UEFA EURO 2016

SantiSuk

Congratulations to Wales beating the second-ranked nation last night to provide themselves with a decent chance to get to the Euro finals next year. I'll love it the more that British Isles nations can get in on the act.

I also loved the story on UK breakfast TV this morning about the minibus load of Belgian fans who plugged "Wales" into their GPS and ended up in an eponymously appropriate village in South Yorkshire. I loved the story, because I still mostly use and enjoy maps. Regrettably we are breeding a new world of people who have no clue about their geographical positioning in this world, destroying an intuition that has resided in the DNA of man kind (not women kindsmile.png ) that goes back to Neolythic times when men had to know where to go to hunt for food; so Desmond Morris says (/said - is he dead?)

Luckily and happily (since I hold no truck against Belgians) they had time to get themselves the additional 200 miles down to Cardiff in time for kick off

And back to the football. I came across the France v Belgium friendly on True in an idle moment waiting for a UK flight at my Bangkok condo a couple of nights ago. Belgium beat France (largely due to some pretty pi$$ poor performances from a couple of Arsenal froggy players it has to be said), but I could not help questioning how Belgium had got to number 2 in the world, notwithstanding some good/some great (Hazard) individual players. What is it with these international rankings - can't help recalling the even more laughable ranking of England at number four only a few (three?) short years ago.

Must be a FIFA thing; perhaps countries can operate on a pay-per-rank basis. Someone should investigate - international rankings are bringing the beautiful game into disrepute!

• 2 months later...

Well done to Looney for getting the goals scored record and to England for qualifying in the previous match (from probably the easiest group of all time, once it became apparent that Switzerland had faded badly from their form of 5-10 years ago).

Sad commentary that on a forum that is stuffed mostly with English football lovers that noone really cares. Me? I watched the Iraq v Thai match and probably would still have done so if the matches were both on telly consecutively!

Sad commentary that on a forum that is stuffed mostly with English football lovers that noone really cares. Me? I watched the Iraq v Thai match and probably would still have done so if the matches were both on telly consecutively!

I watched the match and have watched all the qualifiers. I just don't think there is much to write or get excited about.

for me spain has impressed,but last nights[morn.2am] sweden against austria was the best so far,played in sweden the score after 90min.0-4 sweden did get a goal in stopage time. austria were mighty impressive both in defence and attack and it could have been more.

so thats one team you dont want in your group.

swedens worst defeat at home in over 20yrs.

• 5 weeks later...

republic of irl.beat germany 1-0,to put them on the verge of qualifying along with northern isl.

how the germans didnt score at least 3 must be some sought of intervention from above.

the germans had around 70% of play.

tomorrow night its wales toooooooooooooooo qualify.

Edited by meatboy

Yes I can hardly believe it myself. We need more heavenly inspiration next Sunday in Warsaw for automatic qualification. From what I read today we have a chance of being the best 3rd place team so one way or the other here's hoping.

"I also loved the story on UK breakfast TV this morning about the minibus load of Belgian fans who plugged "Wales" into their GPS and ended up in an eponymously appropriate village in South Yorkshire. I loved the story, because I still mostly use and enjoy maps". If that's true that's brilliant.

Bloody google maps eh! Can't tell you how many times Google maps have let me down. One time recently we left Loie on the way to Erawan Cave in Nongbualamphu. It took us by the back roads. Suddenly in the middle of absolutely no where it said "you've arrived at your destination". We then had to stop and ask the locals, the old fashioned way!

Sorry I digressed, back to the football topic.

England, 9 games, 9 wins, 27 points. (touch wood)...

As I recall it was that long ago that people were calling for Roy's head on the block...

Well done England.post-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gif (so far)

Hoping for a clean sheet tomorrow, possibly a hat trick from Rooney, then partytime2.gifburp.gif

Dun be daft, all that will happen is that the English press will go ballistic and get everyone believing they can win it, then they'll go out at the group stage.

biggrin.png

I would have to agree but think from previous experience it will be the knockout stage where we stumble,not the group stage.

England, 9 games, 9 wins, 27 points. (touch wood)...

As I recall it was that long ago that people were calling for Roy's head on the block...

Well done England.post-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gif (so far)

Hoping for a clean sheet tomorrow, possibly a hat trick from Rooney, then partytime2.gifburp.gif

[snipped] Rooney isn't even in the squad [snipped]

[snipped]

Edited by mrbojangles
snipped

Even in a group of teams from countries with a population the size of Meuang Chiang Mai it's a reasonable achievement for Roy to get a 100% record using a bunch of second stringers* and newbies in an effort to rebuild. Sound base for the future, but probably for a future beyond 2016. So many have been tried it's difficult to see what is the shape of his ideal team for the likes of Germany and Spain. Not entirely his fault though - English players seem to go down like flies in the Prem. I could sense a pretty strong team, particularly in midfield (if all were to be fit).

