4TH JULY CELEBRATION

jarhead50200

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why VFW discount and not DAV? Anyone know?

The local VFW organization is a sponsoring organization. There isn't a local DAV organization and they aren't one of the sponsors of the party. It's a two way street for the sponsoring organizations. They're contributing to the success of the party in exchange for their members getting a discount.

This is a forum for members to post so if anyone doesn’t want replies they should advertise on mediums such as print media or blaring from loudspeakers on trucks where they’ll not be able to hear the comments.

My responses to comments directed at me:

jarhead:

“dam, with your knowledge you could put everyone out of business, i cant wait to come to your event, can i sit in the vip section????”

That is your reply my posting concluding with “I feel that community on the whole wanted to spend the day celebrating together (not make it a business rivalry) so it is a shame that it's not really possible for many families anymore to attend, that's more the point.”

Did you not see that I said “not make a business rivalry”?? Anyway I am not in business here, have any interest to nor have I ever suggested I want to be.

northern john:

“With your background in the industry and economics does it not make a difference when you give a 1,000 baht seat away for nothing?”

If in fact there is limited seating a 3 yr old can share a seat with a parent if their discount stipulates but as there is a large garden area it probably won't be necessary.

“With all due respect where are these other events. I may be wrong but if they are put on by a business would not making money be there first concern before making it a family affair.”

Since the hosts states “I might get tired of subsidizing this event “ according to him it’s not a venture for making money so no that is not.

Also it is advertised as “A destination for friends and family to get together and share”.

theDukes:

Along with what I already mentioned.

“Do the math here”

Don’t have to do the math as others have already pointed out some of the flaws in your arithmetic such as costs should be figured in real costs.

For example, evenstevens asked (which you didn’t answer) “god stone the crows, 2 amercian craft beers at 200 baht a pop, say it is your wholesale price , as it is in your costs breakdown”

As for the service fee, I figure it was 30,000 bht so without even knowing how many staff or if it’s in addition to the wages, that’s extremely generous.

Security 15,0000 bht, not disputing the figure but would be interested to know how it breaks down too.

northernjohn mentions me in this post “Or better still don't attack the host because he is going to make a profit. Ask JC he is an expert in the field how much is a fair profit and how much will Dave make after all the freebees.”

As for fair profit it all depends on what your goal is, maximize profits or do something to support your home away from home local community and customers? I’d like to point out that previously Dave said “I'd love to not lose money for 1 year” so the answer might be he will be making nothing. As for “after all the freebies” that adults are paying 1200 bht ea. (the Free dictionary by Farlex on the internet (see what I did there smile.png ) defines Freebie as “something provided without charge”)

I do want to conclude that I did enjoy the 4th of July party I went to at The River Market (even it I’m not exactly sure what year it was) and planned on coming again to this years.

My OP in this thread (post #4)

“Anybody know if they are charging for very young kids, kindergarten age?” which I was referring to my just turned 3 yrs. old kindergarten boy was just a simple question that I thought not only of myself but other’s might be interested in knowing.

Appleton: As the flyer on the first page states, kids' tickets are 1/2 price.

Yes but it doesn’t say what is considered a kid, would a mother with twin 3 mnt olds pay 1200 for them alone?

Maybe even more parents would attend if they knew too depending on the answer. Meant to be harmless, wasn’t any reflection on the ticket price or implication that it was too expensive for what was listed on the ad you get for it.

My Mother taught me “It never hurts to ask”.

After reading this crap for numerous days, and yes thank you for all the experts, complainers and whiners I have only concluded that you have a sense of entitlement and ego's that no one satisfy, and all you great talkers what are you doing, yes. I see you still just talking and not doing nothing, that is why a lot of good folks think that this forum is for the secluded and frustrated many individuals that post on here and you sit at your little computers all day and just talk and talk and talk and not do nothing. Is thaivisa the only place that you have a captive audience? Will other people give you the time of day to listen to your whining?

