Thai hospitals urged to allow patients to buy their own medicines

webfact

When I first came here quite a few years ago now, I had a severe bout of food poisoning.... real hum dinger, coming out both ends with gay abandon, high fever, delirium and all (maybe it wasn't food poisoning after all) Anyway, I was in hospital for a couple of days on a drip, fair enough. I was given a load of meds while in my downtrodden state, but when I got a little better I asked the nurse what they were. I remember one of the meds I was given was Diazepam, or valium I guess..similar thing. I to this day cannot work out for the life of me what other reason they would have for giving someone already with a high fever and in a delirious state diazepam........apart from keeping me paying the bill for the bed and meds......diazepam?????is that reasonable? Since that day I have been VERY wary of Thai doctors and what they prescribe me.

I just return most of the medicine they give me. Last time i went to Bangkok hospital the cost was 1800 , after i returned all the extras the doctor hadn't mentioned, i was left with 400. No questions asked, just went back to the cashier for an adjustment. They must expect it.

Since then I've been going to Mission hospital. Farang doctor. He says i am giving you this for this and this for that. When it comes time to pay, only those are on the bill

I paid for meds at the hospital once and almost need a mortguage. However, having decided to try outside I went to Boot's, same result. Have now found a phamacy which saves me 500 bath per month on one scrip alone.

All it would take if for ONE good pharmacy to tap into the farang market...with transparent prices, web site, English speaking, knowledgeable staff....they would make a killing and blow the others out of the (huge) market. No one has even tried.

Good point, and they could easily set up an order by phone / e-mail etc., with delivery to the door for a small fee.

Great business opportunity.

I have used this same example in my MBA classes on innovation / innovative business / innovative competitive advantage.

maybe not legal

I paid for meds at the hospital once and almost need a mortguage. However, having decided to try outside I went to Boot's, same result. Have now found a phamacy which saves me 500 bath per month on one scrip alone.

All it would take if for ONE good pharmacy to tap into the farang market...with transparent prices, web site, English speaking, knowledgeable staff....they would make a killing and blow the others out of the (huge) market. No one has even tried.

Good point, and they could easily set up an order by phone / e-mail etc., with delivery to the door for a small fee.

Great business opportunity.

I have used this same example in my MBA classes on innovation / innovative business / innovative competitive advantage.

maybe not legal

We were at a private hospital last night. After you pay the rip-off bill (the big item is a 4,000 baht to change a half cast for a broken leg) you go to the pharmacy to collect your 'party bag' of meds. Now there is a sign stating 'Ask about equipment and medicine pricing'. Yet everyone's 'party bag' is ready for collection immediately the bill is paid. Nothing will change.

Are you kidding ? 4,000 THB is cheap compared to Western hospitals !

This is not the west. Repeat. This is not the west. Please leave all preconceptions and biases in home country.

Does anyone know where I can buy "Interferon" injectable at a pharmacy in Khon Kaen, for Hep C?

Or in the Isaan area, I live in Kalasin.

I am afraid to see what Srinakarind Hospital is going to charge me this week, after paying 6,610 Baht for the blood test.

Exactly.

In fact, ask the cashier to print out for you the list of medicines that the doctor has prescribed for you, which will include the hospital's pricing.

You can then look at the list, take it with you to buy outside, and tell the cashier that you already have these meds at home and don't need more, so she will deduct those meds from your final hospital bill.

While at the cashier, ask for the list of medicine and then tell the cashier you won't take them.
Never had a problem. They usually mention which item you can not buy from outside, and you should take from the hospital.

We were at a private hospital last night. After you pay the rip-off bill (the big item is a 4,000 baht to change a half cast for a broken leg) you go to the pharmacy to collect your 'party bag' of meds. Now there is a sign stating 'Ask about equipment and medicine pricing'. Yet everyone's 'party bag' is ready for collection immediately the bill is paid. Nothing will change.

Don't pay the bill until you've seen the items you are paying for. That said, I went back to check some medication prices because the figures didn't add up vs the previous week's additonal items. I left even more mystified when the figures for one medication, out of two, added up to more than they had charged me for the two together.

We all know the pharmacies at the hospital cost a bit more- but quite frankly for a few hundred baht- would prefer to get my meds- and get home.

Perhaps for many thousands would reconsider - there is no problem asking for a prescription - just ask.

2 of my doctors at that 'famous' hospital between Suk Soi 1 & 3 have told me to always buy my meds at outside pharmacies and avoid the gross mark-ups on the hospital's meds.

Did these doctors give you prescriptions for your medicines? I have yet to see any doctor write a prescription.

We all know the pharmacies at the hospital cost a bit more- but quite frankly for a few hundred baht- would prefer to get my meds- and get home.

Perhaps for many thousands would reconsider - there is no problem asking for a prescription - just ask.

One of the reasons hospital pharmacies are expensive is that they will give you brand name drugs even though there is a generic equivalent available. My guess, one reason they do this is, is to keep the drug company reps happy as they need those reps to supply them with brand name drugs for which there is no generic equivalent available.

Edited by JLCrab

"Hospitals urged to allow patients to buy their own medicines"

and about time too! there was always the double rip off , the second one,having to buy your medication at the Hospital on your way out!

There is a group of Chinese Thai owned Pharmacies just past The Crown Plaza Hotel on Rama IV rd Bangkok, that sell at Wholesale prices to retail Pharmacies. You can buy medicines at wholesale prices.

Good post, hope a lot of the ex-pats who live/holiday in BKK read it.

To be honest, a lot of the people who complain about paying too much for anything in Thailand probably do not know the ropes.

I have lived in Thailand for nearly 10 years and I know, looking back, the first year or so I used to pay too much for lots of things, but after discovering this forum and learning the local lingo I noticed I was paying less, quite often the same as the locals.

This forum is well worth looking at when you want to buy something or have medical treatment etc.

After an operation for prostrate cancer at Ramthibodi hospital ( excellent care btw). I have to take Casodex hormone pills to try to slow its growth. At the hospital counter the price was 20,000 baht for a month's supply, luckily i have a Thai friend who knows the owner of a pharmacy and I can buy the same pills for 8,000 baht.

A hell of a saving per month. The doc at Rama doesn't object.

Can I buy Metoprolol and Allopurinol over-the-counter in Thailand or do I need a prescription?

Yes allupirinol cheap as chips in farcino , in fact i have had to stop taking it as my liver count was going up , i have loads i cannot use.

Can I buy Metoprolol and Allopurinol over-the-counter in Thailand or do I need a prescription?

Yes allupirinol cheap as chips in farcino , in fact i have had to stop taking it as my liver count was going up , i have loads i cannot use.

Thanks, Claudius, I appreciate the information.