The secret lives of Thailand's counterfeiters

webfact

Since you said this, which high quality cars and motorcycles are made and exported "around the world?"

Toyota HiLux, Kawasaki ER-6, Honda PCX for a few. Why do you ask 2 dogs?

Hahaahh those are all Japanese hahahahhah not even a close try

The parent companies are Japanese. Not worth wasting my time dealing with you so I did the first example only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Thailand

Made by a Thai company, with mainly Thai executives, in Thailand, by Thai workers. The vehicle design is Japanese, based on an Australian vehicle variant and using an engine conceived in Germany.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you said this, which high quality cars and motorcycles are made and exported "around the world?"

The parent companies are Japanese. Not worth wasting my time dealing with you so I did the first example only.

Made by a Thai company, with mainly Thai executives, in Thailand, by Thai workers. The vehicle design is Japanese, based on an Australian vehicle variant and using an engine conceived in Germany.

Designed by Japanese and Germans. Thai workers are merely following instructions.

In Japan, workers are expected to come up with x improvements every month that makes assembly more efficient and higher quality.

Do you think Thai auto assembly line workers are coming up with production innovations?

5555+

As far as the owners and executives being "Thai", what value are they adding to the Japanese/German autos?

I'm guessing they're not engineers and make no design or production improvements whatsoever.

To call the automobiles coming out of Thailand factories "Thai" is an insult to educated people in Japan and Germany...

Edited by SiSePuede419

Thai people make beautiful girls, that`s something at leased.

Other than that it`s not much besides Thai massage, Red Bull, Boon Rawd Brewery (Singha and Leo beer), ThaiBev (Chang and Archa beer, Mekhong and SangSom spirits and Hong Thong whisky), Sappe (beauty products and beverage), Petroleum export (ca. $10,500,000,000), Gold and Jewelries (ca. $4,500,000,000), Rubber ($3,873,650,000), Rice ($3,955,767,000), Tuna (ca. $2,000,000,000) and some food and farm export products.

Edited by HOAX

I'm talking about invested funds, know-how, technology and machines, as NeverSure mentioned in his post.

Regarding inventions, Japan is worldwide third for patents, behind the USA and Germany.

The "copy and improve" myth was true in Japan's post-war industrial expansion, but not anymore since the 90ies.

What does Japan have a patent on that is world changing? Medicine? The jet engine? Computer, TV, radio, telephone, smartphone, software, internet...

These are the type of things that propelled some countries, and left others working for them. Some of it is historically recent such as the digital age with the internet, cell phone, smartphone, etc. etc.

Part of it is cultural and part is education. They go together. Now it's too late for Thailand to catch up unless it imports teachers and trainers from the West. The world has gotten too complicated and most knowledge is in English, and developed by English speaking people. You can't teach what you don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_inventions

there are some remarquable discoveries there - for example the Benouilli number, before Bernouilli did, or general anaestesia in medicine - the VCR and CD among other video/audio recording and storage.

today, most technology for flatscreens and storage technologies is Japanese.

Designed by Japanese and Germans. Thai workers are merely following instructions.

In Japan, workers are expected to come up with x improvements every month that makes assembly more efficient and higher quality.

Do you think Thai auto assembly line workers are coming up with production innovations?

5555+

As far as the owners and executives being "Thai", what value are they adding to the Japanese/German autos?

I'm guessing they're not engineers and make no design or production improvements whatsoever.

To call the automobiles coming out of Thailand factories "Thai" is an insult to educated people in Japan and Germany...

The utility/pickup was conceived in Oz, the diesel engine in Germany, the intermittent windscreen wipers and synchromesh box in the USA, the DVD player in Taiwan, the odometer in Canada, other input from other nations.

And yet, there will be a plate that says "Made in Thailand".

