Parcel senders are required to show ID cards or passports

Lite Beer

This country is getting more and more disgusting.

If you feel this way, it should not be too hard for you to make an appropriate decision to take corrective action........As regards whether you stop visiting or if you live here, perhaps time to brush the dust of your packing cases!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another discrimination.

I guess more parcels with drugs are sent by Thai than by foreigners.

Reminds me on the report some time ago in Chiangmai that police have to watch foreigners for dangerous driving

- as if it were not the Thai drivers who need that extra care

Off topic but, the driving thin is not totally unwarranned. Folk from Europe or the Americas frequently cause accidents in RHD countries by being on the wrong side of the road.

Damn! Now I will have to get a Thai to send my drug-laden packages!

A Thai will still need to show ID.
"if they are foreigners otherwise the parcels will not be accepted for delivery".

A Thai is not a foreigner.

I read it as thai has to show id and foreigner has to show passport because later in the article it says

The announcements make it mandatory for senders of parcels to show their ID cards or passports to officials at the postal counters so their personal information will be recorded.

Before someone comes out with the usual "this is normal in America" it is most definitely NOT as of two days ago.

Fortunately Thailand is not America!

Agreed, that would make for a much less interestng world.

There are some people who do a thriving business in black market steroids from China and other drugs that are readily available over the counter here without prescription, some of these steroid sellers have a thriving business, it might have something to do with this, so it will not be a problem for normal people going and sending things home as presents , life will go on as normal for normal use of the postal service, however the steroid sellers might have to look for another source of income.....it's a good thing to weed out these clowns

Before someone comes out with the usual "this is normal in America" it is most definitely NOT as of two days ago.

As far as I know, standard practice in Australia when sending a parcel, and been that way for a few years already.

This is not discrimination:

Thais have to show either their ID or their Passports, foreigners have to show their Passports..... where is the discrimination??

This is an effort to stop drug smuggling, this is a good thing!!!

Another discrimination.

Reminds me on the report some time ago in Chiangmai that police have to watch foreigners for dangerous driving

It does not mean Thais do not have to show their ID. THAIS show their ID and foreigners show their passports.

I've sent a number of parcels using the post office and have always needed ID.....what's the difference?

Same here BSJ, I've been showing identifcation for years for domestic and international parcels. I've never had an issue with the requirement

I've sent a number of parcels using the post office and have always needed ID.....what's the difference?

I've never been asked for ID when sending a parcel from Thailand.

This will probably screw quite a few ecommerce businesses that are being run by Farangs from Thailand.

I don't know how many of you outraged posters often send parcels through the mail anonymously, or why, but I'm happy to hear you're being ferreted out.

thumbsup.gif

what I really dislike is people that have private conversations, I have no idea why anyone would want to do that but hopefully the government can ferret them out soon too

I am more then OK with this, but it will also cause probably a rise in stolen ID's and passports. The post-office staff is not trained in identifying false documents and I am sure the post-office will also not have access to the registry of ID's and passports.

I think it will not stop any bad willed person from using the post-office to send parcels.

Another discrimination.

Actually I read it like you the first time too. This is because how some of us (me included) are conditioned. We expect the Thais to blame the foreigner so we don't read good. I admit.. i read the same thing.

Will be a big mess at the post office that is for sure.

I wonder why this is not a "must read" and why fhe headline not states that this rule applies only to foreigners...

Another pure racist attack on foreigners - something similar to this announced in a European newspaper, telling immigrants and people with immigrant background to register with their passport before being allowed to send a parcel by post, and streets would be burning and the government would be protested into submission by angry immigrant and leftist mobs... In Thailand? Nothing...

I am more then OK with this, but it will also cause probably a rise in stolen ID's and passports. The post-office staff is not trained in identifying false documents and I am sure the post-office will also not have access to the registry of ID's and passports.

I think it will not stop any bad willed person from using the post-office to send parcels.

Well they are both photo id so it's a good start

I wonder why this is not a "must read" and why fhe headline not states that this rule applies only to foreigners...

Another pure racist attack on foreigners - something similar to this announced in a European newspaper, telling immigrants and people with immigrant background to register with their passport before being allowed to send a parcel by post, and streets would be burning and the government would be protested into submission by angry immigrant and leftist mobs... In Thailand? Nothing...

More then a few people already said its not aimed at foreigners.. I misread first too but if you read the rest of the peoples post it becomes clear its not aimed at foreigners only. If your Thai you have to show an ID card.. if foreigner a passport.

BANGKOK: -- Starting as of Tuesday June 2, senders of parcels through the Thai post office are required to show their ID cards or passports if they are foreigners otherwise the parcels will not be accepted for delivery.

I don't know how many of you outraged posters often send parcels through the mail anonymously, or why, but I'm happy to hear you're being ferreted out.

thumbsup.gif

what I really dislike is people that have private conversations, I have no idea why anyone would want to do that but hopefully the government can ferret them out soon too

It's a fair sort of a leap comparing anonymously sent parcels, containing unknown substances/products, through the mail with the tapping of phone conversations.

As one of the outraged, perhaps you could answer my "why" question.

I really believe that there is an exam to be admitted to the Royal Academy of Thai Bashing.

In that exam, one most prove limited reading comprehension skills.

This article clearly states that to send a parcel in Thailand, a photo ID is required by ALL people.

For Thai nationals, their ID cards, and for Foreigners, the equivalent .. their Passport.

Is this really so hard to comprehend?

Or is is always "Shoot first, aim later?"

Having lived and worked in seven countries and travelled in over 40 countries, Thailand is the only one that seems to come up with laws that discriminate against people who are not native to that country. All of the laws that suddenly pop-up in Thailand seem to be designed to make it more and more difficult to live/work here, even as retirees. The biggest problem we face is the use of Immigration having so many different types of visas from which they make a veritable fortune, and which are difficult to understand. Not being able to own land, start a business without employing four persons, who usually do not have to perform any work as they are not really needed, and usually not qualified, and a host of other things. These are some of the biggest scams that are imposed upon non-Thais and we have to put up with harassment by the police and other organisations and we have virtually no recourse in the law to have the playing fields leveled. We do not have those types of things in most western countries and most things here are transparent but in Thailand things are not even opaque.

Another discrimination.

I wisely removed my post, because I misread the OP at first, I suggest you do the same.whistling.gif

I admit you are right. But still I am not 100 % sure.

Does the OP mean senders are required to show "ID cards or passports if they are foreigners?"

or

.... are required to show ID cards if they are Thai or passports if they are foreigners?

But the last one seems more likely.

Unfortunately too late to remove the post

I don't understand the posts saying it is racist and targeting foreigners. The title of the topic is clear as ID cards always means Thai as foreigners do not have ID cards as proof of identity. And to make it clear, from the Thailand post website.

Thailand Post is cooperation from users show an identity card. Or passport (For foreign countries) Thailand Post

post-566-0-71693000-1433307916_thumb.jpg

Archived