Indian city to pay residents to use public toilets

webfact

Indian city to pay residents to use public toilets

(AFP)A city council in western India is planning to pay residents to use public toilets in a desperate attempt to stop legions of people urinating and defecating in public.

The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation has decided to give residents one rupee a visit in a bid to draw them into its 300 public toilets and away from open areas and public walls, which often reek of urine.

AMC health officer Bhavikk Joshi said the offer would be trialed at 67 public facilities across Ahmedabad, the main city in western Gujarat state, where officers will give a coin to each user.

"Once successful the project will be implemented in all the 300 public toilets in Ahmedabad," Joshi told AFP on Monday.
The move is the latest effort to motivate people to use toilets after India's government announced a cleanliness drive last year championed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Full story: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/indian-city-pay-residents-public-toilets-070225726.html

-- YAHOO! NEWS 2015-06-09

Yep a recent study surprisingly showed that India do not have any toilets, people just shit and pee wherever they can. That is the main reason why many Indians grow up stumped because of so frequently being affected by infections brought on by poor sanitation during childhood.

This public service ad came out a year or two ago....the problem is so huge.

Incredible. I toured around Delhi, Jaipour & Agra many years ago and don't recall a poo problem but maybe I was screened from it by my host.

Yep a recent study surprisingly showed that India do not have any toilets, people just shit and pee wherever they can. That is the main reason why many Indians grow up stumped because of so frequently being affected by infections brought on by poor sanitation during childhood.

laugh.png

I lived in India for a couple of years - Chennai (Madras) and traveled around a bit. Great country, wonderful people. fantastic food.

However, at that time (12 years ago) the statistic was 25% of the population of 1,5 billion did not have access to a toilet. That is a lot of people doing their daily bodily functions in the open.

Getting people to change that habit was massively difficult, even with more toilets being built.

This public service ad came out a year or two ago....the problem is so huge.

Incredible. I toured around Delhi, Jaipour & Agra many years ago and don't recall a poo problem but maybe I was screened from it by my host.

It's not like people shit around everywhere. Mostly happen around poorer areas near slums as they don't have any toilets in their huts.

Yeah but urinating and spitting the red beetle leaves on walls is a serious problem.

Edited by sunnyk

India, a place that worships Cows and treats women like animals, they are sending rockets to the moon children dont have clean water to drink , now they pay people to try to be Civilised. Even Rabbits crap in the same place, and to think this Nation will be the dominant race on the planet in 20 years.

Edited by Thongkorn

India, a place that worships Cows and treats women like animals, they are sending rockets to the moon children dont have clean water to drink , now they pay people to try to be Civilised. Even Rabbits crap in the same place, and to think this Nation will be the dominant race on the planet in 20 years.

Remember, they are supposed to surpass China as #1 in Asia. Plus, they are the world's biggest democracy.

Edited by Scott
spelling

• 4 weeks later...