Phuket big bike rider dies after smashing into red light runners

Lite Beer

Phuket big bike rider dies after smashing into red light runners

1434763785_1.jpg

PHUKET: A Phuket man is dead after sustaining head injuries when the Kawasaki motorbike he was driving late last night smashed into a motorbike that a had run a red light in Thalang.

Police notified at 1. 30am. At scene found 34 yo Mr Suriya Chaiyakul of Thalang lying in pool of blood, dead. Nearby found Honda Click with three passengers incl driver, all alive but with minor injuries. Big bike was Kawasaki 700cc, full face helmet found near body. 20 meters near Khao Lan junction.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-big-bike-rider-dies-after-smashing-into-red-light-runners-52866.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-20

I hate red light jumpers. I hope they get charged with causing death. I always worry when I pass traffic lights at night because many Thais jump red lights. If there is anything they should check and fine heavily its jumping red lights.

On an other note what Kawasaki is 700cc ?

The like to jump green lights as well as red lights here. That scenario is hardly ever going to end well is it?

Not saying this guy jumped a green light though. You always have to double check here.

Does it matter what size the <deleted>' engine is, the poor bugg*r is dead RIP

It matters for people who like bikes and like accurate reporting. As i ride a big bike too I was curious what bike they were talking about.

I am sorry the guy is dead and in my post i started of commenting on that and just put it as a side note.

The like to jump green lights as well as red lights here. That scenario is hardly ever going to end well is it?

Not saying this guy jumped a green light though. You always have to double check here.

What?

Yeah I didn't understand that post either.

"About 80 metres from his orange-and-black Kawasaki 800cc motorbike was a full-face helmet".

I'm taking a wild guess he wasn't wearing it???

What?

"About 80 metres from his orange-and-black Kawasaki 800cc motorbike was a full-face helmet".

How do you jump a green light? Suddenly stop on green?

The more probable reason the helmet was found so far away, was that the chin strap wasn't used.

Check out riders wearing helmets. Half of them don't secure it to their heads by using the strap.

Edited by KarenBravo

"full face helmet found near the body" tells me one of two things. 1) He had the helmet sitting on the tank, or hanging from the handlebars and wasn't wearing it. 2) He had it on, but didn't fasten the strap, so that it came off during the impact. Either way, sad way to go.

What?

I think he's trying to say that drivers in Thailand ignore traffic control signals. While proceeding through an "orange signal" (one that is turning from yellow to red) should be expected, many drivers run the light well after it has turned to red. You have to be extremely vigilant when proceeding through any intersection in Thailand because of blatant disregard for traffic controls and the rules of the road.

Speed and probably alcohol were likely primary factors as well in causing the collision. It's possible that the death of the 800cc bike driver was from other bodily injuries in light of the speed of his bike, and had nothing to do with whether he was wearing a helmet. Of note, the three injured on the other bike were tourists from Udon Thani, and one of the passengers had time to jump off the bike prior to the collision. That could point to lack of attention or delayed reaction (perhaps due to intoxication) on the part of his bike driver.

Edited by zaphod reborn

What?

I think the member means, when the lights are changing from green to red, some drivers / riders speed up to get through the green, rather than slow down in order to prepare to stop for the red.

What?

The more probable reason the helmet was found so far away, was that the chin strap wasn't used.

Check out riders wearing helmets. Half of them don't secure it to their heads by using the strap.

You jump a green light by doing what many people do: start crossing the intersection when the count down timer (red to green) reaches 3 seconds.

What?

You jump a green light by doing what many people do: start crossing the intersection when the count down timer (red to green) reaches 3 seconds.

So when the light is still on Red you mean?

This is something I never understood. Police set up roadblocks for bikers who don't wear a helmet.

If the placed a policeman at every traffic light in the country, and charged every red light jumper 100 Bht, national debt would be cleared within the first month.

You probably recall that a few years ago they did a test with 10 red light cameras for 1 month in Bangkok, and they caught 76.000 offenders in that month.

So when the light is still on Red you mean?

Starting to cross the intersection 3 seconds to go before the light reaches green. That is how you jump a green light. Happens all the time.

RIP, way too many red light jumpers and NOTHING is being done about it. The technology to detect them exists for decades and is widely used in other countries. Can't understand why not here. Charge everyone 1k THB for jumping a red light and see how the money comes in rolling. Second offence within a year and take the license away for 3 months. Third offence? Free visit to the monkeyhouse. Get these lunatics off the streets!

BTW I am confused regarding the reporting as well. Quote says 700cc and the scooter guys having only minor injuries. The article then says 800cc (it's a Z800 judging by the pic)

and says two guys were delivered to hospital in critical condition. Quote says helmet near body but article says 80 meters away from motorbike (I hope his body wasn't also 80m away from the bike...). I don't understand how reporting can get facts so wrong, nearly every time. What's the point?

This is something I never understood. Police set up roadblocks for bikers who don't wear a helmet.

If the placed a policeman at every traffic light in the country, and charged every red light jumper 100 Bht, national debt would be cleared within the first month.

You probably recall that a few years ago they did a test with 10 red light cameras for 1 month in Bangkok, and they caught 76.000 offenders in that month.

As a general rule, the cops go home at 5PM. Which mostly, I kinda like. The world has enough "too serious cops."

As for the deceased, RIP and all that, of course! But there have always been, and always will be, young people who think they are immortal, and that nothing bad will ever happen to them. They appear to learn nothing from seeing the dead bodies laying in Thai roads, covered with nothing but blood and brains. It can't happen to them, of course. They're too smart for that.

A chap came off his bike outside our office the other day - accident caused by another bike that then drove off. This chap skidded down the road on various parts of his body and probably cluncked his head a few times on the tarmac and all in busy traffic. He was unhappy but uninjured abd proceeded to dust himself off. Why? Because he a good helmet on, gloves, boots and very safe bike jacket with a back brace. Wear the right safety gear and you have a better chance of getting up than if you wear your flip flops, no helmet and a t-shirt.

Have a look at any intersection here. Some people take off before the light turns green (jumping the green) and other dont stop when red (running a red) what do you think the outcome is?

The OP doesn't have much detail, so I clicked on the link, which hasn't got much more detail.

Given all three on the Honda survive, aren't all three going to say they had a green light?

The article doesn't mention any independent witnesses, and at 1:30am in the morning, I doubt there would be more than three, reliable, and independent witnesses, to shift the weight of evidence against the guys on the Honda.

Edited by NamKangMan

The OP doesn't have much detail, so I clicked on the link, which hasn't got much more detail.

Given all three on the Honda survive, aren't all three going to say they had a green light?

The article doesn't mention any independent witnesses, and at 1:30am in the morning, I doubt there would be more than three, reliable, and independent witnesses, to shift the weight of evidence against the guys on the Honda.

They most likely have cams at the intersection.

They most likely have cams at the intersection.

I was under the belief they never work.