Any takers for the ideal England team if no injuries. Without too much thought and probably forgetting one or two contenders I would be aiming for:

Hart

Clyne, Smalling, Stones, Shaw

Wilshere

Walcott, Rooney, Sterling

Kane, Sturridge

I'm sure several of those will attract brickbats (let's have your alternatives, not just vitriol) and several picks are based on fitness and form that I would expect rather than what is currently evident (Rooney). I would be tempted to develop Butland who is looking like one of our few world class prospects, but Hart is excellent at the moment. For real heavyweight games I'd have to rethink the right side - Walcott is not a good back-tracker.

I could see that lot getting to the quarter-finals, which is probably all we should expect from a youngish team with an eye for at least that in the World Cup '18

*both the Arsenal reps last night are benchers 75% of the time in the Prem

Edited by SantiSuk

Even in a group of teams from countries with a population the size of Meuang Chiang Mai it's a reasonable achievement for Roy to get a 100% record using a bunch of second stringers* and newbies in an effort to rebuild. Sound base for the future, but probably for a future beyond 2016. So many have been tried it's difficult to see what is the shape of his ideal team for the likes of Germany and Spain. Not entirely his fault though - English players seem to go down like flies in the Prem. I could sense a pretty strong team, particularly in midfield (if all were to be fit).

Any takers for the ideal England team if no injuries. Without too much thought and probably forgetting one or two contenders I would be aiming for:

Hart

Clyne, Smalling, Stones, Shaw

Wilshere

Walcott, Rooney, Sterling

Kane, Sturridge

I'm sure several of those will attract brickbats (let's have your alternatives, not just vitriol) and several picks are based on fitness and form that I would expect rather than what is currently evident (Rooney). I would be tempted to develop Butland who is looking like one of our few world class prospects, but Hart is excellent at the moment. For real heavyweight games I'd have to rethink the right side - Walcott is not a good back-tracker.

I could see that lot getting to the quarter-finals, which is probably all we should expect from a youngish team with an eye for at least that in the World Cup '18

*both the Arsenal reps last night are benchers 75% of the time in the Prem

i think when attempting to win a major international tournament it's traditional to have a midfield. you've got 5 forwards backed by an injury-prone whopper. any half-decent team would murder that setup.

Let's not get into name calling eh chaps. At least till he becomes a regular and understands your wit tongue.png

Wilai, wit ??? Please explain.

Nice to hear from you again Poodlesclap2.gif

As for Basil B***oon, with nearly 6,500 posts already, I'm sure he's been called worse...if that was typical of the standard of the rest of thembah.gif

Let's not get into name calling eh chaps. At least till he becomes a regular and understands your wit tongue.png

Best you just close this thread before it gets out of hand mate. whistling.gif

Sorry smokes, it's still got about 9 months to run. But it's mandatory for you to partake as there's nothing of interest for you in here tongue.png

Well that's Holland out. Never even made it to the 3rd place play off's

just talking with a dutch mate about that, he's not surprised at all. you've got an aged robben, sneijder and van persie and beyond that not a lot of quality really. too little top flight knowhow. it's pretty amazing when you compare the current holland squad with those of the past.

just talking with a dutch mate about that, he's not surprised at all. you've got an aged robben, sneijder and van persie and beyond that not a lot of quality really. too little top flight knowhow. it's pretty amazing when you compare the current holland squad with those of the past.

Age might have something to do with it stevie but only a year ago they were WC semi finalists. This wasn't exactly a group of death and with RvP 32, Sneijder 31, Robben 31 that should have been enough to at least got 3rd place.

Age might have something to do with it stevie but only a year ago they were WC semi finalists. This wasn't exactly a group of death and with RvP 32, Sneijder 31, Robben 31 that should have been enough to at least got 3rd place.

WALES ARE THROUGH YOU KNOW.

TAFF.

Best you just close this thread before it gets out of hand mate. whistling.gif

Sorry smokes, it's still got about 9 months to run. But it's mandatory for you to partake as there's nothing of interest for you in here tongue.png

Ah yes...you know I love to partake! ;)

Robben is injured since a long time anyway...... he could have been the man.... Van Persie - overrated. Nevermind. those orange shirts they all wear are an eyesore anyway ;-)