Bangkok University officially endorses uniform gender choice

webfact

Bangkok University officially endorses uniform gender choice
By Coconuts Bangkok

8-3_0.jpg
Photos: Bangkok University School of Fine and Applied Arts

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok University has officially announced an alternative dress code enabling “tomboys” and “ladyboys” to wear whichever uniform they prefer.

The new rules announced yesterday by the university's School of Fine and Applied Arts drew positive feedback from students and alumni alike, as the university became the first educational institution in Thailand to allow students to dress according to their gender identity.

“Here’s the uniform for alternative genders,” the school wrote along with images showing photos of students wearing them. “We, the School of Fine and Applied Arts has an open view on sexuality, but let’s dress appropriately to follow the rules.”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/06/08/bangkok-university-officially-endorses-uniform-gender-choice

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-06-08

How about doing away with the school uniform altogether. These are adults and they should be treated as such. There can still be a dress code.

It is regrettable that university administrators worry about uniform compliance and not academic quality.

How about doing away with the school uniform altogether. These are adults and they should be treated as such. There can still be a dress code.

It is regrettable that university administrators worry about uniform compliance and not academic quality.

Well the university administrators have to been seen to be doing something right and it's certainly not ensuring a high standard of academic learning or the culling out all those students who would be far better-off entering trade training or other useful training what would be useful to the students and the country long term.

I wholeheartedly agree. Uniforms for teachers, too, should be a thing of the past.

But at least BKK Uni is advancing a little with this concession.

BU - my old employer wink.png ... I'm all for it. Some posters missed the main point, which is to allow more freedom of choice for those of us who don't fit into the standard gender appearance norms.

I am still in favor of the uniforms, as those who have less money for clothes can look just as good as those who are 'swimming in it'. Very important in a society where appearance and face is everything.

what about the lesbians, don't they have a choice of uniform?

Ummmm...all students get to dress according to their gender identity. I suppose sexual preference can ride on that coat tail....but what uniform would lesbians want to wear, in your opinion?

I suspect you've got a rather odd view of the subject of gender identity and sexual preference, because it was a rather odd question.

Looking at the photos, it must have been a very silly situation before. Female-looking lady boys having to wear male clothes and male-looking tomboys having to wear a dress but not vice verca.....the change in policy simply means common sense has prevailed.

A uniformed nation where every parking lot attendant is dressed like a North Korean general. All I miss is the jumper wings on the tomboy...

I thought you were talking about the US for a moment - where every official of any kind gets to wear a nice big badge!

These are not school uniforms. They are university students. The clue was in the title "Bangkok University".

You do realize the difference, don't you?

Many schools in many countries require the wearing of a uniform. Some are very expensive high performing schools. Some Universities in Asia choose to have a uniform. In other countries social norms and fashion dictates the unofficial uniform of the day.

So what?

What are you on about? Do you not know what a Tom is?

Lesbians and females who want to transition to the male GENDER are very different things.

Also, typically a gay male would most certainly NOT want to attend school in a dress!

Only males with gender identity variances would wish to do that.

Gay male means liking dudes ... different than thinking you're a girl.

Edited by Jingthing

Love it! Only in Thailand smile.png

There are still reasons to love this country clap2.gif

There are still reasons to love leave this country.clap2.gif

What are you waiting for?

My thought exactly. I piss and moan and whinge about this place, and I HAVE bought my ticket outta here, but THIS is one of the endearing things I will miss (along with bum guns and soapies).

You have to laugh reading American gay males getting upset that Thai gay males like frilly underthings (figuratively speaking). It is like getting out of one closet only to find out you are still in a closet.

Hold your horses. What percentage of Thai campuses with uniforms do you reckon actually allow persons to dress in the gender uniform of their choice, rather than their biological gender?

People are acting like the policy at B.U. is Thailand wide. It clearly is nothing like that.

Anyway, good for B.U. and other campuses with such flexible compassionate policies.

Edited by Jingthing

A uniformed nation where every parking lot attendant is dressed like a North Korean general. All I miss is the jumper wings on the tomboy...

I'm sure both "genders" will find a way to "accessorise" the basic uniform (not sure about the "skinny trousers" for the ladyboy though) !!

Ummmm...all students get to dress according to their gender identity. I suppose sexual preference can ride on that coat tail....but what uniform would lesbians want to wear, in your opinion?

I suspect you've got a rather odd view of the subject of gender identity and sexual preference, because it was a rather odd question.

What are you on about? Do you not know what a Tom is?

There are also the lesbian girlfriends of Toms, which to me look like regular girls