Edited by halloween

Most things produced here in thailand of any real quality are from japanese-korean owned companys, the knowhow and technology is not thai, the reason they are here is for cheap thai labor,

These same companies can up root in a heart beat to any country where the labor is cheaper and or politically more stable as many have done in the past,

Quality pure thai products seem almost impossible to find, i have tried a few but most broke after a few days or did,nt actually work out the box,

Does thailand even produce a thai developed car?, products from japanese factories or tuk tuks not included

Actually they do - cop the sweet curves on this Thai designed car....

http://www.thairung.co.th/en/tr_tranformer.php

Do not think that is an original Thai design, just copied body work from HumVee and Jeep style vehicles. Powertrain probably Japanese made.

Don't forget that products do not only have to be designed but also have to be produced before you can make money out of them.

There's Thai innovation in Thailand, too.

And please don't forget that there's an international trend towards the tertiary sector, ie services. And Thailand is top in this sector.

Topic was "counterfeit" actually.

There must be a demand for ultra cheap counterfeit products, otherwise there wouldn't be a supply.

"And please don't forget that there's an international trend towards the tertiary sector, ie services. And Thailand is top in this sector.

Topic was "counterfeit" actually."

Speaking of counterfeit services, unless you want to have kids, robotic sex workers will disrupt the wonderful Thai "service" economy, 555

Most things produced here in thailand of any real quality are from japanese-korean owned companys, the knowhow and technology is not thai, the reason they are here is for cheap thai labor,

These same companies can up root in a heart beat to any country where the labor is cheaper and or politically more stable as many have done in the past,

Quality pure thai products seem almost impossible to find, i have tried a few but most broke after a few days or did,nt actually work out the box,

Does thailand even produce a thai developed car?, products from japanese factories or tuk tuks not included

Thairung is an Isuzu with modified body work. Isuzu isn't Thai

1. Bar girls

2.Chang beer.

IMO Both quality products.

And lots of quality copies of number 1 around.

"And please don't forget that there's an international trend towards the tertiary sector, ie services. And Thailand is top in this sector.

Topic was "counterfeit" actually."

Speaking of counterfeit services, unless you want to have kids, robotic sex workers will disrupt the wonderful Thai "service" economy, 555

Just google "fufme", and you'll find a solution for all your problems. It'll also make your wife/gf happy :D

wrong, do you not notice all the Technical schools in bangkok, Thai's go into technical schools for their high school education or shortly there after, if anything they are interested in computer lanuguage and nothing else.. Its the global awarness education, philosophy, history, etc that they are particularly not interested in.. Big reason there is so much technical manufacturing in Thailand is the talent pool for technically skilled workers and the cheap wages they are willing to work for..

I just got an email from a buddy. Here's part of what he said. The Commodore 64 came out in 1981 - as recently as that but things change so fast I didn't know anyone would still use that old 8 bit machine.

"I am watching TV now and a seg on a 84 Commodore that has run a school heating system, etc for over 19 years made me think of you. If you dont watch KDOV TV, you might want to tune in and watch their programming starting at 7 or before. You can get it online, or watch it on Roku (which we do in Maui) live. Good programming. You would enjoy."

I've got 12 year old American kids writing computer code in programming languages while Thai kids aren't really interested in any other language much less a programming language.

1. Bar girls

2.Chang beer.

IMO Both quality products.

And lots of quality copies of number 1 around.

Sounds as if you have a different understanding about " quality" biggrin.png

I remember the first generation of the Transformer had a toyota hilux chassis and interior.

I remember the first generation of the Transformer had a toyota hilux chassis and interior.

Aaah - but it is the Thai genius that thought of putting a box on the top and cutting holes for windows that deserves the praise.

In my observation it's rare to see Thais buying the luxury brand copies, contradicting the OP. Calvin Klein another matter and not luxury anyway.

Many luxury items are cheaper in London than the equivalent in the Bangkok glitzy mall shops (even before you discount the price for reclaim of VAT). After years of my wife buying Louis Vuitton copies at Cambodian border markets I thought she deserved a slice of a big tax refund I got for going non-resident in the UK. A small seasonal bag - at about GBP 760 would have cost close to 900 quid in Emporium or Siam. I checked before we went on hols back there and, surprisingly, LV staff in Bangkok were happy to advise in favour of the UK. I got a 90 quid VAT refund in cash on top of that and in the process helped a couple fo groups of Thais with their claim forms.

