Will lack of education be the downfall of Thailand?

khunpa

I know how idiotic Thais are donating to temples for merit making, yet most refuse to donate to charities that help good causes and what not.

Wow, how incredibly rude. Do you hold the same contempt for people who give money to Christian churches. Or Muslim. Or Mormon. Or Scientology. Or any number of other causes that you don't agree with? Who made you the judge and jury regarding what people should do with their own money?

Nope I don't hold the same for other religions, how many Thais do you see donating to charities, or the fact that temples do charity work. Compare that to Chistians, Muslims, and even other Buddhist or Taoist temples outside of Thailand. I judge based on what I observe, if you don't agree you are entitled to your opinion. I admit my words were a little strong, I apologize but the truth hurts.

Thais spend a disproportionate amount donating and making merit for their own selfish needs, to wash their sins, get rich, better after life what not. Yes its part of the culture and religion thats what merit making is about, but its gone too far. Few consider charity work or donation to charities as alternative merit making examples that is just as good.

Ask any Thai to go do charity work as a form of merit making I bet they will give you the puzzled look, and most will tell you "I go pray at the temple", "make offering at the temple", "donate money to the temple".

Edited by mike324

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are still giving Thais more credit than they deserve, car design is an international effort but sadly Thais are not included in any of that effort, they are just the muscle behind it not the brains. So I don't understand why you are still pushing this point.

We are probably are on the same page regarding to the failures in the government.

Agree with your point 5, that is why I keep on insisting education is a failure by everyones standards, not just mine.

You mentioned suicide rates, yet there are as many developed countries with less, and no reason why Thailand can't be like the other half.

I have Thai blood and I grew up in the country side, my understanding could not get any more clear.

I think your understanding of Thais is based on what you want, not what Thais want. Cheap food and booze and a laid back place to live, correct? :-)

Then tell us what's so special about thai peoples needs (wants) as i'm pretty sure most thai people want the same stuff as western people do: financial security (which includes anything related to work), able to travel freely inside and outside of their nation, democracy (not sure about that in Thailand) and so on.

My reply was to Lostodays comment, you are taking it out of context. I do know Thais wants are pretty much the same from westerners. My main point is everyone wants better education, yet Lostoday keeps on insisting Thais are happy with what they have and the education level is good enough for Thais, and that I should not be demanding better Education.

I completely agree. Thais are not happy with the education system, you must give them more credit than just assuming apathy and acceptance. Every culture wants improvements for their children it's just an absurd assumption to think otherwise.

It's the foreigner who has a choice but puts his children into such institutions that should be questioned not the Thais, many have no choice.

You are still giving Thais more credit than they deserve, car design is an international effort but sadly Thais are not included in any of that effort, they are just the muscle behind it not the brains. So I don't understand why you are still pushing this point.

We are probably are on the same page regarding to the failures in the government.

Agree with your point 5, that is why I keep on insisting education is a failure by everyones standards, not just mine.

You mentioned suicide rates, yet there are as many developed countries with less, and no reason why Thailand can't be like the other half.

I have Thai blood and I grew up in the country side, my understanding could not get any more clear.

I think your understanding of Thais is based on what you want, not what Thais want. Cheap food and booze and a laid back place to live, correct? :-)

Then tell us what's so special about thai peoples needs (wants) as i'm pretty sure most thai people want the same stuff as western people do: financial security (which includes anything related to work), able to travel freely inside and outside of their nation, democracy (not sure about that in Thailand) and so on.

My reply was to Lostodays comment, you are taking it out of context. I do know Thais wants are pretty much the same from westerners. My main point is everyone wants better education, yet Lostoday keeps on insisting Thais are happy with what they have and the education level is good enough for Thais, and that I should not be demanding better Education.

I completely agree. Thais are not happy with the education system, you must give them more credit than just assuming apathy and acceptance. Every culture wants improvements for their children it's just an absurd assumption to think otherwise.

It's the foreigner who has a choice but puts his children into such institutions that should be questioned not the Thais, many have no choice.

