Australian seriously injured by bison in Yellowstone National Park

webfact

Bison seriously injures 2nd Yellowstone tourist in 3 weeks

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyoming (AP) — For the second time in three weeks, a bison seriously injured a tourist in Yellowstone National Park who apparently underestimated how quickly the big, burly animals can move when miffed.

The bison tossed the 62-year-old Australian several times into the air Tuesday morning. The unidentified man was flown by helicopter to a hospital. He had serious but not life-threatening injuries.

The man wasn't the only person to blame for the encounter, park officials said. Several people crowded the bison as it lay on the grass near a paved sidewalk not far from the famous Old Faithful Geyser.

"The bison was already getting agitated," Yellowstone spokeswoman Amy Bartlett said.

The man stepped forward and snapped photos with an electronic notepad just 5 feet (1.52 meters) away from the animal, she said.

When the bison charged, the tourist had little chance to escape. Bison can weigh as much as a small car and run three times faster than a person.

Park officials recommend getting no closer to a bison than 25 yards.

It was the second bison attack in Yellowstone since summer tourist season began a month ago. A bison in the Old Faithful area gored a 16-year-old girl from Taiwan as she posed for a picture near the animal May 16.

The girl was treated at a hospital for serious but not life-threatening injuries and released, Bartlett said.

Many believe grizzly bears and wolves are Yellowstone's most dangerous animals. In fact, bison and elk attack a couple of people in the park every year and are responsible for more injuries, Bartlett said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-03

Many years ago while hiking in a remote area of Canada, I came over a hill and coming up the other side was a female buffalo with a calf. She snorted and I turned and ran down that hill as fast as my feet and gravity could take me. My encounter was completely by accident and both I and the buffalo were startled. Years before that I had been charged by a buffalo that was inside an enclosure and it scared me witless. It was old bull and he knew he couldn't get through the fence, so he stopped short of hitting it. I think he had experience with charging people who got a little too close to his enclosure. I stay very far from those creatures.

Many years ago while hiking in a remote area of Canada, I came over a hill and coming up the other side was a female buffalo with a calf. She snorted and I turned and ran down that hill as fast as my feet and gravity could take me. My encounter was completely by accident and both I and the buffalo were startled. Years before that I had been charged by a buffalo that was inside an enclosure and it scared me witless. It was old bull and he knew he couldn't get through the fence, so he stopped short of hitting it. I think he had experience with charging people who got a little too close to his enclosure. I stay very far from those creatures.

That park is a lot more wild than some people know. The animals run free and in that last horrible forest fire they didn't even fight it but let nature (lightning strikes) take its course. It's come back wonderfully.

It's a stunning place that I wish everyone could visit at least once as there's nothing else like it. But those animals are wild and dangerous and some people treat them (try to treat them) like pets despite all of the warnings.

I was in Oregon a few years ago at a place where the elk feed. The area was fenced off with signs saying not to approach nor feed the animals. Right out in the middle of about 50 of them, was some nut job saying some sort of chant and walking closer and closer to a few. Luckily, the police showed up and arrested him. Many were booing the police. They obviously have no idea how dangerous these animals are. And if this guy was attacked, they might close that part of the park down and restrict access to all. One bad apple....

For the second time in three weeks, a bison seriously injured a tourist in Yellowstone National Park who apparently underestimated how quickly the big, burly animals can move when miffed.

What is it with Australians and dangerous animals ?

You do not crowd bison and you do not pull a stingray by its tail or you are to get hurt, or worse.

Edited by Basil B

Thank you Scott for your many years ago tale.

Reminds me of the two guys out hiking through the woods. They come to a large clearing and start across. About half way, a Grizzly bear starts towards them from the other side. One guy whips off his backpack, pulls out a pair of tennis shoes and starts changing. "What are you doing?" he friend asks quickly, "You can't outrun a bear!"

"Don't need to outrun the bear.....just your slow ass." the guy replies.

For the second time in three weeks, a bison seriously injured a tourist in Yellowstone National Park who apparently underestimated how quickly the big, burly animals can move when miffed.

What is it with Australians and dangerous animals ?

You do not crowd bison and you do not pull a stingray by its tail or you are to get hurt, or worse.

How about that American woman leaving her window down, being mauled and killed in the South African

drive through lion reserve. Australians in no way have a lock on #1 in the dumb tourist moves contest.

Every country has them. whistling.gif

A buddy of mine in Canada, has mentioned to me similar stories with Moose and treats chance meetings with the same respect and of course clears out of there biggrin.png

Edited by Garry

My (Thai) wife enjoyed Yellowstone immensely. Probably her favorite place to visit ever. We pretty much saw every large mammal there. But I kept getting a shudder every time she enthused about her hoped for close look at a grizzly bear!

Just a quick tip for any guy who finds himself lonely in Wyoming, where men are men, women are scarce and sheep are nervous...

Sheep. Hit on the sheep. The sheep get nervous. The buffalo just get mad. I figured an Aussie would know that, being from wool country. But I guess you want different strange when you're overseas.

I was in Custer State Park in S. Dakota one year during the buffalo rut. GF and I were standing next to the car, contemplating a romantic walk in the meadow when a few of the bulls came by at full gallop. Got right back in the car, and still feared it wasn't enough protection. No way we were walking anywhere that day.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Edited by impulse

My (Thai) wife enjoyed Yellowstone immensely. Probably her favorite place to visit ever. We pretty much saw every large mammal there. But I kept getting a shudder every time she enthused about her hoped for close look at a grizzly bear!

If things don't work our for you and your wife...you can always take her back to Yellowstone to meet a grizzly up close and personal...wai2.gif

In northern California, a buddy of mine was riding his motorbike down a country road. A bull elk was staning in the middle of the road. Rather than bolt, it squared off and put its head down, standing its ground. My buddy, 5-joint-a-day smoker, says he couldn't veer away, so he plowed right into the beast. He got thrown. Can't recall what happened to the elk.

Ask an Australian the difference between a buffalo and a bison and he will answer "you can't wash your face in a buffalo".

So many Wildlife programs on TV, where the animals are seen in closeup, it is easy for the viewer to ignore the fact that wild animals are not pets. There is precious little understanding of real wildlife, with so many of today's urban population influenced by the sugary TV programs. Wildlife has become big business, which hasn't helped in people's perception of the "Law of the Jungle".

Years ago, there was a small article about a fighter jet taking off on a runway somewhere in Pakistan. A wild boar ran out of the woods and attacked the jet. If memory serves, the boar was sucked in the intake. ouch. but it disabled the jet.

Another human/beast interaction. A maintenance guy at a zoo was driving a little tractor lawn mower near a hippo pool. The guy and the hippo knew each other (not in the Biblical sense) - as the guy had often tossed food in her mouth. This time, the hippo came out of the pool and upended the tractor and driver. Jealous?

Not quite as dramatic, but 5 years ago, I went to an elephant farm in northern Thailand. About 8 beasts were standing around bored, each with a foot chained loosely. I bought a bunch of bananas for 20 baht and proceeded to give two to each elephant. All of a sudden I was knocked to the ground. The largest female, standing behind me, swung her trunk around and - blam, I was on the ground in a half second. Luckily she didn't follow-up with (as they say in yoga class) foot to the head pose, or else I'd be an ugly pancake. The message from her was clear: Don't give bananas to others, give them all to me! I could venture to make a comparison with other Thai females, but I'll refrain.