Will lack of education be the downfall of Thailand?

khunpa

Cars are not made by countries they are made by international industrial concerns that are based in many countries. China can be as proud of Jaguar as anyone. It is not a country thing anymore. Not even the American sailors racing for the America's cup are from America! So you can forget about the national identity it went the way of the wind in sailboat racing. (We can debate this forever but the America's cup is the oldest trophy in Yachting history and a source of pride to Americans for a hundred years and it's now bogus.)

Do you think Thai education just got bad and Vietnamese and Burmese education just got good? The Thais are smarter than the Vietnamese and the Burmese that's why they have the bucks and the Vietnamese are still living in poverty.

Do you think thousands of wealthy educated Thai people are rushing to retire in the UK?

Thailand is not the UK. All those folks who want it to be like the UK should go back to the UK. All those who like Thailand better should come to Thailand.

You want to change Thailand but if you really liked Thailand you would not want to change it.

In the 1930's Thai women didn't wear tops and they were just fine and cool. Some nut wanted to make Siam just like the West so he mandated that Thai women wear tops. Now are you happy?

Just leave the Siamese alone. If you want to change someone go colonize India or something.

Well perhaps your view on car production is different from mine. You are entitled to be proud that a BMW is made in Thailand and boast about it. But its different than people boasting about that BMW is a German brand quality.

Thai education got bad because the country stop moving forward. Thais may be more developed due to the government, but they are not necessary smarter. You can keep on thinking that Thais are superior to their neighbor, just like a typical snobby Thai attitude looking down on your neighbors.

I know Thailand is not the UK, and what makes you think that I am even a westerner to begin with.

"You want to change Thailand but if you really liked Thailand you would not want to change it"

Thank you for that statement, that is exactly the same mentality why Thailand is moving backwards, nobody wants and accepts change.

Why don't you ask you mom or grandma if they want walk around topless? Why are you still embracing western culture and technology? or heck, why are you even on TV?

Why can't you admit and accept that Thai education system is a failure and students are getting dumber? lose of face? hard to swallow the truth?

Thailand has one of the highest education budgets in the world, and the highest by a big margin comparing to all the other ministries in Thailand such as social, economic, etc. Yet all the money is lost through corruption with nothing being done to overhaul the system.

It is up to Thais to make the change and voice their opinion, sadly most Thais don't care or want to do much about it too! Its only the foreigners who wants Thais to get better because they see how much better this society can and could have been, how ironic!

You are talking about too much stuff to carry on a intelligent debate. A lot of the stuff you are saying I agree with like the corruption and misspent money.

Thailand is much like a spouse. Many people get married and then want to change their spouse. As in Los, "now that we are married you will have to stop drinking so much." What's up with that. I was a drunk when you married me.

Many people who came to Thailand from the West in the 1930's did not want their teenage daughters to go topless. I think they should have stayed home. Love me love my dog.

I came here not to change the place but to appreciate it as it is. Whatever the Thai people want is OK with me. If I don't like it I'll leave.

I would not have colonized Burma to improve them either; I think that is terrible. I would not have invaded Vietnam. I would not have colonized Laos or Cambodia.

I think Western influence in South East Asia has sucked big time.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But most of the comments on this thread are near worthless as the haters here are not knowledgeable enough to discuss education at any level and wouldn't have the first clue on how to fix it.

......and you do?

If you read the thread in it's entirety, you would know that several professional educators have already confirmed what most of us know through experience. That the Thai education system sucks due to incompetent teachers, students that don't want knowledge, just the bit of paper that they know they'll get in the end anyway.

I presume you also think that the education system here is not very good, but, rather than actually comment on the subject, you want to kinda kill the messengers.

You seem to be a typical Thai apologist.

Here's a newsflash for yer. The Thais don't need some foreigner apologizing for them, or, defending them.

Your post was just a "look at me, look at me" post to make yourself seem better than the rest of us.

Educated people made this country? Maybe, but, it was on the backs of the poor who are still controlled, excluded and disenfranchised by the very educated Thai people that you venerate.

I want to believe that most humans living on this planet want to get knowledge of whatever interests them but with a culture like Thailands where asking questions and inquiring about "whatever" is frowned on i do understand that students don't want knowledge as they associate knowledge with making... erhm... dumbass teachers look like dumbasses as they wouldn't be able to answer questions which would lead to that child "getting in trouble".

