Making Bangkok cycle-friendly

webfact

MODELS FROM KMITL
Making capital cycle-friendly

The Nation

30261641-01_big.jpg?1433457672850

KMITL students offer models to help reduce carbon emissions in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- KING MONGKUT'S Institute of Technology Ladkrabang (KMITL) yesterday unveiled the models of three cycling facilities that could support Bangkok's bid to become a bicycle-friendly city and reduce carbon emissions.

The unveiling of the models preceded World Environment Day today. If these models are constructed, Bangkok bicyclists would benefit greatly.

Cycling has been promoted as a solution to not just Bangkok's traffic nightmare but also its serious pollution problem.

"If we travel around on bicycles, we can cut down air pollution," Dr Prapatpong Uppala of KMITL's faculty of architecture said yesterday.

He said cycling to work for a stretch of 6.5 kilometres a day could reduce carbon-dioxide emissions by 900 kilograms a year.

It is estimated that there are now more than 2 million cyclists in Thailand, he said. Of that number, about 150,000 live in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces. Another 260,000 people cycle for leisure, he said. "Cycling is also good to the environment," Prapatpong said.

He told a news conference yesterday that Bangkok was not yet friendly to cyclists, but he hoped the three cycling facilities designed by KMITL students could change that.

The models are for the Suvarnabhumi Bicycle Learning Centre for Bicyclists, the Bangkok Bicyclist Centre, and the Thailand Velodrome.

Jirawat Rungkitiyothin, a fifth-year student at the KMITL faculty of architecture, said his Suvarnabhumi Bicycle Learning Centre would aim to encourage the use of bicycles in everyday life.

"This centre will even include a 'bike town' where participants can find out what may happen to cyclists on roads," he said.

Pakornpat Charoenphan, who designed the Bangkok Bicyclist Centre, said his idea was to build a facility under a park-and-ride, urban-space theme.

"I expect this centre to offer vertical parking space for up to 2,720 bicycles, and it should sit near other main transport systems like the BTS and subway," he said. "My target location is a plot near the Chatuchak Weekend Market."

Issares Suwannatwipa, the student who came up with the Thailand Velodrome, said there were cycling tracks at four stadiums in Thailand but none met the standards laid down by Union Cycliste Internationale, the world governing body for sports cycling.

"So I think we will need to build one" that meets the standards, he added.

Prapatpong said it would take time for Bangkok to become a bicycle-friendly city and efforts could start with a study on the problems related to bicycle use and the needs of cyclists. "The next step is to develop a master plan based on the study, and engage all parties before, during and after the implementation" to follow it, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Making-capital-cycle-friendly-30261641.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-05

"Prapatpong said it would take time for Bangkok to become a bicycle-friendly city and efforts could start with a study on the problems related to bicycle use and the needs of cyclists. "The next step is to develop a master plan based on the study, and engage all parties before, during and after the implementation" to follow it, he said."

Only one solution will make Bangkok or any major metropolis bike friendly.

However I really doubt any govt will ban cars.

It is estimated that there are now more than 2 million cyclists in Thailand, he said. Of that number, about 150,000 live in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces. Another 260,000 people cycle for leisure, he said. "Cycling is also good to the environment," Prapatpong said

That's strange as all I see when I drive around is perhaps one or two lost farangs peddling from somewhere

to nowhere, and the garbage collectors who are too poor to afford a moto-cyce...

Maybe there are 2 millions of cyclers in Thailand , but most if no not all, are at home glued to the air-

conditioner now days....

That cardboard mockup is as robust as this idea will be.

Some moron on a motorbike will kill someone in the first week.

It will become a motorcycle pathway by default in no time.

Try punishing people all the time for breaking road rules. Make the punishments effective.

Discipline the nation of one third functionally illiterate adults to become responsible for their actions.

London has achieved 30 percent cycle usage, but that took decades and the efforts of 'cycling Boris' Even though I cycle like a maniac all over Thailand, I wouldn't dare to in Bangkok, it just looks like a thoroughly nasty experience, no cycle lanes and high pollution levels. Cycling to work really isn't an option here as your nice pressed shirt will be soaked through within a few minutes,and your Thai colleagues will look down on you because you are sweating heavily. Then, where to put the bike? Have you ever tried taking a bike into an office building in Bangkok? And lets face it, most Thai people want to exit the sitting position in front of the TV, and go to another sitting position in the car, with as few steps as possible in between.

