Ex-commerce minister out on Bt20m bail

Lite Beer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He deserves everything coming to him which incidentally might be a nice condo in Dubai or Paris...Depending on which red shirt criminal he would prefer to bunk with.

Was it really worth holding those voters in contempt Boonsong...

But he expected to get away with it Jamie, the amnesty bill was being prepared for just such people as him.

Had that gone through all corruption from 2005 to the time of the bill passing would have been forgiven, remember what the NACC said :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679702-thai-amnesty-bill-would-kill-25355-graft-cases-nacc/

Amnesty bill would kill 25,355 graft cases: NACC

There was comment in today's Bangkok Post that bidders are complaining now about the junta generals demanding too much commission for tenders on public projects. There are even some complaining the payments being asked now are higher than before. The only way to start again is amnesty for all, but sadly the UDD will never agree to that. For the record, the corruption levels in Bangkok have not changed much in the last 80 years, maybe a touch worse under the military than under civilian rule.

He deserves everything coming to him which incidentally might be a nice condo in Dubai or Paris...Depending on which red shirt criminal he would prefer to bunk with.

But he expected to get away with it Jamie, the amnesty bill was being prepared for just such people as him.

Had that gone through all corruption from 2005 to the time of the bill passing would have been forgiven, remember what the NACC said :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679702-thai-amnesty-bill-would-kill-25355-graft-cases-nacc/

There was comment in today's Bangkok Post that bidders are complaining now about the junta generals demanding too much commission for tenders on public projects. There are even some complaining the payments being asked now are higher than before. The only way to start again is amnesty for all, but sadly the UDD will never agree to that. For the record, the corruption levels in Bangkok have not changed much in the last 80 years, maybe a touch worse under the military than under civilian rule.

There is, in an article entitled "Cracks in the glass window" for anyone who wants to look.

(While you are not allowed to link or quote directly you are allowed to point to the article in question).

What you forgot to mention was the rider that : "Many people are ready to believe the rumors even though there is no proof" You are apparently one of those.

When there is proof please post it. Also proof that "corruption levels in Bangkok have not changed much in the last 80 years, maybe a touch worse under the military than under civilian rule."

There is, in an article entitled "Cracks in the glass window" for anyone who wants to look.

(While you are not allowed to link or quote directly you are allowed to point to the article in question).

What you forgot to mention was the rider that : "Many people are ready to believe the rumors even though there is no proof" You are apparently one of those.

When there is proof please post it. Also proof that "corruption levels in Bangkok have not changed much in the last 80 years, maybe a touch worse under the military than under civilian rule."

Mr Roby, The issues in the BP articles were quoted as complaints which is what I said. No one knows for sure how much corruption there is as it is almost always under the table

I am not 80 years old but close to it. I have been doing business in Thailand over a span of 30 years. 80 years is the span of the period in Thailand since constitutional monarchy arrived. During my 30 years and the anecdotes of others, I know of no one who thinks the corruption levels have changed much in the last 80 years. Corruption is sometimes stopped in one area and then re routed.In my remarks on corruption I reflect on how lucky I am to be from a country which has one of the world's lowest corruption rates and one of the fairest justice systems. I am currently based in rural Thailand and must say that the corruption I have personally had to deal with has only occurred in Bangkok which seems to be where it is centred. There has been some excellent research done by other members of TV detailing the corruption when Prayut's military unit had the monopoly on the gem trade with the Khmer Rouge. But the simple question you need to ask is how did an officer,who was not even a general, called Preecha Chanocha acquire assets of 90 million baht before his brother even made him a general. I think the greatest proof of the fact that corruption is on the same level as in the last 80 years is in learning the assets of millionaire military officers whose military pay would never amount to much even if they lived to 150 years. Some of the younger posters get a bit confused and think that corruption is all about the Shinawatras. But they arrived on the scene only recently and have ... surprise surprise... not been the greatest of offenders measured over the country's history.

"......amnesty for all, but sadly the UDD will never agree to that."

