly pop-up in Thailand seem to be designed to make it more and more difficult to live/work here, even as retirees. The biggest problem we face is the use of Immigration having so many different types of visas from which they make a veritable fortune, and which are difficult to understand. Not being able to own land, start a business without employing four persons, who usually do not have to perform any work as they are not really needed, and usually not qualified, and a host of other things. These are some of the biggest scams that are imposed upon non-Thais and we have to put up with harassment by the police and other organisations and we have virtually no recourse in the law to have the playing fields leveled. We do not have those types of things in most western countries and most things here are transparent but in Thailand things are not even opaque.

You have done an excellent job of articulating a series of complaints that are the underlying theme of most Thai Visa postings.

Most of this is not true, or is, at best .. a half truth.

Thailand seems to have fulfilled her goals doing it her way. There is full employment, and a growing economy. Can your native land say that?

Foreigners are limited in their ability to create artificial inflated land prices and profit at the expense of the citizens of the country. Can your native land say that?

The popular misconception by Foreigners is their role in this picture. Thailand enjoys a robust tourist trade, and many jobs and income are generated by it. They never said "Come and live here, we need you." I live here, and hope to never leave, but I never kid myself about my role in a sovereign nation with very deep pride in the value of being Thai. And like it or not ... it is their country, and if they feel that way .. it is their right.

If you had any working understanding of the history of Thailand, and even in the recent past .. you would know what it means to be perceived as "Thai." .. and that goes to the highest possible level.

To me, the consatnt whine that Thailand is not like the West, is accurate .. really more of a "Duh!" ... but in my case, that is a "feature" and not a "bug."

You have your right to your (negative) opinion, and wonder why you stay here. obviously, the positives outweigh the negatives .. or you are an idiot.

I doubt you are an idiot, so count your blessings, go with the flow, and have a nice day.

mai pen rai.

This law will stop a lot of foregners from buying and selling goods.

I don't get it. Why would this stop me from sending a package?

Folk selling on ebay will be recorded as sending lots of packages.

I have no objection to handing over my thai DL which has all the relevant info, i do object to carrying my passport around.

Agreed. My passport is locked up unless I get on a plane. Been handing over a nice wallet sized color copy of inside cover and visa for years .. never had one person say no.

The Op lacks an important comma, which you will find in post #11and which changers the meaning significantly.

The rule is for both Thais and foreigners. Thais will have to show their ID cards and foreigners, their passports.

It does not say whether photocopies of passports would be accepted, nor if a Thai DL would be accepted in lieu of passport. As with so many things in Thailand, how this is interpreted will likely vary from place to place. However, for other matters requiring a passport I have always been successful in showing just a photocopy.

I don't know how many of you outraged posters often send parcels through the mail anonymously, or why, but I'm happy to hear you're being ferreted out.

thumbsup.gif

what I really dislike is people that have private conversations, I have no idea why anyone would want to do that but hopefully the government can ferret them out soon too

It's a fair sort of a leap comparing anonymously sent parcels, containing unknown substances/products, through the mail with the tapping of phone conversations.

As one of the outraged, perhaps you could answer my "why" question.

why? the question should be "why not?". perhaps you could explain why you choose to post on this site using a pseudonym, Im sure you are doing nothing illegal and yet you still prefer to remain anonymous. why is that?

The Op lacks an important comma, which you will find in post #11and which changers the meaning significantly.

The rule is for both Thais and foreigners. Thais will have to show their ID cards and foreigners, their passports.

It does not say whether photocopies of passports would be accepted, nor if a Thai DL would be accepted in lieu of passport. As with so many things in Thailand, how this is interpreted will likely vary from place to place. However, for other matters requiring a passport I have always been successful in showing just a photocopy.

Perfection. Thank You !

Another discrimination.

I guess more parcels with drugs are sent by Thai than by foreigners.

Reminds me on the report some time ago in Chiangmai that police have to watch foreigners for dangerous driving

- as if it were not the Thai drivers who need that extra care

I wisely removed my post, because I misread the OP at first, I suggest you do the same.whistling.gif

are required to show their ID cards or passports if they are foreigners

Another discrimination.

Reminds me on the report some time ago in Chiangmai that police have to watch foreigners for dangerous driving

I wisely removed my post, because I misread the OP at first, I suggest you do the same.whistling.gif

are required to show their ID cards or passports if they are foreigners

Perhaps you could read the entire thread?

Here is an image of the update by the Thai Visa Moderator.

post-145190-0-77158700-1433311548_thumb.

Just got back from the post office. The clerk said it only applies to packages 2 kilos or more.

A few months ago the Thai PO began requiring a Thai ID # or foreign passport # written on the front of any package going to the country of Israel. These measures and the recent law requiring all Thai sim cards to be registered in a persons name are little incremental moves toward the long term goal of establishing a global wide surveillance state compiling as much information as possible on as many people as possible. Whether or not you think that is a good or bad thing is a great topic of debate for bloks sitting at the bar here in the LOS.

