Red-shirt activist Jaran grateful France granted him political asylum

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somehow the word 'allegedly' seems missing.

BTW the 'he' is k. Jaran Ditapichai. As for pension, well, he is entitled to come and get it. Governments mostly do not 'wire' money to fugitives even if they're alleged to have been granted political asylum. I wonder about the asylum granted as mostly people who requested asylum are told be refrain from political activities while their request is being processed. Even after having been granted asylum there tend to be restrictions, even in the democratic West.

The fact that some countries may apply an in country requirement to collect some pensions doesn't mean all countries do so. If that was the case, many westerners in Thailand wouldn't be collecting their pensions. The gentleman hasn't been convicted of anything. He is accused under the LM law. He paid into a pension and did not violate his employment conditions when he was employed. I find it incredible, but telling that you support the theft of pension monies.

Are you aware that your homeland as part of the EU does not support its use? Not that such a position would concern you. We all know you support the use of the LM law to quash basic civil liberties. I won't argue with one who advocates the suspension of civil liberties. You can have your jollies goading someone else.

In respect to the grant of asylum in the west, there is no restriction on political activities subject to their being legal. France has a long tradition of granting asylum to oppressed people.

Saw the great defender of Bangkok on the TV this morning.

He seems to be asking the Thai people to be patient.

He has picked the right audience, the Thai people have shown impeccable patience for the last 80 plus years while waiting for equality, freedom of expression, freedom from feudalism and other great ideals.

I agree with most of what you say, especially that no real left-of-centre party has emerged. Certainly Pridi WAS vilified in the distant past but he is recognised - even by the mythical Bangkok 'elite' - as the father of Thai democracy.

The problem with most of the left-wing individuals is that they have attached themselves to politicians or groups funded by politicians (elites) who have no use for their ideology but only to use them to further their power and enrichment aims.

If Pridi was the father of Thai democracy, it would have been better if he had married its mother. Perhaps she was his sister, certainly inbreeding could explain the deformed bastard it produced.

Well, actually on the 24th of June 2012 the UDD commemorated the 80th anniversary of Thai Democracy. That would make Phraya Phahol Pholphayuhasena and Phraya Songsuradej the fathers even though some might see them as Bangkok Amart.

If my Thai history isn't too rusty, the 2012 UDD commemoration was more about the end of Rama VII's absolute monarchy and Pridi's unrealized vision for the end of feudalism and not about the start of +80 years of 'army inspired' coups and counter coups.

No, it was about "80th anniversary of Thai Democracy". In a way they commemorated a coup', a "pro-democracy coup" by Army Colonels led by two Bangkok Amart.

Edited by rubl

I firmly believe that the vast majority of the TV trolls on here supporting the so called current government have been spending an excessive amount of time out in the sun as it appears from their delusional posts that they have fried their brains....

Edited by ldiablo

"he 68-year-old Jaran spent his time in France contacting officials at various European Foreign Ministries, European parliamentarians, lobbying the United Nation's Human Rights Council and trying to convince the European Union on his version of Thailand"

Whatever his political version is, I agree.

It shows real Intelligence to agree to something your not even sure about. It is typical of Red Shirt/Communist supporters on this forum.

Somehow the word 'allegedly' seems missing.

BTW the 'he' is k. Jaran Ditapichai. As for pension, well, he is entitled to come and get it. Governments mostly do not 'wire' money to fugitives even if they're alleged to have been granted political asylum. I wonder about the asylum granted as mostly people who requested asylum are told be refrain from political activities while their request is being processed. Even after having been granted asylum there tend to be restrictions, even in the democratic West.

The fact that some countries may apply an in country requirement to collect some pensions doesn't mean all countries do so. If that was the case, many westerners in Thailand wouldn't be collecting their pensions. The gentleman hasn't been convicted of anything. He is accused under the LM law. He paid into a pension and did not violate his employment conditions when he was employed. I find it incredible, but telling that you support the theft of pension monies.

Are you aware that your homeland as part of the EU does not support its use? Not that such a position would concern you. We all know you support the use of the LM law to quash basic civil liberties. I won't argue with one who advocates the suspension of civil liberties. You can have your jollies goading someone else.

In respect to the grant of asylum in the west, there is no restriction on political activities subject to their being legal. France has a long tradition of granting asylum to oppressed people.

Laws don't mean a bloody thing to you, just your feelings about situations?