Yes when you do have one of these events I will support you by buying at 1200baht ticket to set at your VIP table, put up or shut up all you geniuses and leave the people alone who are trying to so something here in chiang mai other than running their mouths and doing zilch. Lets put it this way, if I put this on I would charge 1200-1500baht to keep out the rifraff and compensate me for having to listen to whiners and complainers and geniuses that all they do is talk, talk, talk, talk, etc.. Have a nice day and git away from your secluded little room and go out and get some sun and get a life and let David live his.

I want to apologize for saying: "that is why a lot of good folks think that this forum is for the secluded and frustrated many individuals that post on here and you sit at your little computers all day and just talk and talk and talk and not do nothing. Is thaivisa the only place that you have a captive audience? Will other people give you the time of day to listen to your whining?" I can see from the number of posts next to your TV NAME that this is the only life you have, I really feel a lot of you would be lost without thaivisa, sorry if I offended anyone!!!!!!!

This is a forum for members to post so if anyone doesn’t want replies they should advertise on mediums such as print media or blaring from loudspeakers on trucks where they’ll not be able to hear the comments.

jarhead:

“dam, with your knowledge you could put everyone out of business, i cant wait to come to your event, can i sit in the vip section????”

That is your reply my posting concluding with “I feel that community on the whole wanted to spend the day celebrating together (not make it a business rivalry) so it is a shame that it's not really possible for many families anymore to attend, that's more the point.”

Did you not see that I said “not make a business rivalry”?? Anyway I am not in business here, have any interest to nor have I ever suggested I want to be.

northern john:

“With your background in the industry and economics does it not make a difference when you give a 1,000 baht seat away for nothing?”

If in fact there is limited seating a 3 yr old can share a seat with a parent if their discount stipulates but as there is a large garden area it probably won't be necessary.

“With all due respect where are these other events. I may be wrong but if they are put on by a business would not making money be there first concern before making it a family affair.”

Since the hosts states “I might get tired of subsidizing this event “ according to him it’s not a venture for making money so no that is not.

Also it is advertised as “A destination for friends and family to get together and share”.

theDukes:

“Do the math here”

Don’t have to do the math as others have already pointed out some of the flaws in your arithmetic such as costs should be figured in real costs.

For example, evenstevens asked (which you didn’t answer) “god stone the crows, 2 amercian craft beers at 200 baht a pop, say it is your wholesale price , as it is in your costs breakdown”

As for the service fee, I figure it was 30,000 bht so without even knowing how many staff or if it’s in addition to the wages, that’s extremely generous.

Security 15,0000 bht, not disputing the figure but would be interested to know how it breaks down too.

northernjohn mentions me in this post “Or better still don't attack the host because he is going to make a profit. Ask JC he is an expert in the field how much is a fair profit and how much will Dave make after all the freebees.”

As for fair profit it all depends on what your goal is, maximize profits or do something to support your home away from home local community and customers? I’d like to point out that previously Dave said “I'd love to not lose money for 1 year” so the answer might be he will be making nothing. As for “after all the freebies” that adults are paying 1200 bht ea. (the Free dictionary by Farlex on the internet (see what I did there smile.png ) defines Freebie as “something provided without charge”)

I do want to conclude that I did enjoy the 4th of July party I went to at The River Market (even it I’m not exactly sure what year it was) and planned on coming again to this years.

“Anybody know if they are charging for very young kids, kindergarten age?” which I was referring to my just turned 3 yrs. old kindergarten boy was just a simple question that I thought not only of myself but other’s might be interested in knowing.

Yes but it doesn’t say what is considered a kid, would a mother with twin 3 mnt olds pay 1200 for them alone?

Maybe even more parents would attend if they knew too depending on the answer. Meant to be harmless, wasn’t any reflection on the ticket price or implication that it was too expensive for what was listed on the ad you get for it.

After reading this crap for numerous days, and yes thank you for all the experts, complainers and whiners I have only concluded that you have a sense of entitlement and ego's that no one satisfy, and all you great talkers what are you doing, yes. I see you still just talking and not doing nothing, that is why a lot of good folks think that this forum is for the secluded and frustrated many individuals that post on here and you sit at your little computers all day and just talk and talk and talk and not do nothing. Is thaivisa the only place that you have a captive audience? Will other people give you the time of day to listen to your whining?

