Is it hard to find work as a foreigner? Thinking about start a family here

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would consider raising a kid in Thailand only if the mother is Thai and able to get a job.

Otherwise you would need a guaranteed (!) income of at least 80-100k Baht pm, and chances are bad you get it.

What about the kids welfare and upbringing. Qualifications gained in Thailand are not taken seriously abroad because people know "no one fails" and all that pants

A western education and health system is a far better way to bring your kid into the world IMO

And let's not go into the awful class system here

You've got that class system in Western Europe, too.

They also have elite schools and elite universities.

Of course!

As a example, the best universities in France are free, even better, @ some of them they pay you to study (Ecole Polytechnique, ENA, etc.)!!!

And the top business schools overthere are quite cheap.

Even cheaper, top Law Schools, Uni of Medicine, etc.

However, this kind of schools take less than 10% of the applicants... so, yes, we can talk about elite!!!

Please (double) check your data before making these "statements"!

BTW, where are you graduated from?

Edited by Fab5BKK

Of course!

As a example, the best universities in France are free, even better, @ some of them they pay you to study (Ecole Polytechnique, ENA, etc.)!!!

However, this kind of schools take less than 10% of the applicants... so, yes, we can talk about elite!!!

That's not elite at all. That's taking the smartest kids

They only pay for your studies if you get stipendiates for European elite schools and universities, like from the ERASMUS program. Not many get a stipendiate though, and it's only for the tertiary level of education (ie you need a high school diploma)

Of course!

Only after they finished high school.

The selection by socio-economic classes starts before the high schoo diploma.

I'm talking about society not schools

There's a strong correlation between social class and educational level in elementary and high schools, at least in Germany.

Of course!

Only after they finished high school.

The selection by socio-economic classes starts before the high schoo diploma.

Just ridiculous!

Schools in France are mandatory and free.

The best high schools are free, as well (Lycee Louis Le Grand - Paris, as an example). The selection process is based on how smart kids are.

Yes, there's an elite... based on results! Smarter kids get access to the best schools.

Obviously, you don't have a single clue about this topic.

Of course!

I'm graduated from University of Heidelberg.

Needing a bachelors degree would be the main impediment for the OP and will severely limit his earning capacity. Even teacher's need a degree here for a work permit. Thailand is not the place to be raising kids on 20-25K a month total family income. The OP's earning potential will be higher back in Australia.

And I'm not even considering any factors relating to "how a child is raised / grows up" in a western vs Thailand scenario. There are plenty of educated westerns here who happily raise their kids in Thailand and become fluently bilingual and get decent jobs (and not just actors!)

Personally I don't want to give 45% of my salary to the Australian government, then another 30-40% paying a mortgage /utilities. No thanks.

If there's one thing that constantly irks me on this forum it's the incorrect and blanket references towards teachers - i.e. those qualified and professional teachers and those teaching in Thai schools as 'English' teachers.. Please, have a little respect and differentiate between those qualified to teach children in schools in their home countries and those not qualified to do so.

Remember some of you are paying large sums of money to have your children taught by such professionals in International schools, and not backpackers (and other assortments) flicking chalk and sick days in the Thai schools.

Personally I shudder at the thought!

If there's one thing that irks me on this forum, it's the number of people who suggest a degree and a TEFL make me unqualified to teach in The Thai system.

I agree the people teaching at the international school level are highly trained professionals. They are compensated as such and the price is dear for the parents.

But to label us in the Thai school system as "unqualified" is grossly unfair. A TEFL qualifies me to teach ESL in a language school, community college, or private institute in Canada so why isn't it good enough for me to teach ESL in a Thai high school?

The only teacher with an Education degree in my school was let go for incompetence and immoral behavior.

I'm not flicking chalk and pulling sick days at all.

Then Duane, you have my apologies. Let's be honest though, you are in the minority and most don't have the qualifications you say you have. Also, the problem I have with TEFLERS in Thai schools is that many are not just teaching English as a a foreign language but are teaching math, science etc. in English Prorammes, which they are not qualified to do as I mentioned previously. Many are not even serious English Language teachers truth be told. They are drifters, travellers and AN OTHERS just using it as a get out clause to returning home, hence degrading the reputation of the real qualified school teachers. I've met several and it's not pretty!

Do you teach just English to the Thai kids?