The OAG can legally request the relevant court to temporarily stop paying or block paid pension terms. The justification would be that the 'accused' has fled the country and depriving him of funds may make it easier to get him return. Now that's not theft.

The 'come and get it' was a manner of speech, you as Englishmen should have understood that. The important part followed where I wrote that governments do not pay pensions to fugitives from the law.

The 'we all know" is interesting, so is the suggestion I support the LM law. The accusation of goading seems to confirm you have nothing serious to say and try to find a way out.

Your last sentence needs clarification. You seem to suggest a refugee once granted asylum is legal and has no political restrictions? Apart from limits on 'integrating' in local politics a refugee may still have various other restrictions. I have no details for France.

Till now we only have k. Jaran stating he was granted political asylum, but then OFPRA doesn't report in the newspapers on every case closed. Anyway It would seem k. Jaran arrived in France from outside the EC as otherwise he would have been send back to point of EC entry.

BTW.

Asylum in France

French law recognizes rights to asylum or political refugee status for a foreign-born person who is subject to persecution by a sovereign or non-sovereign authority. Asylum may be granted further to the rules of the Geneva Convention, where the petitioner can establish that he/she is persecuted in his/her country due to race, religion, nationality, belonging to a social group or due to his/her political opinions. Asylum may also be granted by reference to the 1946 French Constitution based upon persecution due to actions in favour of freedom. Refugee or asylum status is requested at the French Office for Protection of Refugees and Expatriates (OFPRA). After the OFPRA issues a certificate of deposit of the request, the petitioner must go to the Préfecture where he resides, which will issue a receipt of request for asylum, valid for three months. If the petitioner is admitted under asylum status and he/she has a long stay visa, the Préfecture will issue a receipt valid for a six month stay, which is renewable until the OFPRA issues its final decision. If OFPRA's reply is positive, the petitioner may claim a residency card.

A good asylum application is one based on persecution or fear of persecution that you personally faced. When writing the details of your case it is important to include as much information as possible (dates, places, names of people involved), even if it does not seem obviously relevant. If you speak only of the general political situation in your country, you do not have much chance of success. If necessary, you can add pages to those of the " OFPRA file” and attach documents (evidence various newspaper articles, etc.).
Edited by rubl

"he 68-year-old Jaran spent his time in France contacting officials at various European Foreign Ministries, European parliamentarians, lobbying the United Nation's Human Rights Council and trying to convince the European Union on his version of Thailand"

It shows real Intelligence to agree to something your not even sure about. It is typical of Red Shirt/Communist supporters on this forum.

To Wombat6 , Many Thai political figures have ended up in France. This is mainly because France supports and tolerates a very diverse range of political opinion.

Often Thai refugees have had anti feudalist opinions which brings them foul and on the wrong side of Thailand's LM law added to the general law of defamation as exists in Thailand.

Your right to call us Communist/ Red Shirt supporters should be fully upheld, even if untrue. I believe that all true Frenchmen and women would support your right to say whatever you think. That is the prime reason Thais will seek France as a haven from further persecution.

I firmly believe that the vast majority of the TV trolls on here supporting the so called current government have been spending an excessive amount of time out in the sun as it appears from their delusional posts that they have fried their brains....

I was indeed wondering about bannum, but I'm sure he'll be granted asylum in France on humanitarian grounds.

Smart politicians always want to pick the election date, at a time they think will best favor themselves. Thaksin was delaying an election in 2006 whilst illegally occupying the position of caretaker PM until he thought things more favorable to him. Yingluck wanted to rush an election in 2014 as he thought enough support could still be mustered to get another largest minority vote win, perhaps before more "truths" leaked out. The current government won't call an election until they're sure the "reforms" they want have been enacted.

"Smart politicians always want to pick the election date:

Careful, you're suggesting that Prayuth and company are politicians, many people won't like that. You're also drawing parallels between elected governments and this unelected military junta.

As far as "truths" leaking out, it already been established that Prayuth is uninterested in investigating corruption in the military, the army is complicit in human trafficking, and Prayuth's Eastern Tigers faction of the army became wealthy and bought power by illegal dealings with the Khmer Rouge. How many more truths do you want to leak out?

Only Thakisn wasn't the elected government anymore in 2006 - he's dissolved parliament, resigned as caretaker PM and then taken the job back with no legal authority. Or do you dispute that?

The current government, regardless of not being elected, are the current legal government of Thailand.