They seemed quite willing to accept amnesty for all when Thaksin/Yingluk proposed it. IIRC there was an abstention, but not one vote against from their MP members, who of course owe their position to the proposer.

Mr Roby, The issues in the BP articles were quoted as complaints which is what I said. No one knows for sure how much corruption there is as it is almost always under the table

I am not 80 years old but close to it. I have been doing business in Thailand over a span of 30 years. 80 years is the span of the period in Thailand since constitutional monarchy arrived. During my 30 years and the anecdotes of others, I know of no one who thinks the corruption levels have changed much in the last 80 years. Corruption is sometimes stopped in one area and then re routed.In my remarks on corruption I reflect on how lucky I am to be from a country which has one of the world's lowest corruption rates and one of the fairest justice systems. I am currently based in rural Thailand and must say that the corruption I have personally had to deal with has only occurred in Bangkok which seems to be where it is centred. There has been some excellent research done by other members of TV detailing the corruption when Prayut's military unit had the monopoly on the gem trade with the Khmer Rouge. But the simple question you need to ask is how did an officer,who was not even a general, called Preecha Chanocha acquire assets of 90 million baht before his brother even made him a general. I think the greatest proof of the fact that corruption is on the same level as in the last 80 years is in learning the assets of millionaire military officers whose military pay would never amount to much even if they lived to 150 years. Some of the younger posters get a bit confused and think that corruption is all about the Shinawatras. But they arrived on the scene only recently and have ... surprise surprise... not been the greatest of offenders measured over the country's history.

So should we be researching history to find someone more corrupt, or dealing with the most corrupt in recent history?

Robby nz, if you go to the topic on Thai Visa " Red shirt activist grateful France granted him political asylum". Look at post number 31 under the name of Hey Brucey, click on the link for " The Diplomat" article you will read about specific post coup corruption matters. It is unlikely these kind of articles can be read in Thailand often but this one seems to have slipped through

i am not a lawyer but the bail sum seems to fluctuate and make no sense,

Suthep 600K bail for his country shutdown

Sondhi Limthongkul gets 20 years in prison and dancing free with 200,000 bht bail

and the list goes on....

Another kick in the guts for the poor farmers who he and his mates were screwing, seeing them being able to put up tens of millions in bail while they, the poor farmers are struggling deep in debt.

That just shows your ignorance to the facts. Basically you have no clue about the scheme at all. The farmers lost out AFTER the coup when the banks where ordered to stop funding it. The scheme benefited the farmers tremendously. The internal corruption screwed the scheme and we are not talking about red shirts here. It failed because people in power who where against the scheme working made sure it would fail. ''Another kick in the guts for farmers hahaha'' clueless

I would call that blank lie. It was long before the coup that the government could not fund it anymore. They couldn't fund it because the couldn't sell the rice/the rice was rotten. There were lots of farmers who came to protest in Bangkok, partly separate, partly together with the PDRC. Several farmer suicide because they had debt, no money and no seeds for planting new rice. After the coup the military paid the farmers.

That the rice scheme won't work was clear from the beginning, but the amount of corruption and careless was not known for a long time.

the corruption level tripled under Thaksin. UDD always was for amnesty. It was the Democrats and the PAD who was against amnesty and I am sure it is the same now.

Baffled by the rule that he has to ask for permission to leave the country. Confiscate his passport / id documents and make sure he can't be settled in another country. Otherwise

what control do the courts have?

How can they make sure this guy cannot settle in another country? I guess every free country would give the man political asylum. Hes from Thailand.

the corruption level tripled under Thaksin. UDD always was for amnesty. It was the Democrats and the PAD who was against amnesty and I am sure it is the same now.

I don't think that's true, during Thaksin first stint as PM perceived corruption actually dropped, however in his second the honeymoon period was over and rather than corruption increasing it was just recognized and therefor an increase was noted, things like the 'honest mistake' confirm that.

