Will lack of education be the downfall of Thailand?

khunpa

I have recently read several articles about the poor educational system in Thailand, when compared to the other surrounding countries. But I have also during the past years of living and doing business here, seen some horrible examples of the bad educational system.

Here are just some examples I have experienced:

- Certified Accountants having no or very little understanding of basic accounting rules and accounting laws.

- Certified Lawyers not even knowing the law. Or 3-4 lawyers all giving different answers to the same simple question.

- Employees with University Degrees - in e.g. English or Business having extremely poor english skills and not even being able to put together e.g. a simple cost budget.

I mean, how can you be an accountant without knowing the VAT-law? How can you hold an university degree in English and not even be able to keep a simple conversation in English? How can you be a lawyer and basically not know the law? How is it possible?

I have lived in many countries (developed and undeveloped), but I have never seen anything similar to Thailand. I have also never seen so many people calling themselves professionals (with degrees), but being absolutely lost when it comes to their education field and trade. It is simply at times chocking.

I understand that it is due to corruption and student buying their degrees (it must be). I can somehow understand that. What I however can not understand is the ignorant belief that a piece of paper makes you automatically smart and the total lack of personal pride in actually studying, learning and becoming smart, instead of just buying your way to a degree.

After seeing so many examples of poor education here I can not help to wonder if this, will end up being the real downfall for Thailand? I mean, if you look at it Thailands real problem is not beach chairs, taxidrivers or non-quality tourists. The real problem, is a total and complete lack of proper education and a "do things easy" mentality. Also combined with the constant "Lose Face" fear, it is just a constant and evil spiral, that will never improve the educational system here. Recently a Minister said the following about the poor educational system:

Finance Minister Sommai Phasee, presiding at the unveiling of the World Bank report, admitted he has been reluctant to raise the problem in Cabinet because he didn't want to offend the ministers who oversee education. "I dare not speak up because there are three ministers responsible [for education and skills], and all are soldiers," he said. "We are still not walking the right path and we are still walking slowly."

An article recently claimed that attending school, was actually harming the IQ of Thai-children.

I really like Thailand and I also like Thai-people. But when will they wake up and see that education will be their downfall and it will take many years to regain all that has already been lost?

Edited by khunpa

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you propose they wake up? and who will teach ?

Who will be teaching the teachers?

Really, I have no idea. Which is worrying...

A way could be to open up the country and invite skilled teachers in. But it seems Thailand is acting opposite and ignoring the problem. And ignoring real problems, seems to be a cultural disability here.

I think there are two ways for Thailand. Either they will more or less try to isolate themselves (which will not work) or they will open up the country, making it easier for foreigners to be here and make business here. But one thing is for sure. Since Thailand is close to bottom in nearly all surveys, when it comes to education, they will end up becoming the losers in this part of the world.

Edited by khunpa

My wife's niece went to the state school in Chonburi. She is now studying clinical medicine on an international English speaking course at a university in China and she was awarded a scholarship on her first year results. She did fairly well at school but was not at the top of the class. It is not all bad.

A way could be to open up the country and invite skilled teachers in.

But it seems Thailand is acting opposite and ignoring the problem. And ignoring real problems, seems to be a cultural disability here.

That would never happen , because of Thai pride

My wife's niece went to the state school in Chonburi. She is now studying clinical medicine on an international English speaking course at a university in China and she was awarded a scholarship on her first year results. She did fairly well at school but was not at the top of the class. It is not all bad.

While in the mean time 100 000 doctors working in Thailand can not speak a word of English and prescribe antibiotic for muscle pain. ;)

An ignorant and ill informed RANT !

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/World-Bank-zeroes-in-on-Thai-education-30261651.html

<removed>

Do some reading my friend.

All surveys say the same. Thailand is in big problems, when it comes to education.

You can choose to believe this will not harm Thailand, but the fact is that it will.

Edited by CharlieH

My wife's niece has a University Degree in English and knows less english, than a normal bargirl. The worst and sad thing is, that it is not even something I am making up.

I am not saying it is all like this and I know there are also differences and people are different. But the fact is that Thailand has overall a horrible poor educational system, which I believe will be this countries biggest future problem.

Edited by khunpa

While in the mean time 100 000 doctors working in Thailand can not speak a word of English and prescribe antibiotic for muscle pain. wink.png

Why should a doctor have to speak English when the patients are Thai?

Are you implying that doctors have not been trained properly if they do not speak English.

My comment was regarding the education provided by the state school in Chonburi and not the medical profession but as usual there is always someone that wants to go off at a tangent.

My wife's niece has a University Degree in English and knows less english, than a normal bargirl.

The worst and sad thing is, that it is not even something I am making up.

I am not saying it is all like this. But the fact is that Thailand has a horrible poor educational system.

And that tells us what exactly?

Like someone else you have just missed the point. As the product of a Thai state school my wife's niece is holding her own alongside students from all over the world. If her education has been bad then it does not say a lot for all the other nationalities, and there is quite a few western students.

A way could be to open up the country and invite skilled teachers in.

But it seems Thailand is acting opposite and ignoring the problem. And ignoring real problems, seems to be a cultural disability here.

That would never happen , because of Thai pride
Pride in what?

While in the mean time 100 000 doctors working in Thailand can not speak a word of English and prescribe antibiotic for muscle pain. ;)
Why should they speak a foreign language? Speak to the doctor in Thai, its Thailand

My wife's niece has a University Degree in English and knows less english, than a normal bargirl.