Just for the record .. has been this way for many years

It has not been this way for many years in Thailand, this is a new regulation, and there is nothing wrong with the regulation.

But why on earth would you post a screenshots from a US site, about showing ID in the US, in a topic about posting in Thailand?

I am sure this is being done at the request of foreign governments and drug companies who

do not want generic drugs and steroids mailed from Thailand. coffee1.gif

I am sure this is being done at the request of foreign governments and drug companies who

do not want generic drugs and steroids mailed from Thailand. coffee1.gif

How would this work! unless you get every person Thai and foreigner to add their ID.

No this is just another item to add to THE list where they just do not want us in their country.

edit: ^ see ^ another one! thumbsup.gif

This topic is reminding me about the one a few weeks ago where 4 people went to a seafood restaurant and got ripped off - but most of the comments were clear cases of people not reading the topic properly before posting.

There are some amazing rants about discrimination in here, like the one on the previous page from the person who has "lived and worked in seven countries and travelled in over 40 countries" blah blah. Still posts coming without understanding this new regulation is about everyone, Thais and foreigners alike.

I'm okay with new rule, I post things regularly, a few times in a month maybes. It is hardly a big inconvenience, everyone just need to remember to take their ID or passport with them now to the post office. We'll get by, life goes on. smile.png

Won’t be much drugs left in the parcel for your friends once it’s passed through the manual screening and the parcel and its checked for anything of value that is part of the Thai postal workers wages perks and duty to help themselves. Hope it’s not as bad as the incoming screening as some postal worker will be walking about wearing my prescription sun glasses that went missing in the post.

do people really take there passport out at night \\\\\\\\\when going to few bars

Another discrimination.

Why do you feel it is discriminatory? Thais are required to carry ID cards and foreigner are required to carry a copy of their passport details. Not too much of a problem really?.

Before someone comes out with the usual "this is normal in America" it is most definitely NOT as of two days ago.

As far as I know, standard practice in Australia when sending a parcel, and been that way for a few years already.

I don't think it's normal in Australia. I regularly post parcels, both boxed and satchels, and I've never been asked, and one can buy an Aust Post satchel (for parcels) without ID, and drop it in a post box without ID.

Folks.....please read the OP. Everybody posting a parcel is required to show ID, identity card for Thais, passport for foreigners.

There is nothing sinister going on, no discrimination, no purge of foreigners. Please........

I wonder why this is not a "must read" and why fhe headline not states that this rule applies only to foreigners...

Another pure racist attack on foreigners - something similar to this announced in a European newspaper, telling immigrants and people with immigrant background to register with their passport before being allowed to send a parcel by post, and streets would be burning and the government would be protested into submission by angry immigrant and leftist mobs... In Thailand? Nothing...

You should keep reading the Op

Until you actually understand it.

I wonder why this is not a "must read" and why fhe headline not states that this rule applies only to foreigners...

Another pure racist attack on foreigners - something similar to this announced in a European newspaper, telling immigrants and people with immigrant background to register with their passport before being allowed to send a parcel by post, and streets would be burning and the government would be protested into submission by angry immigrant and leftist mobs... In Thailand? Nothing...

You should keep reading the Op

Until you actually understand it.

Thai bashers are not required to actually read threads or posts. Just bash away indiscriminately!

If someone is sending 50 parcels, things could get tedious for all concerned.

Not as tedious as postings that stretch to ridiculous extremes.

Amazing Farang. There is no limit to the petty nature of a Thai Basher.

Something tells me that you won't actually have to pull your passport out of your pocket, have them look at it, and then put it back in your pocket - 50 times repeated, as you hand over each separate parcel.

Just a guess though.

Something tells me that you won't actually have to pull your passport out of your pocket, have them look at it, and then put it back in your pocket - 50 times repeated, as you hand over each separate parcel.

Just a guess though.

Thank goodness for that, your trouser pocket would get frayed in no time.

But if you are only required to show a passport and nothing more, then that is an exercise in futility, as there is no record of any parcel being associated with any parcel. All it would indicate is that the poster has a passport, well of course he has!!

Not even the Thais would be so daft, would they !?

So there must surely be some record created, and yes if there are 50 parcels then that record would have to be replicated 50 times or a batch number created, wouldn't it?

Not as tedious as postings that stretch to ridiculous extremes.

Amazing Farang. There is no limit to the petty nature of a Thai Basher.

Believe you me having lived here 11 years, it is not so extreme. I have signed hundreds if not thousands of meaningless records.

Post again when you get a few more under your belt.

Just saying.

Laughable how many of the ThaiV members hit the "launch rocket button" based on reading the headline post alone. It only needed people to read a couple more of the posts to realise that the syntax of the original post could be read with two meanings. Some people were born to whinge.

Archived