However during the Thaksin proxy Govts it rose again and in particular during the Yingluck administration rose to a new unprecedented level, we are now seeing this being exposed, as per this topic.

Hence the need to include forgiveness of corruption in the amnesty bill which originally, before being altered in the committee stage, was only supposed to give amnesty to political prisoners.

Those who have followed this will know that the first reading of that bill was agreed to by all parties and passed..... Before the changes.

You can argue all you want about the pledging scheme but the fact remains that the multitude of rice farmers are no better off or worse of now than before the scheme.

Around here there are a huge number of rice farmers but many are growing other alternate crops than a second rice crop. The isn't enough water for many to grow rice twice.

A lot grow corn as a second crop with irrigation from dam water. Some have grown bor tu lung (spelling?). Some have left fields/paddies fallow. Not in the paddies but cassava, sunflower and sugar cane are also to be found around the district.

What happens in far away Grung Thep isn't as much a concern as the question "when will it rain?"...which it did last night. The wife and I will tour the orchard and paddies to see if it's been of benefit. I suspect not!

Reality here is without a lot of heavy rain we can do nothing but wait.

Pixs are from 2 days ago!

post-63954-0-30935100-1434238151_thumb.j

post-63954-0-39164900-1434238253_thumb.j

post-63954-0-84390200-1434238347_thumb.j

Edited by BSJ

My belief H90 is that the UDD totally opposed amnesty for Suthep, Abhisit et al for perceived crimes. That is in my view where a big problem lies, without amnesty the country of Thailand slips back to a very dark age filled with revenge. Some believe that only Thaksin is corrupt in Thailand and some believe only the military and police are corrupt. Both views are wrong. Corruption is embedded in Thai society. They are some of the nicest people in the world but that does not stop them being corrupt.

You can argue all you want about the pledging scheme but the fact remains that the multitude of rice farmers are no better off or worse of now than before the scheme.

Around here there are a huge number of rice farmers but many are growing other alternate crops than a second rice crop. The isn't enough water for many to grow rice twice.

A lot grow corn as a second crop with irrigation from dam water. Some have grown bor tu lung (spelling?). Some have left fields/paddies fallow. Not in the paddies but cassava, sunflower and sugar cane are also to be found around the district.

What happens in far away Grung Thep isn't as much a concern as the question "when will it rain?"...which it did last night. The wife and I will tour the orchard and paddies to see if it's been of benefit. I suspect not!

Reality here is without a lot of heavy rain we can do nothing but wait.

Pixs are from 2 days ago!

attachicon.gif008.jpg

attachicon.gif014.jpg

attachicon.gif031.jpg

We will all pray for rain, hope it helps you and your missus. Essential to have water as you point out.

My belief H90 is that the UDD totally opposed amnesty for Suthep, Abhisit et al for perceived crimes. That is in my view where a big problem lies, without amnesty the country of Thailand slips back to a very dark age filled with revenge. Some believe that only Thaksin is corrupt in Thailand and some believe only the military and police are corrupt. Both views are wrong. Corruption is embedded in Thai society. They are some of the nicest people in the world but that does not stop them being corrupt.

I'll balance your belief against their voting record - how many voted against it? The SUPPORTERS of UDD may be totally against it, but the mercenary mouthpieces jump to Thaksin's tune. IIRC there was ONE abstention, and he was putting his income level at serious risk.

IMHO no-one believes "only Thaksin is corrupt." Only apologists believe that is a reason not to prosecute him and his lackeys.

I'll balance your belief against their voting record - how many voted against it? The SUPPORTERS of UDD may be totally against it, but the mercenary mouthpieces jump to Thaksin's tune. IIRC there was ONE abstention, and he was putting his income level at serious risk.

IMHO no-one believes "only Thaksin is corrupt." Only apologists believe that is a reason not to prosecute him and his lackeys.

You can correct me if I am wrong Halloween but I understood no UDD member or official can vote in Thailand's parliament because they are not a political party but an organisation or movement which is opposed to amnesty for all. I happen to disagree with the UDD about this. The amnesty I refer to was the one proposed for Abhisit and Suthep which I would support.

