Disaster mitigation agencies to be on high alert for monsoon on Jun 17-21

webfact

Disaster mitigation agencies to be on high alert for monsoon on Jun 17-21

m11.jpg

File photo. Source: Internet

BANGKOK, 17 June 2015 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has instructed disaster mitigation agencies to be on high alert in preparation for the southwestern monsoon expected to make landfall between June 17-21.

According to Deputy Government Spokesperson Maj Gen Sensern Kaewkamnerd, Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has instructed the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and local agencies to come up with measures for personnel on site to carry out relief efforts immediately in the event of flooding, hurricane and landslides. Areas at risk of such disasters include the central, eastern and southwestern regions of Thailand.

The Meteorological department has forecast a southwestern monsoon to make landfall in Thailand between June 17-21, causing heavy rainfall in several areas.

Relaying the Prime Minster’s message, the deputy spokesperson said the premiere is truly concerned with residents in risk-prone areas, and has given orders to local agencies and the military to aid those affected as swiftly as possible.

The local disaster prevention and mitigation agencies put on high alert are in the provinces of Pathum Thani, Suphan Buri, Prachinburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chanthaburi, Nonthaburi, Phuket, Nakhon Pathom, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Sa Kaeo, Samut Prakan, Chonburi, Rayong, Trat, Phetchaburi, Ranong, Phang Nga, Krabi, Trang and Bangkok.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-17 footer_n.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK. The authorities have issued a warning about weather.

Not sure how anyone could possibly have an issue with this...but.. this IS Thai Visa ...

I for one, say "Thank You" ...

Going now to the lobby to get 20,000 Baht and 12 bottles of water in case there is a major power outage.

Live above floor 30 .. so the rest is really no problem. Time for a swim ... Cheers!

Perhaps we will see a modern day miracle, and the Thai Bash Department will simply tip the hat and say "Good to know, thanks."

"Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has instructed the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and local agencies to come up with measures for personnel on site to carry out relief efforts immediately in the event of flooding, hurricane and landslides" Uh, aren't those duties what the department should be doing, like ya know, isn't that part of the job? Other than going to resorts and seminars?

Wow - a complete novum to Thailand... torrential downpours during off season!!! Never seen that before... coffee1.gif

What next? High tide on a full moon???

"Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has instructed the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and local agencies to come up with measures for personnel on site to carry out relief efforts immediately in the event of flooding, hurricane and landslides" Uh, aren't those duties what the department should be doing, like ya know, isn't that part of the job? Other than going to resorts and seminars?

Your welcome ... ?

can't ever win at this game .. can they.

Not sure how anyone could possibly have an issue with this...but.. this IS Thai Visa ...

Going now to the lobby to get 20,000 Baht and 12 bottles of water in case there is a major power outage.

Live above floor 30 .. so the rest is really no problem. Time for a swim ... Cheers!

Perhaps we will see a modern day miracle, and the Thai Bash Department will simply tip the hat and say "Good to know, thanks."

I'm certainly glad and appreciative for the alerts/reminders from whatever source.

I don't support, regulate or live with any people from the "Thai Bash Department". They are certainly free to express their views.

The on/off power button is a wonderful thing when the negative lamentations become to much.

What about the Typhoon style storms and rains we had over the last few days!!

Where was there typhoon style storms and rains? I definitely didn't notice any in downtown Bangkok. Those were merely the normal torrential downpours, nothing like the typhoon style storms that hits the Philippines or Hong Kong

Triple up on the water, add a few cans of tuna and mackerel, some other non-perishable foods and a few batteries for the flashlights, and you're set.

You may not flood, but if trucks can't get into BKK, you'll be glad you're set up.

I'm certainly glad and appreciative for the alerts/reminders from whatever source.

I don't support, regulate or live with any people from the "Thai Bash Department". They are certainly free to express their views.

The on/off power button is a wonderful thing when the negative lamentations become to much.