Bangkok will be underwater long before this EVER happens.

Hell will freeze over before that becomes a reality.

Expect to see white crows and ravens before Bangkok becomes bicycle friendly.

I bicycled in Bangkok from Wongwienyai to Asoke everyday for three years (between 1997 and 1999).

It would make more sense to improve public transportation (buses, trams, trains) and reduce the number of privately owned vehicles to decongest traffic.

That cardboard mockup is as robust as this idea will be.

Some moron on a motorbike will kill someone in the first week.

It will become a motorcycle pathway by default in no time.

Try punishing people all the time for breaking road rules. Make the punishments effective.

Discipline the nation of one third functionally illiterate adults to become responsible for their actions.

Exactly what I was going to say. Not word for word, but in ideas.

In Thailand, there are two types of cyclists. The recreational cyclist and the commuter cyclist. Care to guess which of those two classes of cyclists is the overwhelming majority? So making the roads bicycle friendly is nothing but a pipe dream if it was intended to be an alternative form of transportation.

Bangkok needs a General Sheridan for getting it out of the dumps. Right after the US's Civil War (which was quite uncivil, btw), General Sheridan took his troops and rode over on horses, over 1,000 miles to Yellowstone - which was the world's first National Park. At that time, there were still Indians cruising around, and rowdie white folks, who would hunt game and shoot at each other. Some of the pioneers were setting up mining and logging and fur operations. Sheridan used his troops to maintain order and protect the wild beasts and forests. He wasn't ordered to do so by an official, but instead took it upon himself to actively/tangibly protect the environment. That's why Thailand needs someone like General Sheridan who can actively protect the environment - which is fast deteriorating. Environmental husbandry for Thailand won't happen by government decree, because environmental issues are a very low priority: much lower than the military, sangha, making money, maintaining power, buying vanity products/operations, keeping mia noi happy, gaining favor from power-brokers, family, traveling to Europe, etc.

Thailand is on the Chinese route of development: millions of tons of concrete to build people-structures in every direction, beyond the horizon - and the environment be dammed/damned. Thai attitude about 'wildness' is: if you want to see a pretty an non-ruined landscape or a wild animal, there are plenty pics of those online.

Edited by boomerangutang

Make a lane on the street and keep them off the sidewalks, keep the Damn motorcycles off the sidewalk as well. There is a Cycle, jog and walk bridge from Sukumvit Soi 10 to Lumpini. I walked it the other day had two joggers and i cyclist. Then on the sidewalk along Sukumvit Soi 10 to Soi 4 met with at least 10 cyclist on the side walk.

"Prapatpong said it would take time for Bangkok to become a bicycle-friendly city and efforts could start with a study on the problems related to bicycle use and the needs of cyclists. "The next step is to develop a master plan based on the study, and engage all parties before, during and after the implementation" to follow it, he said."

Only one solution will make Bangkok or any major metropolis bike friendly.

However I really doubt any govt will ban cars.

and motorbikes and all the small seller blocking the sides

"Cycling is also good to the environment"

How is that?

And how does cycling reduce carbon emissions? (And what would be the problem with the carbon emissions? The problem is that gasoline purchase finance the crazys in Arab countries).

It does not. It would only if you use the bicycle instead of the car. Not if you go with the car to the Suvarnabhumi bicycle area, cycle there an hour and go back with the car.

Good for health but not for environment.

Put signs on the posts and paint lines in the road all you want.

If they are totally ignored by the public because they either don't know or don't care what they mean, and the police also don't know or see no profit in enforcing them, nothing will change.

Bangkok needs a General Sheridan for getting it out of the dumps. Right after the US's Civil War (which was quite uncivil, btw), General Sheridan took his troops and rode over on horses, over 1,000 miles to Yellowstone - which was the world's first National Park. At that time, there were still Indians cruising around, and rowdie white folks, who would hunt game and shoot at each other. Some of the pioneers were setting up mining and logging and fur operations. Sheridan used his troops to maintain order and protect the wild beasts and forests. He wasn't ordered to do so by an official, but instead took it upon himself to actively/tangibly protect the environment. That's why Thailand needs someone like General Sheridan who can actively protect the environment - which is fast deteriorating. Environmental husbandry for Thailand won't happen by government decree, because environmental issues are a very low priority: much lower than the military, sangha, making money, maintaining power, buying vanity products/operations, keeping mia noi happy, gaining favor from power-brokers, family, traveling to Europe, etc.