I want to believe that most humans living on this planet want to get knowledge of whatever interests them but with a culture like Thailands where asking questions and inquiring about "whatever" is frowned on i do understand that students don't want knowledge as they associate knowledge with making... erhm... dumbass teachers look like dumbasses as they wouldn't be able to answer questions which would lead to that child "getting in trouble".

Speaking of dumbasses. You don't know the kids and teachers can ask and get answers to any questions they want and are encouraged by a force far greater than teachers or parents - MEDIA. Log on and google. You can get any answer you want or ask any question you want.

Get real. If a kid wants an education it is there for free for the taking. This culture stuff only goes for people who don't know any Thai kids. They don't listen to parents and teachers any more than any kid does. gigglem.gif

And how many children do you have that go or have gone in Thai school?

Why should they speak a foreign language? Speak to the doctor in Thai, its Thailand

I have yet to meet a dentist or doctor who doesn't speak English. I would be very wary of a professional in one of these disciplines who'd not availed themselves of access to international medical research which is of course in the international language that is English. Would you? huh.png Or do you just pop off to the village mor chit?

Speaking of dumbasses. You don't know the kids and teachers can ask and get answers to any questions they want and are encouraged by a force far greater than teachers or parents - MEDIA. Log on and google. You can get any answer you want or ask any question you want.

Get real. If a kid wants an education it is there for free for the taking. This culture stuff only goes for people who don't know any Thai kids. They don't listen to parents and teachers any more than any kid does. gigglem.gif

Asking a question and the teacher not knowing the answer is a huge loss of face in Thailand.

I have stated before; ask me a question and I do not know the answer in Urdu, then my reply is let's find out.

Let's use all the tools at our disposal and get as many answers as we can. Then think about what we have discovered.

I've taught something like 27,000 how about you?coffee1.gif

Asking a question and the teacher not knowing the answer is a huge loss of face in Thailand.

I have stated before; ask me a question and I do not know the answer in Urdu, then my reply is let's find out.

Let's use all the tools at our disposal and get as many answers as we can. Then think about what we have discovered.

Don't your children have computers? Computer labs at school? Smart phones? What do you guys live in a cave? How many contests have you judged? Some kids always don't know the answer that is how other kids win! Spelling bees and scrabble contests, what you guys don't know about this? You can't be a teacher and know all the answers nor can you be a student and know all the answers. Teachers have asked me thousands of questions about school and about the West and about Thailand as I was here before most of them were born. It must be a parallel universe.

What you are all talking about is a myth encouraged by people who don't know any better. Imagine this.... a teaching student in college can be wrong one day and the next on graduation has to be right 100% of the time.

Did Thailand design the Ferrari?

Did Thailand design the Ducati?

Did Thailand design any of the crap being produced in the automotive or computer sector ?etc,,,,,,,,,

Simple answers NO!

If most of said factorys where to pack up and move to greener paistures i wonder what the Thai economy would look like?The only reason they are there is because of cheap labour.

Thailand has the bum gun, a far greater innovation than an unaffordable race car for the streets of Western countries with speed limits of 120 kph.

I teach with Google. I divide them into groups and we study other countries. I have questions the students google and I walk them through it.

Thai students love to learn other countries and each group presents their country to the class. I agree with you and I try to bring it into class.

For over 30 years we have had small Thai communitys in my country spread accros the country,most are Thai woman married to fellow country men,some of them have grown up children or children they have brought to Thailand as infants from former marriages with Thai men.

After so many years of getting a western education i still have not seen one of them rise up to be a local politician or get management level jobs but more of the burger flipping kind. etc...and i live in a very pollitcal correct country where equal treatment of foreigners is adament.

But instead i see a lot of people of the muslim faith rising up in society but Thais.........

Just speaking to a sixteen year old boy.

Have known him since he was knee high to a grasshopper.

Had to speak in Thai, he could not speak basic English.

I asked him how long had he been taught English at school.

Seven years plus he replied, in Thai.

How much English can you speak I asked.

We resorted to sign language, zero!

I realize that you have a very low opinion of Thai English teachers. My experience has been hugely different. My co-workers speak at a high level,

they are not afraid to ask advice or about a nuance of the language, and are ok about being corrected.

I'm lucky I guess, they enjoy working along side of the foreigners.