Well said, thank you ... I have found myself lately wasting too much time here ... I should not let the trolls get under my skin.

Have a good day... Best regards.

Triple up on the water, add a few cans of tuna and mackerel, some other non-perishable foods and a few batteries for the flashlights, and you're set.

You may not flood, but if trucks can't get into BKK, you'll be glad you're set up.

Thanks .. believe it or not, I always keep enough tins of tuna, etc .. crisps, canned soup, dried fish and baskets of fruit on hand to last a week.

Lived here in the last flood .. it went pretty well really.

Also unplug all the "good stuff" every night .. and during storms.

My favorite Sherlock Holmes quote of all time was in an episode where the curator of a museum told Sherlock that all was well, they had just installed a complete electronic alarm system.

With wire in hand, he looked up and said, "Electricity, the high priest of false security."

Not really too concerned, and know you agree .. better safe than sorry.

Well,

I am at a loss about this. What about the last two or three days of monsoon rains?

Maybe that didn't qualify for 'high alert' status.

The rain for the last week was due to the north east monsoon, the one to hit will be the south westerly one, that why the warning includes the southern provinces. But enjoy the rain it will not be long before the dams run dry (it must rain in the north + north east for the dams to fill up).

That's just the little showers its pushing in front of it.

Now, who did I lend those water wings to?......................rolleyes.gif

All I can say is, the government's anti-flooding and mitigation measures worked "really well" in Bangkok a week or so ago when the storms brought really heavy overnight rains for two nights in a row. Streets flooded and impassable, power poles and trees down, etc etc. And I don't think there even was any out-of-the-ordinary weather warnings then prior to those two storms.

The government agency referenced in the OP is named "Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, right??? Or perhaps it should be, the Department of Wake Up After It's All Over and Do Nothing...

20 provinces likely to face severe rain and storm this week

BANGKOK, 17 June 2015 (NNT) – The Minister of Interior has warned provinces in the central, eastern, and southern region to brace for potential flood, storm, and landslide disasters due to the expected strong winds and heavy rain during 17-21 June 2015.

The Minister of Interior Gen Anupong Paojinda has revealed that the strong southwest monsoon wind will pass over Thailand and the Andaman Sea, causing heavy rain in the central, eastern, and the western part of the southern part of Thailand. This monsoon rain is also expected to increase the potential of flood, storm, and landslide disasters in the areas.

Rough seas are also expected in the Andaman and the upper part of the Gulf of Thailand with waves expected to be at 2-3 meters high during the monsoon period.

Governors of the affected provinces, namely Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Pathum Thani, Phetchaburi, Ratchaburi, Sa Kaeo, Chonburi, Chanthaburi, Rayong, Trat, Prachinburi, Ranong, Phang Nga, Krabi, Phuket, and Trang, are to take precaution measures and to prepare for the potential disasters. Disaster prevention and mitigation plans should be prepared on the provincial level to cope with all disaster situations that may occur.

On this matter, the Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) Chatchai Promlert has warned the public living in the potential risk areas to closely monitor the weather forecast and obey authorities' disaster warnings.

The public in the risk areas should be vigilant for any uncommon environmental signs, while small vessels should refrain from sailing out to sea, and all captains and crews should be extra cautious while navigating at sea during this time.

The DDPM Director-General has also mentioned that the affected public can request for help by calling the 24-hour 1784 security hotline.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-17 footer_n.gif

Where was that? We had a nice gentle rain that lowered the temperature delightfully here in Nakhon Sawan. I didn't see any news stories about storms and flooding causing loss of life anywhere that I remember. Saw some headlines about some heavy rains in Bangkok, but that's normal for this time of year. It's the beginning of the rainy season, after all, which is known as -- wait for it -- The Southwestern Monsoon. The southwestern monsoon is the name of an annual (we hope) change in the prevailing winds which is a vital part of the ecology of Southeast Asia. It was vitally important for sea travel in the Indian Ocean for centuries when ships were powered by the wind.