living in Phayao

sunoco27

y life in Ban Chen 14 Kilometers from Phayao, very nice place, but very quiet, no restaurants no bars and not many foreigners....as there is no imigration in phayao y always make trips to pattaya,so y life 50% in ban chen and 50% in pattaya it gives me a change every 3-4 weeks....y travel with nakhon chai air bus direct from phayao to pattaya abt 12 hours a trip

Phayao is an ok place. Me and the wife went there to see in the new year. Very busy at that time with sound/light show on at the lake and a flower show. Several pubs have live music and some good restaurants along the front. around the other side of the lake are the bigger houses behind walls but I have only driven out that way once.

I looked at Phayao about 10 years ago with the idea of living there but it must of been the wrong month as tiny yellow flies were falling off the lights at the restaurant and going on everything.

Phayao is an ok place. Me and the wife went there to see in the new year. Very busy at that time with sound/light show on at the lake and a flower show. Several pubs have live music and some good restaurants along the front. Around the other side of the lake are the bigger houses behind walls but I have only driven out that way once.

I looked at Phayao about 10 years ago with the idea of living there but it must of been the wrong month as tiny yellow flies were falling off the lights at the restaurant and going on everything.

post-232120-0-09209300-1434167808_thumb.

I have lived in Phayao now for 3 years now and I love it. It's quite, and no pressure to get things done. I must say I'm a guy who doesn't like the Fast track life of a BBK or Chaiang Mai, Chaing Rai or any of the towns downs South. There's is lots of restaurants to pick from and we have Grand Phayao lake which is very nice place to walk around and there is always something going on there. There are lots of epats living here in and around Phayao. I do the 90 day report and visa at Chiang Rai which I enjoy as it so easy and fast, the officers are very nice and helpful. I also like doing some shopping at the bigger stores in Chiang Rai every 90 days although Mako will be completed in about two months. Just a side note I've never been in the Chiang Rai Immagation office for a 90 day report longer than 15 minutes. When renewing my visa around 45 minutes max. You can only renew visa on Monday or wednesday.

We have two hotels with a new one tone completed soon many homestays around the lake but if you looking for lots of entertainment Phayao is not the place for you. Id you need to get away for a weekend or longer it's Phayao is not far from Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Lumpang, and of course you can easily fly down to BBK or fauther down South. I hope I've helped you somewhat in your decision making process.

Regards

Great small town, and a nice lake for boating, fishing, picnics and walks, day and night. Great restaurants, small and friendly farang community. Very nice university, and schools, and sometimes very cold weather in Winter. The surroundings are very beautiful, with large valleys and high hills. Very close to Chiang Rai and Lampang, 45 minutes away, towns not so busy like Chiang Mai, but with cheaper cost of living. Very easy and friendly new immigration office in Chiang Rai, and another now in Lampang, At Chiang Rai, many times I was the only one 'client" and not taking more than 20 minutes for any service. Good AC, confi seats. If nothing better to do, after shooping at Makro, just go there for free coffee and a fun chat with the bored officers. They need to get busy!

That will be hard to believe to the "victims of the Chiang Mai office. A real nightmare!

Edited by Muzarella

Lampang to Phayao is 136 Km. I went a lot before I bought my condo in CM and stayed a week or more at a time. I liked it so much that I never mentioned it to the circus pants crowd, always directing them to the Pai mini-bus. I've only been to Lampang once, but it appears that there is more and better nightlife in Phayao, which is only 1/5 the size. Better climate, too. FWIW, nobody swims in the lake, but it is pretty.post-227967-0-78434000-1434187340_thumb.

Edited by bangmai

Depends where you've come from. If you are used to big city, small city, large town/small town life back home, Phayao may not suit well. But if you're from the Blue Ridge Mountain villages or the remote hamlets in the North of England, Phayo may suit. Word of warning, you may get fed up of looking at the lake so best try find something else to do as well.

A few years ago I spent quite a bit of time east of the town of Dok Kham Tai, which is a little east of Phayao. Lovely small town on the highway. Phayao has a good night market. There is a 9 hole golf course at the army base (know nothing about it). There is a driving range between Phayao and DKT.

