Thai forest reclamation causing grief

webfact

Forest reclamation causing grief
Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

30261460-01_big.jpg?1433283598965

Poor villagers fear their rubber trees will be felled as part of the move

BANGKOK: -- THE Royal Forest Department is now proudly implementing its campaign to reclaim land from plantations that encroached on state forests - but this has caused tears and desperation for many poor citizens hit hard by the move.

More than 300 people gathered yesterday in front of the Pu Pha Man National Park in Khon Kaen province out of concern that the campaign will adversely affect their livelihoods.

They said they suddenly received notice that they must prove their rights to "their" land plots.

Department chief Theerapat Prayurasiddhi said, separately, yesterday that the agency expects to reclaim some 400,000 rai of forestland across the country by the end of this year.

"Next year, we will also reclaim 600,000 more rai of forestland," he said.

He said this meant the department would be able to give about one million rai of forestland back to the country in just two years.

More than 500 rai was reclaimed on Monday alone, he said. A large part of these reclaimed plots are in Sukhothai and Kamphaeng Phet provinces.

Similar operations also took place in Ubon Ratchathani and Chiang Mai.

Theerapat claimed locals did not object to the operations because there had been some communication between officials and locals beforehand.

But Chalarmsak Intakote, who works for a non-government organisation based near the Pu Pha Man National Park insisted yesterday that local people in his area were now getting worried.

"They are afraid that officials will suddenly cut down their rubber trees," he said yesterday.

Hundreds of locals who claim to have been allowed to live and make use of an area in the national park gathered to demand that relevant authorities give an assurance careful checks will be made in their presence before any trees are felled.

These people recently received a notice from authorities, asking them to prove their right to plots they now use.

There are 10 communities in Pu Pha Man. Seven of them have already proven their rights with state authorities pursuant to a 1998 Cabinet resolution. Three others have yet to undergo the officially recognised proving process, as they did not agree with the resolution.

A district chief in Khon Kaen met with the villagers yesterday and assured them that if they had not encroached further into the forest, their plantations would remain untouched.

After the assurance, locals dispersed.

Their fear lingered, however, as they had heard that officials had already cut down rubber trees in many other areas.

An elderly woman in Sakon Nakhon province last week lamented about her ravaged rubber plantation. "I am hurt and pained to see soldiers and forestry officials mercilessly destroy my rubber trees, the sources of income for my family," Jantra Bangthong said, "How will I pay for my grandchildren's education now?"

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Forest-reclamation-causing-grief-30261460.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-03

This is the thainess that everyone talks about! They steal the land and cut down the rainforest to grow rubber trees and then its "poor me" how can I pay my kids school? No regard for the laws they broke or the land they stole to make a profit. These people should be rounded up and all made to pay huge fines and then be forced to plant trees that will return the rainforests to their natural state.

How typical of this "government". No compassion and nothing well thought out.

So it looks like their reclamation plan is to cut down existing trees from the picture in the article. They might be crop trees, but trees serve a purpose, like producing oxygen and erosion control. Wouldn't it be better to do it in phases. For instance, plant real wild forest trees randomly and other forest flora around the illegal trees, then let the illegal crop eventually die out or come back and cut them down later. There are two benefits in doing this gradually; it gives the farmers more time to adjust and it doesn't created a barren area with no trees at all.

Nothing is ever well thought out here.

Edited by oneday

A district chief in Khon Kaen met with the villagers yesterday and assured them that if they had not encroached further into the forest, their plantations would remain untouched.

After the assurance, locals dispersed.

When the locals asked the district chief to put down his assurance in writing, certified and duly witnessed, authenticated with ID and house book copy..., the official dispersed promptly.

(Just me daydreaming whistling.gif )

Edited by klauskunkel

This is the thainess that everyone talks about! They steal the land and cut down the rainforest to grow rubber trees and then its "poor me" how can I pay my kids school? No regard for the laws they broke or the land they stole to make a profit. These people should be rounded up and all made to pay huge fines and then be forced to plant trees that will return the rainforests to their natural state.