I'm Canadian and we study French once a week for an hour for seven years. I lived 5,000 km from Montreal, how much French did I learn? Bugger all.

I was a cheeky kid who couldn't see the point of it.

I realize that you have a very low opinion of Thai English teachers. My experience has been hugely different. My co-workers speak at a high level,

they are not afraid to ask advice or about a nuance of the language, and are ok about being corrected.

I'm Canadian and we study French once a week for an hour for seven years. I lived 5,000 km from Montreal, how much French did I learn? Bugger all.

It was true though.

My aim was to help Thai teachers' of English.

I travelled to conferences in many parts of Thailand.

At one school I stayed at, I admit the trust between the staff and myself was very good.

I moved on as I needed to.

Another story!

It was true though.

My aim was to help Thai teachers' of English.

I travelled to conferences in many parts of Thailand.

At one school I stayed at, I admit the trust between the staff and myself was very good.

I moved on as I needed to.

Another story!

My circumstances changed and I needed to earn more money, could not work for a pittance.

As stated, retired now, but because of the money I earnt after my philanthropy, can survive , just about, now.

My wife's niece went to the state school in Chonburi. She is now studying clinical medicine on an international English speaking course at a university in China and she was awarded a scholarship on her first year results. She did fairly well at school but was not at the top of the class. It is not all bad.

While in the mean time 100 000 doctors working in Thailand can not speak a word of English and prescribe antibiotic for muscle pain. wink.png
Why should they speak a foreign language? Speak to the doctor in Thai, its Thailand

The issue is not the communication between Thai doctors and Thai patients : the issue is I don't believe a doctor can remain competent if he cannot inform himself of the the latest scientific developments on the internet which is 90% or more in English. The same applies to professionals active in other sectors requiring scientific knowledge.

Most doctors I have come across have some to good English speaking ability even though they see few English speaking patients. They can however read and write English.

An example of the English teaching at a Thai school. The Mrs has 2 sisters one with a boy one with a girl both the same age and in the same class at the same school, they are both bright kids. The boy stayed with us for a considerable time and speaks good English but cant read or write well, the girl however has not progressed past good morning and a few other basic phrases but she can read and write English although she doesnt really know what she is reading or writing.

The school teaches reading and writing but the teacher is not competent to teach conversation.

The girl for her reading and writing ability (copying from books) gets top marks for English while the boy is way down.

I have also met farmers who speak good English and bank tellers who can not. The bank I use has one girl with good English the manager has some very basic the rest have none.

For over 30 years we have had small Thai communitys in my country spread accros the country,most are Thai woman married to fellow country men,some of them have grown up children or children they have brought to Thailand as infants from former marriages with Thai men.

After so many years of getting a western education i still have not seen one of them rise up to be a local politician or get management level jobs but more of the burger flipping kind. etc...and i live in a very pollitcal correct country where equal treatment of foreigners is adament.

But instead i see a lot of people of the muslim faith rising up in society but Thais.........

• Tammy Duckworth – Assistant Secretary for Public and Intergovernmental Affairs in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. An Iraq War veteran, Duckworth served as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot and suffered severe combat wounds, losing both of her legs and damaging her right arm. She was the first female double amputee from the war
  • Gorpat Henry Charoen became the first U.S. official of Thai origin, when he was elected to the La Palma City Council in California. On December 18, 2007, he became the first Thai American mayor of a U.S. city.
  • Alex Sink, formal Chief Financial Officer for the state of Florida
  • Charles Kong Djou (born August 9, 1970) is an American politician who served as U.S. Representative for Hawaii's 1st congressional district

Perhaps the fault is with your country and not Thai people. They seem to do well in America.

I think one guy has achieved some success playing golf.biggrin.png His name is Tiger something or other.thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostoday

• Tammy Duckworth – Assistant Secretary for Public and Intergovernmental Affairs in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. An Iraq War veteran, Duckworth served as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot and suffered severe combat wounds, losing both of her legs and damaging her right arm. She was the first female double amputee from the war
  • Gorpat Henry Charoen became the first U.S. official of Thai origin, when he was elected to the La Palma City Council in California. On December 18, 2007, he became the first Thai American mayor of a U.S. city.
  • Charles Kong Djou (born August 9, 1970) is an American politician who served as U.S. Representative for Hawaii's 1st congressional district

Perhaps the fault is with your country and not Thai people. They seem to do well in America.