I am also in a small rural city and in my 10 years here travelling around I have rarely seen any corruption at all, yes I know it exists but I have always been treated fairly other than a couple of occasions.

In talking of the military you are coming from a position that the generals started with nothing. I very much doubt that is true for most would have come from at least fairly well off, if not rich families.

You are making the assumption that their wealth came from either salary or corruption without taking into account any inheritance they may have such as family home or land the value of which is included in their wealth. Many also seem to get themselves on boards of various outfits for which they would get a generous salary and probably bonuses. The why and right or wrong of that is another topic.

There is also increase in wealth through reasonable if not good and prudent investments to be taken into account.

An example is the present PM whose father was I understand also a general who recently sold land that he had inherited from his father for, it was reported, over 600million. It was also reported that the PM was given a share of this as presumably was his brother.

Where there are solid grounds for accusations of corruption and proof, good lets get it out in the open and sorted but just to assume corruption because someone has money and spread rumor based on personal bias helps no one.

As for the Shins, of course they didn't invent corruption but unfortunately although they have had the chance they have done nothing to combat it and there is no doubt that in the term of the Yingluck Govt it increased.

The hope that what we are seeing being done now will decrease corruption although it will never be wiped out as it is not exclusive to Thailand but is worldwide in one form or another.

You can correct me if I am wrong Halloween but I understood no UDD member or official can vote in Thailand's parliament because they are not a political party but an organisation or movement which is opposed to amnesty for all. I happen to disagree with the UDD about this. The amnesty I refer to was the one proposed for Abhisit and Suthep which I would support.

You understand wrongly. Most of the UDD "leadership" are also PTP MPs, a position given them as a reward for their criminal actions in 2010 and to (successfully) delay prosecution. Those MPs could have expressed their opposition by a vote against the amnesty - none did.

Abhisit and Suthep have no desire or need for an amnesty for charges laid to encourage them to accept it. the claim that as members of the government they acted as private citizens is illogical and farcical.

if you have any information of the UDD as an organisation, I would be happy to see it. Stuff like membership lists, how you join, when are votes for positions taken, who gets to vote, funding. Until I see such, I will continue to believe it is a political facade, with Thaksin's mercenary propagandists making paid pronouncements "for the people".

As Halloween hasn't answered at this time I will.

There were UDD members (red leaders) in parliament. Whether true or not I have read that 26 red leaders were given jobs as MP's this included Arisman's (monkey on a rope) wife who was given the job in his place as he had run away. You have to subtract Jutaporn who was stupid enough to get himself thrown out.

There was only one, Weng, who abstained in the vote for the amnesty bill. This was probably a planned move to appease the rank and file and make it look like someone was still on their side.

Yes the reds were protesting against amnesty for Abhisit and Suthep, as were they. They didn't and still don't want amnesty for that would rob them of any chance to ever clear their names. The only way they can do that is to go through the court process and be found not guilty.

Rejecting amnesty for themselves shows their confidence in their innocence.

Can we say the same for those who wanted amnesty for themselves ?

Thank you Robby and Haloween for your opinions.

The Asian Correspondent, Oct 29th 2013, under the name of Saksith Saiyasombot and I quote " There is opposition coming from Pheu Thai's own supporter base, the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, who issued a statement voicing their disagreement with the draft re write since it could potentially acquit those responsible for the deadly crack down on the anti government protests in 2010"

There was enough publicity around at that time of this statement and the notes accompanying to corroborate that the author got it right.

I disagree with the UDD on this matter.

It is only when the various factions that make up Thailand can forgive and reconcile that the country can move forward instead of being in virtual lockdown since 1932.

i am not a lawyer but the bail sum seems to fluctuate and make no sense,

Suthep 600K bail for his country shutdown

Sondhi Limthongkul gets 20 years in prison and dancing free with 200,000 bht bail

and the list goes on....