Needing a bachelors degree would be the main impediment for the OP and will severely limit his earning capacity. Even teacher's need a degree here for a work permit. Thailand is not the place to be raising kids on 20-25K a month total family income. The OP's earning potential will be higher back in Australia.

And I'm not even considering any factors relating to "how a child is raised / grows up" in a western vs Thailand scenario. There are plenty of educated westerns here who happily raise their kids in Thailand and become fluently bilingual and get decent jobs (and not just actors!)

Personally I don't want to give 45% of my salary to the Australian government, then another 30-40% paying a mortgage /utilities. No thanks.

If there's one thing that constantly irks me on this forum it's the incorrect and blanket references towards teachers - i.e. those qualified and professional teachers and those teaching in Thai schools as 'English' teachers.. Please, have a little respect and differentiate between those qualified to teach children in schools in their home countries and those not qualified to do so.

Remember some of you are paying large sums of money to have your children taught by such professionals in International schools, and not backpackers (and other assortments) flicking chalk and sick days in the Thai schools.

If there's one thing that irks me on this forum, it's the number of people who suggest a degree and a TEFL make me unqualified to teach in The Thai system.

I agree the people teaching at the international school level are highly trained professionals. They are compensated as such and the price is dear for the parents.

But to label us in the Thai school system as "unqualified" is grossly unfair. A TEFL qualifies me to teach ESL in a language school, community college, or private institute in Canada so why isn't it good enough for me to teach ESL in a Thai high school?

The only teacher with an Education degree in my school was let go for incompetence and immoral behavior.

Then Duane, you have my apologies. Let's be honest though, you are in the minority and most don't have the qualifications you say you have. Also, the problem I have with TEFLERS in Thai schools is that many are not just teaching English as a a foreign language but are teaching math, science etc. in English Prorammes, which they are not qualified to do as I mentioned previously. Many are not even serious English Language teachers truth be told. They are drifters, travellers and AN OTHERS just using it as a get out clause to returning home, hence degrading the reputation of the real qualified school teachers. I've met several and it's not pretty!

And can't speak Thai fluently

Luang

I appreciate the idea of a dialogue. Yes just teaching speaking and listening.

I have met more teachers like me doing just English rather than TEFLERs in Math, science etc such as needed by international schools. I've only been in the Thai school system. I admit that I wouldn't qualify at the international school level(unless I taught Fine Art).

Thankfully I've only met a couple of "drifters" but agree they are an issue.

Frankie Bear

What the hell does my ability to speak Thai fluently have to do with teaching English

An arrogant comment to say the least!

Edited by duanebigsby

Frankie Bear

What the hell does my ability to speak Thai fluently have to do with teaching English

Jesus Christ hahahahah

I am stunned at the stupidity of that reply. Teaching English to Thai kids....with out being able to speak Thai.....let that sink in

Edited by Franky Bear

So let me get this straight:

Know it all Misogynist with a Tafe degree who doesnt like women getting uppity and will outsource his kids up bringing to society wants to move to Thailand and is looking for advice.

I'll await your bitter and twisted email when you end up departing the place...

Frankie Bear

Jesus Christ hahahahah

I am stunned at the stupidity of that reply. Teaching English to Thai kids....with out being able to speak Thai.....let that sink in

It might help sure, but haven't you heard of ESOL teachers who teach English classes to students of many languages? Do you think they have to learn everyone's language before they can teach English? Too much foot in mouth on TVF

Frankie Bear

Jesus Christ hahahahah

It might help sure, but haven't you heard of ESOL teachers who teach English classes to students of many languages? Do you think they have to learn everyone's language before they can teach English? Too much foot in mouth on TVF

Oh Lord. Another one hahahahahahahah

Frankie Bear

Jesus Christ hahahahah

Oh Lord. Another one hahahahahahahah

Wow! the wider the mouth the bigger the foot. Do some research.....

Edited by Linzz

Frankie Bear

Jesus Christ hahahahah

Franky Bear

I'm sorry you're such an idiot, but Thai students need to hear English to learn English.

They don't learn much English when I speak Thai to them.

I know that's a difficult concept for you, but the more English they hear, the more English they learn.

Most teachers of ESL would never speak the native language in the classroom.

The stupidity of your reply is beyond belief, let that sink in.

Actually this side issue of teaching English to Thai's & thinking you need not know any be able to understand questions in Thai to teach English here is not only

short sighted but selfish.

Try go & learn...really learn Thai from a Thai teacher that speaks no English

Try & ask that teach why the many 100's of times you will need to ask while learning Thai.