I think one guy has achieved some success playing golf.biggrin.png His name is Tiger something or other.thumbsup.gif

And how they truly changed the course of evolution on planet earth,most of them are half Thai so no news there scherlock......

And how they truly changed the course of evolution on planet earth,most of them are half Thai so no news there scherlock......

The concept of Bigotry can have slightly different meanings in American and British English.

In British English it refers to a state of mind where a person is obstinately, irrationally, or unfairly intolerant of ideas, opinions, or beliefs that differ from their own, and intolerant of the people who hold them.

In American English, the term can be used similarly; however, it can also be used to refer to intolerance towards a group of people in general based on their group characteristics such as race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status.

Perhaps we just have a difference of definition of the same word. I would ask you the same question as you have posted, "And how they (you) truly changed the course of evolution on planet earth,most of them are half Thai so no news there scherlock....."

I don't think most of us change the course of evolution of the planet.

Do you tell your children how inadequate their Thai ancestry is? I have children of mixed ancestry and I try to point out to them the positive aspects of their respective cultures.

There are people from every culture that are worthy of praise and many people from every culture that are not.

You wrote, "But instead i see a lot of people of the muslim faith rising up in society but Thais........."

Do you think Thai is a faith? I mentioned a number of people of Thai nationality who have done well in the USA and you countered with the fact they might not be 100% Thai. Who is 100% anything?

My wife and her family were all born in Thailand. I was born in another country and came to Thailand for the first time when I was 21 years of age. Her family are good honest people and have been kind to me. That is all I care about.

I try and emphasize the positive aspects of both Thai and American culture but that is not always easy. It is not easy here on Thai Visa.

The obvious question to ask is about you, since you've been the beneficiary of western education, western laws, western advancement, western wealth, etc., what have YOU done to "change the course of evolution on planet earth?" My guess is zilch. So basically, you're no better than the Thais, even having many more advantages of just being white in a white society.

The obvious question to ask is about you, since you've been the beneficiary of western education, western laws, western advancement, western wealth, etc., what have YOU done to "change the course of evolution on planet earth?" My guess is zilch. So basically, you're no better than the Thais, even having many more advantages of just being white in a white society.

Same as most on Thai Visa ,spend my hard earnt western cash on cheap booze and woman in the land of smiles while on holiday and pretending to be something or somebody i am not on an online forum......

And Thai children deserve better than the third rate <deleted> washing up on Thailands shores with a large chip on their schoulder pretending to be educators or english teachers.

I think we on Thai visa are helping evolution, they know who we are and where we are and can safely look back and say - its damn good none of them made it into the gene pool. don't worry we need the variation in it actually, so perhaps we will all be involved in the course of evolution

ultimatly the argument is not worth 2 sods since the aztecs or egyptions or any ancient or ancientish - im no historian - civilizations tend to leave crumbling ruins in their wake, similalry the romans who are very good at inventing baths and ruins but none of them are still up and running so I bet the designers would be unhappy to know they was forgotten.- ok the ruins are up and running and you can visit them wherever you want

Of course those involved in teh first atom bombs and subsequent testing etc of nuclear bombs may have made their mark in the course of evolutin since the radiation levles globally have been changed in a permanent way and as I remember from my reading the satelites were built from metals taken from a scuttled fleet off the coast of England since it was the only source of metal that was not contaminated.

My point being evolution will carry on fine, we -humanity- are doomed by our stupidity, but the planet earth will most likely fair ok, as will a sifnificant amount of animals life forms that seem to persist despite humanities attempt to cause anything else to happen. This is what the nazis failed to realise in their forced birth control and various genocides,racicides? and other killing of peoples non germanic . it would make no difference other than reducing genetic diversity and probably aiding elimination of a parasitic lifeform from the earth. even jesus did not make a difference to evolution, or arguably aided in removing some less intelligent lifeforms from the gene pool and helping in nourishment of tigers and lions.

That sixteen year old Kid, Neng, was at first terrified I was speaking to him.

It all started as a joke, as he whaed my Thai friend, but not farang me.

I spoke to him in Thai, that I was joking and not the least bit offended.

His dog was sitting next to me.

I told him his dog understood me, trusted me, so come let's talk.

