Defiant Thai lottery vendor fined 10,000 baht for overpricing

webfact

Ironic, they arrest a Thai lottery vendor for overcharging 10 baht, but taxi drivers, tuk-tuk's, jet-ski's ... who have been ripping off the public for years, go scot free. Where's the logic in that ?

Did the previous 'governments' pursue any form of law enforcement? I think not unless it was against their opposition.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crime of the century!!

Thanks to Mr P and his brave men I sleep peacefully in my bed now!!

It is Thai law and none of my business. Sleep and bravery seem to be irrelevant to the issue.

She tried to make a 20 baht profit and are fined 10.000 baht...........

Meanwhile the cop killing Red Bull heir is sniffing his coke in Singapore!!

One law for the rich and another for the poor, not a surprise but still sickening!!

Money talks, and bullshit walks, same all over the world

You could walk away with murder in Thailand for less than 10000 baht . The priorities of the police is not always easy to understand here in Thailand.

Edited by balo

The lottery vendors have been warned multiple times. They have been given every chance to behave. This greedy woman was abusing her position and ripping off people. Yes, one can point to other sectors where worse crimes occur, but that cannot be used to justify this woman's dishonest behaviour. The government is making an example of her in he hopes that others will understand and stop.

How do the critics expect the government to stop the ripoffs unless it takes tough action? The polite requests the threats have not worked.

Good on the government for doing this. I hope it becomes a habit that spreads.

Ironic, they arrest a Thai lottery vendor for overcharging 10 baht, but taxi drivers, tuk-tuk's, jet-ski's ... who have been ripping off the public for years, go scot free. Where's the logic in that ?

Did the previous 'governments' pursue any form of law enforcement? I think not unless it was against their opposition.

Rubbish. The former government attempted to stop the disruption of a legal election. It attempted to stop violent disruptive street protests. The former PM and her ministers are now being pursued in court for doing their job. The former government attempted to stop the land encroachment in Surat Thani and Phuket. This caused several of the ruling robber barons to organize local uprisings. Corruption runs deep in the national character of Thailand. There are many Thais who want to it to change. Unfortunately, as long as we have the ruling families of Surat Thani and Phuket running things in their region, the jet skis, tuk tuks and real estate rip offs will continue.

The government has done the right thing here. Zero tolerance for any and all corruption.

Edited by geriatrickid

The lottery vendor is ripping off Thais.....the others are ripping off tourists.

..................."The lottery vendor is ripping off Thais.....the others are ripping off tourists.".........................

Stupid comment. Piss poor effort at Thai bashing, very amateurish.

Got news for you pal, foreigners, like me, buy lottery tickets. And I am sure I am not the only one. And it may shock and surprise you but Thai people use taxis too and they do get over charged as well. My wife and her friends complain about it all the time.

That was a general statement....how was that Thai bashing? That 'thai bashing' phrase is just overused by over sensitive people and usually add that they have a Thai wife...it's funny, but cute now. I have Thai friends who would probably agree with the man's statement not feel threatened by it.

Edited by mochafan

Can you please explain as a few days ago you stated on here that the new lottery ticket pricing of 80 baht per ticket maximum price as to come into force on the 16th June. So how can someone be fined 5 days before the new law comes into affect?am

Could it be that this website just invents stories? Or is this another honest mistake?

Rubbish. The former government attempted to stop the disruption of a legal election. It attempted to stop violent disruptive street protests. The former PM and her ministers are now being pursued in court for doing their job. The former government attempted to stop the land encroachment in Surat Thani and Phuket. This caused several of the ruling robber barons to organize local uprisings. Corruption runs deep in the national character of Thailand. There are many Thais who want to it to change. Unfortunately, as long as we have the ruling families of Surat Thani and Phuket running things in their region, the jet skis, tuk tuks and real estate rip offs will continue.

The government has done the right thing here. Zero tolerance for any and all corruption.

What utter nonsense. The former PM was a thief and it will soon be proved that Yingluck did not do her job at all. She was just an audacious puppet.

Do you really think fining a lottery ticket vendor is going to make any difference? NO!

Crime of the century!!

What a pathetic comment. Or were you trying to be funny?

Perhaps this criminal was stealing form the poor for years. Did you think of that?