Thaksin skipped his bail and the courts confiscated it.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2008/08/11/idINIndia-34944320080811

"The court responded by issuing arrest warrants for the couple and seizing 13 million baht ($385,000) in bail bonds, suggesting Thaksin and Potjaman may find it harder to recover more than $2 billion frozen in Thai banks since the coup."

Under the PTP government of his sister Yingluck The nearly $2 billion was returned to him.

And the list goes on. Suthep, Sondhi Abhisit are STILL in Thailand but Thaksin is not and will NOT return without a 100% guarantee that all his crimes past and present will be anulled and that he will get an amnesty and a Royal Pardon with everything restored to him.

Another kick in the guts for the poor farmers who he and his mates were screwing, seeing them being able to put up tens of millions in bail while they, the poor farmers are struggling deep in debt.

Hate to spoil your weekend...............

But according to UN, people living below the poverty line in Thailand was 21% in year 2000, in 2012 it was reduced to 12 %................

All under the evil and greedy Shins.................coffee1.gif

But how many policies did the 'shins' discuss, get through parliament, and implement, which made solid gains so that a large % of all Thai citizens have a much improved and sustainable quality of life from their own productivity? None!

Edited by scorecard

"....but Thaksin is not and will NOT return without a 100% guarantee that all his crimes past and present will be anulled and that he will get an amnesty and a Royal Pardon with everything restored to him. "

And they will be holding ice hockey matches in hell before that happens.

Hate to spoil your weekend...............

But according to UN, people living below the poverty line in Thailand was 21% in year 2000, in 2012 it was reduced to 12 %................

All under the evil and greedy Shins.................coffee1.gif

Interesting facts JOC.

I have lived in both the Thai Isaan and Thai Lanna regions. I like the rural Thai and often engage them in conversation. If you ask a rural Thai if he had a pick up truck, a tractor, a computer, a mobile phone, and a lot of other mod cons before year 2000 the answer is always no. But more importantly if one asks the same people did you go to hospital before 2000 they would answer never, " Do you go now " " Yes". I know I have had to queue up behind them. But the most important thing is that of all the people in the areas I lived, the adults are mainly illiterate. But I do not have to ask if their children are illiterate, some of them are already at university. All the above enrages the anti Shin brigade. But the anecdotal evidence seems to fit into the UN figures you quoted. It is likely that an educated rural population is going to be a real headache for Bangkok in the near future. Feudalism never works where the population is well educated.

The Asian Correspondent, Oct 29th 2013, under the name of Saksith Saiyasombot and I quote " There is opposition coming from Pheu Thai's own supporter base, the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, who issued a statement voicing their disagreement with the draft re write since it could potentially acquit those responsible for the deadly crack down on the anti government protests in 2010"

There was enough publicity around at that time of this statement and the notes accompanying to corroborate that the author got it right.

It is only when the various factions that make up Thailand can forgive and reconcile that the country can move forward instead of being in virtual lockdown since 1932.

I don't agree, the last thing Thailand needs is more terrorists and criminals and any law breakers , any color or flavor, being let off the hook.

If you really know Thailand (as you claim in another post) then surely you know that respect for the law and the process of the law is one of the main factors which is keeping Thailand back. It's not rocket science.

Do the crime, whatever color or status group that you belong to, do the time.

More 'mai phen rai' is not going to take Thailand forward.

Those are not opinions they are facts.

And I see you sort of agree with them but still want to continue defending the indefensible.

So you believe the charges against the Ex commerce minister should just be dropped and forgotten about, no problem just let him keep his ill gotten gains. Same with all the other corruption so the corrupt can be reconciled and happy.

How does that work with the victims of corruption, in this case the taxpayer and their children who will be paying for the money borrowed to fund this scheme for many years.

Will they be happy to pay so the corrupt can get away with their crime and be happy ?

No way. Go after the corrupt prove them guilty in court then after jailing them for a very long time, strip them of their assets right down to their underwear to get as much back for the country and the people as possible.