I agree wholeheartedly with your final paragraph.

Educating your child in Thailand will limit that child's potential opportunities.

Superior education abroad is one important aspect but equally, life abroad will also provide greater personal growth, maturity, articulation, cultural and language diversity.

Next point is harsh; perhaps a Foreign Father of mediocrity is happy to give just that to his child.

If I become a Father, I feel it's my duty to give my child the absolute best start in education and life.

The best is not here.

Educating your child in Thailand will limit that child's potential opportunities.

Superior education abroad is one important aspect but equally, life abroad will also provide greater personal growth, maturity, articulation, cultural and language diversity.

Next point is harsh; perhaps a Foreign Father of mediocrity is happy to give just that to his child.

If I become a Father, I feel it's my duty to give my child the absolute best start in education and life.

The best is not here.

Depends where you live in the foreign country.

In the UK Tower Hamlets comprehensive is unlikely to be better than a school in Thailand.

In the USA Detroit High School probably can't compete with Nakon Nowhere.

So are we talking foreign fathers with unlimited funds?

Because most of us have very limited budgets in the west.

And let's face it, most foreigners in Thailand are low class, their kids would be lucky to make it through the school system in any country.

Some of you write the most incredible white elitist Thai bashing nonsense.

Old white western guy + Thai hooker = brain surgeon children

I don't think so ............................ more likely = tuk tuk driver.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I know how idiotic Thais are donating to temples for merit making, yet most refuse to donate to charities that help good causes and what not.

Wow, how incredibly rude. Do you hold the same contempt for people who give money to Christian churches. Or Muslim. Or Mormon. Or Scientology. Or any number of other causes that you don't agree with? Who made you the judge and jury regarding what people should do with their own money?

Nope I don't hold the same for other religions, how many Thais do you see donating to charities, or the fact that temples do charity work. Compare that to Chistians, Muslims, and even other Buddhist or Taoist temples outside of Thailand. I judge based on what I observe, if you don't agree you are entitled to your opinion. I admit my words were a little strong, I apologize but the truth hurts.

Thais spend a disproportionate amount donating and making merit for their own selfish needs, to wash their sins, get rich, better after life what not. Yes its part of the culture and religion thats what merit making is about, but its gone too far. Few consider charity work or donation to charities as alternative merit making examples that is just as good.

Ask any Thai to go do charity work as a form of merit making I bet they will give you the puzzled look, and most will tell you "I go pray at the temple", "make offering at the temple", "donate money to the temple".

Man, you are seriously making some false statements. I have seen Thais--not the gov but regular Thais--band together and collect money for the typhoon in the Philippines, earthquake in Nepal, and many, many other catastrophic events. Why would you make such a patently false statement?

As for other religions, you are incredibly naive. You don't think that some Christians who give money to their church aren't "buying a place in heaven" for themselves? Or these radical Muslims who perform Jihad, do you think it's about their cause, or perhaps more to do with wanting to be a martyr and the whole 72 virgins business? Pretty much all religion convince people to do things that in the end, is about personal gain and self-gratification, in this or the next life. Open your eyes a bit.

I do......so what!

I do......so what!

Which question are you answering? If you hold contempt for ALL religions equally, then I applaud you for your objective point of view.

At my school the kids were all baking snacks to sell for the Nepal earthquake victims. You often see Thai people give to the beggars, so yeah, I disagree.

The best is not here.

Depends where you live in the foreign country.

In the UK Tower Hamlets comprehensive is unlikely to be better than a school in Thailand.

In the USA Detroit High School probably can't compete with Nakon Nowhere.

So are we talking foreign fathers with unlimited funds?

Because most of us have very limited budgets in the west.

And let's face it, most foreigners in Thailand are low class, their kids would be lucky to make it through the school system in any country.

Some of you write the most incredible white elitist Thai bashing nonsense.

Old white western guy + Thai hooker = brain surgeon children

I don't think so ............................ more likely = tuk tuk driver.

Nonsense ...the best opportunity must be given...don't prejudge the outcome..

