Phuket big bike rider dies after smashing into red light runners

Lite Beer

When it is par the course for people to ride 3up and more on scooters built to carry no more than two, no licence half the time, no helmets, defective lighting, ghost riding etc etc lax aplication of the highway rules then Carnage will rule, not a matter of if an accident willl occur but when. If is proven the scooter did run a red light then he should be charged with death by dangerous riding, alas here in LOS I fear not much will be done nor anything really learned by this unfortunate event as with the daily deaths here anmd that is the saddest thing really not to learn from the deaths which occur. yes everytime we go out on a road here we are at risk wheather in a car or riding a bike - be safe...

R I P to the Kwak rider

The like to jump green lights as well as red lights here. That scenario is hardly ever going to end well is it?

Not saying this guy jumped a green light though. You always have to double check here.

What?
Yeah I didn't understand that post either.

"About 80 metres from his orange-and-black Kawasaki 800cc motorbike was a full-face helmet".

I'm taking a wild guess he wasn't wearing it???

Some people actually wear them,but don't do the strap up,or my favorite,sitting on top of head,not pulled down.Why bother?

I don't wish to speculate, having read the posts so far there has been enough of that. But with regard to the helmet, any bikers out there that have watched bike racing will know that in rare circumstances it is possible for a rider to lose his helmet after a severe impact. And it must be remembered that these riders only wear the best protection available and they are always securely fastened. So it could be feasible that the helmet was being worn correctly, a scenario posters thus far have failed to consider.

Another consideration is the quality of helmets available here in Thailand. I bought two top of the range helmets in the UK, which also had Blue tooth communication, and brought them out to Thailand. As a biker of 54 years I learnt a long time ago that whilst it was great to ride with the wind in your hair, in an accident anything that I might hit would be a lot harder than my head. Lost a lot of good friends in the 60's through them not wearing helmets.

"full face helmet found near the body" tells me one of two things. 1) He had the helmet sitting on the tank, or hanging from the handlebars and wasn't wearing it. 2) He had it on, but didn't fasten the strap, so that it came off during the impact. Either way, sad way to go.

Thank you sherlock, case closed.

RIP

Oh BTW they even fitted countdown numbers for those who are more stupid than a rock.

Still don't make a blind bit of difference.

"full face helmet found near the body" tells me one of two things. 1) He had the helmet sitting on the tank, or hanging from the handlebars and wasn't wearing it. 2) He had it on, but didn't fasten the strap, so that it came off during the impact. Either way, sad way to go.

You forgot,

3) His head was still in it but the 'reporter' didn't think that was worth mentioning.

Given the standard of reporting here scenario 3 is just a likely as the others.

You jump a green light by doing what many people do: start crossing the intersection when the count down timer (red to green) reaches 3 seconds.

So when the light is still on Red you mean?

Starting to cross the intersection 3 seconds to go before the light reaches green. That is how you jump a green light. Happens all the time.

This is something I have not witnessed, in fact the exact opposite. Very often I've been sat in a queue at lights and the first car doesn't move for up to 10 seconds after the light turns green. Infuriatingly denying many vehicles behind the chance to cross on green.

You jump a green light by doing what many people do: start crossing the intersection when the count down timer (red to green) reaches 3 seconds.

So when the light is still on Red you mean?

Starting to cross the intersection 3 seconds to go before the light reaches green. That is how you jump a green light. Happens all the time.

R.I.P.

Edited by fasteddie

The like to jump green lights as well as red lights here. That scenario is hardly ever going to end well is it?

Not saying this guy jumped a green light though. You always have to double check here.

What are you blathering on about? A green light means go not nearly stop like some locals do and accelerate when the lights start to flash or turn amber!

many thais dont care about traffic lights, especially at night. you always must watch your rear mirror, (its dangerous to stop), the overtaking oncoming traffic, wrongly parked vehicles, vehicles without light, right and left sideroads , deep potholes, dogs, lowhanging cables, and crazy people. i think, after 15 years of driving in thailand, everybody had already one or more close calls. btw, if his helmet was 80 meters away from his bike, he clearly was way too fast, for an intersection.