4TH JULY CELEBRATION

jarhead50200

I'd love to see a big free and/or cheap event. Maybe some of the people here can come up with ways to fund such an event.

It's held at a restaurant.. let people order off the menu. I think River Market did that a couple years ago? (They must have because I was there.. smile.png )

A band.. most pub/restaurants manage that. Fireworks clearly is an additional expense; but on a typical attendance may be possible, I don't know.

Yes, a few years ago they tried what you proposed -- order off the menu, fireworks, band and minimal security. The place was pretty wide open. No ticket sales.

As a result, people came, sat in the chairs and ordered nothing. Even drank the free water. Lots of them.

Apparently those same people are now posting on this thread.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see a big free and/or cheap event. Maybe some of the people here can come up with ways to fund such an event.

It's held at a restaurant.. let people order off the menu. I think River Market did that a couple years ago? (They must have because I was there.. smile.png )

A band.. most pub/restaurants manage that. Fireworks clearly is an additional expense; but on a typical attendance may be possible, I don't know.

Yes, a few years ago they tried what you proposed -- order off the menu, fireworks, band and minimal security. The place was pretty wide open. No ticket sales.

As a result, people came, sat in the chairs and ordered nothing. Even drank the free water. Lots of them.

Strange.. that's so unlike Americans. I'll take your word for it though.

Was that really a significant number of people though?? It seems as a restaurant you always have a little of that; I think the place was still very newly opened at the time, I'd like to think that at this point in time they'd have enough staff to take orders, or ask people to move on.

It's a good point though, I hadn't considered that; you'd get a lot of people just ordering a chang beer and hanging around. If you can fill a place with higher paying customers then you go for it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

How about the thread starter having this thread closed. We appreciate his announcement. Thank you. Amen.

Yes it has run it's course. In fact gotten out of hand. I said nothing about it yet got a not so nice e mail about it from the OP.

Hope to meet some of you there. Dave thank you for hosting the affair. Seems like no one else in Chiang Mai is willing to. They probably see all the negativity being dumped on you and say no way.

Strange.. that's so unlike Americans. I'll take your word for it though.

Was that really a significant number of people though?? It seems as a restaurant you always have a little of that; I think the place was still very newly opened at the time, I'd like to think that at this point in time they'd have enough staff to take orders, or ask people to move on.

It's a good point though, I hadn't considered that; you'd get a lot of people just ordering a chang beer and hanging around. If you can fill a place with higher paying customers then you go for it.

I was at the first one. The place was packed. You ordered off the menu and the prices were the same. I know it cost 50,000 baht for the fireworks that came out of Dave's pocket. I left before the fireworks as I had been invited to a private party close by where we could see the fire works better. Never the less there was seats occupied all night by the same people. Normally in a restaurant you can expect a seat to be open for more than one person. I am defiantly looking forward to it this year.

I'm at River Market right now and asked about the menu to check on the question of whether there will be Thai food on the menu for the July 4th party. I think there is value to keeping this thread open for questions like that if people can keep it civil.

For those concerned about the 1200 baht simply put 100 baht a month in special place and wow in 12 months you have the price of admission. Give up a pack or 2 of cigarettes or a couple of drinks at the local bar a month and save even more towards the price of admission.....

Complaining that Dave is going to make money is ridiculous - of course he is going to make money he runs a business. How else can he afford to stay business?!?!

Keep up the good work Dave. I have enjoyed all my 4th of July's at the River Market.

OK, according to Khun Pin, Dave's wife and partner extraordinaire there will definitely be Thai food on the menu for the July 4th party. She knows some of the family members are Thai and want to eat Thai food.

Crikey you gotta keep this thread going as it might rival The Great 2010 4th of July Celebration brouhaha. Nah, forget about it nothing will beat that.

Belay that. I forgot about the post mortem. There has got to be a post mortem. Stay tuned.

may i ask very politely . what brand etc etc are these amercian craft beer botts?

which will enable myself to decide whether to attend or not, many thks in advancebiggrin.png

a lovely evening to allsmile.png

had a very small group in mind (4) who will be visiting c/mai over 4 july ,but since my last post they have decided that the four seasons resort ( mae rim) sunday lunch buffett for a paltry 1000 baht extra

is the place for them, being a patron at the four seasons sunday buffett for many yrs, their decision, is a very good call, arguably the best sunday lunch time buffett in c/mai

therefore please ignore my above request,and sincerely wish a happy 4TH OF JULY to allsmile.png

I think perhaps the British should organise a 4th July celebration as the day they got shot of the Americans :-)

"And yes all of us Americans remember we whipped the British"...........................................Thanks to the French!

I think perhaps the British should organise a 4th July celebration as the day they got shot of the Americans :-)

"And yes all of us Americans remember we whipped the British"...........................................Thanks to the French!

And in reparation for that dastardly deed all Americans in CM should weigh in and shout the Poms a free lunch at River Market (don't forget the warm beer) putting to rest all animosity that rears its ugly head every time one of Her Majesty's subjects hear the words USA.

may i ask very politely . what brand etc etc are these amercian craft beer botts?

which will enable myself to decide whether to attend or not, many thks in advancebiggrin.png

a lovely evening to allsmile.png

had a very small group in mind (4) who will be visiting c/mai over 4 july ,but since my last post they have decided that the four seasons resort ( mae rim) sunday lunch buffett for a paltry 1000 baht extra

is the place for them, being a patron at the four seasons sunday buffett for many yrs, their decision, is a very good call, arguably the best sunday lunch time buffett in c/mai

therefore please ignore my above request,and sincerely wish a happy 4TH OF JULY to allsmile.png

Evenstevens -- could I suggest that you treat your friends to both events -- Saturday at River Market's Fourth of July party and Sunday at the Four Seasons Resort Sunday Brunch Buffet. It should be an interest compare/contrast experience for them. A match-up of two cultures and a good example of the expat melting pot in Chiang Mai. Oh no wait, you should probably start Saturday with a visit to one of those cheap beer bar places on Loi Kroh with the 50 year old girls -- have a round or two of beer, 3 large Chang @ 120 baht before moving down to River Market. Then, they'll really have a well-rounded weekend in Chiang Mai.

