Buying an elephant.

papa al

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We can't really help you unless we know the region where you live. Buying an elephant is not like buying a loaf of bread.

Much akin to buying a good loaf of bread; but why does his location make a difference? Certainly, any pick-up can carry an elephant.

I have eaten both elephant and ostrich. Ostrich meat is tough and stringy but it makes very good jerky or biltong. Elephant meat is so tough it is virtually inedible except for the trunk, that is quite tender. The best way to cook it is the braise trunk meat that has been cut into slices. It tastes quite like oxtail. However if you eat it cooked like this don't be put off by the two holes in the meat where the nostrils were.

Maybe the OP can tell us whether he wants an elephant to eat, or just for a pet.

I hope he doesn't live in Bangkok, they are banned there last I heard.

Also it will be a life long commitment not just a short term thing, they live a long time, but if you have the room, why not, they are gorgeous things BUT handling is key, they can also be lethal. I fancy an ostrich personally ( enough of my sexual preferencelaugh.png )

Ostrich meat tastes better than elephant

I think elephant meat must be cooked forever to get soft. Surely nothing for an evening barbecue....Well the steak maybe and there should be lot of steak.

The African elephants have very big ears, so should have a lot of steak.

Why not just marry an American lady, give her a generous allowance, let her eat all the American food that she desires, fairly soon you will have an elephant. I have seen many American men adopt this method, it seems to work every time.

In that case there are plenty of them in Pattaya, but without the tattooes and facial hair.

This reminds me of why white elephants are gifted.

You give your worst enemy a white elephant. It is considered so auspucious that he can't get rid of it, and the cost of feeding it kills him financially

Think long and hard about the cost of maintaining it, considerably more than the sick buffalo, busted pickup or granny's operation.

In answer to your question, I have no idea where you can buy one or what the cost will be.

Why not just marry an American lady, give her a generous allowance, let her eat all the American food that she desires, fairly soon you will have an elephant. I have seen many American men adopt this method, it seems to work every time.

With the added bonus in that she will keep you warm in winter.......and provide shade in summer.............

can you please send me a few grams of what your smoking , as the weather must be wonderful

on YOUR planet ......

but if you are for real and looking for a pet , i have 2 " unicorns " looking for a good home we

can work out a fair price ....

This may come as a shock to you, but there are people in Thailand who own elephants. I'm pretty sure they didn't all go out and catch their own either.

My mate Paddy wanted to own an Elephant as well, but everyone said he must be mad.

So Paddy went to see a psychologist.

"Doc" Paddy asked "I have two questions to ask"

"OK" said the Doc

"First question Doc, am I mad to love an Elephant enough to own it"

"Absolutely" said the Doc.

"OK" said Paddy. "Second question. Do you know anyone who wants to buy a large engagement ring"?

Two old Jewish friends meet on the street.

Abie says to Hymie "Hymie, have I got a bargain for you!

I can let you have an elephant for 600 shekels!"

Hymie replies "Abie, are you crazy? I live in a 21st floor condominium - where am I going to keep an elephant?"

So Abie then says "OK, OK, how about TWO elephants for 1,000 shekels?"

And Hymie says "Ah, now you're talking!"

Shalom Best iv read for years ,

Also it will be a life long commitment not just a short term thing, they live a long time, but if you have the room, why not, they are gorgeous things BUT handling is key, they can also be lethal. I fancy an ostrich personally ( enough of my sexual preferencelaugh.png )

Yeah but where can I get Burger bread that big????

I am certain that you need a special permit. To be honest in all of my years here, I have heard some silly requests but this tops the cake.

Why is this request silly?

If one has the resources and the inclination, why not rear an Elephant?

Some have dogs, cats, mice as pets...

Why??

Elephants live for a very long time and are emotionally tied to their human.

How old are you?

How much longer will the op be around??

The op has not stated what his motives are for owning an elephant and what his plans are for the creature.

Unlike dogs, cats and mice they are a huge responsibility.

They require a lot of room, food and maintainance.

They are also very social animals that need to be with their own kind....can you provide other elephants for it to be with or will you condem it to a life of lonelyness?

An elephant is not a pet!

It is very debatable if they should even be kept in captivity.

This may just be a troll post.

For the sake of the elephants, I hope it is not a serious enquiry.

And what is here different than for a dog?

Dogs are emotional tied to their humans.

They are a huge responsibility

They are very social animals

But they are smaller.....

What about when it craps in the living room?

lot people loos the brain when they get to bangkok airport ,spend all the life saving on Miss Sweet thailand ,but to buy Elephant is going little to fare ,take trip to europe get back to normal

Ha Im way smarter than that, I lost mine before I got here then stupidly married a Thai 10 years ago.

Whats the worlds biggest ANT, GIANT or ELEPHANT?

I think elephant meat must be cooked forever to get soft. Surely nothing for an evening barbecue....Well the steak maybe and there should be lot of steak.

The African elephants have very big ears, so should have a lot of steak.

I just read the prices from DHL, shipping for an Elephant from Africa to here is expensive and DHL often makes the customs declaration wrong do you don't know what you pay for duty.

Pick us up giraffe when your getting an elephant.

Giraffes are impossible to get in Thailand.

As you know they come from Africa. You can't transport them per airplane, as the neck is too long. Airplanes are not high enough.

You could transport them on ships, but even on big ships the head would stick out into the wind and the poor animals get a cold and die.

I am certain that you need a special permit. To be honest in all of my years here, I have heard some silly requests but this tops the cake.

Why is this request silly?

If one has the resources and the inclination, why not rear an Elephant?

Some have dogs, cats, mice as pets...

Why??

Elephants live for a very long time and are emotionally tied to their human.

How old are you?

How much longer will the op be around??

The op has not stated what his motives are for owning an elephant and what his plans are for the creature.

Unlike dogs, cats and mice they are a huge responsibility.

They require a lot of room, food and maintainance.

They are also very social animals that need to be with their own kind....can you provide other elephants for it to be with or will you condem it to a life of lonelyness?

An elephant is not a pet!

It is very debatable if they should even be kept in captivity.

This may just be a troll post.

For the sake of the elephants, I hope it is not a serious enquiry.

I agree... Papa Al. I suggest that before you look for an elephant that you look for a part of your heart that's not working at the moment. If you find the missing piece ask it your question.

I think i'll just rent one for my next birthday, I need something to entertain the guests with.

Even if some of the guests almost qualify as a stand-in for one.

400,000- 500,000 in Surin but keep in mind they are "happier" in pairs.

That's no joke. Maybe a young female and her mother and at least one Aunt might be ideal. Elephants live off of grass and water. Where is this huge expense many are talking about????