What do you wear to immigration?

LarryBird

A confidential source close to the brother of a lady who lives across the street from someone who used to know an Immigration official told me that it's OK to wear the Singlet in Phuket. Chiang Mai requires shorts also be worn.

Edited by lostoday

What respect do cops that take bribes deserve?

None IMHO, which is why I turn up in sweaty football kit and flipflops after a hard game.

I work on the assumption, the worse I stink, the quicker they will want me out of there.

Do try to fit in dear.

Some on here consider that ones visa rights ( we are but merely guests... ) are determined by how we dress, how many photocopies you have and the level of grovelling ( physical and intellectual ) one can display...

I particularly like the old geezers who mind numbingly high wai the photocopy machine assistant and then diligently report back that the appointment they had the foresight to book, gave them a pleasant experience in what has to be the most uncomfortable ( outside the prisons ) environment in N.Thailand.

Smugly, i forgot that, but it can be fitted in somewhere...

"My pension is better than yours" or something like that.

Edited by philw

I normally wear shorts and a T-shirt (clean and neat,) but for a a once-a-year sit-down with an Immigration officer I wore long pants and a cotton short-sleeved buttoned sport shirt. I figured that if, by some small chance, the Immigration officer actually cared about appearance, it might speed up my interview. As it happened, I was at the desk for less than 10 minutes. I don't know if my clothing had anything to do with it, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

I normally wear shorts and a T-shirt (clean and neat,) but for a a once-a-year sit-down with an Immigration officer I wore long pants and a cotton short-sleeved buttoned sport shirt. I figured that if, by some small chance, the Immigration officer actually cared about appearance, it might speed up my interview. As it happened, I was at the desk for less than 10 minutes. I don't know if my clothing had anything to do with it, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

Well done !!!

Thank you for sharing.

Have a polar bear stamp ( common in UK primary schools in the sixties.)

Are we in some sort of primary school???

Edited by philw

lucky you're not at Phuket Airport, if with just shorts'n'thongs - you may find yourself in the Interview Room, while they go thru your bags for something more suitable

Chiang Mai, is one particular place though where I'd express more dignity than any other Thai Port of Call. That location is one where it feels you're visiting a cemetery (depending upon your Nationality of Course), where there's traffic coming and going to the Burma Railway sites.

Remember, even the ww2 prisoners wore some semblance of a collar and sleeves until they wore away...

Edited by tifino

I doubt they helped. I wear the same thing I would wear if I wasn't going there.

Next time you go wear the same thing and don't fill in one item see if it is over looked because you are dressed up to impress them.

Don't think for a minute they don't suspect that is the reason you are dressed up.smile.png

I think they approve of you more if you would shower before you go. biggrin.png

I doubt they helped. I wear the same thing I would wear if I wasn't going there.

Next time you go wear the same thing and don't fill in one item see if it is over looked because you are dressed up to impress them.

Don't think for a minute they don't suspect that is the reason you are dressed up.smile.png

I think they approve of you more if you would shower before you go. biggrin.png

Actually, I DID forget to fill in two of the spaces... the ones for passport number and date of issue. The Immigration officer asked me why I didn't fill it in and I replied that I forgot. I didn't have my passport at the table with me when I was filling out the form, planning to fill it in when I got to the Immigration Office, but I forgot about it. She just smiled and wrote in the numbers. You're correct... taking a shower beforehand worked miracles! cheesy.gif

Wow you can really tell the people who don't like Thailand because they have trouble with Thailand and now know exactly why they have trouble in the first place. cheesy.gif

Translation?

There is a Thai word, som na na. It means serves you right or you have brought your troubles on yourself.

When the policeman pulls you over for speeding and walks up to the car the best bet is to relax him and tell him a joke like ask for, "two burgers and a shake."

Immigration officers are among the most pompous people outside of the UK. Everyone of them goes to bed dreaming of the following musical number.

Edited by lostoday

I wear whatever I normally wear. The idea of considering how you dress to go to immigration seems a bit odd to me.

Ah... but you probably dress with a level of self respect... you probably have numerous Thai friends, enjoy living here and seem astonished at many of the difficulties some face (or bring upon themselves).

