Making Bangkok cycle-friendly

webfact

For the most part bangkokian cyclists do not see the bicycle as a form of transport, it,s just a lycra clan who transport their bicycles in a pickup to where they intend to ride and talk about how light/expencive their bike is,

No way will they park these bikes anywhere.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I've got two very nice parcels, each with soaring limestone cliffs adjoing. If I was Thai, I'd hire some construction workers to blast and grind the rocks to dust, and sell it as cement. There are also big trees (34" diameter, chest height), some I've planted, and others seeded themselves. If I was Thai, I'd have wood cutters come in and chop 'em down - and then plant every sq. meter with pineapples, as my neighbors do. Money is God here, so they'll do everything possible to make more of the stuff. But I'm not Thai, so the rocks will stay, and the trees will fall when they're too old to stay standing, as long as I have any input on the matter.

"Cycling is also good to the environment"

How is that?

And how does cycling reduce carbon emissions? (And what would be the problem with the carbon emissions? The problem is that gasoline purchase finance the crazys in Arab countries).

It does not. It would only if you use the bicycle instead of the car. Not if you go with the car to the Suvarnabhumi bicycle area, cycle there an hour and go back with the car.

Good for health but not for environment.

You're right, reducing the number of cars on the road in Bangkok by getting people to ride bicycles wouldn't affect pollution in the city at all.

In Europe there is a required mandatory annually check up for all cars older then 3 years why this is not yet in Thailand?

Cars that pollute too much and or are not in a safe condition will not be tolerated on the roads..

Good system and it creates revenues too...

"Cycling is also good to the environment"

How is that?

And how does cycling reduce carbon emissions? (And what would be the problem with the carbon emissions? The problem is that gasoline purchase finance the crazys in Arab countries).

It does not. It would only if you use the bicycle instead of the car. Not if you go with the car to the Suvarnabhumi bicycle area, cycle there an hour and go back with the car.

Good for health but not for environment.

You're right, reducing the number of cars on the road in Bangkok by getting people to ride bicycles wouldn't affect pollution in the city at all.

Cycling as a commuting option could reduce pollution. As H90 points out, tossing the cycle into the car to haul it (round trip) to a safe place to ride wouldn't have so much benefit.

The human body as a power source is extremely inefficient and you have to feed it pretty expensive stuff (clean, edible food) to get any power out of it. Most of us foreigners have excess fat we can burn, but I wonder what the cost would be for a skinny person if they had to eat more just to generate the pedal energy. May be cheaper to put gas into a scooter to go 10 km than put food and bottled water into a bicyclist to go the same distance. (The excess weight of 4 wheel vehicles would probably make that a very different comparison.) It would be interesting to see the numbers. I'm sure someone has done the math.

Cycling as a commuting option could reduce pollution. As H90 points out, tossing the cycle into the car to haul it (round trip) to a safe place to ride wouldn't have so much benefit.

The human body as a power source is extremely inefficient and you have to feed it pretty expensive stuff (clean, edible food) to get any power out of it. Most of us foreigners have excess fat we can burn, but I wonder what the cost would be for a skinny person if they had to eat more just to generate the pedal energy. May be cheaper to put gas into a scooter to go 10 km than put food and bottled water into a bicyclist to go the same distance. (The excess weight of 4 wheel vehicles would probably make that a very different comparison.) It would be interesting to see the numbers. I'm sure someone has done the math.

I'm writing a sci-fi story about robots taking over the planet, as told by a robot. Impulse's opinion, above, sounds like it would fit right in. brought a smile to my face.

P.S. I'm a thin person, and can't think of any reason to bicycle, other than getting from point A to point B. ha ha ha. No concern for views, for staying healthy, for meeting people (it's easier on a bike than in a car). In Thailand, every car has tinted windows, with the windows cranked shut. The only exception are perhaps one out of 1,000 like my car - which has not tinted windows, and they're open to let in air. Granted, if I resided in a big dirty/loud city like Bkk, I'd have to do as the natives do, and shut out the outside world.

Try this: go to the largest parking lot near you in Thailand. Every car, without exception, will have tinted windows and every window will be cranked tightly shut. Just hope there's no baby or pet stuck inside.

Does this guy not realize that by 7am it's already about 30degrees outside. Who is going to bicycle to work in this heat. In my village where we have an outdoor pool, on the weekend not a person is to be found outside during the day but once 7pm comes around,look out.

True, its hot during the day.. but if you get on your bike by about 6 am its around 28 to 29 degrees..

'Prapatpong said it would take time for Bangkok to become a bicycle-friendly city ...' Hell, it's still struggling to become pedestrian-friendly.

It wont be friendly as long as the damn motorcyclists keep on driving the way they do... complete disregard to safety, traffic rules and anyone else.. I still think their behaviour is a reflection of the poor discipline and moral fabric of Thai society.."Dont care about anyone else but yourself... do whatever if you want...regardless if it is unsafe.. violate traffic rules.. and least of all if it is not courteous"

'Prapatpong said it would take time for Bangkok to become a bicycle-friendly city ...' Hell, it's still struggling to become pedestrian-friendly.

It wont be friendly as long as the damn motorcyclists keep on driving the way they do... complete disregard to safety, traffic rules and anyone else.. I still think their behaviour is a reflection of the poor discipline and moral fabric of Thai society.."Dont care about anyone else but yourself... do whatever if you want...regardless if it is unsafe.. violate traffic rules.. and least of all if it is not courteous"

I hear what you are saying and do agree.... But get a Thai person in a normal environment and they are pleasant nice people, put them in a driving seat and the Devil takes over ??? I can't fathom it out...

Better have showers at work. I for one love the idea but nobody is going to want to be around me if I cycle to work in long sleeve and tie.

As a rule cycling appeals to the soap-dodgers, at least western ones,adding to the problem

as a rule arch pronouncements are the domain of the ignorant.

you most certainly qualify.

Edited by HooHaa

all i see are excuses

too dangerous

too hot

too polluted

etc etc etc.

i have been riding my bike in Bangkok every day for about the last 10 years.

the excuses fall as flat as the city streets.

all i see are excuses

too dangerous

too hot

too polluted

etc etc etc.

i have been riding my bike in Bangkok every day for about the last 10 years.

the excuses fall as flat as the city streets.

I hope your lungs are coping. I heard just a trip on public transport for 1 hour, anywhere in Bkk, will result in a film of black soot on a person's face. If you like cycling and don't have to hang in Bkk, why not find a healthier locale?