The poor robbing the poorer.

Does the story begin to make sense to you a bit now?

Oh come on....they make only 6 baht on each ticket now, they have to travel quite a bit to sell enough tickets to even make ends meet, that comes out of their takings. Not exactly ' crime of the century'?

This is really a lose, lose situation...........

No way the vendors are going to survive on a profit on 6 baht/ticket, so they will stop selling the lottery. Meaning they will have to get real jobs (95% of the lot are able bodied), which of course is a good thing.

But the state will lose the income from the lottery, as more and more vendors give up.

And solution is so simple: On-line lottery vending machines in all bigger convenience stores/gas stations etc.......... manned by disabled persons!!

And suddenly you have a win/win.........clap2.gif

But probably too logic for the people in charge??

Crime of the century!!

What a pathetic comment. Or were you trying to be funny?

Perhaps this criminal was stealing form the poor for years. Did you think of that?

The poor robbing the poorer.

Does the story begin to make sense to you a bit now?

More stupid than poor I would guess. Why not just buy the ticket from the next vendor who probably wasn't that many feet away who was selling them for 80 baht unless these vigilant policemen didn't notice everyone was selling them for 90 baht. With all the publicity about this at the moment anyone paying more than 80 baht for a ticket needs their head examining.

Gee, I've been here over six years and haven't noticed any Thais that might need their heads examined.

The lottery vendors have been warned multiple times. They have been given every chance to behave. This greedy woman was abusing her position and ripping off people. Yes, one can point to other sectors where worse crimes occur, but that cannot be used to justify this woman's dishonest behaviour. The government is making an example of her in he hopes that others will understand and stop.

How do the critics expect the government to stop the ripoffs unless it takes tough action? The polite requests the threats have not worked.

Good on the government for doing this. I hope it becomes a habit that spreads.

Well said gk, your post made more sense than all the others written by the anti-junta gang put together.

This was not just a lottery ticket seller being busted, it was a message to the people that corruption and greed has to be stopped.

If you let these people go the price of tickets would have gone to 200 baht before long.

The junta does a lot of things that I don't agree with, and I will be glad when they go back to their barracks, but I do agree with this move.

Edited by mikemac

Actually, the red bull killer brat is back in Bangkok. According to multpiple sources he has been seen out partying in town. Not sure if the charges were bought dropped officially, or just actually.

She tried to make a 20 baht profit and are fined 10.000 baht...........

Meanwhile the cop killing Red Bull heir is sniffing his coke in Singapore!!

One law for the rich and another for the poor, not a surprise but still sickening!!

It made the news, it was an example of what you will get if you are caught overpricing and has done what was expected, i was out all day yesterday shopping and the like and every vendor i saw was selling at 80 bht, when you think they were selling at 120 Bht it was a great scam 40bht + 9.4bht per ticket profit for them they just got to greedy and kept pushing their luck, job done, well done PM on to the next one thumbsup.gif

How about issuing some maximum fines for the thousands of criminal acts that get slap on wrist? Why are priorities so screwed up?

It's called 'Saving Face ' - they made the law, if you break it, I will fine you 10,000 baht - the Taxi drivers had a lobby, so their fines were only 1,000 baht for not taking passengers. In the US, they get caught selling Lottery tickets for other than the advertised prices, its $25,000 fine and up to 5 years in Prison, depending on the state.

On a sad note, my favorite sellers at the Shrine are no longer selling tickets - been buying from them for over 15 years.sad.pngsad.png

Oh come on....they make only 6 baht on each ticket now, they have to travel quite a bit to sell enough tickets to even make ends meet, that comes out of their takings. Not exactly ' crime of the century'?

I do not know why this "only 6 baht profit", "they must pay 74 baht for a ticket" is spouted so often when the correct figures have been often cited and are easy to find. For instance, read the Wikipedia entry on the Thai lottery.

Retail agents each get 5 books of 100 tickets each at a price of 70.40 baht per ticket. This equates to a total profit of 4,800 baht per 15 days (9,600 baht per month) if selling at the fixed price of 80 baht per ticket, 19,600 baht per month if selling for 90 baht and 49,600 baht per month if able to charge 120 baht per ticket. Some organizations are allowed ticket allocations at a lower price of 68.80 baht per ticket which means greater profits. For retail agents selling at the correct price of 80 baht, earnings of 9,600 baht per month is certainly not much, but for many of them it is not their only source of income.

