'No threats' to students' parents

Lite Beer

DAO DIN REBELS
'No threats' to students' parents
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK,
PANYA THIOSANGWAN
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- ARMY SAYS IT SIMPLY MET FAMILIES OF DAO DIN REBELS TO SEEK THEIR UNDERSTANDING; AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR 16 THAIS

SECOND Army Region Commander Lt General Thawat Sukplang denied yesterday that parents of anti-coup Dao Din students have been threatened by the military.

The denial came as students challenge the authorities to arrest them and Amnesty International launched an urgent action campaign worldwide to express support for the seven students.

Thawat said the authority contacted parents of the seven student activists in order to forge an understanding about the situation, adding that what the Dao Din student group is doing is against peace and order.

He said some parents of Dao Din students are government officials and they were reminded that what their children are doing is inappropriate given the timing and against the law. He acknowledged that some parents were troubled because they could not force their children to stop.

The Second Region Army chief added that Dao Din represents a tiny group that is trying to link with other groups and the authorities were trying to warn them. He believed villagers in Loei province in the Northeast, where the students are currently staying would understand.

The seven posted a message and a group picture on Facebook yesterday morning saying they're staying near a controversial gold mine in Loei and are ready to be arrested by |the junta but would not go to surrender.

"We are waiting for you… We're ready since yesterday and if you don't come we will start planting rice," a message posted by one of the member, Jatupat Boonpattararaksa, 23, a law student at Khon Kaen University, said. They were at Baan Nongbong, in Loei's Wang Saphung district, it said.

The group also issued a statement that they would not "beg for freedom from the National Council for Peace and Order [NCPO] or evil capitalists".

"We chose to come to Loei province because we know we will be arrested … This is where we learnt and fought along with villagers [on environmental issues related to the mine] and it's where the seven of us began to fight against injustice and social disparity," part of the statement read.

"That we are trading our freedom is to show that Thailand lacks freedom, be it inside or outside prison."

The six others, who are also Khon Kaen University students, are: Suwitcha Pitankkorn, Supachai Phukrongploy, Panuphong Sritananuwat, Wasan Setsit, Payu Boonsophon and Apiwat Soontararak.

Human rights group Amnesty International, meanwhile, launched an urgent action campaign from its London headquarters yesterday urging members worldwide to write to the Thai police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmoung to express concern that the seven, plus nine other students in Bangkok, who peacefully protested against the military, are at risk of being arrested. These 16 students could face a fine and a jail term of up to one year each. The campaign runs until the end of July.

Thawat said no decision for arrest had been made yet although the law would have to be enforced and a decision made when time comes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-threats-to-students-parents-30262746.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-21

"We're ready since yesterday and if you don't come we will start planting rice" Of course you will. After several committee meetings a local Thai will be engaged to do it!

"That we are trading our freedom is to show that Thailand lacks freedom, be it inside or outside prison."

Erm, I think you'll find the whole point of being inside a prison is you lack freedom.

Like the rice joke though, nice little dig at the ban on second crop planting. (Though the ban, because of the current water shortages, is in reality the appropriate thing to do).

Edited by Bluespunk

"Thawat said no decision for arrest had been made yet although the law would have to be enforced and a decision made when time comes"

Like anti-democrats of yore, using the judiciary to put a veneer of respectability on political actions doesn't fool anyone.

The above quote certainly is revealing in this regard.

The judicially rooted demonization campaign against Thaksin post-deposing him, and the current persecution of Yingluck to render her electorally challenged, is all linked to the electoral fear by those who believe in Democracy only when it benefits them. The fact they cannot win elections quickly dissipates any concern they had about democracy, if there ever was any in the first place.

Putting a judicial cover over this stuff as demonstrated in this article, merely feeds the notion of 'double standards' which is the persistent mantra of those on the other side of the political divide.

Too bad....It would be nice to have unflinching faith in a judiciary that serves everyone....But when it has its' roots in the Bangkok-centric elite, I suppose that is too much to expect from its' leadership.

