Bangkok taxi driver returns 41,000 baht to Indian passenger

webfact

BKK Taxi Driver Returns 41,000 Baht to Indian Passenger
By Kahaosod English

14342726461434272740l.jpg
Taxi driver Surasih Butaraprom ( R ) returns money and other belongings to Ankur Gumber at FM 91, 13 June 2015.

BANGKOK – A Bangkok taxi driver teamed up with a local radio station to return 41,000 baht and a passport to an Indian man who left the belongings behind in his taxi on Friday.

The driver, 43-year-old Surasih Butaraprom, contacted FM 91, a radio station that covers traffic and helps coordinate lost-and-found efforts among taxi drivers, after he discovered the Indian man had left behind one bag in his car.

"I was very unhappy. I was worried for him and his family," said Surasih, who has been working as a cab driver for 16 years.

The radio station then contacted the hotel where Ankur Gumber and his family were staying, and managed to return the bag, said Jaiton Sriwangpol, an operator of FM 91.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434272646&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-15

And Surasih was rewarded for his honesty with some money.....

Bt20...Bt50...Bt100.......

I would like to think that the Indian gave a sizable reward, but i doubt that happened .......coffee1.gif

If it is the same Indian reported on a Thai social media site yesterday according to my gf the taxi driver was given a $100 - but apparently he was also carrying more than just baht so maybe a different one.......

Why the Publicity before return of property, why didn't he just go back to Hotel, ( that's if he dropped his family at Hotel) Or How did Hotel find him? Indian guy seems like he would take care of driver, business man , well fed...

Numerous TV members being racists and consistently make racists remarks on TV, in particular against the Thais are stumped here as they cannot bash the Taxi Driver. Therefore, some have resorted to making derogatory remarks against the Indian guy. Scum of the world these contributors aren't they!

Gosh, it's been at least 2 months since the last honest taxi driver (quite incredibly) returned a large sum of money to a passenger who (quite incredibly) left such a stash in his taxi.

TAT obviously toned down the feel-good stories after reading all the scepticism in TV.

This is a beautiful story about Thai culture... all the people that blow up social media with the occasional bad taxi-driver story should do some soul searching and insure they forward this story to their mybooks, tweeters and facespaces as well.

Well done driver.

Taxi driver returns Bt50,000 cash, valuables to Indian tourists

Bangkok:- A taxi driver was awarded US$100 after he returned a bag with cash and valuables worth more than Bt50,000 to its owner.

The taxi driver, Surasi Butrprom, 43, left the bag with the Sor Wor Por FM91 radio station to look for its owner on Saturday after he spotted the bag left under the front passenger seat at 9 am on Saturday.

The radio station contacted the owner, Ankur Gumber, 31, to come to meet the driver at the station at noon Sunday to get the bag and valuables back. Gumber gave Surasi US$100 as a reward.

The bag contained three plane tickets, three passports, Bt13,500 in cash, 9 US$100 banknotes, 428 yuan in cash, 2,730 rupee in cash and an iPad tablet computer.

post-87022-0-88009700-1434329856_thumb.j
[Photo credit: Thairath]

Surasi recounted that he took an Indian couple and their son from the Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Lebua Silom Hotel at 10 pm Friday. He said he and hotel bellboys checked the taxi thoroughly and did not find that the family forgot anything in his taxi so he left.

Surasi said he picked up two more foreign tourists to Rajdamri before he returned home to Pathum Thani to rest.

He said he got up at 9 am Saturday and cleaned the taxi and found the bag under the front passenger's seat so he contacted the radio station to help locate the owner.

“I'm very happy to return it to the owner. I don't want others people's things,” Surasi said.

Gumber said he was impressed in the good deed of the taxi driver. Without his help, his family would have been in trouble, he added.

tvn.png
-- 2015-06-15

Why the Publicity before return of property, why didn't he just go back to Hotel, ( that's if he dropped his family at Hotel) Or How did Hotel find him? Indian guy seems like he would take care of driver, business man , well fed...

. Well I guess that goes to show u can't judge the Cheap P¥£%#? Just to Deal with 3 Passports, would be Hell... Edited by Dannyboy666

DD,

Don't see how this is a reflection of Thai culture...One honest guy is a polluted sea of many...

Now if the incidence rate of inflated restaurant bills, gas pump workers who short change you, thieves stealing doors and windows off my sala, paying workers to stay overnight so drying rice isn't stolen, the travel agent who said her credit card machine is broken so she could scam 2000B for herself, the insect farm clerk trying to charge us 5x times the ticket rate by hiding the sign, etc

Lets not extrapolate one incident to an honest culture...

Gosh, it's been at least 2 months since the last honest taxi driver (quite incredibly) returned a large sum of money to a passenger who (quite incredibly) left such a stash in his taxi.

TAT obviously toned down the feel-good stories after reading all the scepticism in TV.

I have not seen postings from people saying that they left large quantities of money and it never came back.

Two years ago a Bangkok taxi driver returned all my world portable posessions worth over 100k baht, plus the removal of endless potential hassle in replacing cards.licences .....

.... your pathetic cynicism gets a great big BOLLUX from me!