Man, you are seriously making some false statements. I have seen Thais--not the gov but regular Thais--band together and collect money for the typhoon in the Philippines, earthquake in Nepal, and many, many other catastrophic events. Why would you make such a patently false statement?

As for other religions, you are incredibly naive. You don't think that some Christians who give money to their church aren't "buying a place in heaven" for themselves? Or these radical Muslims who perform Jihad, do you think it's about their cause, or perhaps more to do with wanting to be a martyr and the whole 72 virgins business? Pretty much all religion convince people to do things that in the end, is about personal gain and self-gratification, in this or the next life. Open your eyes a bit.

I did not say Thais "Never" donate, I said rarely, and big disasters aside, I'm trying to get to the point that Thais don't have a habit of doing it. In the west you see people holding charity drives all the time, not only during times of disaster.

My point with religion is that the average Thais who make merit are not like the radical Christians or Muslims. Does the average Christian give to the church on a regularly basis? No! But the average Thai does! Again my point is not arguing about people giving to religion, its about Thais giving disproportional amount to temples vs giving to charity when talking about merit making. 9/10 times when you ask a Thai when/where did they donate money, they will say to the temple.

Donating and helping at organizations and charities is just as good if not a better way of making merit, but Thais don't feel this way.

Edited by mike324

Turning Thailand into the West is the only thing that will ruin Thailand. They've done fine without the West for a few thousand years.

And, what would you call failure? What do you call smart? What is the standard for success? Look how many products are imported from Thailand. Back in the States, I didn't see many things with made in England on them, or Australia, or even "Made in USA."

And, as far as speaking English? Why? People want diversity so they can go to McDonalds' in Russia? English is a very clumsy language. (Not that many others are better.) Let's not put your own laziness for not learning a foreign language as a noose around anothers' neck.

Another comment..that's it suits me fine , why change it. Patronizing..

Change isn't necessary western..Thailand has changed massively over the last 25 years..partly because there are too many foreigners here..so you part of the change. They did well without you here..

If you don't think English is important you are mistaken, but then again I doubt you have ever worked here....

At my school the kids were all baking snacks to sell for the Nepal earthquake victims. You often see Thai people give to the beggars, so yeah, I disagree.

Charity work at school is pretty much world wide. I have helped out at local slums and orphanages around Thailand, most of the volunteers are expats, students from international schools, as well as local high school / university students (but less common). There are very few Thais. If you disagree, perhaps try going to the different charity groups and see for yourself. I have constantly see donation and help from different churches around Bangkok, even from overseas Buddhist Temple such as Tzu Chi and Fo Guang Shan who have a local chapter. Thai temple charity work are rare and few.

It does feel like more of the charity work is done by foreigners in Thailand and individual locals are less engaged. The only time you here about it are when companies run their charity program with advertisements and photo shoots splash across newspapers and magazines. Actually the other group of Thais that regularly do charity work are off road clubs that drive to remote destinations.

I think we are starting to be off topic about education in Thailand and I will leave it at that.

Change isn't necessary western..Thailand has changed massively over the last 25 years..partly because there are too many foreigners here..so you part of the change. They did well without you here..

If you don't think English is important you are mistaken, but then again I doubt you have ever worked here....

You infer that you work in Thailand, but, consider that there are too many foreigners here.

That loud whooshing noise you hear, is a shed-full of irony whizzing over your head........cheesy.gif

A friend of a group of Thai people I know died. The person was from another country and Christian (not rich just a working person). The Thai people are all chipping in to help send the deceased back to her country for burial. I don't know if you people know how much this stuff costs but it is very expensive.

Yes, ordinary Thai people are generous to charity, but, the super-rich don't start charitable foundations like they do in the west.

In Europe and the US, as soon as you are a multi-millionaire, it is considered a duty to give back. In Asia, the only charitable foundation is aimed at the family.

You infer that you work in Thailand, but, consider that there are too many foreigners here.