I think this thread should be deleted before too many people realize that Phayao really is a pretty good place to live.shock1.gif

I know just what you mean Paagai. When we first escaped the commune ih Hua-hin and travelled north I looked in Lonely Planet and found Phayao was not listed. A secret of the north.

It is a well kept secret and the waterfront is a lovely place with excellent food and beautiful sunsets. Many inexpensive guest houses in town and a short hop over to Phu Che Fah. A few modern coffee shops were starting to serve American breakfasts last time we were there but Western food is not available anywhere else. The barbequed fish at the waterfront is fantastic.

post-498-0-02837000-1434200216_thumb.jpgpost-498-0-72800700-1434200222_thumb.jpgpost-498-0-26468500-1434200220_thumb.jpg

Somebody said that there is not restaurant with farang food in Phayao...Not right...It is an Italian guy called Muzarella serving the best chicken cacciatore and pizza in Thailand, and some nice steak houses. The Gateway Hotel, very nice but kind of expensive, but...meters away is the Win...closer to the bus station, with the best rooms and best showers I found in a budget hotel in Thailand..and with parking.... for.about 400thb. Free Nescafe too, and good wifi.

From the bus station, the lake is about 7 blocks away, and the first lakeside restaurant you will see on the right corner serves a wonderful menu. The sunset is free. The drive from Lanpang is very nice. A large and picturesque empty road, with many attractions on the way. The Temple, Museum, and Buddhism School.. .the largest in Thailand. The Shrine and the Coves by the herbs market by the road.

More 40 minutes from Phayao...the White Temple and Chiang Rai. The city of the Arts, Krua Silapa Restaurant in Bandu, and the House of Tawan Datchanee at the Black Park, the Mae Fa Luang University... and Doi Tung, the beautiful King's Mother home and gardens....Amazing sites!

All on the way to Mae Sai and the Burma border with the Chinesse Market where everything is very cheap...but even more if you bargain hard....

Edited by Muzarella

"The Gateway Hotel, very nice but kind of expensive",

To put this comment into context, the cost of stay at the Gateway Hotel, for two people, is around THB 800 per night, including breakfast.

Hope the pool is nice & the breakfast includes smoked salmon...

Somebody said that there is not restaurant with farang food in Phayao...Not right...It is an Italian guy called Muzarella serving the best chicken cacciatore and pizza in Thailand, and some nice steak houses. The Gateway Hotel, very nice but kind of expensive, but...meters away is the Win...closer to the bus station, with the best rooms and best showers I found in a budget hotel in Thailand..and with parking.... for.about 400thb. Free Nescafe too, and good wifi.

From the bus station, the lake is about 7 blocks away, and the first lakeside restaurant you will see on the right corner serves a wonderful menu. The sunset is free. The drive from Lanpang is very nice. A large and picturesque empty road, with many attractions on the way. The Temple, Museum, and Buddhism School.. .the largest in Thailand. The Shrine and the Coves by the herbs market by the road.

More 40 minutes from Phayao...the White Temple and Chiang Rai. The city of the Arts, Krua Silapa Restaurant in Bandu, and the House of Tawan Datchanee at the Black Park, the Mae Fa Luang University... and Doi Tung, the beautiful King's Mother home and gardens....Amazing sites!

All on the way to Mae Sai and the Burma border with the Chinesse Market where everything is very cheap...but even more if you bargain hard....

This guy who makes the best pizza in Thailand called Muzarella......... wouldn't happen to be you would it Muzarella? gigglem.gif

Edited by anonymouse

The Win Hotel is a relatively new development...and the reviews look great. Maybe it will put pressure on the Gateway to lower its prices. Gateway has the Hollywood Club, you can bring your own bottle in for 50 THB....open pretty late, as well as another late night venue or two close to the lake. Win is about 550 including tax, and the Northern Lake is 400, but has really gone to shiite. It has become a true "Thai Hotel" where they are not putting one baht into it, and the land might be worth more without the hotel on it. That was keeping me away, but I may try Win, now. Gateway was too expensive. I like that area better, and that's where the superb street food is. The lake is nice and their are bars..but I'll say no thanks to the B & Bs and other places, where the tour busses stop. Well above average for strolling around at night as far as dogs and thugs. There is also a 300/500 house of ill repute near the Chinese Cemetery...I'm sure none of you all have ever paid for it.......