Edited by BritTim

I do not know why this "only 6 baht profit", "they must pay 74 baht for a ticket" is spouted so often when the correct figures have been often cited and are easy to find. For instance, read the Wikipedia entry on the Thai lottery.

Retail agents each get 5 books of 100 tickets each at a price of 70.40 baht per ticket. This equates to a total profit of 4,800 baht per 15 days (9,600 baht per month) if selling at the fixed price of 80 baht per ticket, 19,600 baht per month if selling for 90 baht and 49,600 baht per month if able to charge 120 baht per ticket. Some organizations are allowed ticket allocations at a lower price of 68.80 baht per ticket which means greater profits. For retail agents selling at the correct price of 80 baht, earnings of 9,600 baht per month is certainly not much, but for many of them it is not their only source of income.

I can only go by what my gf has told me, her Dad, brother, and Aunties and Uncle all sell them in Korat, they travel down from Loei every week. She says they pay 74 bht, she has no reason to lie to me, so i was quoting her prices only. If you know different, i bow to your superior knowledge of ticket prices...

I can only go by what my gf has told me, her Dad, brother, and Aunties and Uncle all sell them in Korat, they travel down from Loei every week. She says they pay 74 bht, she has no reason to lie to me, so i was quoting her prices only. If you know different, i bow to your superior knowledge of ticket prices...

Could it be simply a communications error: 74 vs 70.40?

Did she write it down or say it?

Could it be simply a communications error: 74 vs 70.40?

Did she write it down or say it?

She said it, but she also said now they make only 5 or 6 baht. but they do quite well to be honest, her Aunt just bought a brand new car for her Aunt's niece, and they all travel in newish pick-ups, and the odd dripping of gold...lol. So they aren't on the 'breadline' yet!

Their houses are ok in Loei, but they live in a right ol' shithole in Korat, about a dozen or more of them staying in no more than a wooden shack.

Even my mrs (gf) says she could never live there. Anyway, we are off to Loei for her 'sister's' wedding on Tuesday, i'll get more inside information then. I will get THEM to buy ME gold for a change eh?

The price of 70.40 baht per ticket and allocation of 500 tickets per draw for registered agents is definitely the law. I can see at least three possible explanations for the discrepancy:

• Your girlfriend's relatives are not registered, and must purchase the tickets through middlemen.
  • The local distributors (do they get the tickets in Loei or Korat) are applying an illegal markup.
  • They are either being economical with the truth, or there is a problem with the translation between "seventy point four" and "seventy four".

It would be interesting to know.

The price of 70.40 baht per ticket and allocation of 500 tickets per draw for registered agents is definitely the law. I can see at least three possible explanations for the discrepancy:

• Your girlfriend's relatives are not registered, and must purchase the tickets through middlemen.
  • The local distributors (do they get the tickets in Loei or Korat) are applying an illegal markup.
  • They are either being economical with the truth, or there is a problem with the translation between "seventy point four" and "seventy four".
It would be interesting to know.
It seems like they are NOT registered, because to be registered you need to buy a shed-load of tickets...they do ok, but are only small-fry by the seems of it. I just asked the mrs.

She says you need to buy 1-2million baht of tickets to be a registered buyer...this is only what she is telling me, by the way. But it does seem plausible.

Her family have been coming down to Korat to sell them for 10 years, i will know more on Tuesday, Wednesday.

It seems like they are NOT registered, because to be registered you need to buy a shed-load of tickets...they do ok, but are only small-fry by the seems of it. I just asked the mrs.

She says you need to buy 1-2million baht of tickets to be a registered buyer...this is only what she is telling me, by the way. But it does seem plausible.

Her family have been coming down to Korat to sell them for 10 years, i will know more on Tuesday, Wednesday.

Each registered agent buys 500 tickets per drawing at 70.40 baht each, a total cost of 35,200 baht. If they cannot raise this up front, I think the local money lenders will typically charge about 700 baht to front them the money for repayment in 2 weeks.