Sorry, you're wrong. It is a rich corrupt politician (or connected with politician) who stole the public land and then employed poor people to cut the forest, plant new rubber trees and collect the rubber to make him more rich.

The fact they would be unable to 'pay huge fines' not withstanding, how are they expected to make a living after their plantations have been cut down? No welfare here. Sensible suggestions only please. No 'well they could all become roadsweepers/service the wealthy' (many already do).

Signed, a Treehugger and proud smile.png

Sorry, you're wrong. It is a rich corrupt politician (or connected with politician) who stole the public land and then employed poor people to cut the forest, plant new rubber trees and collect the rubber to make him more rich.

Um, not quite true. I know a family who settled land many years ago under the squatters' rule - 12 years empty and it's yours. After that it goes through all the varying sor por kors, nor sor kor until they can apply for Chanote. They are by no means the only ones.

I also know of many wealthy middle class Thais who've squatted literally thousands of rai and done nothing with it, simply to say they are large landowners with an eye on future megabaht sales.

Um, not quite true. I know a family who settled land many years ago under the squatters' rule - 12 years empty and it's yours. After that it goes through all the varying sor por kors, nor sor kor until they can apply for Chanote. They are by no means the only ones.

I also know of many wealthy middle class Thais who've squatted literally thousands of rai and done nothing with it, simply to say they are large landowners with an eye on future megabaht sales.

I believe you are right about the process. The sad thing is - and this applies not only to Thailand, but to most countries in the region - the land was not empty, it was occupied by forest, but just by classifying it as "empty" it betrays the belief that forests serve no useful purpose other than as a source of income from (illegal) timber sales and land speculation. Completely misguided.

it's interesting that the Thai gov't simply destroys what is on the property rather than using it to their advantage.

they destroy hotels and resorts which could be used as schools, they could use these rubber plantations to give jobs

to the people and use the money for people. But instead they just level everything. I don't get it. blink.png

it's interesting that the Thai gov't simply destroys what is on the property rather than using it to their advantage.

they destroy hotels and resorts which could be used as schools, they could use these rubber plantations to give jobs

to the people and use the money for people. But instead they just level everything. I don't get it. blink.png

Scorched earth we'll show 'em who's boss seems to be the MO. Ignorant.

wai2.gif

If a person occupies unused Chanote land in a peaceful manner (ie without intimidation or force) without leasing or being a dependent of the owner, and possesses the property with the intention of being the owner, ie builds on the land, then he may acquire the ownership of the property by adverse possession under Section 1382 of the Civil and Commercial Code after 10 years of uncontested occupation. If the owner of the property builds on the land then it is not considered unused and adverse possession does not apply.

If the land is not Chanote but one of the lesser titles then the period of occupancy may be as low as one year under Section 1375 of the Civil and Commercial Code.wai2.gif

So it looks like their reclamation plan is to cut down existing trees from the picture in the article. They might be crop trees, but trees serve a purpose, like producing oxygen and erosion control. Wouldn't it be better to do it in phases. For instance, plant real wild forest trees randomly and other forest flora around the illegal trees, then let the illegal crop eventually die out or come back and cut them down later. There are two benefits in doing this gradually; it gives the farmers more time to adjust and it doesn't created a barren area with no trees at all.

You are wrong. There can be no discussion of compassion if the rubber trees were illegally planted. No one should be allowed to profit from the proceeds of crime. These rubber farmers didn't give a damn when they stole the land from the crown which was holding it on behalf of the nation. And they didn't care about the environmental damage they caused.