Yes when you do have one of these events I will support you by buying at 1200baht ticket to set at your VIP table, put up or shut up all you geniuses and leave the people alone who are trying to so something here in chiang mai other than running their mouths and doing zilch. Lets put it this way, if I put this on I would charge 1200-1500baht to keep out the rifraff and compensate me for having to listen to whiners and complainers and geniuses that all they do is talk, talk, talk, talk, etc.. Have a nice day and git away from your secluded little room and go out and get some sun and get a life and let David live his.

I want to apologize for saying: "that is why a lot of good folks think that this forum is for the secluded and frustrated many individuals that post on here and you sit at your little computers all day and just talk and talk and talk and not do nothing. Is thaivisa the only place that you have a captive audience? Will other people give you the time of day to listen to your whining?" I can see from the number of posts next to your TV NAME that this is the only life you have, I really feel a lot of you would be lost without thaivisa, sorry if I offended anyone!!!!!!!

Saying all this once didn't embarrass you enough, so you had to say it twice?

When I stated that I didn't feel like spending 2,400 baht for two hamburgers, a couple of soft drinks, and perhaps a hot dog, it wasn't a whine. It wasn't a complaint. It was a statement. I was not complaining about the cost, but simply stating that we didn't feel it was of value to us as a family. David recognized that several people were making such statements and apologized for mistaking them for complaints, realizing that we weren't attacking him, nor attacking the party. We just didn't want to spend our money that way. So why are you so defensive that you need to call people names, and denigrate them TWICE with your posts?

Edited by FolkGuitar

I wouldn't be wearing a cute little swimsuit like that! And it's going to take more than 100 baht per throw to get me on a bench above a tank of water.

Of course we wouldn't expect Nancy to wear a cute little swim suit. She can dispense with that and we will put up a lot more than 100 baht. At least 105 baht.

Ride on Lady Godiva.

jarhead:

northern john:

theDukes:

“Do the math here”

When I stated that I didn't feel like spending 2,400 baht for two hamburgers, a couple of soft drinks, and perhaps a hot dog, it wasn't a whine. It wasn't a complaint. It was a statement. I was not complaining about the cost, but simply stating that we didn't feel it was of value to us as a family. David recognized that several people were making such statements and apologized for mistaking them for complaints, realizing that we weren't attacking him, nor attacking the party. We just didn't want to spend our money that way. So why are you so defensive that you need to call people names, and denigrate them TWICE with your posts?

wow, really set you off, who is getting defensive?

Most of the folks who come to this event don't drink a lot. After all this is not a ThaiVisa event although we would like it to be. Yoo hoo. You know it's a good ThaiVisa party when a couple of fights break out and the police are called. It's not good when everyone sits around and says, "oh, so you're junglechef or mapguy," and they hug and sing kumbaya.

One year I saw a lady cashing in all her unused drink tickets for sodas to take home for the kids. Maybe next year we will try and get away from some drinks included. Maybe we can have a 500-600 Baht cover charge and let people order off the menu. Might happen. As far as costs go for the party it's pretty plain and clear. We won't do 300 people. At this price we'll do 100-175. If we do 175 we do OK. It makes it nicer for all concerned so in part you are also paying to be able to get to the bar and get a drink and to get to the food without 100s or a 1000 people trampling you down. This time of year there are 100s of kids from the US in town and they all want to come in and eat a hot dog and play Frisbee. So while a cheap and/or free event is nice, it is also nice to pay a little more and have a good peaceful event.

It's easy to say I'll only eat a burger until you see the apple pie and the dessert and candy bar. And when you get there and the nachos look good and some quesadillas. Before you know it the roast beef sandwiches or the sausages and dogs are calling out. Have a couple of micro-brews and the dancing looks good and then another couple of ribs or a pulled smoked pork sandwich. Then maybe a piece of chocolate cake and some more ice cream.

Sure some eat more than others and some eat a little. That's how it all averages out. We're not going to say that jarhead has to pay double because he eats a lot, and he does eat a lot, did I say a lot because you should see this guy eat, and his wife eats a little. Probably if there were not people running interference he might gobble up his wife. He brings the family and everyone has a good time.

