Man arrested for destroying sacred chicken figurines in Lampang

webfact

Man Arrested for Destroying Sacred Chicken Figurines
By Khaosod English

14346040061434604090l.jpg
Some of the chicken figurines allegedly broken by Thanapong Buapeng in a shrine dedicated to King Naresuanon in Lampang, 17 June 2015.

LAMPANG — Police have arrested a 19-year-old man who allegedly smashed more than 50 figurines at a local shrine in Lampang province while he was intoxicated.

According to police, Thanapong Buapeng entered a shrine dedicated to a King Naresuan, who lived 400 years ago, shortly after midnight on 17 June and proceeded to destroy dozens of small figurines of roosters placed by local residents as offerings to the ancient king. Thanapong fled the scene, but was arrested at his home yesterday, police say.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434604006

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-18

Just a few days back i visited a Wat in CM and saw rabbits, roosters, pigs, buffalos, elephants, lions and others on display. All made of cement ? or pottery. Are all these also sacred?

I'd say let the lad pay for some new roosters, then go home and cluck about it.

So, these are "sacred", huh? OK. if you say so it must be so. I was thinking it looked like broken pottery, silly me. whistling.gif

If your an atheist you can comment, if you have religion you can't because they are all equally unproven and funny.

Was probably drunk and brimming with anger from a previous event that he couldn't do anything about but smile and bow.

coffee1.gif

I assume this is meant to be a "subtle" attempt at Thai bashing because of the usual Thai reticence to show frustration outwardly.

Considering the nut case who just went berserk in a church in North Carolina in the US and shot dead 9 people, I would certainly prefer Thai civility and, in an extreme case, someone resorting to busting up some pottery when compared to the way people in parts of Farang Land deal with their personal problems.

So, these are "sacred", huh? OK. if you say so it must be so. I was thinking it looked like broken pottery, silly me. whistling.gif

Can I offer a bit of perspective here, in the form of a history lesson?

"Sacred" is probably not a good choice of word by a non-native writer of English. Maybe "revered" is more accurate. The chicken figurines are very common in the North as a token of esteem for King Naresuan and his valiant effort to save Lanna. He was a devotee of cock-fighting, so that's the connection.

King Naresuan of Ayuthaya is highly regarded in the North. The Lanna kingdom requested his help in defeating the Burmese, to chase them out of their country. King Nareasuan died in his effort to protect Lanna from invasion and occupation. In Wiang Haeng District of Chiang Mai, on the Burmese border, there is a large shrine dedicated to his memory. There are hundreds of chicken figurines at the shrine, increasing all the time.

The King died in Burma, not far from the current border, but the campaign was successful. The shrine at the border is as close as possible to the site of the king's demise. You wouldn't expect the Burmese to erect a shrine to their nemesis on their territory. There is a disused border post at the base of the hill below the shrine. No crossings are allowed there, not even by locals. The border post, overgrown with weeds, seems ominous, like a ghostly warning. The Burmese Army outpost overlooking the site adds to the eerie feeling.

Hope this helps to resolve a bit of the mystery of the "sacred" chicken figurines.

Edited by LawrenceN

Was probably drunk and brimming with anger from a previous event that he couldn't do anything about but smile and bow.

coffee1.gif

....Considering the nut case who just went berserk in a church in North Carolina in the US and shot dead 9 people....

I absolutely agree with this point.

I see numerous similarities between many Thais and many Americans.

Systematically dumbed-down. Indoctrinated and conditioned from birth. Etc etc.

It's sad to see such systems. :(

Can I offer a bit of perspective here, in the form of a history lesson?

"Sacred" is probably not a good choice of word by a non-native writer of English. Maybe "revered" is more accurate. The chicken figurines are very common in the North as a token of esteem for King Naresuan and his valiant effort to save Lanna. He was a devotee of cock-fighting, so that's the connection.

King Naresuan of Ayuthaya is highly regarded in the North. The Lanna kingdom requested his help in defeating the Burmese, to chase them out of their country. King Nareasuan died in his effort to protect Lanna from invasion and occupation. In Wiang Haeng District of Chiang Mai, on the Burmese border, there is a large shrine dedicated to his memory. There are hundreds of chicken figurines at the shrine, increasing all the time.

The King died in Burma, not far from the current border, but the campaign was successful. The shrine at the border is as close as possible to the site of the king's demise. You wouldn't expect the Burmese to erect a shrine to their nemesis on their territory. There is a disused border post at the base of the hill below the shrine. No crossings are allowed there, not even by locals. The border post, overgrown with weeds, seems ominous, like a ghostly warning. The Burmese Army outpost overlooking the site adds to the eerie feeling.

Hope this helps to resolve a bit of the mystery of the "sacred" chicken figurines.

Thank you. That's very good to know. thumbsup.gif