See how far you do not get because you cannot ask a question in a language you are trying to learn but have not yet learned.

It is pure BS the English teachers here who never took anytime to learn even basic Thai & who like to claim they set a total English Immersion Environment for the kids so

no Thai spoken/allowed............

Yes that denying them the ability to ask any questions about what they are trying to learn is for their benefit.... yes? rolleyes.gif

Edited by mania

Actually this side issue of teaching English to Thai's & thinking you need not know any be able to understand questions in Thai to teach English here is not only

Try & ask that teach why the many 100's of times you will need to ask while learning Thai.

See how far you do not get because you cannot ask a question in a language you are trying to learn but have not yet learned.

It is pure BS the English teachers here who never took anytime to learn even basic Thai & who like to claim they set a total English Immersion Environment for the kids so

Yes that denying them the ability to ask any questions about what they are trying to learn is for their benefit.... yes? rolleyes.gif

First of all, I know some basic Thai and am taking tutoring in the language. Don't tell me I haven't taken time to learn even basic Thai!

When a question arises, which I can't answer in Thai, I use my best English speaking students to help the others. If that doesn't work I use my Thai English coworkers and the questions get answered.

There is constant debate as to what's better, no local language in the class or some allowed. Every ESL teacher has this debate.

I think limited Thai to explain more complex ideas should be permitted, but many people would debate that.

The fact is, on this forum I was called an idiot for not being fluent in Thai while teaching English.

That is wrong on every level.

First of all, I know some basic Thai and am taking tutoring in the language. Don't tell me I haven't taken time to learn even basic Thai!

Actually I was not speaking to nor about you.

But nice to hear you have options in your case.

I'm 35 years old

Diploma in Fitness

Certificate IV in Business & Marketing

You've got no chance pal.

Best thing is to work in Oz & settle there.

Don't fall into the 'I'm an English teacher' trap.

Before you know it you'll be screwed, no oz pension, no assets,

You get my drift?

Yeah, the dream is good but reality hurts & breaks people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankie Bear

Jesus Christ hahahahah

Franky Bear

I'm sorry you're such an idiot, but Thai students need to hear English to learn English.

I know that's a difficult concept for you, but the more English they hear, the more English they learn.

The stupidity of your reply is beyond belief, let that sink in.

I think there are cross purposes here. The mixed up quotes don't help as it's difficult to decipher who is saying what or abusing who! It's better to type below the quoted boxes rather than within them?

Sorry a bit off topic but in my experience ISL or ISOL teaching here in NZ has been very effective for my Thai kids. The teachers have been Chinese and European and cannot speak Thai. That combined with being here amounts to full immersion by reason of mixing with other immigrants from other lands and English being the default language.

The best thing you can do for your kids (if it's possible) is for them to learn English in an English speaking country and if and when they return they will get great jobs and opportunities. Notwithstanding native English teachers, learning English in Thai schools is not very effective at all because Thai teachers can't speak it well even if they can read and write English.

My Thai kids although they are very loyal to Thailand and miss it a lot, never want to return to Thai schools and this is not my opinion, this is what they say. Otherwise then it's an international school or parent do the teaching but it will be difficult because it's only by full immersion that it really works IMHO.

Cheers.

Edited by Linzz

Franky Bear

The stupidity of your reply is beyond belief, let that sink in.]

I'm an educated semi intelligent person

As as been said in this list now. Denying a child the ability to ask a question in Thai in how to say a word/phrase/sentence in English is absolutely horrific to any normal person.

I know in Scotland when we were forced to learn French the teachers were all absolutely fluent in French.

Imagine the teacher came in on that very first day and started talking in French? How would any of us have learned how to speak it.

As usual you "teachers" have all the excuses and crap in the word ready to defend yourselves. You steal a living and take huge advantage of a third world country through lies and deception.

Although I have a few good mates that are teachers they know and actually 100% agree on my feelings on this.

You are frauds

Bang on the money.

100% agreed!

Some background: 2 master degrees (Law, Business) + a post graduate. Through my life, I learnt, as foreign languages: English, German, Chinese and Thai.

I can't imagine learning any of them without the ability to ask questions.

Same for my young son. When "stuck" with one foreign language, he's back to his mother tongue.

The claim: "we provide full immersion and it's better for kids..." is just a cover up for what could be called lack of professionalism.

Edited by Fab5BKK

• 2 weeks later...