Any proof you care to offer to support your wild speculations in your last paragraphs? Other than we all see one Lt-Gen has been arrested so far.

Edited by Baerboxer

Lots of posters are claiming Jaran did many terrible things. If Thailand tried to extradite him for burning buildings or murder and had evidence these charges were legitimate I'm sure France would be cooperative. However the only reasons mentioned for the extradition are refusing to report to the military junta when summoned and possible lese majeste offenses. I can think of no civilized countries that will extradite someone for these "offenses".

Was extradition even mentioned at all?

"The anti-coup dissident fled after the coup and is now wanted for both refusing to report to the military junta and allegedly violating the lese majeste law."

No, but I assume that if Jaran is wanted by the Thai government that extradition is the approach they'd take,

Smart politicians always want to pick the election date, at a time they think will best favor themselves. Thaksin was delaying an election in 2006 whilst illegally occupying the position of caretaker PM until he thought things more favorable to him. Yingluck wanted to rush an election in 2014 as he thought enough support could still be mustered to get another largest minority vote win, perhaps before more "truths" leaked out. The current government won't call an election until they're sure the "reforms" they want have been enacted.

"Smart politicians always want to pick the election date:

Careful, you're suggesting that Prayuth and company are politicians, many people won't like that. You're also drawing parallels between elected governments and this unelected military junta.

As far as "truths" leaking out, it already been established that Prayuth is uninterested in investigating corruption in the military, the army is complicit in human trafficking, and Prayuth's Eastern Tigers faction of the army became wealthy and bought power by illegal dealings with the Khmer Rouge. How many more truths do you want to leak out?

Only Thakisn wasn't the elected government anymore in 2006 - he's dissolved parliament, resigned as caretaker PM and then taken the job back with no legal authority. Or do you dispute that?

The current government, regardless of not being elected, are the current legal government of Thailand.

Any proof you care to offer to support your wild speculations in your last paragraphs? Other than we all see one Lt-Gen has been arrested so far.

Thaksin was in a position to dissolve parliament and call for elections because he was elected in 2000. I don't know if he had acted in full compliance with the law in his actions leading up to the planned election, but he and the caretaker government was elected.

The current government seized power, suspended the constitution and dissolved all democratic institutions. I'm sure the Thai courts would agree it is the legal government, what choice would they have? I'm not sure if international courts would agree.

Regarding corruption, I'll once again re-post my earlier post #31:

It's not political, it's based upon evidence: http://thediplomat.c...ption-scandals/

and statements in Foreign Policy, a respected journal:

"...Prayuth soon became a prominent member of the Eastern Tigers, a royalist military faction based in eastern Thailand. In the 1990s, Chambers said, the Eastern Tigers amassed considerable wealth by trading gems with Cambodian Khmer Rouge insurgents based along the two countries’ border, a racket which “directly benefited” the faction and some of its commanders. Within a decade, the Eastern Tigers dominated the Thai military."

Edited by heybruce

Lots of posters are claiming Jaran did many terrible things. If Thailand tried to extradite him for burning buildings or murder and had evidence these charges were legitimate I'm sure France would be cooperative. However the only reasons mentioned for the extradition are refusing to report to the military junta when summoned and possible lese majeste offenses. I can think of no civilized countries that will extradite someone for these "offenses".

"The anti-coup dissident fled after the coup and is now wanted for both refusing to report to the military junta and allegedly violating the lese majeste law."

No, but I assume that if Jaran is wanted by the Thai government that extradition is the approach they'd take,

Does/has any Thai government extradite?

I don't know why you are obsessed with extradition, but yes:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/796704-american-fights-extradition-for-phuket-kidnapping/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/811118-thai-police-pursue-extradition-for-suspects-of-criminal-court-bombing/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777312-extradition-of-former-thai-monk-held-up/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760086-police-seek-activists-extradition-for-blackshirt-charges/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/792956-thai-police-will-seek-to-extradite-key-kmitl-suspect-from-the-uk/?hl=%2Bextradite

I don't know why you are obsessed with extradition, but yes:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/796704-american-fights-extradition-for-phuket-kidnapping/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/811118-thai-police-pursue-extradition-for-suspects-of-criminal-court-bombing/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777312-extradition-of-former-thai-monk-held-up/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760086-police-seek-activists-extradition-for-blackshirt-charges/?hl=%2Bextradition

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/792956-thai-police-will-seek-to-extradite-key-kmitl-suspect-from-the-uk/?hl=%2Bextradite

Me obsessed!!!

