Somyot rejects request for him to strip Thaksin of police rank again

Lite Beer

So, Thaksin unfairly sentenced, as some believe that is. This because is seems to some and it was alleged by other that that is so.

Anyway, our favourite criminal fugitive is still defended by posters who would immediately write their representative if a police officer jumping bail would not be stripped of his rank.

Rubl for someone who normally writes quite well, that post is one of your more confusing ones.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called trial in abstention and is used in almost every legal system throughout the world.

Note that in that particular instance he was convicted based on evidence that his legal team was not allowed to hear. Which is less common.

Silly me. I thought that Thaksin and his lawyers were present throughout the trial which would mean that they must have heard what was going on.

Do you have any link that says they were not present at the trial?

They were present at the trial. They were not allowed to hear or answer testimony from Pridiyathorn Devakula, then governor of the BOT. His testimony is significant as, on paper, it was him and not the Prime Minister who was the one with ultimate jurisdiction over the FIDF.

If you're trying to figure out what happened, maybe start with the pages linked from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potjaman_Na_Pombejra#Ratchadaphisek_land_purchase_controversy

Folks will make their own minds up I guess. Some more quickly than others.

So, where is the proof of the secret testimony?

BTW the reasoning in wiki is faulty as surely the FIDF felt under the BoT which falls under the MoF which falls under the PM. That why the Yingluck government could move 1.4 billion Baht of NPLs from FIDF to under the BoT carpet (where it still is) because the government had control.

If only the Amply Rich PM and his then wife could have shown some more restrained. Thaksin going into politics and becoming PM simply knew he'd have to put personal affairs aside as he was serving the Thai people. Too rich to need to be corrupt, but not rich enough to skip a nice business deal? Poor old chap, At least another former PM has repented (somewhat) and served hundreds of hours community service helping altheimer patients, but that's of topic as being in a functioning democracy.

So, Thaksin unfairly sentenced, as some believe that is. This because is seems to some and it was alleged by other that that is so.

Anyway, our favourite criminal fugitive is still defended by posters who would immediately write their representative if a police officer jumping bail would not be stripped of his rank.

Rubl for someone who normally writes quite well, that post is one of your more confusing ones.

Well thank you for those kind words, but no need. Let's just strip Thaksin of his police rank. Criminal bail jumping fugitives still holding a police officer rank. That's so unbelievable, if it wouldn't be in Thailand that is. Impossible in countries where most of the posters here originally come from.

Well thank you for those kind words, but no need. Let's just strip Thaksin of his police rank. Criminal bail jumping fugitives still holding a police officer rank. That's so unbelievable, if it wouldn't be in Thailand that is. Impossible in countries where most of the posters here originally come from.

It is unusual, but really who gives a toss? In most countries no one gives a damn whether someones a policeman, and you obviously would not use that in your title, which they so proudly do in Thailand.

I really cannot understand why everyone is making such an issue out of it, just strip him of it, or don't, no one cares, and it has no bearing on TS or what he does or does not do. If it was such an issue why has it taken so long for this to even happen...

Its just a mountain out of a molehill and I am sure that the police, the commissioners and whoever else is involved should have some more productive police work to be getting on with.

"According to the 2004 regulation on police rank, an officer is to be stripped their rank if they violate the regulation through behaviour that damages the dignity and reputation of police, he said."

So, the "reputation" of Police is not damaged by the criminal fugitive Thaksin? I think I sense the connection here whistling.gif

Edit: My italics.

Edited by lvr181

It is unusual, but really who gives a toss? In most countries no one gives a damn whether someones a policeman, and you obviously would not use that in your title, which they so proudly do in Thailand.

I really cannot understand why everyone is making such an issue out of it, just strip him of it, or don't, no one cares, and it has no bearing on TS or what he does or does not do. If it was such an issue why has it taken so long for this to even happen...

Its just a mountain out of a molehill and I am sure that the police, the commissioners and whoever else is involved should have some more productive police work to be getting on with.

Not sure about who gives a toss - but I'm sure Thaksin considers "face" as a major consideration.

"The first criteria details seven serious offences and the second explains whether such offence or misbehaviour will damage the reputation of the organisation, or is considered a dishonour to remain in the police rank, he said."

So doesn't being a convicted fugitive on the run fall into any of these categories ie. dishonoring the police force??? Or do they consider a fugitive on the run as standard operating procedure for a person to hold police ranking?

No it won't damage the reputation of the police.

Damage the reputation of the police is like killing a corpse. So it is legally not possible to strip his rank based on this.

One thing I love about the convictions though, he was convicted without being present. How can you have a trial like that?

It's called trial in abstention and is used in almost every legal system throughout the world.

Yes - for MINOR offenses

I think the chief is hedging his bet, ( and his head ) against the possibility that one day, maybe,

Mr T. will come back to claim his powers back one the current PM will put out to green pastures....

Hedging bets? i would be appeasing the man in control of a million guns who just happens to be running the country right now.

That no one in most countries would give a toss if someone is a policeman is beside the point. The point being that here a criminal bail-jumping fugitive is still holding a police rank and the National Police Chief seeing nothing wrong with that.

One thing I love about the convictions though, he was convicted without being present. How can you have a trial like that?

Yes - for MINOR offenses

You mean to suggest that Thaksin was charged and convicted of something not a minor offence? Strange, it was but a "conflict of interest", personal rather than public.

Edited by rubl

what I would like to know is why is the police chief above the courts?

good question ....

but my question : why an army is above an elected Government by 2 times already..?? (and more in the past )wink.png

Because (and this is part of the countries underlying problem) the Army is only accountable to the Monarchy, not the people through the elected government, I believe from what I have read.

this is really Thailands problem, and its the one thing they cant discuss. its not only obvious that the two systems are opposed to each other, we can see from the last 75 years or so of history that its going to lead to coup after coup. until this problem is confronted there will be no change and Thailand is doomed to be run by puppet dictators, or if it can be arranged, puppet politicians. government for the people is not an option under the current system, no matter how they rewrite the constitution the underlying foundation remains the same and so do the results.

what I would like to know is why is the police chief above the courts?

good question ....

but my question : why an army is above an elected Government by 2 times already..?? (and more in the past )wink.png

Because (and this is part of the countries underlying problem) the Army is only accountable to the Monarchy, not the people through the elected government, I believe from what I have read.

this is really Thailands problem, and its the one thing they cant discuss. its not only obvious that the two systems are opposed to each other, we can see from the last 75 years or so of history that its going to lead to coup after coup. until this problem is confronted there will be no change and Thailand is doomed to be run by puppet dictators, or if it can be arranged, puppet politicians. government for the people is not an option under the current system, no matter how they rewrite the constitution the underlying foundation remains the same and so do the results.

Nice try guys, but the real problem here is a National Police Chief who seems too much of a bureaucrat who only feels absolutely safe when he has all possible papers covering all possible situations even if that means he still need another year or two before he can make a safe decision. Unless he can find a safe way to cover his a_s of course. Then things might move at slightly less than a glacial pace rolleyes.gif