Parcel senders are required to show ID cards or passports

Lite Beer

I went to Nana Post office today, and was told by an English speaking clerk that the passport rule applies to ALL MAILINGS -- envelopes with documents only and boxes of any kind, sent both domestic inside Thailand and internationally.

I tried to give them my laminated passport copy, and after checking with a supervisor, they agreed to accept it today. But said next time, I'd need to bring my original passport or they wouldn't accept it.

On the counter, was a notice sheet in English and Thai citing it as a directive from the Prime Minister's office and relating to narcotics enforcement. Though why such a policy would need to apply to what clearly are paper only correspondence, I can't even begin to imagine.

Just remember the latest mantra -- bad guys in, good guys out.

Post Office Passport Notice 2016-04.jpg

FWIW, although the OP news articles in this thread refer only to parcels (boxes), the clerk at Nana today, as I mentioned above, claimed they're enforcing it against everything, including regular letters. I was sending in my U.S. taxes today, and they wanted to see the passport for that!!!!

And there's no mention in the English notice of Thai DL's or anything other than an original passport being acceptable.

post-58284-0-40751300-1460975313_thumb.j

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got asked for ID, just sending in my 90 day notice to immigration !!

As I noted above, at least Nana P.O. says they're enforcing the policy against every mailing -- letter or package.

BTW, another area where this doesn't make any sense is, a lot of time, people including myself bring things to the Post Office for THEIR STAFF to provide the box and pack the items inside.

Today, I did just that, and I was returning 2 T-Shirts to the seller that didn't fit my right for exchange. The Thai P.O. staff guy at the packing counter took my shirts, put them in the box, sealed it up, and gave it to me to go get postage. If THEY'RE the ones packing the box, isn't that enough to know that drugs aren't inside???

Actually it was good news back in June 2015 when this article was originally posted. Don't understand why people seem to think this is something new.

I often send items to my country and post office never ask me to how my passport.

Until today.

One would be inclined to assume, this is the fatherly influence of Uncle Too and Co. at work, making sure all those bad farangs in Thailand aren't getting up to any mischief....

Next time I'm at the P.O., however, I think I'm going to have to ask them.... what exactly is my "GENUINE PASSORT" (take a look at the notice photo posted above...) I guess that means they're not going to accept fake passorts???

• 3 weeks later...

Thai Customs run amok???

Today, I received an Amazon.com package from the U.S. delivered here locally by Thai Post. My small box included two 8 oz. bags of Reese's Pieces, and properly declared them on my customs declaration as chocolate candy. No tax or duty charged.

But, when I get my box, I see it's been opened enroute and then retaped shut. So I open the box, and finds its other contents intact, except..... both plastic bags of Reece's pieces have been entirely torn open and then all the small Reese's candies dumped back loose into the shipping box.

I can't imagine why Customs would feel the need to do something like that with properly declared candy -- except.... if somehow the Customs folks for some reason believed my Amazon-provided Reece's pieces candies were perhaps some kind of ruse for importing drugs. But there were no drugs in the box from Amazon, just chocolate candies, most of which then got smashed and melted loose inside the shipping box.

I know the government is serious about going after drug offenders. But really, can't they tell the difference between small chocolate candies and colored pills??? And even if they needed to open both bags, fine, but once satisfied, at least put the contents back into the bags and tape them shut. But no, someone decided to just dump the contents into my shipping box...

Thanks so much...

What happens if I need to send my passport back to UK for renewal. It is therefore in the envelope and therefore cannot be shown?

Therefore have to seal the envelope at the PO after showing it first.

Easiest way is just to send a Thai person down to the PO to send it for you and they then show their ID, I suppose

What happens if I need to send my passport back to UK for renewal. It is therefore in the envelope and therefore cannot be shown?

Easiest way is just to send a Thai person down to the PO to send it for you and they then show their ID, I suppose

There is no requirement to send your passport to the UK to renew it. You just use a copy.

Once every 5 years (ish) compared to how many parcels a week you send?????

Thai Customs run amok???

Today, I received an Amazon.com package from the U.S. delivered here locally by Thai Post. My small box included two 8 oz. bags of Reese's Pieces, and properly declared them on my customs declaration as chocolate candy. No tax or duty charged.

But, when I get my box, I see it's been opened enroute and then retaped shut. So I open the box, and finds its other contents intact, except..... both plastic bags of Reece's pieces have been entirely torn open and then all the small Reese's candies dumped back loose into the shipping box.

I can't imagine why Customs would feel the need to do something like that with properly declared candy -- except.... if somehow the Customs folks for some reason believed my Amazon-provided Reece's pieces candies were perhaps some kind of ruse for importing drugs. But there were no drugs in the box from Amazon, just chocolate candies, most of which then got smashed and melted loose inside the shipping box.

I know the government is serious about going after drug offenders. But really, can't they tell the difference between small chocolate candies and colored pills??? And even if they needed to open both bags, fine, but once satisfied, at least put the contents back into the bags and tape them shut. But no, someone decided to just dump the contents into my shipping box...

Thanks so much...

So it is impossible the candies to have had heroin in them, and drugs are only in pill form??????

Thai Customs run amok???

Thanks so much...

So it is impossible the candies to have had heroin in them, and drugs are only in pill form??????

As I said in my post, they were manufacturer sealed 8 oz bags of Reese's Pieces, kind of like a smaller, flatter version of M&Ms. And in a sealed shipping box direct from Amazon.com -- not like something someone would have hand packed themselves.

But at any rate, I have no problem with Thai Customs' right to check and inspect my incoming shipment. But I do have a problem with them, once having done so, simply dumping all the candies back loose into the shipping box and thus ruining all of them -- as opposed to at least putting them back into the bags they were shipped in.

When the box arrived to my home, there wasn't a single Reese Piece in either of the manufacturer bags they came in. The bags had been entirely ripped open and the entire contents of both bags were simply dumped back loose into the shipping box.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I must have sent a dozen parcels to the UK in the last 12 months (since this rule was supposed to have come in) and have yet to be asked for any ID.

I receive a big letter, often a parcel, about every month from the UK. Never a problem with Thai customs.

Must have an innocent face...

Well I must have sent a dozen parcels to the UK in the last 12 months (since this rule was supposed to have come in) and have yet to be asked for any ID.

I'm assuming you meant sent starting out at a Thai Post post office... If so, what P.O. is permitting that sans ID?

I'm assuming you meant sent starting out at a Thai Post post office... If so, what P.O. is permitting that sans ID?

3 separate ones in and around Chiang Rai.

Archived