I'd like to see a carnival water dunk set-up to amuse the folks, generate funds and de-fuse the hate. We can imagine, oh let's say, Nancy, sitting on the tiny stool above the tank of water. For only 100 baht per ball, one can throw the ball and if the bulls-eye hit directly, the stool collapses and Nancy suddenly swims. Good laffs for all and if a hot day, all invited to sit on the stool. Kids pay much smaller fee.

Also, i could recommend a hand-crank ice cream making set-up. A good size tub with all the gearing, some cream, sugar, ice, rock salt, flavors and start cranking. Under the shade tree of course. Only those paying to crank, 100 baht per 5 minutes, permitted to enjoy the finished product. Early on the women can crank, later only the machos will be able. Burn some calories and have some fun. The inventive guys could rig up a bicycle device to permit kids/ladies to work the paddle gearing.

I'd like to see a carnival water dunk set-up to amuse the folks, generate funds and de-fuse the hate. We can imagine, oh let's say, Nancy, sitting on the tiny stool above the tank of water. For only 100 baht per ball, one can throw the ball and if the bulls-eye hit directly, the stool collapses and Nancy suddenly swims.

Nancy and Jingthing. The Thai Visa Poster of the Year and first runner up.

I'd like to see a carnival water dunk set-up to amuse the folks, generate funds and de-fuse the hate. We can imagine, oh let's say, Nancy, sitting on the tiny stool above the tank of water. For only 100 baht per ball, one can throw the ball and if the bulls-eye hit directly, the stool collapses and Nancy suddenly swims. Good laffs for all and if a hot day, all invited to sit on the stool. Kids pay much smaller fee.

Also, i could recommend a hand-crank ice cream making set-up. A good size tub with all the gearing, some cream, sugar, ice, rock salt, flavors and start cranking. Under the shade tree of course. Only those paying to crank, 100 baht per 5 minutes, permitted to enjoy the finished product. Early on the women can crank, later only the machos will be able. Burn some calories and have some fun. The inventive guys could rig up a bicycle device to permit kids/ladies to work the paddle gearing.

Does Nancy come from Salem?

I'd like to see a carnival water dunk set-up to amuse the folks, generate funds and de-fuse the hate. We can imagine, oh let's say, Nancy, sitting on the tiny stool above the tank of water. For only 100 baht per ball, one can throw the ball and if the bulls-eye hit directly, the stool collapses and Nancy suddenly swims.

Nancy and Jingthing. Thai Visa Poster of the Year and first runner up. partytime2.gifpartytime2.gif

That is an excellent set of ideas. If Dave was on the spot I would buy three balls just to be sure I got him. I like Dave. It would all be in the spirit of fun. Also have a clown there. If this was not an anonymous thread I would also volunteer to risk a swim. I Would like to volunteer Ulysses G. Every one knows who he is.

Maybe Dave will file these ideas away for next year.

Yes, I think a dunk tank would be great fun, although the charge should be much more than 100 baht per throw for the big celebrities, with the funds going to charity, of course.

I've asked around about the existence of such dunk tanks (for rental) among my Thai friends and no one seems to know about them and when the concept is explained, they're absolutely horrified at the concept that people would pay money to publicly embarrass community leaders, bosses, etc AND that higher status people would agree to do such a thing with good spirits.

Has anyone seen them at events with bouncy castles and other rental party equipment?

Yes, I think a dunk tank would be great fun, although the charge should be much more than 100 baht per throw for the big celebrities, with the funds going to charity, of course.

I've asked around about the existence of such dunk tanks (for rental) among my Thai friends and no one seems to know about them and when the concept is explained, they're absolutely horrified at the concept that people would pay money to publicly embarrass community leaders, bosses, etc AND that higher status people would agree to do such a thing with good spirits.

Has anyone seen them at events with bouncy castles and other rental party equipment?

The Thai owner of John's Place bar - Somchai - had one set up for many months to dunk the bar-girls and his midgets that worked the door. I think he even manned the thing himself every once in a while. That was quite a while ago, but someone might ask him if he still has it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The Thai owner of John's Place bar - Somchai - had one set up for many months to dunk the bar-girls and his midgets that worked the door. I think he even manned the thing himself every once in a while. That was quite a while ago, but someone might ask him if he still has it.

It for a dunk tank....not a drunk tank. smile.png

re

like this one in bangkok .. yaaayyy ... go nancy :)

just joshin ... dave2

post-42592-0-64075500-1434776397_thumb.j

Holidays are for Amateurs and/or weekend warriors. I went to the "free party" at the Consulate in 2008, and it was total wankerville. They even let a truly Democrat organization register voters as they left, and I lit a cigar, and you would have thought I defecated in public. The missionaries and their fat kids were out in droves. I love to party, only on my terms though. Explaining to people what a cold beer is makes me feel like I should be a paid consultant. Perfectly good refrigerator in the condo......

of course it would have been O.K. with you if some uptight, warmongering Republicans were registering voters on the way out...

It is not suppose to be political, and I can guarantee you it is against Department of State policy.

Edited by bangmai