If you don't want to go... don't go. I don't want to go over the list of organizations or charities that my restaurants give some support to. This is not a charity event. It's an event that loses money. Seems simple enough to understand. I'd love to make money. There is no reason for everyone to bicker about this or that. If you want to come then come.

Let's start planning a ThaiVisa event so we can bicker with all nationalities.

D

Edited by theDukes

wow, really set you off, who is getting defensive?

You're absolutely right. Instead, I should just be ignoring you. I know for sure I wouldn't want to party with you.

If you don't want to go... don't go.

^^^^^^excactly

nancy l to morning gave me a very good plan for my visiting two couples , over the july 4th w/end, which i took on board and gave her a kiss (like buttion) smile.png

after reading your above post, chez marco has now taken pole position

a lovely evening to allbiggrin.png

Most of the folks who come to this event don't drink a lot. After all this is not a ThaiVisa event although we would like it to be. Yoo hoo. You know it's a good ThaiVisa party when a couple of fights break out and the police are called. It's not good when everyone sits around and says, "oh, so you're junglechef or mapguy," and they hug and sing kumbaya.

I'd really like to think that you are being factious. But there is this little niggling bit that makes me think you are serious.

I guess we like different types of parties. And that's OK.

Maybe we can have a 500-600 Baht cover charge and let people order off the menu. Might happen.

That would be wonderful. I think a lot more people would be in attendance. We'd probably be there. The funny thing is, between the cover charge and ordering off the menu, we'd probably be spending almost as much, yet it wouldn't 'feel' as if we were being shoe-horned into something we didn't want. Interesting thought...

It's easy to say I'll only eat a burger until you see the apple pie and the dessert and candy bar. And when you get there and the nachos look good and some quesadillas. Before you know it the roast beef sandwiches or the sausages and dogs are calling out. Have a couple of micro-brews and the dancing looks good and then another couple of ribs or a pulled smoked pork sandwich. Then maybe a piece of chocolate cake and some more ice cream.

That's almost more food than I eat all week. Never eat dessert. Might have two beers in a year. Cover charge and menu would work well for many families.

We won't do 300 people. At this price we'll do 100-175.

Perhaps with a cover charge and menu, you would do 300+ people. Perhaps 500+ with people spilling out the sides. Perhaps it would seem to people to be a real "July 4th Celebration!" rather than simply a money-making event taking place on July 4th, yet in the long run actually making more profit for all concerned?

D

Yeah, why should the Yanks have all the fun.

Then the Aussies and the Kiwis can kick the shit out of each other. The Poms and the Irish can have a set to and everyone can beat the hell out of the Frogs. Good idea Dave. Sanook mak mak.

Perhaps with a cover charge and menu, you would do 300+ people. Perhaps 500+ with people spilling out the sides. Perhaps it would seem to people to be a real "July 4th Celebration!" rather than simply a money-making event taking place on July 4th, yet in the long run actually making more profit for all concerned?

Then that wouldn't be anything resembling an old fashioned 4th of July picnic would it?

And of course Nancy is correct in stating that having a higher cost keeps out the masses and those just looking for cheap eats. Guess that makes it better for those that can afford it or who sincerely want to go. I probably will for the sake of something different to do.

D

Yeah, why should the Yanks have all the fun.

Then the Aussies and the Kiwis can kick the shit out of each other. The Poms and the Irish can have a set to and everyone can beat the hell out of the Frogs. Good idea Dave. Sanook mak mak.

Perhaps we might call it a "Dis-United Nations" Party ? rolleyes.gif

Then that wouldn't be anything resembling an old fashioned 4th of July picnic would it?

And of course Nancy is correct in stating that having a higher cost keeps out the masses ..................

It would certainly be just like the old fashioned 4th of July picnics I remember in the US.

And exactly 'why' would you want to keep out the masses? Nancy may wish to exclude the masses, but not everyone feels that way. In America, we feel our national holiday is for everyone, not just a select few.

As I said before, nothing wrong with putting on a profit-making affair. And having its theme be a July 4th celebration is fine.