He learnt more of the English language usage in thirty minutes in a fun conversation with me than he had ever learnt at school.

I also told him I will continue to teach him, no fee, just sit and talk about our neighbourhood, things we both are familiar with.

The smile was magic!

He learnt more of the English language usage in thirty minutes in a fun conversation with me than he had ever learnt at school.

I also told him I will continue to teach him, no fee, just sit and talk about our neighbourhood, things we both are familiar with.

The smile was magic!

Writing a Thai version of slumdog millonair perhaps?

The smile was magic!

Writing a Thai version of slumdog millonair perhaps?

Flamers are out!

No I am not.

Just helping my neighbours.

Who do you all think you are? You move to a country and expect them to change everything because you said so?? The arrogance of Westerners(in general) is baffling! The Thai educational system is preparing Thai children to survive in Thai society. The majority of Thai kids will be unaffected by Thailand's entry into ASEAN. There will never be any freedom of movement between these countries other than for tourism.The movement of labour will be highly restricted, as it should be. Thailand has almost full employment and little or no welfare state. The education system here is not trying to prepare students to be statesmen or women.Its giving them the tools to be successful...in Thailand! And it des exactly what it sayd on the tin...

Westerners need to realise that this is not Europe of the US. Things are different here.That doesn't mean that things are bad. Look at how happy Thai people are. Compare that to people from Nanny states in Europe who are miserable and do nothing but complain and pay their taxes and bills. Look at the respect that Thai people have for elders.Look at how they take care of their families.. Look at the positives instead of attempting to impose Western ideas and values upon the world. The most evil race of people to ever walk the Earth were White people! Realise this and open your narrow minded perceptions of Asian civilisation.

Okay, so let me understand this... You think it is good for Thailand and Thai-people that their education system way is behind most other countries? Do you think it is good that a large part of the population can not read and write? Is it good parenting to just accept a bad educational system, that gives your child no real options in life?

Yes, Thailand has a nearly full employment rate. And what does most of the jobs really consist of? Sitting on a chair sleeping or playing Candy Crush all day. Do you really think education is something unimportant in todays world? You sound like you believe education is something only White-persons value... Are you serious?

And by the way... Not all Thai people are happy. I know many Thai-people who are sad and frustrated, that they are forced to work shitty jobs for the rest of their life, because they never had access to a good educational system. Just because they smile when you pay them, does not mean they are happy.

You wrote, "Yes, Thailand has a nearly full employment rate. And what does most of the jobs really consist of? Sitting on a chair sleeping or playing Candy Crush all day."

Based on that statement I have arrived at two conclusions. 1. You don't know much about Thailand and 2. Your purpose in this thread was to denigrate Thailand and really has nothing to do with education.

​I think I can show indubitably that you know almost nothing about the Thai economy. 1. 40% of the hard drives in the world are made in Thailand. thumbsup.gif 2. As of 2012, the Thailand automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia and the 9th largest in the World. The Thailand industry has an annual output of near 1.5 million vehicles (mostly commercial vehicles), more than countries such as Belgium, the United Kingdom, Italy, Czech Republic, and Turkey. whistling.gif

Those millions of cars and hard drives can not be made while sleeping or playing candy crush. giggle.gif

Lets take a look at a country close by, Malaysia. Tourists' naked photo shoot atop Malaysian peak blamed for major earthquake as locals claim nudity angered 'mountain spirits. Now that is dead dumb. cheesy.gif

Try googling the ten most worthless currencies in the world and what countries come up? Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia and Vietnam.gigglem.gif 19,327 Dong to the Dollar.

I can tell you without a doubt that the Thai education system is better than Detroit or DC (I was in a D mood).

I think there should be a rule that before you are allowed to comment on the Thai education system that you should know something about it; like teaching in a Thai college for a few years.

And before you comment on Thailand's economy that you should realize that there are about 100 countries in the world that have a GDP per capita less than Thailand. That means that more than half the countries in the world play candy crush and sleep on the job more than Thailand,wai2.gif

Just to make some things clear... I am NOT trying to say something bad about Thailand or Thai-people. If I hated Thailand, I would not live here and I would properly never had married a Thai-woman and have had a child with her. Furthermore, I would for sure never had been coming to Thailand for more than 20 years, if I hated the place or the people.