That loud whooshing noise you hear, is a shed-full of irony whizzing over your head........cheesy.gif

Stopped working in Thailand a decade ago, having worked here for years prior..but I like the reply..

Australia,with its fine education system have only invented th Rotary Clothes Line , so why bash Thais. My nation Portugal only sailed about stealing things like the Brits did,only difference they did invent superbly

Whoa up there with the Aussie bashing AoP....what about boomerangs and digeridoos?biggrin.png

Australian inventions? Just off the top of my head.

The drip-less tea-bag.

The cure for stomach ulcers.

The orbital engine.

The black-box flight recorder.

The heart pacemaker.

Plastic bank-notes.

The electric drill.

And there are many, many more.

Australia,with its fine education system have only invented th Rotary Clothes Line , so why bash Thais. My nation Portugal only sailed about stealing things like the Brits did,only difference they did invent superbly

Australia is responsible for inventing the bionic ear, wi-fi LAN, ultrasound for examining unborn babies, the black box flight recorder and a plastic bank note for medium of exchange.

We have an improving and evolving education system also as we understand and prioritise in sound assets for our future growth and competitiveness.

Australia is responsible for inventing the bionic ear, wi-fi LAN, ultrasound for examining unborn babies, the black box flight recorder and a plastic bank note for medium of exchange.

We have an improving and evolving education system also as we understand and prioritise in sound assets for our future growth and competitiveness.

Agreed. Exactly why our kids are at school there right now, instead of Thailand.thumbsup.gif. While I don't think Australia is perfect in any way, the education it offers my kids is leaps and bounds ahead of what is offered in our Thai home.

Seems to me the only growth Aus is getting is Immigrant Hoons with no respect for your hard work .as for Thais seeking an overseas Uni I tell em Aus not U.S.A. Where the Thais can buy a degree likeThaksins Mob did

Some immigrants can even travel in and out on 'shooting holidays' back home as well, without any real repercussions from the current laws. Nevermind, quite a few of the other immigrants I know work harder and do those types of jobs that Aussies won't lower themselves to nowadays.....getting off topic.

I know of a few Thai teens in Aus that have come with their mother and new dad. I acknowledge not all fit into this category, but I have observed many that aren't interested in study or work. Several (mainly the girls) have returned to Thailand for mum to send cash back instead of working and studying (as expected by the new dad). Life is much easier if mum pays rent, bills and expenses while they hang with their friends. The boys seem to study English with their 500 free hours (included in their visa) at TAFE, meet new Thai friends, qualify for centrelink benefits then hang out drinking, smoking weed and playing football. Their lack of understanding or don't care that education is relatively inexpensive if you qualify for one of the many government options. The inability to think for themselves seems to resign them to sucking from their mother or the welfare system.

Seems to me the only growth Aus is getting is Immigrant Hoons with no respect for your hard work .as for Thais seeking an overseas Uni I tell em Aus not U.S.A. Where the Thais can buy a degree likeThaksins Mob did

Proof of that please. Cause you are blowing smoke out your ...... I get so tired of these folks from god knows where acting like they know something about Thailand or the American school system.

Reaffirmation of Accreditation: Current Status

In December, 2009, The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) reaffirmed KSU’s accreditation. A key component of that reaffirmation was KSU meeting Core Requirement 2.12, the development of a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) to promote student learning. Entitled “Academics with Attitude: Building the Foundation for Student Success,” or “AWA” in short, KSU’s QEP provided a blueprint for a comprehensive program to prepare and support students with multiple developmental needs and thereby promote their success in college-level classes. Beginning with a pilot program in the summer of 2009, AWA has engaged hundreds of students with developmental needs in reading, writing, and mathematics.

http://kysu.edu/academics/accreditation/reaffirmation-of-accreditation-current-status/

But don't give up. Since you are so knowledgeable I got a bet for you. I'll bet you never got a degree from anywhere.

Out of the top ten universities in the world 6 are in the USA and 4 in the UK. Oh none are in Australia - what a surprise.cheesy.gif

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/world-university-rankings/top-universities-world-201415

Edited by lostoday