That begs the question, how can this issue be rectified?. How does one convince one side of the political divide to change that mantra of 'double standards'....The obvious answer is not to have double standards I guess, and to be seen serving both sides of that political divide. Another way may be to compartmentalize.....Separate out political judicial stuff and shine a bright, transparent light on it by classifying decisions according to which side of the political divide they fall ....But 'sigh', that would again depend on who the classifiers are.

Edited by Bannum opinions

I sincerely hope that the rice seeds planted by this small group of protesters bear fruit and the whole peaceful anti-coup movement grows and flourishes. Its about time that these military robots realised that not everybody has the same thoughts. Outside the narrow confines of military obedience and subservience, there is a real world where people think for themselves. Respect those with differing views from your own! Cherish that difference as that is how democracy works. Agree to disagree but value everybody's opinion without taking criticism as a criminal act. You can silence voices, but you can't silence hearts and minds.

I sincerely hope that the rice seeds planted by this small group of protesters bear fruit and the whole peaceful anti-coup movement grows and flourishes. Its about time that these military robots realised that not everybody has the same thoughts. Outside the narrow confines of military obedience and subservience, there is a real world where people think for themselves. Respect those with differing views from your own! Cherish that difference as that is how democracy works. Agree to disagree but value everybody's opinion without taking criticism as a criminal act. You can silence voices, but you can't silence hearts and minds.

"Agree to disagree but value everybody's opinion without taking criticism as a criminal act."

Yeah, that is the point which drew me to comment on this article (#6 above).

Their standing up for democracy when few others are, makes them admirable.

But then to invoke a law and suggest these students are on the wrong side of it, implies criminality....A jarring implication to apply to young people I admire....A real disconnect.

As an aside, these students certainly go against the the stereotype some Thai's mentioned to me.

Considering previous student uprisings, I wondered why there were none now...I was told by a high-school teacher that the only thing Thai young people are concerned about was drinking, dancing and parties. In other words, they were too shallow to be concerned about politics.

Well, this article sure puts the lie to that.

Edited by Bannum opinions

Freedom of speech is indeed a very dangerous animal!!

Why would the paranoid junta even consider to talk to the parents of the students, who are legally adults?

If the powers had a little brain, they should just ignore the students. I am quite sure that they soon will be tired of "planting rice" !!

The students should be congratulated on their efforts , however they would be more use out of prison as they can continue to be a thorn in the side of Prayut- O and Co , one wonders why the Junta is so concerned with this lot, perhaps it interfering with their popularity polls, the junta should be cleaning up beaches, re-defining the taxi service, installing bike trails and investigating the price of Lotto, re - writing the constitution ( When not chasing Students) and not forgetting the High speed train network, the price of eggs and heaps of other things that need to be done as acting Administrators for the good people of Thailand coffee1.gif

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Amnesty International taking action because 7 students 'are at risk of being arrested' because they are daring the authorities to arrest them ?.

It stinks to high heaven of a political stunt and AI have bared their @rse in public and shown how dirty it is.

What a bunch of puerile rubbish. The people who 'think for themselves' took to the streets because of the Amnesty disgrace. Where were you ?.

And 'your' method of respecting those views was to fire grenades into innocent men, women and children to try and scare them away.

I have never in my life come across a bunch of hypocrites like red-shirts. Try to have a little dignity.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Amnesty International taking action because 7 students 'are at risk of being arrested' because they are daring the authorities to arrest them ?.

It stinks to high heaven of a political stunt and AI have bared their @rse in public and shown how dirty it is.

Of course it is a political stunt. How else would you suggest they draw attention to their cause?

Looks like young communist !

Law students too, who know doubt know more about Thai Law than most that post here!!

Communists or not, they have a vote on Thailand's future.... do you?

Come on Fatty, give us a break. You have a go at us for commenting on all things political because we don't have the right to vote, so they may as well shut the Thailand News section of the forum down because it is 90% political.

What do you want us to talk about, som-tum ? whistling.gif

What a bunch of puerile rubbish. The people who 'think for themselves' took to the streets because of the Amnesty disgrace. Where were you ?.

And 'your' method of respecting those views was to fire grenades into innocent men, women and children to try and scare them away.

I have never in my life come across a bunch of hypocrites like red-shirts. Try to have a little dignity.