The reason you are wrong is because you do not understand the ecology of these forest lands. The trees that had been there previously were more appropriate in respect to CO2 use and O2 generation. Rubber trees have a very different root system than natural forest trees. The rubber tree root system is not as effective at retaining soil as were the trees that they replaced. The concentration of rubber trees in one area makes it difficult to replant native vegetation because the leaf canopy is already established. The water table and soil nutrient balance along with insect pests and their natural controls have been destroyed by these rubber farmers. Instead, the land thieves used heavy doses of pesticides and herbicides to protect their rubber trees, damaging the soil and vegetation. There are no benefits to keeping an unnatural rubber tree plantation in place. If anything, there are far greater costs to the environment in the long term.

I counter that the government deserves praise for this activity and this is something I support 100%, Either we are against corruption and the protection of the shrinking national forests or we are not. There can't be any exceptions for the simple reason that such a position is how the forests were list in the first place.

wai2.gif

If a person occupies unused Chanote land in a peaceful manner (ie without intimidation or force) without leasing or being a dependent of the owner, and possesses the property with the intention of being the owner, ie builds on the land, then he may acquire the ownership of the property by adverse possession under Section 1382 of the Civil and Commercial Code after 10 years of uncontested occupation. If the owner of the property builds on the land then it is not considered unused and adverse possession does not apply.

If the land is not Chanote but one of the lesser titles then the period of occupancy may be as low as one year under Section 1375 of the Civil and Commercial Code.wai2.gif

These rules do not apply to the national preserves and/or crown land. The forests that were cut down and the land that was abused was a state forest and was protected from squatters rights because the intent was to keep the land unoccupied, i.e. that was its designated use.

Now, wait a damned minute. A GPS survey will show if there is encroachment. The Army is demanding the people produce deeds? These are NOT related issues at all, and are designed to push the poor off land they may have been granted decades ago. "They said they suddenly received notice that they must prove their rights to "their" land plots."

Do these anus clowns even understand the directives they are supposed to carry out?

And what about that land allegedly encroached at Kohs Samui and Samet by Suthep's son..?..no GPS survey, no military presence there to "take back the people's lands".

Despicable double standards and selective enforcement simultaneously. bah.gif

Edited by FangFerang

Now, wait a damned minute. A GPS survey will show if there is encroachment. The Army is demanding the people produce deeds? These are NOT related issues at all, and are designed to push the poor off land they may have been granted decades ago. "They said they suddenly received notice that they must prove their rights to "their" land plots."

Do these anus clowns even understand the directives they are supposed to carry out?

And what about that land allegedly encroached at Kohs Samui and Samet by Suthep's son..?..no GPS survey, no military presence there to "take back the people's lands".

Despicable double standards and selective enforcement simultaneously. bah.gif

Maybe there are double standards, or perhaps it is just easier to go against impoverished Issan people and not Suthep or the mobsters who control Phuket. I don't care. The fact is that the land encroachers are in the wrong and they know it. Consider this as low hanging fruit. It doesn't matter who gets nailed first as long as something is done.

What's wrong with asking people who are in a state forest to prove that they have a legal right to be there? We know that there were a large number of land department officials caught selling land that wasn't there. They were named on Phuket and soon, the government may move against the illegal land holders.

You are wrong. There can be no discussion of compassion if the rubber trees were illegally planted. No one should be allowed to profit from the proceeds of crime. These rubber farmers didn't give a damn when they stole the land from the crown which was holding it on behalf of the nation. And they didn't care about the environmental damage they caused.

The reason you are wrong is because you do not understand the ecology of these forest lands. The trees that had been there previously were more appropriate in respect to CO2 use and O2 generation. Rubber trees have a very different root system than natural forest trees. The rubber tree root system is not as effective at retaining soil as were the trees that they replaced. The concentration of rubber trees in one area makes it difficult to replant native vegetation because the leaf canopy is already established. The water table and soil nutrient balance along with insect pests and their natural controls have been destroyed by these rubber farmers. Instead, the land thieves used heavy doses of pesticides and herbicides to protect their rubber trees, damaging the soil and vegetation. There are no benefits to keeping an unnatural rubber tree plantation in place. If anything, there are far greater costs to the environment in the long term.

