Phuket tour guide has permit suspended

Lite Beer

Phuket tour guide has permit suspended
Eakkapop Thongtub

1434169669_1-org.jpg

One of the photos popsted on Dr Thon's Facebook page.

PHUKET: A Thai tour guide working from Phuket yesterday (June 12) had his permit temporarily suspended after it came to light that he had allowed tourists to feed bread to and hold cartoon fish for photos.

Yesterday, Tourism and Sport Chief, Santi Pawai and Tourist police Deputy Inspector; Capt Eakkachai Siri led a team of officials to Koh Khai in Phang Nga to investigate controversial pictures of Chinese tourists grabbing marine animals which were posted on a Dr Thon’s Facebook page.

The photos showed the tourists using bread to feed and lure the fish into a piece of net. Once in the net the tourists then grabbed the fish and had their photo taken whilst holding them.

Associate Dean of the Fisheries Department at Kasetsart University, Dr Thon Thamrongsawat posted several pictures on his Facebook page which fuelled many comments agreeing that such act is inappropriate and that the tourists are destroying the Koh Khai marine eco system.

Tour companies and guides have now been informed of the photos circulating on social media and officials have handed out a list of do’s and don'ts them. They have also explained to them that they must watch and inform tourists not to hold fish or any marine animals.

The companies and guides have also been told that if they neglect their duty they will be punished according to tourism laws.

Santi Pawai revealed that while walking through Koh Khai to investigate the incident, officials saw a group of Chinese tourists playing on the beach while their tour guide was waiting on a boat.

"The Chinese tourists were throwing pieces of bread into the sea and lured cartoon fish into a plastic bag. Their guide, who was sitting on a boat, completely ignored this activity," said Mr Santi.

Officials intervened in the tourist’s activity and explained to them that by doing as they do they are damaging the marine eco system and demanded they stop playing and catching the fish.

Mr Santi then approached the tour guide and informed him that while he is on duty he must not neglect his tour group. He also seized the tour guide’s work permit.

“His work permit as a tour guide will be temporary suspended due to his negligence, he has broken the 2008 tourism law," said Mr Santi.

Mr Santi added that the Tourism and Sport Registrar Office plans to have a training seminar for tour guides that will discuss topics concerning marine natural resources preservation and eco friendly marine tourism.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tour-guide-has-permit-suspended-52764.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-13

There might be a little more to worry about than people touching a fish, considering the "50 tonnes" gigglem.gif of garbage entering the ocean waters in Thailand each year.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/50-tonnes-of-thai-garbage-flows-into-sea-every-year/95527/

So? Does that means they should let everything else go?

This is becoming a major problem at many coral reefs: the tourists feeding bread to the fish means the fish are not reliant on getting their food on the reefs anymore, slowly slowly increasing the amount of algae on the reefs and smothering the reefs.

There might be a little more to worry about than people touching a fish, considering the "50 tonnes" gigglem.gif of garbage entering the ocean waters in Thailand each year.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/50-tonnes-of-thai-garbage-flows-into-sea-every-year/95527/

This is becoming a major problem at many coral reefs: the tourists feeding bread to the fish means the fish are not reliant on getting their food on the reefs anymore, slowly slowly increasing the amount of algae on the reefs and smothering the reefs.

Yes, it is problematic on the reefs. I have dived the Great Barrier and the Similan area, I have seen the destruction of the reefs.

I would say that the amount of garbage being introduced into the water is a heck of a lot more significant than the feeding of bread to the fish. Of course you can cite your reference for your assertion that the feeding of said fish is affecting the reefs.

Yes, it is problematic on the reefs. I have dived the Great Barrier and the Similan area, I have seen the destruction of the reefs.

I would say that the amount of garbage being introduced into the water is a heck of a lot more significant than the feeding of bread to the fish. Of course you can cite your reference for your assertion that the feeding of said fish is affecting the reefs.

I would also presume garbage is very significant, did I say otherwise?

Does a (potentially) bigger violation mean the smaller violation should be left unpunished and allowed to continue?

BTW, if you don't dive a certain divesite very regularly you can't see the effect of (amongst others) vast amounts of tourists and fish feeding.

Edited by stevenl

" ... and that the tourists are destroying the Koh Khai marine eco system."

Ahhhmmm was the Tour Guide not thai and was it not MOTS Popcorn that called these Savages quality tourists..... ??? but its never thais fault is it ... You made the bed, now lie in it clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Don\t worry, that will be taken care of by the present government.

If you had colon cancer, and an ingrown toenail, which would be more demanding of your attention?

(And don't fib by saying "both.")

If you had colon cancer, and an ingrown toenail, which would be more demanding of your attention?

(And don't fib by saying "both.")

Depends where I am. If I'm at my local clinic I'd have them have a look at the toenail. Now of course you also want toe cancer to be treated.

If officers on a regular check come up to illegal action, they have to act. And it looks like finally they bare doing that. Now of course they also have to go after the big polluters.

The big problems have to be solved, but that does not mean ignoring the small problems.

Edited by stevenl