Excuse me, but where is there any mention of the colour of anyone's shirt? And just for the record, I have never fired any kind of weapon in my life!

Thank you so much for your comments, they actually prove the point I am trying to make. I.e. there is no respect for other peoples' points of view!

One doesn't have to be vitriolic or show contempt towards others who have differing opinions. Nor does one have to polarise into complete opposite sides of the spectrum. There are always shades of grey in any political campaign. No one party's policies will be 100% approved by its' followers.

"Looks like", by which you mean you have no evidence that they actually are, but you want to smear them anyway.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be a smear rolleyes.gif

Erm, I think you'll find the whole point of being inside a prison is you lack freedom.

Like the rice joke though, nice little dig at the ban on second crop planting. (Though the ban, because of the current water shortages, is in reality the appropriate thing to do).

Try having a look at the map, the recommendation to delay planting is for the lower Chao Phraya basin and does not cover Loei.

Possibly when these so called students get a bit older they will learn that pissing into the wind only serves to get their pants wet.

I suspect that most of the parents these students (who should be in class) will be quite dismayed that the money they have spent on their children's education is now wasted.

Edited by Robby nz

This is sadly just the beginning of the unrest that will grow every day until elections are restored. The governing body had an entire year to draft a Charter, and where are we? Waiting for a referendum which will be all-or-nothing and ensure the junta stays until...well, things happen no one can talk about.

There were only three issues that needed being addressed in the Charter. Midnight votes (they abusively do that in UK and US, too), a majority having dictatorial powers (which a Supermajority requirement for certain issues to be voted on, being 75%, can fix quite readily). And corruption in the military and police. The police issue is being carefully addressed, but the military...well, that's just too hard. whistling.gif

Smirk. These yahoos are not just creating martyrs, they are encouraging others to martyr themselves....

That's why no arrests. They can move anytime they want, but copy cats will start popping up like popcorn kernels in a hot pan. And then add international pressure to that...

It's okay, Thailand will trundle along quite nicely in any event. I just hope they are very careful about furthering the divide with elite populist policies....

Oh, and I aan't wait for Suthep and Isaara to be appointed Senators....(yes, it is coming, of course). thumbsup.gif

Law students too, who know doubt know more about Thai Law than most that post here!!

Communists or not, they have a vote on Thailand's future.... do you?

Come on Fatty, give us a break. You have a go at us for commenting on all things political because we don't have the right to vote, so they may as well shut the Thailand News section of the forum down because it is 90% political.

What do you want us to talk about, som-tum ? whistling.gif

Som tam Thai or Som Tam Laos( with the rotten fish and crab)?

Mate, I think you know full well what I'm getting at, I also don't buy this but my kids stuff as a reason to get involved, my kids in the UK who can vote are NOT influenced by me , they make all their own choices in life.

Slagging off educated law students who have rhe right just seems like sour grapes, I have no intention of trying to interfere in what politics my family follow and I binned friends off Facebook after the last Scottish referendum and the General election for trying to impose their views on me, when people start calling you traitor and not a real Scotsman just because I wouldn't fall in with their opinions saddens me, and I see that here in barrow loads.

Thai politics are interesting for what goes on behind the scenes the blame for corruption is laughable as it's as old as the country itself just the levels it went to differed.

Try having a look at the map, the recommendation to delay planting is for the lower Chao Phraya basin and does not cover Loei.

Possibly when these so called students get a bit older they will learn that pissing into the wind only serves to get their pants wet.

I suspect that most of the parents these students (who should be in class) will be quite dismayed that the money they have spent on their children's education is now wasted.

None the less it was still a clever dig.

The students may be wrong but they should be allowed to express their views.

Edited by Bluespunk

"they were reminded that what their children are doing is inappropriate given the timing and against the law."

One must obey the Rule of Law - maybe the Junta should go first.

Organic Law, Article 113 of the Criminal Code states that anybody who commits treason by overthrowing the country's constitution faces the maximum penalty of death.

2007 Constitution, Part 13, “Right to Protect the Constitution,” Article 68 states, “No person shall exercise the rights and liberties prescribed in the Constitution to overthrow the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State under this Constitution or to acquire the power to rule the country by any means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution. “