But when your plan is 'to keep out the masses....' well... that's just not what American national holidays are all about.

Edited by FolkGuitar

And of course Nancy is correct in stating that having a higher cost keeps out the masses ..................

It would certainly be just like the old fashioned 4th of July picnics I remember in the US.

And exactly 'why' would you want to keep out the masses? Nancy may wish to exclude the masses, but not everyone feels that way. In America, we feel our national holiday is for everyone, not just a select few.

As I said before, nothing wrong with putting on a profit-making affair. And having its theme be a July 4th celebration is fine.

But when your plan is 'to keep out the masses....' well... that's just not what American national holidays are all about.

You know, at this point in the thread it looks like you're just trying to find things to criticize. Let it go already, good lord.

Well I don't really know what to say, as a proud Englishman I thought this day was a great celebration for you Americans in memory of the the day when you gave us Brits a bloody nose.But reading this thread, it looks like Dave will have to lay on an American civil war battle re enactment.

Come on chaps get yourselves down to River market on the day and have a great time no more bickering please, after all it is a holiday.

Where exactly did I write that the higher costs keep out the masses? I'm being misquoted. I said the higher costs keep out the people who come, take up the seats, drink the free water and don't order anything. Is this really fair to Dave, his staff or those who want to enjoy a meal with their family & friends and have a good view of the festivities? The higher costs keep out the Cheap Charlies, not the masses. The Cheap Charlies can still watch from the bridge or the other side of the river.

Dave, think long and hard about the idea of a cover charge and then everyone orders off the menu. Be sure your staff is on board and capable of handling a table of twelve with everyone wanting a separate check. Be sure you have enough "set menu" options to cover the basics.

Personally, I think the current system allows us to have much great variety in the menu selections. We can enjoy everything from craft beers to hot dogs, apple pie and som tam. Graze on a couple dozen different items.

I do think an adult "no alcohol" or "alcohol a la carte" ticket would be a good idea, however. That's the way it was run over at the sports field, with beer and soft drinks extra. I know restaurants make their money from alcohol, not food, but the current adult ticket price does discourage those who don't drink alcohol. I guess it will mean the end of me scoring unwanted drink tickets from my non-drinking friends, but oh well.

Edited by NancyL

Strange I spent 29 years in America and can not rightly recall parties being held for the masses by a single individual. They were more government or organization sponsored. By the way drop by the river Market. One of the things you will notice is it does not have room for the masses.

An old man, a boy and a donkey and the 4th of July celebration,

An old man, a boy and a donkey were going to town. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked: "What a shame, the old man is walking and the boy is riding."

The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Later they passed some people who remarked: "What a shame, he makes that little boy walk." So they then decided they'd both walk!

Soon they passed some more people who remarked "They're really stupid to walk when they have a decent donkey to ride."

So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people who shamed them by saying: "How awful to put such a load on a poor donkey."

The boy and the man figured they were probably right, so they decide to carry the donkey.

As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the donkey and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story?

If you try to please everyone, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye!

Have A Nice Day!

Well I don't really know what to say, as a proud Englishman I thought this day was a great celebration for you Americans in memory of the the day when you gave us Brits a bloody nose.But reading this thread, it looks like Dave will have to lay on an American civil war battle re enactment.

Come on chaps get yourselves down to River market on the day and have a great time no more bickering please, after all it is a holiday.

Maybe Australia should celebrate July 4 as their national day holiday too. After all when the Americans kicked out the Poms there was nowhere they could send their prisoners to.

Then someone in Admiralty, or where ever, said: "I say. Do you remember that chap Cook, He said he found a place somewhere in the South Pacific that would make a good dumping ground for convicts'.

So thanks to the Americans Australia, in a non aboriginal sense, came into being.

Just my opinion; Yes, space is limited to about 300 people and that limits the amount of money taken in on ticket sales. Now to have a big fireworks display, live music, games, free food and drinks costs a lot of money. Thus the high price to attend, it is really just that simple.

There will also be a charity raffle that David graciously gave up valuable table space for. Some of the prizes may include a new flat screen TV, a nice used motorbike. spa treatments, dinner tickets at some area restaurants and more.