Palestinian president announces government will dissolve

webfact

Palestinian president announces government will dissolve
MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas announced the national unity government he formed with Hamas last year will dissolve.

Abbas did not make any mention of a timetable for resignation in his announcement Tuesday night. But it is expected within days.

Abbas said the move was "because Hamas didn't let it work in Gaza."

The government was formed last year before the war between the Islamic militant group Hamas and Israel. It came after years of feuding between the rival Palestinian groups.

But the government did not function well and the sides have argued over how to carry out reconstruction of the war-battered Gaza Strip and other issues.

Hamas violently seized Gaza from Abbas forces in 2007, leaving him governing just parts of the West Bank.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-17

This unity government had no mandate anyway and was dead in the water, still born like

body, Abbas biggest fear is that any free election will give Hamas a resounding win over

him and his people...and now that Hamas are mulling a 5 years cease fire with Israel,

maybe Abbas is seeing the light and re tacking his moves as well not to be left out....

Possibly a wise tactical move to distance Fatah from Hamas prior to the ICC war crimes charges against Israel. Hamas will no doubt come under scrutiny and not emerge pristine, so Fatah pressing the charges alone makes for a much better chance of a good and just verdict without any mitigating balancing out of crimes.

Possibly a wise tactical move to distance Fatah from Hamas prior to the ICC war crimes charges against Israel. Hamas will no doubt come under scrutiny and not emerge pristine, so Fatah pressing the charges alone makes for a much better chance of a good and just verdict without any mitigating balancing out of crimes.

It's quite possible Abbas has done this on external (read US or UN) advice.

The arabs can't even agree amongst themselves how to spend the billions in welfare money the westerners and Gulf states provide, and yet the Israeli bashers expect Israel to negotiate an arrangement with the collective. cheesy.gif

yet the Israeli bashers expect Israel to negotiate an arrangement with the collective.
Not true.
Speaking for myself only as an Israeli government policy critic, I think the way forward is for Israel to deal separately with Hamas and the PA. Israel has done it before making separate peace deals with Egypt and Jordan.
re Hamas,
Ease tensions with Gaza by gradually lifting the blockade. Hamas has stopped firing rockets, and if Israel would help rather than hinder them, they could stop the handful of IS affiliates firing too. Negotiate a 5,10 year, indefinite ceasefire with Hamas. A peace deal may come later.
re PA,
Get serious about negotiating a 2 state solution on the West Bank before it becomes a one state solution with Israel absorbing 2.5 million Palestinians.
A peace deal would benefit Israel and the Palestinians enormously and would be a shot in the arm for the global economy too. It would influence the majority of Gazans to come on board too.
Study: Israelis, Palestinians Would Gain Billions From Peace
The RAND Corp. study published Monday indicates over the next decade Israelis would gain $120 billion from a peace deal. The Palestinians would gain $50 billion, marking a 36-percent rise in their average per-capita income.
In contrast, a return to violence would see the Israeli economy lose some $250 billion in foregone economic opportunities, while the Palestinians could see their per-capita gross domestic product fall by as much as 46 percent.

Then there's the story of the man who saw a snake out in the freezing weather. The cold blooded snake was disabled by the cold. The man took the snake home and put it by his fireplace so it could warm up. When the snake warmed up it bit the man. The man said "What did you do that for?" The snake answered: "What did you expect me to do? I'm a snake."

Hamas is the snake. No one can trust Islamic terrorists.

I think the way forward is for Israel to deal separately with Hamas and the PA. Israel has done it before making separate peace deals with Egypt and Jordan.

Egypt and Jordan are different countries. Of course they were dealt with separately. Hamas and the PA are two halves of the same government.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think the way forward is for Israel to deal separately with Hamas and the PA. Israel has done it before making separate peace deals with Egypt and Jordan.

Egypt and Jordan are different countries. Of course they were dealt with separately. Hamas and the PA are two halves of the same government.

Did you read the OP? The coalition is being dissolved. They will no longer be the same.blink.png

Read the OP...they are separating.

They form a Unity government...Israeli response...we cannot discuss peace with terrorists

They dissolve Unity government...Israeli response...we cannot discuss peace with only one half of the Palestinian people.

Sounds like Netanyahu and Israeli apologists have a problem for every solution.

On a brighter note..

Does that mean you now recognize that Palestinians have a government and a country? At last you are now facing reality.

Edited by dexterm

Then there's the story of the man who saw a snake out in the freezing weather. The cold blooded snake was disabled by the cold. The man took the snake home and put it by his fireplace so it could warm up. When the snake warmed up it bit the man. The man said "What did you do that for?" The snake answered: "What did you expect me to do? I'm a snake."

Hamas is the snake. No one can trust Islamic terrorists.

Too simplistic false analogy fallacy. Hamas are not orphidians and the peace process is not a fireplace.

Lets stick to the real world, eh.

Did you read the OP? The coalition is being dissolved. They will no longer be the same.

Of course I read it. Egypt and Jordan are still two different countries. The dream of "Palestine" is just a complete mess. rolleyes.gif

Did you read the OP? The coalition is being dissolved. They will no longer be the same.

Of course I read it. Egypt and Jordan are still two different countries. The dream of "Palestine" is just a complete mess. rolleyes.gif

Your argument was Hamas and the PA are two halves of the same government....a completely redundant argument.

dexterm has been making this same argument for MONTHS - long before the government was dissolved. Do you read any one's posts besides your own?

Lord knows who anyone is supposed to negotiate with now. The last Palestinian government was elected for 4 years in 2006 and the Palestinian president was elected for 5 years in 2005. wacko.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

Perhaps Israel should negotiate with Jordan about a Palestinian state, simply remove the star the former King had put on the Jordanian flag and the two flags are the same. 77% of Jordanians regard themselves as Palestinian. All that would remain would be to get the remaining Palestinians to vacate Judea and Samaria.

P.S Mahmood Abbas is of Jordanian birth.