Thailand is on the Chinese route of development: millions of tons of concrete to build people-structures in every direction, beyond the horizon - and the environment be dammed/damned. Thai attitude about 'wildness' is: if you want to see a pretty an non-ruined landscape or a wild animal, there are plenty pics of those online.

Unfortunately this is so, Thais have little or no interest in a natural environment. Despite many years living in the Thai countryside I have yet to see any wild animals apart from rats, dogs, reptiles and some birds. At my own house with 2 rai, I let nature do it's thing, it's a jungle and I only cut something down if it starts to brush against the house. The place has filled up with many species of birds,[swallows have built nests on the house], three types of squirrels, bats, frogs, lizards and so on. It's amazing what you can achieve with a piece of land if you don't dig it, hack at it, saw at it, put bright lights all over the place, blast it with music, but just leave it the f//k alone.

Better have showers at work. I for one love the idea but nobody is going to want to be around me if I cycle to work in long sleeve and tie.

As a rule cycling appeals to the soap-dodgers, at least western ones,adding to the problem

There are indeed a lot of cyclists here.

There's also a lot of great places to cycle in Bangkok. Especially out saphan sung way.

In fact, you can go on a car free ride on the klong paths on an 80km round route. Not a car in sight.

You can meander through minor roads too.

Certainly sounds better than risking the major roads and getting clipped by someone undertaking.

Trouble is, and I am amazed it isnt mentioned. All this is spoilt by idiotic dog owners that let aggressive fidos roam around. This is especially problematic on the narrow klong paths.

So risk the cars or risk the dogs.

On my bike, what at first glance looks like a pump is actually an extendable police baton. I have pepper spray in my back pocket. Against a big dog, i dont rate my chances.

I have been bitten too. Ended up having 5 rabies shots.

Thailand will never be bike friendly whilst dogs are forcing people off the best places to ride.

Edited by pedro01

Great pipe dream - plus will cases of lung cancer be on he rise as the bicyclists will inhale ten times the amount of CO2 than people driving cars or resting at home. Unless all bicyclists wear gas masks, they'll die off like flies - who will need the bicycle tracks then? Noodle soup vendors???

Does this guy not realize that by 7am it's already about 30degrees outside. Who is going to bicycle to work in this heat. In my village where we have an outdoor pool, on the weekend not a person is to be found outside during the day but once 7pm comes around,look out.

If only all the pessimism here could be harnessed somehow and turned into positive action. What a world that could be. whistling.gif

I cycle to work in Bangkok every day, from Thonburi to Siam. Some stretches along a few of the bigger roads seem a bit tricky but are easy to navigate if you're alert. There are plenty of empty sidewalks to ride along for most of my route, and small side sois with hardly any traffic. I wear a biking shirt during the ride, keep my work shirt in a bag. Wash my face in the bathroom at work, sprinkle a bit of powder on me, put on some pit-stick, my work shirt, and I'm good to go.

The solution isn't for everyone, obviously - if you live in Mo Chit and work on Rama III it ain't gonna work, but commuting by bike is faster, cheaper, and more enjoyable than transit/car for me and many of my friends.

Better have showers at work. I for one love the idea but nobody is going to want to be around me if I cycle to work in long sleeve and tie.

As a rule cycling appeals to the soap-dodgers, at least western ones,adding to the problem

Tominbkk, That's why God invented electric bicycles. (Showers, exercise equipment and changing rooms at work are still a good idea)

Prbkk- not true. I'll leave it at that.

...presented this idea over 2 years ago....they laughed me out of the office....

I am a push biker at 77 and its amazing what the death of 5 or 6 cyclist will do. The bandwagon pulls up and everybody wants to climb aboard. Its a great idea but do not put the cart before the horse. Have the infrastructure needed in place first. Do things gradually. Do not blow the horn of hope and hype and then slowly ride off into the sunset leaving a good idea behind which is common here. As much as I think this is a good idea there are other more important priorities. Corruption being number one on the hit list. This will not be rooted out in one man's lifetime but people want to see action to give them hope. The poor and disenfranchised are most vulnerable to corruption and they can least afford it.