If that replicates to other luxury brands it may explain your observation.

[Do I think it is worth paying 670 quid for a handbag that is almost indistinguishable from a 40 quid copy? Nah! ........ But then translating that to the male psyche, would I want to travel around in a Philippine-made copy Ferrari bought for 15,000 quid if I could reach enough to buy the original? Nah!]

The strange thing is that none of those high quality counterfeits is produced in Thailand, but they all come from neighboring countries, merely because no Thai is able to produce something of quality.

Now would those countries produce those counterfeits for Thailand only? I doubt that.

Thailand produces many high quality products exported around the world. Cars and motorcycles come first to mind.

What prompts you to write such derogatory rubbish?

Can you name just 2 quality Thai products?

F.Y.I. Toyota or Samsung aren't Thai.

Nan from "Sweet massage" and Lek from "Sawasdee Spa and massage" .... whistling.gif

The parent companies are Japanese. not worth wasting my time dealing with you so I did the first example only.

My point nothing designed or originated by Thai people, NOTHING. Which is what the premise is behind my original comments and many other posters. Thailand is nothing but a source of cheap labor for the world. Labor is not the same as research and design or product construction. The only thing Thai workers do is put these Japanese designed parts together. Thailand is the source of many knockoff clothes items....if you want to see their sweatshops let me know I can arrange to take you to a road behind Fortune Town that is full of them.

The strange thing is that none of those high quality counterfeits is produced in Thailand, but they all come from neighboring countries, merely because no Thai is able to produce something of quality.

Now would those countries produce those counterfeits for Thailand only? I doubt that.

Thailand produces many high quality products exported around the world. Cars and motorcycles come first to mind.

I have to agree with Anthony5.

Most things which are of high quality and made in Thailand are under the direction of a foreign leader. Thais are just the labour.

Leave Thais to do it and (if by some miracle they actually finish it), it is made as cheaply as possible. Any project on a larger scale has the funding frittered away through corruption and all the scams which go on (like employing family members who never turn up).

Of course there will be a few exceptions - but in 10 years I have seen little to contradict the above.

In contrast, my experience with people from China and Taiwan is that they are hungry for success and very willing to put in the hours and effort to get it.

I cannot think of a single high quality product designed and manufactured by Thais.

So, what make of car does Thailand make, let alone export? I have never seen one.

I bought a replica Omega Seamaster watch a few years back which I took to a high end store in my home city to get the battery replaced. Now the watchmaker in this store must handle a lot of high end genuine watches yet he was unable to tell the difference and quoted me £65 to supply and fit a new battery. Needless to say I said no thanks and bought the tool and battery off the internet and replaced it myself. I also purchased a replica football shirt for a quarter of the price of a genuine shirt, It is better quality than the cheap original Puma ones that are sold in my local club store.

A lot of these companies have themselves to blame they are greedy, take Apple, they make huge profits on the back of Chinese slave labour and a loyal following of their brand. I myself have a Samsung Galaxy 3 which I bought second hand in Pattaya it does what I need it to do. I mean how many pixels does your phone camera need? I have also bought Lacoste copies in the past which I ended up giving away because I hate the feel of polyester. I own a lot of original Lacoste and can say that if the Thai copies were made out of cotton then I would still have them, since they looked good and were a fraction of the price of the real thing.

Its funny how companies make symbols of status and then moan that people who can't afford them want them. I would never buy a real Seamaster unless I won the lotto or landed a plumb job so I can only think the reason they don't want copies is because it diminishes the exclusiveness of their products which is not something I am going to lose sleep over anytime soon.

Edited by MRDave

• 2 weeks later...

I can name a few gold jewlery and gem cutting comes to mind. Not to mention silk products whi h are sold the world over. Buy a 1 baht gold chain here and sell for double in your home country.for those who don't know a 1 baht chain is about 15 grams of 23 K gold. Or close the karat rating of 14 K gold I think cambodian gold is 24K same as India.