Scrubbers on the other hand would have to think carefully about whether their 'I don't care what anyone thinks of me' attitude works in their favour or not when rocking up at immigration or any other office environment without appropriate or considerate dress.

------

I personally find Jeans, Polo-shirt and shoes work... this is what I'd wear when going out for lunch, to a shopping centre or to my office on a Casual Friday.

There is no need to dress up - but the likelihood you will be treated respectfully diminishes when dressed in a singlet and sports shorts.

Wow you can really tell the people who don't like Thailand because they have trouble with Thailand and now know exactly why they have trouble in the first place. cheesy.gif

Translation?

There is a Thai word, som na na. It means serves you right or you have brought your troubles on yourself.

When the policeman pulls you over for speeding and walks up to the car the best bet is to relax him and tell him a joke like ask for, "two burgers and a shake."

Immigration officers are among the most pompous people outside of the UK. Everyone of them goes to bed dreaming of the following musical number.

So you think EVERYbody from the Uk are pompous, stuck-up, snobs??....everyone? You are a very sad man to think that way....i despair sometimes....next time, when a drunk Brit gets arrested, you will be saying we are ALL slobs, not snobs

Pomp and circumstance were invented in the UK. Even the changing of a shift of soldiers becomes a big deal. (changing of the guard). I think the petty Thai bureaucrats used the British Empire as a model. Where did Thailand get the idea for the hats and uniforms? Thai immigration folks wear uniforms. What's that about? They are trying to look like the major general from the vid clip above. The British Empire is steeped in tradition and fancy rituals and the Thais try to copy you. Look at the vid below that is what the immigration officers want to see us do. And where do you think they learned it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVxXRY77Co8

In a related thread I wrote of an American friends experience when he turned up for his annual renewal in shorts T shirt and thongs. He was dressed down (pun intended) by the immigration officer for his attire and told he would not be attended if he turns up next time in a similar outfit. He is not scruff and his clothes are always freshly laundered and ironed.

I don't find it a big problem turning up in long trousers, a shirt and collar and shoes for an interview. It is what I would wear in my home country if I was going to an appointment at a government office. I'd probably be wearing a tie too.

Edited by Saan

I wear whatever I normally wear when going out of the Village, Long trousers, collared T-shirt sometimes a shirt... No different than what I wore yesterday going to Tesco, or any other time or shop/Immigration.... done the same for past 11 year so not about to change, or go out to buy nice going out shorts.

I don't find it a big problem turning up in long trousers, a shirt and collar and shoes for an interview. It is what I would wear in my home country if I was going to an appointment at a government office. I'd probably be wearing a tie too.

Me too... Back home I would not consider going to a gov't office in beach wear.

Thai style polo shirt that I would normally wear as casual evening for dinner....no shorts but casual pants & a smile....This is a government office/function at which I am a guest asking to stay - imo the drunken beach bum look shows a lack of awareness/respect/courtesy.....

No need for a suit and tie but presentable is not too much to ask.....The clerks aren't dressed like bums - polos and pants is what they wear......why should we dress worse than that?

don't go dressed like a half-bird-colonel. An offsider (farang) from work, years ago in Hatyai, bought a complete uniform outfit. That was okay - but the idiot put it on and went out into the public.

Didn't appear again at work for near on two months - after he got locked up for a bit until it all got squashed. Don't know how much it cost him to get out.

Depends what service I'm going for. If I'm applying for 1 year retirement renewal, where you are actually interacting with a Immigration officer, then long pants and collared shirt, for 90 day and re-entry stamp then shorts and collared shirt, shoes (no sandals/flipflops).

Edited by Spaniel

Starting to remove all the troll posts, without further notice(s).

Isn't this a troll topic to begin with?...obviously yes.

Well .... there have been quite a number of very sensible replies. Unfortunately many more removed posts. I'll let it run for a while more.

A few years back it was distinctly a problem which colour shirt you wore . Wearing a red or yellow shirt, showing your possible allegiance to a political party, are thankfully behind us.

I have yet to hear of anyone being refused a visa extension or service based on their appearance,the socks and sandals brigade are a bit of a worry though.