You're the one that mentioned it from an article that had no information relevant to extradition!!!!

Hey Baer Boxer, you are intelligent and well read but I am surprised that you were unaware of the Eastern Tigers and Prayuth's role in monopolising the gem trade with the Khmer Rhouge. All a long time ago, but did happen as explained to you by Hey Bruce.

Left my copy of today's Bangkok Post at the restaurant, cannot tell you which page, but there is an article today explaining how the bribes required by the generals in the current bidding processes for public works are at about the same level as a year ago. The paper thinks the bribes required by the junta are too high.

I'de be happy to escape Thailand and live in France if I was going to be subjected to someones personal interpretation of the LM laws......the threat of 20 years in a Thai prison would make anyone leave!

I don't know anything about this man but from what GK says he's not that bad. It seems like he might be one of the redshirt side that could be part of a better future for Thailand, along with more moderate Democrats if the Thaksin influence can be removed.

Hey Baer Boxer, you are intelligent and well read but I am surprised that you were unaware of the Eastern Tigers and Prayuth's role in monopolising the gem trade with the Khmer Rhouge. All a long time ago, but did happen as explained to you by Hey Bruce.

Left my copy of today's Bangkok Post at the restaurant, cannot tell you which page, but there is an article today explaining how the bribes required by the generals in the current bidding processes for public works are at about the same level as a year ago. The paper thinks the bribes required by the junta are too high.

The recent rail projects perhaps?

I have been assuming they are massively corrupt due to a complete lack of transparency.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

S

The BP article is online.

"Prayuth's role in monopolising the gem trade with the Khmer Rhouge"

I doubt you'll be able to prove that, even an article which can't be linked didn't suggest that.

I have been assuming they are massively corrupt due to a complete lack of transparency.

Lack of info is not the same as lack of transparency. Anyway, you really should try to get on the distribution list the government uses to keep TVF posters informed.

Lack of info is not the same as lack of transparency. Anyway, you really should try to get on the distribution list the government uses to keep TVF posters informed.

"Lack of info" about major infrastructure projects which are progressing in some way is EXACTLY lack of transparency.

The Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed line has been in planning for years. In 2012, the feasibility study was supposed to be done by the Chinese. The TEAM Group, a consortium of Thai based companies, claims to have done the feasibility study, but I can't find a record of them being awarded that project. The the coup happened, and by May of this year, a deal had been struck with the Japanese:

"After the signing ceremony, Japanese rail experts will visit Thailand next month and work with the authorities to carry out surveys of the routes and designs, which will take about six months, Deputy Transport..." (BP, 27 May)

So who's doing the survey and design work? And under what publicly visible process did the Japanese "win"?

(Of course, we all know how this works. The Japanese load Thailand a hefty sum at a low interest rate, and in return the Japanese get a very substantial fraction of the EPC work, at a markup.)

Regarding "the distribution list the government uses to keep TVF posters informed" cheesy.gif

I doubt you'll be able to prove that, even an article which can't be linked didn't suggest that.

You are correct Rubl. It would be hard to prove inside Thailand because the PM Chanocha has instructed the press and others not to investigate the assets of him or Lieut. General Preecha Chanocha. However in any country outside Thailand all people would become suspicious about folk who have only a modest income acquiring huge wealth from an invisible source. I agree with you that Chanocha may have won millions of dollars from bets placed at bull fights but there is no evidence of him ever attending a bullfight, maybe he sent some one else to place the successful bets for him. On the other hand there were lots of sightings of him being seen on the Cambodian border early in his career. In another country it would be a legitimate question " Where did you acquire your wealth?" I fully expect to be shot for raising the issue, something to do with the LM laws I am told.

"Lack of info" about major infrastructure projects which are progressing in some way is EXACTLY lack of transparency.

The Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed line has been in planning for years. In 2012, the feasibility study was supposed to be done by the Chinese. The TEAM Group, a consortium of Thai based companies, claims to have done the feasibility study, but I can't find a record of them being awarded that project. The the coup happened, and by May of this year, a deal had been struck with the Japanese:

"After the signing ceremony, Japanese rail experts will visit Thailand next month and work with the authorities to carry out surveys of the routes and designs, which will take about six months, Deputy Transport..." (BP, 27 May)

So who's doing the survey and design work? And under what publicly visible process did the Japanese "win"?

