Disaster mitigation agencies to be on high alert for monsoon on Jun 17-21

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK. The authorities have issued a warning about weather.

Not sure how anyone could possibly have an issue with this...but.. this IS Thai Visa ...

I for one, say "Thank You" ...

Going now to the lobby to get 20,000 Baht and 12 bottles of water in case there is a major power outage.

Live above floor 30 .. so the rest is really no problem. Time for a swim ... Cheers!

Perhaps we will see a modern day miracle, and the Thai Bash Department will simply tip the hat and say "Good to know, thanks."

TBD, say thank you. It isn't within their scope. Thank you for yours.

Cheers

And two days ago it was all about drought, drought, drought...

Well after the dry season it is dry until the wet season begins....Some people are every year again surprised.

(But it is the same with snow in Farangistan, people have the wrong tires and the agencies aren't prepared to clean the streets....every year a new surprise when the winter comes)

If nothing else, this thread got me to quit procrastinating about heading to the store for water. It's my first monsoon season, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but I have no desire to trek through the stream that our road is likely to become in a heavy rain.

I'm all stocked up now. So, thanks Mr. Minister of the Interior. biggrin.png

Sad...the drought areas didnt make the list.

Hey, what would happen if some areas were able to store water? .....The Romans figured it out. So did Palm Springs.

Sad...the drought areas didnt make the list.

Hey, what would happen if some areas were able to store water? .....The Romans figured it out. So did Palm Springs.

Where do you think? BKK of course! Where the heavy rains were reported.

You've obviously never experienced a signal 3 typhoon, much less signal 8.

No such thing as a class 8 typhoon !! The strongest typhoon is classed as level 5 and that is referred to as a super typhoon no matter how strong the winds are above the minimum criteria for class 5. There is no class 6 or higher numbered level of Typhoon that I have ever heard of. Please do try to get these basic facts right before quoting them. I think maybe you are trying to refer to the Beaufort scale where force 8 is a gale in fact, and force 11 is I believe a class 1 hurricane/typhoon/cyclone (all are the same thing but differently named in different regions of the globe). No reason at all why everyone should be expected to know that info of course, as we all know about different things of course. It is still though useful knowledge to learn.

Personally I have never experienced a full typhoon. A tropical storm is bad enough let alone an even minimum class 1 typhoon. Anyhow they are not talking here about a typhoon, and currently for info there is not even a tropical storm remotely in sight if you look at the Joint Typhoon Warning Centre that covers the whole of the pacific ocean and surrounding areas including Thailand.

We are, as is normal this time of year, expecting the first of the South Westerly monsoons of the rainy season, bringing not surprisingly heavy and sometimes devastating torrential rains and dangerously gusty maybe damaging local winds. As somebody said here earlier, what we have had these past thankfully cooling days is simply the showery precursor to the impending SW monsoons, which the Thai met office now say is likely about to strike the areas they have listed for our guidance.

So let us all thank them for the warnings and stop the incessant pointless moaning and put downs which are so boring and sadly so predictable.

Edited by rayw

Where do you think? BKK of course! Where the heavy rains were reported.

I think this June is the rainiest for Bangkok in decades.

Yes I agree. BKK and the surrounding areas! I moved out from the center of BKK after the last floods. Thankfully we're flood free here where we are in Nothaburi but I think I will stock up with beer just in case!

What about the Typhoon style storms and rains we had over the last few days!!

Recent rain also monsoonal. I think they mean that a surge of the SW Monsoon is expected!

If a typhoon (CAT1-5) actually ever gets over Thailand you need to snap up some roofing tile stocks!

Almost no rain in Kalasin Isaan this year so far. Once a week 30 minute shower, thats it.

Hottest weather in 4 years that I can remember and the least rain in 4 years so far.

Nearly 100 or more daily. at 7pm. on Monday it was 100 degrees F.

Chang Rai and Rayong friends are getting some.

Almost no rain in Kalasin Isaan this year so far. Once a week 30 minute shower, thats it.

Hottest weather in 4 years that I can remember and the least rain in 4 years so far.

Nearly 100 or more daily. at 7pm. on Monday it was 100 degrees F.

Chang Rai and Rayong friends are getting some.

What about the Typhoon style storms and rains we had over the last few days!!

Where was there typhoon style storms and rains? I definitely didn't notice any in downtown Bangkok. Those were merely the normal torrential downpours, nothing like the typhoon style storms that hits the Philippines or Hong Kong

To many expats here on TV, Thailand only consists of Bangkok and the westernized tourist resorts areas they know how to survive in.

Yes, there is much more to the real Thailand than these areas.

In these areas, we do not refer to an "Off season" and an "on season".

We do not have Spring, Summer, Winter or Fall either.

We have a Rainy season" a "hot season" and a "Cool season".

This is the start of the" Rainy season".

Yes, there has been some very serious weather in these areas recently.

Welcome to Thailand.post-147745-0-92787900-1434542967_thumb.

anything can happen in this country.... remember the 2011 floods??? no never coming to BKK! and... so best be prepared...

Yes, i do thank you .. do you?

they started in the north, in overfilled dams, and worked their way south over several weeks.

And your point is ... ?

anything can happen in this country.... remember the 2011 floods??? no never coming to BKK! and... so best be prepared...

Yes, i do thank you .. do you?

they started in the north, in overfilled dams, and worked their way south over several weeks.

And your point is ... ?

Point made is simply that anything can happen (as it can anywhere).

And I think the floods referred to were in 2012.

I know I learned two lessons in particular from living thru that debacle here...

1. The solution to Thailand's and especially Bangkok's seasonal flooding problems is placing large numbers of propeller boats into the Chao Phraya River to push the flood waters out more quickly, as the former Plod taught us all. whistling.gif

2. Whatever anyone in authority here says about what is or isn't going to happen, you can pretty much figure the opposite is what actually will happen in real life.

Bloody ludicrous, "Authorities on high alert" ? Flood prevention is a condition requiring extensive work on a project or extensive basis whilst flood mitigation is the reactions to flooding caused by the lack of adequate flood prevention programs and projects. Close the stable door after the horse has bolted, that's the Thai way.

Thai visa has reached gutter level with the increasing number of farangs who just want to criticise every post and try to be funny. There are very few comical comments. Mainly just ignorant farangs who have very boring lives and think they are being funny. Like others l barely read it anymore. Time to move on and receive my Thai news elsewhere