The fact is, that the Thai-educational system is very bad and since education a very important part of a countries development, then that is not good for Thailand. So the reason why I am worried about the educational system here, is actually because I worry and feel sorry for Thailand, because it will effect many people here. In other words I worry, because I like Thailand.

Why is it that so many Farangs here in Thailand start thinking like Thais after a while living here? All of a sudden it is not allowed to face the simple facts or criticises anything that is related to Thailand or Thai-people. If some Farang says something "wrong" or "bad", then the typical response is "Then why don't you just leave, if you do not like it here?"... I will never understand why some people can not see, that the only way for something to improve, like e.g. the educational system here, is to FACE THE FACTS and not just try to find excuses. Because that is exactly the Thai way of reacting and it just does not solve problems or provide progress for neither the country or the people.

Yes, there are worse countries than Thailand in the world, but if Thailand does not face reality then at some point in the future, there will not be many countries worse than Thailand. And that is exactly my point. Thailand is moving backwards while other surrounding countries are moving forward. Hiding from the facts (Thai-Style), does not solve the problems or make them go away.

If you really cared and knew something about Thailand, then you would worry too. Especially, if you had children here.

Oh... and by the way... I actually have a teachers degree, have been guest teacher at many universities here and my wife also has a teenage son in the Thai-school system. I think I know just a bit about the educational system here or at least the level of it.

Edited by khunpa

" As of 2012, the Thailand automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia and the 9th largest in the World. The Thailand industry has an annual output of near 1.5 million vehicles (mostly commercial vehicles), more than countries such as Belgium, the United Kingdom, Italy, Czech Republic, and Turkey"

There is no Thai automotive industry.

There are no Thai cars.. ( except maybe tuk tuks?)

Automotive industries from developed countries are taking advantage of Thailand's cheap uneducated labor to assemble their products for a fraction of the cost of assempl in their home countries.

Most motorcycles are produced here for the same reason..

.exploiting the cheap uneducated labor available here in Thailand.

I read recently that many Thais believe that FORD is a Thai car company! ( they are assembled here, right?)

Edited by willyumiii

" As of 2012, the Thailand automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia and the 9th largest in the World. The Thailand industry has an annual output of near 1.5 million vehicles (mostly commercial vehicles), more than countries such as Belgium, the United Kingdom, Italy, Czech Republic, and Turkey"

Automotive industries from developed countries are taking advantage of Thailand's cheap uneducated labor to assemble their products for a fraction of the cost of assempl in their home countries.

I read recently that many Thais believe that FORD is a Thai car company! ( they are assembled here, right?)

Does Singapore have an auto industry? Hong Kong? How about most Euro countries, do they all have internationally recognized autos? Is there an Aussie brand auto? You're nit-picking. Would you rather Thailand not manufacture cars at all?

It's not just about cheap labor, otherwise manufacturers would be building cars in Somalia. Thailand has the infrastructure and workforce to support major manufacturing. But I'm sure anything positive about Thailand offends you.

Who do you all think you are? You move to a country and expect them to change everything because you said so?? The arrogance of Westerners(in general) is baffling! The Thai educational system is preparing Thai children to survive in Thai society. The majority of Thai kids will be unaffected by Thailand's entry into ASEAN. There will never be any freedom of movement between these countries other than for tourism.The movement of labour will be highly restricted, as it should be. Thailand has almost full employment and little or no welfare state. The education system here is not trying to prepare students to be statesmen or women.Its giving them the tools to be successful...in Thailand! And it des exactly what it sayd on the tin...

Westerners need to realise that this is not Europe of the US. Things are different here.That doesn't mean that things are bad. Look at how happy Thai people are. Compare that to people from Nanny states in Europe who are miserable and do nothing but complain and pay their taxes and bills. Look at the respect that Thai people have for elders.Look at how they take care of their families.. Look at the positives instead of attempting to impose Western ideas and values upon the world. The most evil race of people to ever walk the Earth were White people! Realise this and open your narrow minded perceptions of Asian civilisation.

Okay, so let me understand this... You think it is good for Thailand and Thai-people that their education system way is behind most other countries? Do you think it is good that a large part of the population can not read and write? Is it good parenting to just accept a bad educational system, that gives your child no real options in life?