I counter that the government deserves praise for this activity and this is something I support 100%, Either we are against corruption and the protection of the shrinking national forests or we are not. There can't be any exceptions for the simple reason that such a position is how the forests were list in the first place.

So many posters here come at an issue like this with half educated western hats on, western property values, western concepts (like national parks), and try to apply western rules that might work in their (now) well educated, well informed, well organised, well regulated, well 'policed' homeland; but don't work here. What you should do is educate yourself about the issues facing millions of uneducated people in developing countries, who for thousands of years have scratched an existence from the land. Differentiate between poor people trying their best to earn a pittance and vast corporations systematically plundering the worlds natural resources to satisfy their greed. And if your history is not up to scratch read up about the Highland Land Clearances in Scotland and you'll find that our own history is somewhat tarnished in this regard; and that the seeds were laid then for discontent that continues to this day.

And its all too easy to preach to the developing world about conservation of forests, biomass, biodiversity, and the consequences of ignoring these issues, from the comfort of a western lifestyle funded by the systematic deforestation (long ago) of western countries to enable farming, followed by the systematic plundering of the colonies.

The government does not deserve praise. This problem exists on a huge scale, and by implementing this heavy handed 'solution' it simply creates further problems...hardly a good solution.

By comparison (and I'm happy to have my limited knowledge of Thailand corrected) the systematic redevelopment of opium growing lands into tea and coffee plantations that has enabled hill tribes to remain independent and able to subsist, was a far more positive, imaginative, long term solution to another illegal issue; but one that took account of the fact that peoples livelihoods were at stake.

So many posters here come at an issue like this with half educated western hats on, western property values, western concepts (like national parks), and try to apply western rules that might work in their (now) well educated, well informed, well organised, well regulated, well 'policed' homeland; but don't work here. What you should do is educate yourself about the issues facing millions of uneducated people in developing countries, who for thousands of years have scratched an existence from the land. Differentiate between poor people trying their best to earn a pittance and vast corporations systematically plundering the worlds natural resources to satisfy their greed. And if your history is not up to scratch read up about the Highland Land Clearances in Scotland and you'll find that our own history is somewhat tarnished in this regard; and that the seeds were laid then for discontent that continues to this day.

And its all too easy to preach to the developing world about conservation of forests, biomass, biodiversity, and the consequences of ignoring these issues, from the comfort of a western lifestyle funded by the systematic deforestation (long ago) of western countries to enable farming, followed by the systematic plundering of the colonies.

The government does not deserve praise. This problem exists on a huge scale, and by implementing this heavy handed 'solution' it simply creates further problems...hardly a good solution.

By comparison (and I'm happy to have my limited knowledge of Thailand corrected) the systematic redevelopment of opium growing lands into tea and coffee plantations that has enabled hill tribes to remain independent and able to subsist, was a far more positive, imaginative, long term solution to another illegal issue; but one that took account of the fact that peoples livelihoods were at stake.

One of the brainiest posts I have read on TV for years! thumbsup.gif

Had a similar problem and understand it. The thai who feels she owns that tree will return and cut it no matter what anyone tells her. Cutting and destroying creates a finality and clarity language and law do not. I lament the cutting and the attitude, but it does not work to leave the trees bc the cycle and the state of mind go on and on....

Actually I thought it was "very well thought out" !!!

Show me the paperwork or we cut down your illegal trees & reclaim the land... sends out the correct no "pissing around this time" message!!!

An elderly woman in Sakon Nakhon province last week lamented about her ravaged rubber plantation. "I am hurt and pained to see soldiers and forestry officials mercilessly destroy my rubber trees, the sources of income for my family," Jantra Bangthong said, "How will I pay for my grandchildren's education now?"

You state that you are a grandmother and for that reason alone I sympathise with you,

however the only thing that "hurts & pains me" is that you are intimating that you are the sole provider and are providing for your extended family and grand children's education when they should be providing for you... for that I have no sympathy, that is for your siblings to sort out !!!