We looked at Phayao 8 years ago when we were considering a move from Bangkok. By accident we ran across a guy who worked for the Forestry Dept.

We got talking and he offered, at no charge or hassle, to show us some land he knew were coming up for sale. He made it clear he wasn't trying to sell,and kept his word,he just had a slack day.

We viewed some beautiful land,no fill required, with a gentle slope and already established fruit trees, it was ideal for our requirements and I think from memory around 400,000 baht a rai.

Cut along story short my wife and I discussed it next morning, had a good look around the town and decided that there was not the basic infrastructure that we needed at our time of life. there

were no supermarkets, 7/11 was about as close as you got but most importantly, talking to local foreigners, the hospital and medical facilities were distinctly inadequate, most took a

trip to CM. Now of course I see that Makro has arrived and more will follow and maybe in that time its become more liveable. If you have years on your side you could do a lot worse than Phayao

The Win Hotel is a relatively new development...and the reviews look great. Maybe it will put pressure on the Gateway to lower its prices. Gateway has the Hollywood Club, you can bring your own bottle in for 50 THB....open pretty late, as well as another late night venue or two close to the lake. Win is about 550 including tax, and the Northern Lake is 400, but has really gone to shiite. It has become a true "Thai Hotel" where they are not putting one baht into it, and the land might be worth more without the hotel on it. That was keeping me away, but I may try Win, now. Gateway was too expensive. I like that area better, and that's where the superb street food is. The lake is nice and their are bars..but I'll say no thanks to the B & Bs and other places, where the tour busses stop. Well above average for strolling around at night as far as dogs and thugs. There is also a 300/500 house of ill repute near the Chinese Cemetery...I'm sure none of you all have ever paid for it.......

The WIn Hotel is a tiny little place. I stayed there and it's nothing special at all. They may advertise rooms at 550 but it ends up being more like 800-900 as the low price is only a come on to get you over there. There may be one tiny room at that price... Just a tiny little basic hotel. I will say that they have a very well stocked bar with many imported liquors.

Phayao is quite a boring town. I've been through there 6 or 7 times over the last 8 years, just for one night. It has expanded some. The older hotels are O.K. There is one modern 2 story restaurant on the lakefront road; the name of which escapes me, but it's an excellent fish restaurant. We ordered quite a few things and with some good wine, got out of there for just under 2K Baht.

The town is well known by truckers passing through and there are many knocking shops in the sois behind the bust station. But the city has the highest rate of HIV of anywhere else in Thailand.

7 floors, 110 rooms....lock in your rate with agoda before you go.....others like to do things the hard way. Walk in rates are higher at nearly every hotel in Thailand, and the US, as well. It was just renovated....rated 7.7 on Agoda....Rooms are 24 square meters for the 550ish.

Edited by bangmai

7 floors, 110 rooms....lock in your rate with agoda before you go.....others like to do things the hard way. Walk in rates are higher at nearly every hotel in Thailand, and the US, as well. It was just renovated....rated 7.7 on Agoda....Rooms are 24 square meters for the 550ish.

I just checked it out on Agoda It is 552 baht for the 24 square meter room and 722 baht for the 36 sq. meter rooms. The two English reviews were good and the wife tells me the ones in Thai were good.

I see it has a gym of sorts.

How far is it from the bus station?

10 minute walk....and if you wait a day or two...agoda will offer the same room at 496 thb, and lately it seems like it is better to pay in USD, as they are giving a very good exchange rate, even if your CC company doesn't charge you a foreign transaction fee.

I just checked it out on Agoda It is 552 baht for the 24 square meter room and 722 baht for the 36 sq. meter rooms. The two English reviews were good and the wife tells me the ones in Thai were good.

I see it has a gym of sorts.

How far is it from the bus station?

You will need the 36 m2 room. Even that was tiny for the 3 of us. Bathrooms were large though. Gym? Must be new. Don't see where it would be. It's a tiny little place. Owner and family were very nice. As I recall, he takes care of the bar - or did.

110 rooms? They would have had to added a building. Was only late last year we stayed there.

Quiet for sure, and as others stated, good for eating the local farmed tilapia and gazing drunkenly at the lake. Unfortunatly the lake is full of the brain eating parasites that live in snails so no swimming. The flooded temple boat trip is the main attraction it seems.

Edited by daoyai