Thai police pursue extradition for suspects of Criminal Court bombing

webfact

Police pursue extradition for suspects of Criminal Court bomb

PNPOL580322001001801.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 March 2015 (NNT) – The police are now coordinating the extradition of the Ratchada Criminal Court bombing suspect currently living abroad, while all related perpetrators will be prosecuted, said the Commissioner-General.

The Royal Thai Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang has revealed the progress of the Ratchada Criminal Court bombing incident case that the police are now in the progress of requesting for the extradition of Mr. Anek Chaichana (Anek San Fran), a suspect for this case. in accord to the extradition treaty.

He has said that the procedures will require official documentation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be sent to the United States, the location of the suspect, after an arrest warrant has been issued by the court.

The Police Commissioner-General has warned that the suspect may choose to depart the United States to a country that does not share an extradition treaty with Thailand. This matter must be proceeds as quickly as possible, says the Police Commissioner-General.

The Police Commissioner-General also mentioned the tracing of Mr. Weerasak Towangjorn (Yai Pattaya), another suspect of this case, that the police is following the suspects and will be making the arrest. Other related suspects' arrests will be considered based on the evidence.

He has added that all suspects and those who are related to the case will be prosecuted to maximum degree, while the evidence is being checked for completion in the presentation for this case by the inquiry officials.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-23 footer_n.gif

Until martial law is ended - no country should allow extradition -- but if the evidence provided by the military is sufficient (i.e. mini-trial indicates sufficient evidence to potentially convict) then they should be detailed until such time as civilian rule is re-established and then extradited.

Hope that no country will ever extradite any LM suspects to Thailand!!

Most countries extradition treaties would not allow it. The crime typically has to be considered a crime in both the country that the person is being extradited from and the country that they are being extradited to -- which is why I am suspicious of the potential to trump up the charges to more serious crimes so the extradition treaty would cover it.

I however would not cry if Ms. Rose is extradited.... I don't like people using their host countries for the purpose of violating laws back in their home country (he is doing Thai language LM broadcasts - which is obviously targeted to be seen in Thailand).

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Now I know very little about extradition law, but I assume that the US courts will require to see some pretty convincing evidence before agreeing to any extradition?

Given the reluctance of the US, throughout the 1970s and 1980s, to extradite IRA terrorists against whom there was a good deal of evidence, I suspect this is something of a lost cause.

Still it will give some of our colleagues who are convinced that Thaksin, Obama and the entire US establishment are owned by a coalition of International Communism and the Rothschilds something to get their teeth into!

• Like 1

Okay Mr Police-General, let us make a deal!!

The day you honestly and publicly explain how your unusual wealth was gathered, that is the day the suspects turn themselves in.

Sounds fair?

• Like 2

Most countries extradition treaties would not allow it. The crime typically has to be considered a crime in both the country that the person is being extradited from and the country that they are being extradited to -- which is why I am suspicious of the potential to trump up the charges to more serious crimes so the extradition treaty would cover it.

I however would not cry if Ms. Rose is extradited.... I don't like people using their host countries for the purpose of violating laws back in their home country (he is doing Thai language LM broadcasts - which is obviously targeted to be seen in Thailand).

Also known as freedom of speech. Indeed a very dangerous animal..........................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Also known as freedom of speech. Indeed a very dangerous animal..........................coffee1.gif

People use their host Countries to criticise their own Countries all the time. There are groups in the UK that broadcast and print publications about abuses in Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe et al. You might call it propoganda but it also falls under the banner of free speech.

• Like 2

Now I know very little about extradition law, but I assume that the US courts will require to see some pretty convincing evidence before agreeing to any extradition?

Given the reluctance of the US, throughout the 1970s and 1980s, to extradite IRA terrorists against whom there was a good deal of evidence, I suspect this is something of a lost cause.

Still it will give some of our colleagues who are convinced that Thaksin, Obama and the entire US establishment are owned by a coalition of International Communism and the Rothschilds something to get their teeth into!

Oh yes, the US has always been reluctant to extradite, while quite willing to apply pressure to their treaty partners. Especially when the felon concerned is a US citizen though code 3196 allows this.

That doesn't apply to Anek, and if he has been stupid enough to plan this via the internet, the US should be able to verify the evidence. I'm sure Thailand would be willing to drop the LM charges for something more substantial, if that was a concern.

• Like 2

The Police Commissioner-General has warned that the suspect may choose to depart the United States to a country that does not share an extradition treaty with Thailand. This matter must be proceeds as quickly as possible, says the Police Commissioner-General.

Heads up dude, we're coming after you. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

I think you'll find most countries that have freedom of speech also have some laws to curb speech they don't like. Not exactly "freedom" any more. The days when people could flee to the UK for instance, and go and say whatever they wanted at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park are long gone. Even more care must be taken when writing on the Internet. The US seems to tolerate more non politically correct comments than the UK.

But when it comes to extradition - the US wants whoever it says it wants extradited at once to the US; but rarely reciprocates, especially if that person has American citizenship. The murderer Knox is a classic example. America believes US law and courts are somehow above all others. Even UK couldn't get IRA terrorists extradited.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech, terms of treaties or what's right or wrong anymore. All to do with what the politicians want.

I think you'll find most countries that have freedom of speech also have some laws to curb speech they don't like. Not exactly "freedom" any more. The days when people could flee to the UK for instance, and go and say whatever they wanted at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park are long gone. Even more care must be taken when writing on the Internet. The US seems to tolerate more non politically correct comments than the UK.

But when it comes to extradition - the US wants whoever it says it wants extradited at once to the US; but rarely reciprocates, especially if that person has American citizenship. The murderer Knox is a classic example. America believes US law and courts are somehow above all others. Even UK couldn't get IRA terrorists extradited.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech, terms of treaties or what's right or wrong anymore. All to do with what the politicians want.

Yes and other countries should stop handing over people to the US, they want all the benefits but none of the responsibilities. Really Thai of the US government.

Any extradiction from the US and most other Western-style democratic nations is further complicated by the alleged human rights violations of torture and denial of representation while being held incognito as secret Army locations. The Junta learns nothing when it comes to being sensitive to human rights. But that can be expected given the Thai military's long TRADITION of overthrowing elected governments, and abusing the rights and liberties of the entire Thai population.

I am sure Prayut has already written his "They do not understand" memo to the news media in anticipation of US denial for extradition. The good news is that his PR people will have Prayut say some really entertaining quotes that we can all have a good chuckle.