I am not saying it is all like this. But the fact is that Thailand has a horrible poor educational system.

Like someone else you have just missed the point. As the product of a Thai state school my wife's niece is holding her own alongside students from all over the world. If her education has been bad then it does not say a lot for all the other nationalities, and there is quite a few western students.

This is not about your wife's niece, but 67 mill. people and their basic educational system. An educational system, that recent studies have shown is in big problems.

I also know some very smart Thai-people, but that is not the point. But, I am sure they will agree on the real point and issue, which is, that education is a pretty important part of a countries development and future.

My point is, that I believe Thailands educational system, will be its biggest problem going ahead. Or maybe Thailand will end up being the ideal country for other ASEAN countries to exploit, by using low-skilled and low-cost labour. Because the fact is, that Thailand on an educational level is amongst the lowest in the region and nobody really seem to do anything about it.

Thailands real problem is not a real estate bubble, household debts, dirty beaches or a slow economy. It is poor education, corruption and a cultural habit of avoiding facing responsibility and problems, when they are right in front of you.

Edited by khunpa

Lack of sound education, corruption in the education system, an often "no fail" policy, "face", and vast numbers of incompetent teachers are not helping the people, country and their economic future.

I don't have a child, but if I do, there is absolutely no chance education will be done here.

I can afford a top tier school throughout however too many Thais are insular and uneducated that I feel it would be detrimental to my own child....should I have one.

Education will be done in my home country.

I agree with the OP entirely.

Edited by Blackfox

I respect Thai people and their culture immensely but they've got to start getting with the program.

Even those well educated know little of current and past world affairs.

Gen X and Y are tech savvy but are too insular to consider anything of value and substance outside of Siam.

FB, Line and games is about as far as it goes for most unfortunately.

Edited by Blackfox

While in the mean time 100 000 doctors working in Thailand can not speak a word of English and prescribe antibiotic for muscle pain. wink.png
Why should they speak a foreign language? Speak to the doctor in Thai, its Thailand

This the basic mistake that Thailand in general makes. The answer is that most knowledge and most medicines are from the West in English. How is a doctor to know what to prescribe if it's named in English and its use is described in English? How is the doctor to get on the internet and improve knowledge?

How is a doctor to stay abreast of the newest medicines and techniques when the professional writings are in English? The internet is the greatest research tool the world has ever known and it's mostly in English.

Mean while there are 100 000,Foreign Doctors working in England who cannot speak English,

Are you implying that doctors have not been trained properly if they do not speak English.

My comment was regarding the education provided by the state school in Chonburi and not the medical profession but as usual there is always someone that wants to go off at a tangent.

May be because English is part of curriculum or because most of medical terms are in Latin .

May be because if they could not learn something as basic as English it is highly unlikely they learned anything at all.

May be because antibiotics are not suitable for muscle pain

But I am just guessing, no doubt you know more because your niece studied in public school and is now in China and do happens she is studying medicine .

Let's hope she learns the difference between antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication

Edited by konying

Mean while there are 100 000,Foreign Doctors working in England who cannot speak English,

Oh really? Care to provide evidence to back up your idiotic statement ?

whistling.gif As I have stated before with other topics on this forum there is a difference between education..... which is the exposure to information ..... and intelligence, which is the ability to make constructive and rational use of that same information.

Thailand's major problem is that although they expose students to knowledge in the schools they do not make any attempt to teach students the skills needed to effectively use that information ... in other words develop their student's intelligence.

I will repeat that statement here in this topic.

Some kids will ALWAYS be clever despite the education system, the best people are often SELF taught.

I have found the dentists here to be pretty good. Is that an exception?

Blimey how many have you been too??

I tried 3, first one said my mouth was disgusting and needed a lot of work, second one wanted to charge me 500 baht just to have a look, 3rd one said he could fit me in no charge for looking and was gentle and reasonably priced, No. 3 got the job and has been doing my work ever since

SMILE PLUS, SEACON SQUARE ,BANGKOK

As I have said before. The Government education system here is designed to produce obedient workers who do not ask questions of authority or those above them. The elite of this country have designed it that way and I tend to keep it that way. Families that can afford it weather they be elite or not send their kids overseas for their education after a certain age. When we lived in Australia I met many Thais studying there and most were working (legally) to help pay their way, so obviously not from rich families. I can only hope that these overseas educated ones will finally have enough influence here to see the problems and start to make changes.

It can be changed. Look at Vietnam, It was as bad as Thailand in terms of total rote learning etc, etc. Vietnam has made massive changes to everything about education, all for the better, much of it modeled on Singapore.

Lots of pain of course but it can be done. Vietnam planned the steps in change and did it.

In fact I suggest we must very deliberately NOT ever say 'it can't be changed'.

Doctors have to speak English because all literature updating them about the latest developments in medicine is in English first.

For just about any profession the main developments are published in English, staying locked up in the Thai language domain leads to all professionals from whatever profession being ages behind on developments that could be of crucial importance!

Agreed. I am always amazed Thai sales clerks get a calculator to add basic numbers like 20 plus 80 baht.

But does anyone know what is the key problem with education? Quality of teachers? Rote learning?

Ask as many Thais as you can what 6x7 is and report back your findings ( no calculators allowed)

Edited by does