Actually I thought it was "very well thought out" !!!

Show me the paperwork or we cut down your illegal trees & reclaim the land... sends out the correct no "pissing around this time" message!!!

But as we are finding out, documents issued by the Land Titles Office are not guaranteed to always be legitimate.

Your assumptions and presumptions are incorrect,. Worse, you don't understand which land is involved.

1. Most of the land targeted for reclamation were encroached in 2010 and onwards. Some of the smaller parcels go back before then.

The land stolen since 2010 is estimated to be in excess of 1 million rai. Large swathes of forest were replaced by the weed like rubber trees because rubber was a profitable commodity. People took advantage of the turmoil in the last year of the Abhisit administration. Then, the Yingluck administration would not take on the wealthy and powerful people who had grabbed large areas of land. No one was willing to act. Now that rubber prices have collapsed and many of the rubber tree plantations have been all but abandoned, the Royal Forest Department has an opportunity to clean up the mess.

2. I am not applying western rules, but am instead using the specific Thai law. I direct your attention to the National Forest Reserved Act of 2507 (1964) which replaced 3 earlier forest protection Acts.

(i) The Forest Protection and Reservation Act, B.E. 2481 (1938);

(ii) The Forest Protection and Reservation Act (No. 2), B.E. 2496 (1953);

(iii) The Forest Protection and Reservation Act (No. 3), B.E. 2497 (1954).

All of the disputed lands were previously identified as reserved land as per Section 9 and the information was made public.

Section 9. A copy of Ministerial Regulation and its annexed map under Section 6 paragraph two or Section 7 shall be notified at related district office or sub-district office, Kamnan (Tambon1 headman) office, and other public place in related locality.

3. Thailand has had a history of a protecting its vital forests. Historically, the land theft has been initiated and carried out by the wealthy and those in a position to carry out the thefts by way of their position in government. Historically, poor people have not taken the land because they were not in a position to do so. This characteristic continues today. Need some examples?

20--Mar-2015, Bang Sai Beach, Phuket - Mangrove reclamation project destroyed and all trees ripped up. An ''owner'' claimed 200 rai. Owner has local resort and described herself as having powerful friends in Bangkok.

16-Jan-2014 , Phuket Gazette reported PHUKET: National park officers yesterday raided the Anantara luxury resort in Phuket and filed a police complaint for alleged encroachment on park land.The Mai Khao resort stands accused of clearing swathes of sea morning glory from the beach and planting palm trees. Sirinath Marine National Park Chief Cheewapap Cheewatham, who led the raid, was accompanied by officers from the Cherng Talay Police.“We found that the hotel hired Tananon Co Ltd to clear the area, which is outside the boundaries marked on the resort’s Chanote land title,”

I can go on and on, but the above are typical examples of land encroachment into protected areas. I won't even go into the most egregious examples of the Bonanza or the abbot and his teak wood collection.

4. It is you who is applying western experience, because the Thai situation is very different than that which you describe in Scotland. There has been a tradition of protecting land and forests, especially the teak wood stands.

5. Your dismissal of aspects such as biodiversity demonstrates that you are not aware of the forestry departments activities. Thailand's Royal Forestry department is trying to protect the A1 and A2 class watersheds. The destruction of the natural vegetation and its replacement by water hungry rubber trees had a negative impact on the watersheds and has hurt local farming.

You make the assumption that the people involved are all small impoverished people. It is quite the contrary. The people implicated for the most part are wealthy and powerful. This is one of the reasons why there has been inaction to date. If it was just poor people, the situation would have been dealt with years ago.

Edited by geriatrickid

But isn't there a simple way to assure buyers can understand whether land being sold is legitimate? Step 1: forestry department adds their borders to google maps. Step 2: anyone interested in buying land steps inside with a smart phone / GPS to see if they are in or out. Completely eliminates being fooled by dodgy documents and corrupt officials. No excuses. Everyone knows where the border is.