Yes, Thailand has a nearly full employment rate. And what does most of the jobs really consist of? Sitting on a chair sleeping or playing Candy Crush all day. Do you really think education is something unimportant in todays world? You sound like you believe education is something only White-persons value... Are you serious?

And by the way... Not all Thai people are happy. I know many Thai-people who are sad and frustrated, that they are forced to work shitty jobs for the rest of their life, because they never had access to a good educational system. Just because they smile when you pay them, does not mean they are happy.

You wrote, "Yes, Thailand has a nearly full employment rate. And what does most of the jobs really consist of? Sitting on a chair sleeping or playing Candy Crush all day."

Based on that statement I have arrived at two conclusions. 1. You don't know much about Thailand and 2. Your purpose in this thread was to denigrate Thailand and really has nothing to do with education.

​I think I can show indubitably that you know almost nothing about the Thai economy. 1. 40% of the hard drives in the world are made in Thailand. thumbsup.gif 2. As of 2012, the Thailand automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia and the 9th largest in the World. The Thailand industry has an annual output of near 1.5 million vehicles (mostly commercial vehicles), more than countries such as Belgium, the United Kingdom, Italy, Czech Republic, and Turkey. whistling.gif

Those millions of cars and hard drives can not be made while sleeping or playing candy crush. giggle.gif

Lets take a look at a country close by, Malaysia. Tourists' naked photo shoot atop Malaysian peak blamed for major earthquake as locals claim nudity angered 'mountain spirits. Now that is dead dumb. cheesy.gif

Try googling the ten most worthless currencies in the world and what countries come up? Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia and Vietnam.gigglem.gif 19,327 Dong to the Dollar.

I can tell you without a doubt that the Thai education system is better than Detroit or DC (I was in a D mood).

I think there should be a rule that before you are allowed to comment on the Thai education system that you should know something about it; like teaching in a Thai college for a few years.

And before you comment on Thailand's economy that you should realize that there are about 100 countries in the world that have a GDP per capita less than Thailand. That means that more than half the countries in the world play candy crush and sleep on the job more than Thailand,wai2.gif

Just to make some things clear... I am NOT trying to say something bad about Thailand or Thai-people. If I hated Thailand, I would not live here and I would properly never had married a Thai-woman and have had a child with her. Furthermore, I would for sure never had been coming to Thailand for more than 20 years, if I hated the place or the people.

The fact is, that the Thai-educational system is very bad and since education a very important part of a countries development, then that is not good for Thailand. So the reason why I am worried about the educational system here, is actually because I worry and feel sorry for Thailand, because it will effect many people here. In other words I worry, because I like Thailand.

Why is it that so many Farangs here in Thailand start thinking like Thais after a while living here? All of a sudden it is not allowed to face the simple facts or criticises anything that is related to Thailand or Thai-people. If some Farang says something "wrong" or "bad", then the typical response is "Then why don't you just leave, if you do not like it here?"... I will never understand why some people can not see, that the only way for something to improve, like e.g. the educational system here, is to FACE THE FACTS and not just try to find excuses. Because that is exactly the Thai way of reacting and it just does not solve problems or provide progress for neither the country or the people.

Yes, there are worse countries than Thailand in the world, but if Thailand does not face reality then at some point in the future, there will not be many countries worse than Thailand. And that is exactly my point. Thailand is moving backwards while other surrounding countries are moving forward. Hiding from the facts (Thai-Style), does not solve the problems or make them go away.

If you really cared and knew something about Thailand, then you would worry too. Especially, if you had children here.

Oh... and by the way... I actually have a teachers degree, have been guest teacher at many universities here and my wife also has a teenage son in the Thai-school system. I think I know just a bit about the educational system here or at least the level of it.

"because it will effect many people here. In other words I worry, because I like Thailand."

Grammar correction; [affect] as opposed to "effect".

An effect is to have an affect on...

Therefore, "it will affect many people here..."

Does Singapore have an auto industry? Hong Kong? How about most Euro countries, do they all have internationally recognized autos? Is there an Aussie brand auto? You're nit-picking. Would you rather Thailand not manufacture cars at all?

It's not just about cheap labor, otherwise manufacturers would be building cars in Somalia. Thailand has the infrastructure and workforce to support major manufacturing. But I'm sure anything positive about Thailand offends you.

Yes, there is Holden, an Aussie brand auto.....General Motors Holden (GMH).