(Of course, we all know how this works. The Japanese load Thailand a hefty sum at a low interest rate, and in return the Japanese get a very substantial fraction of the EPC work, at a markup.)

Regarding "the distribution list the government uses to keep TVF posters informed" cheesy.gif

Questions, questions. Why not do some reading first. Lots of info available (in Thai).

BTW

2012-02-25

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government for now has derailed a plan to construct high-speed railways linking Thailand to Asean countries and China, agreed in principle by the previous government, saying it will start instead with Bangkok-Chiang Mai as the first route."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Sino-Thai-high-speed-rail-link-put-on-hold-for-now-30176665.html

2012-12-08

"BANGKOK, Dec. 7 (Xinhua) -- Thailand has planned to run Chinese- made high-speed railway systems designed to have time-saving, inexpensive trains for long-distance commuters shuttling between Bangkok and the northern city of Chiang Mai and between the capital and the northeastern province of Nong Khai, a senior official said here on Friday.

Construction of the initial stage of the railway project for the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route is scheduled to begin by the middle or second half of next year. The railway project for both routes will be completed until 2015, he said."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2012-12/08/c_124065472.htm

You are correct Rubl. It would be hard to prove inside Thailand because the PM Chanocha has instructed the press and others not to investigate the assets of him or Lieut. General Preecha Chanocha. However in any country outside Thailand all people would become suspicious about folk who have only a modest income acquiring huge wealth from an invisible source. I agree with you that Chanocha may have won millions of dollars from bets placed at bull fights but there is no evidence of him ever attending a bullfight, maybe he sent some one else to place the successful bets for him. On the other hand there were lots of sightings of him being seen on the Cambodian border early in his career. In another country it would be a legitimate question " Where did you acquire your wealth?" I fully expect to be shot for raising the issue, something to do with the LM laws I am told.

Lots of insinuations, but the PM had declared his wealth, has discussed the sales of land from his father, etc., etc. To suggest that there should be more details is a bit of wishful thinking.

Anyway, even the article which is published outside Thailand and not bothered by the Thai LM laws doesn't suggest Prayut had a role in 'monopolising gem trade'. Interesting to see someone quote another one as "(Paul) Chambers said". Assumes a lot. It's like someone saying "someone said Thaksin amassed billions through corruption". Of course we believe.

BTW I didn't read the BP article yet (can a friendly soul PM a link please wai.gif ), but if 'bribes' to government officials are barely lower under an appointed government than they are under an elected government, one might start to think about reforms in the government apparatus, the government bureaucrats, the government workers.

If it is their political belief that a corrupt criminal should rule the country

if it is their political belief that it is good news when innocent children are killed

if it is their political belief that artist with other political beliefs should be violently hindered from performing

if it is their political belief that Bangkok should be burnt down

if it is their political belief corruption is a way of making politics

if it is their political belief that violence like firing grenades on people whose belief they don't like is a legal way of politics

if ... if ... if....

than I am perfectly happy that those citizens should be forced to completely abandon those believes

and I would not be sad if they

leave the country for France . or better Siberia or may be the moon?

I take it that it is your political belief that a corrupt general should rule Thailand.

I take it that it is your political belief that PM Prayuth is corrupt

It's not political, it's based upon evidence: http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/

and statements in Foreign Policy, a respected journal:

"...Prayuth soon became a prominent member of the Eastern Tigers, a royalist military faction based in eastern Thailand. In the 1990s, Chambers said, the Eastern Tigers amassed considerable wealth by trading gems with Cambodian Khmer Rouge insurgents based along the two countries’ border, a racket which “directly benefited” the faction and some of its commanders. Within a decade, the Eastern Tigers dominated the Thai military."

Again and again and again

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/814507-nacc-graft-busting-efforts-remain-impartial/page-2#entry9273277

Hey Rubl,

The point is this.

The Shinawatras have been put under the microscope and then subject to the blow torch. Nothing wrong with that in a democratic country. They have been found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. But Thailand is not a democratic country. That is the problem.

The first constitution in 1932 contained a lot of reference to the French concept of " equality". You may say the French are oversexed but I would answer that that does not invalidate their political philosophy.

That first constitution was quickly thrown out as equality does not play a role in Bangkok's view of Thai society.

I would respectfully submit to you that Prayut has not been subject to the microscope, and will not, because his political system is dictatorship.