Parcel senders are required to show ID cards or passports

Lite Beer

Another discrimination.

I guess more parcels with drugs are sent by Thai than by foreigners.

Reminds me on the report some time ago in Chiangmai that police have to watch foreigners for dangerous driving

- as if it were not the Thai drivers who need that extra care

Why do you feel it is discriminatory? Thais are required to carry ID cards and foreigner are required to carry a copy of their passport details. Not too much of a problem really?.

maladjusted was the first thought that came to mind.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"ID cards or passports if they are foreigners"

the text is obviously ambiguous and could be read as

either:-

"Aliens are required to show either an ID card or passport. Thai people are not required to show anything."

or:-

"Thai people are required to show an ID card. Aliens are required to show a passport."

Obviously the intention is the latter.

Maybe just the addition of just 2 brackets would make the meaning clear:-

"ID cards (or passports if they are foreigners)"

Now try writing that in Thai,

บัตรประจำตัวประชาชน (หรือหนังสือเดินทางถ้าพวกเขาเป็นชาวต่างชาติ)

(translate.google.com)

If someone is sending 50 parcels, things could get tedious for all concerned.

Not as tedious as postings that stretch to ridiculous extremes.

Amazing Farang. There is no limit to the petty nature of a Thai Basher.

Believe you me having lived here 11 years, it is not so extreme. I have signed hundreds if not thousands of meaningless records.

Post again when you get a few more under your belt.

Just saying.

Sorry, not buying it.

I do wonder what documents you have "signed hundreds if not thousands of..."

Sounds like pure BS.

I have lived in BKK for 5 years ... non stop. Struggling to think of ONE "meaningless record" I have had to sign.

Please, "Professor Thailand" give me a few examples.

"...if not thousands..." 555.. ridiculous.

OK professor, school is open and I have my notebook ready....tell me all about it.

"Just saying"

Believe you me having lived here 11 years, it is not so extreme. I have signed hundreds if not thousands of meaningless records.

Just saying.

Sorry, not buying it.

Sounds like pure BS.

I have lived in BKK for 5 years ... non stop. Struggling to think of ONE "meaningless record" I have had to sign.

OK professor, school is open and I have my notebook ready....tell me all about it.

"Just saying"

Often see people pulling striped plastic bags across the post office floor, could be more than 50 parcels, its not so unusual,

Thinking about it have done it myself many times in previous years.

A post commenting on moderation removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Just saying.

Sorry, not buying it.

Sounds like pure BS.

"Just saying"

Often see people pulling striped plastic bags across the post office floor, could be more than 50 parcels, its not so unusual,
Thinking about it have done it myself many times in previous years

Sorry kiddo ... ain't makin' it ...

Game over.

You have not one example, no less hundreds...if not thousands of examples of "meaningless" documents you have signed. Your "11 year" trump card was a dud.

Good night chicken little, sleep knowing that the actual probabiltiy of getting in line behind a Foreigner sending 50 packages through the Thai Postal System is near zero.

Funny thing is, anyone sending anything of real value is going to use FedEx, and they have always required a copy of your passport. Been that way in the USA for a long time too.

That was a long stretch to get your Thai Bashing in for today.

Was it worth it?

Just sayin

I just wonder how they cope with companies that send many parcels.

Where my girlfriend works they send many parcels and the messenger that takes the parcels to the post office also takes private parcels for the staff.

Just saying.

Sorry, not buying it.

Sounds like pure BS.

"Just saying"

Thinking about it it is probably dozens if not hundreds, maybe 1000 plus.

When you do a work permit/teachers licence, I have done 3, then you have to countersign all the photocopies, this is at least 25 pages possibly many more.

And of course copies if you do the putative marriage visa.

Meaningless in as much as they are copies, and really don't need to be signed.

Same at university, just about everything needed to be signed.

As I say been here a long time!

Just replyin !

Just saying.

Sorry, not buying it.

Sounds like pure BS.

"Just saying"

Thinking about it have done it myself many times in previous years.

Sorry kiddo ... ain't makin' it ...

Game over.

You have not one example, no less hundreds...if not thousands of examples of "meaningless" documents you have signed. Your "11 year" trump card was a dud.

Good night chicken little, sleep knowing that the actual probabiltiy of getting in line behind a Foreigner sending 50 packages through the Thai Postal System is near zero.

Funny thing is, anyone sending anything of real value is going to use FedEx, and they have always required a copy of your passport. Been that way in the USA for a long time too.

That was a long stretch to get your Thai Bashing in for today.

Was it worth it?

Just sayin

We regularly send 30 plus parcels out in a day. And in busier times up to 100. Nothing of value.

Just correctin.

Another discrimination.

I guess more parcels with drugs are sent by Thai than by foreigners.

Reminds me on the report some time ago in Chiangmai that police have to watch foreigners for dangerous driving

- as if it were not the Thai drivers who need that extra care

This country is getting more and more disgusting.

Of course only farangs would do drugs never a Thai person !

Some posters really need to learn to read and understand an OP before making ridiculous comments

An announcement has been issued by Thailand Post, saying the company has imposed a new rule under which senders of packages must be able to show the staff their ID card, (that would be the Thai people) or passport if they are foreigners. If they fail to do so, the service would be denied.

Since all foreigners are already required to carry a copy of the relevant passport pages, what is there to complain about? It is not discriminatory, disgusting or anything to do with any nationality's drug habits (even if such a thing were to exist).

post-153732-0-93003300-1433387048_thumb.

I've sent a number of parcels using the post office and have always needed ID.....what's the difference?

I have never been asked for ID when sending a parcel through a post office in Thailand, domestic or overseas.

Most recently,sent an EMS parcel to Spain on Friday, no ID needed then either.

Same here. I've been mailing parcels in Thailand for the last 38 years, never been asked for ID.

• 10 months later...

About time Thailand caught up with a lot of western countries by asking for ID when sending a parcel.

Great idea and look forward to complying with it.

I have absolutely no problem with presenting my ID when sending a parcel abroad.

I must confess to not really thrilling with anticipation and "looking forward to complying" , but there we go...smile.pngsmile.png

The wife sent a parcel today. She needed some paper to write the address as what she presented was not acceptable. The piece of paper had a copy of some ones ID on the other side. Looks like the Post Office are paper recyclists like Immigration

Archived