Opinion: The changing face of Phuket’s tourism industry

Lite Beer

Knowing that WESTERN EUROPE includes Scandinavia and UK then almost 40% vote for preferred customers from there. This is the highest percentage by far. But the government is ignorant as ever, simply soldiers...what can you expect?

Off topic post removed.

Also:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Every year this old chestnut gets brought out. NKM do you have any hard facts on this, or are you just reading the news reports online? In this day and age, news gets brought to the attention of everyone unlike in years past when it was suppressed or not reported.---steelepulse

Your right steelepulse--& also correct that NKM wont be posting any facts to back up his secret info from his bar----there isn't any, but still the doomsayers live in hope.

For now, many countries are reaping the benefits. According to Brand USA, a tourism initiative launched by the American government, the average Chinese tourist spent $5,400 during their trip to the U.S., outspending other international tourists by 21 percent. http://www.ibtimes.com/chinese-tourists-break-spending-records-abroad-inbound-tourism-falls-1798196

And so it is with any other country you would like to Google---I didn't put the Thailand figures here (as I have done before) because I was told they are all part of a secret plot by TAT & the Thai Government. So I put the USA figures--but who knows maybe their in on the plot as well--, get NKM to ask at his local bar. Chinese tourist don't spend where you spend....(you would think that would make most bar fly's happy.) but they do spend more than you spend--fact

It's a well known fact that during harsh economic conditions, particularly high unemploymnet, crime rates rise.

This was clearly evident during the GFC.

There is plenty of information on the correlation between economic conditions, and crime rates, should you care to Google.

Here is a random report from The UN. Note the last paragraph, Thailand was actually part of the study.

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/frontpage/2012/February/economic-crises-can-trigger-rise-in-crime.html

I have stated previously that we are heading into "The Phuket Financial Crisis."

As another member mentions, I also expect to see a sharp rise in crime on Phuket in the future, not to mention the rampant drug abuse here.

Edited by NamKangMan

The Chinese will implement their very own shops, hotels, tour operations, buses, mafia structures, etc. and Thailand will not get a penny from their so called "quality tourists" as soon as all is in place.

Just as the Koreans have done in the Philippines.

Edited by cruisemonkey

The Chinese tourists only benefit a very few big businessmen plus those who work & get commissions form the latex/jewellery type emporiums. The hotels & resorts have to shave prices to a bare minimum plus pay commissions in order to have the dubious pleasure of the loud & stingy Chinese stay at their establishments. All the others at street level derive virtually zero from the hordes of Chinese plying our roads in large buses.

It's not a case of Thailand doing things wrong to bring about a European decline , the Euro decline is caused by the recession in Europe the one that does not exist, the riots in Spain Greece, France, England, Germany etc. the huge unemployment problem in Europe, the possible default of Greece and exit from the Euro, I think that's the European decline.

The Chinese however will flood in as the figures show, having worked in the tourist industry in NZ I know first hand that the Chinese wrought their own.

They take the tours to pre arranged places and they push them into shopping that's all controlled and overcharged by them.

They used to kick back the bus drivers a commission to avoid and detour places where the tourists could see NZ tourist shops.

They would wrought us on commissions then took over most tourist buses themselves.

They controlled every place the tours went, and that was in clean and green NZ.

They even charged their groups to go into free venues such as National forests and farm tours.

They know no shame and in a few years Thailand will be doomed.

No wonder many expats are packing up and leaving.

Sorry to say this most of you know this, it wont be the same in five years.

Your right in what you say the street level (that is not controlled by them) receive ZILCH _Thailand nationals ZILCH, ZERO, NADA NOTHING

Result-- Thailand National and country 0 Corrupt officials Plenty.

There is still a lot of Thailand to like and I will end up finishing my life here but unfortunately Phuket is not a place that I would ever settle in nor return for a visit. Much of what the posters say is true. A complete lack of long term planning due to greed, It is way over developed. And Pattaya is becoming much the same. However, it appears there are enough Chinese in the World who will provide a steady stream of visitors to both places but I do not believe this will be enough to sustain a general increase in incomes for a large majority of those that live or work in either place. Thailand is becoming more expensive for both expats and local people. What we are seeing and will continue to see is the wealthy become more wealthy and the middle and lower classes become less. Lower income Chinese come to both places- the higher income Chinese go to Europe or the United States. Thailand needs a long term strategy for their whole country to include tourism. It will take a miracle for it to occur.

The Chinese tourists only benefit a very few big businessmen plus those who work & get commissions form the latex/jewellery type emporiums. The hotels & resorts have to shave prices to a bare minimum plus pay commissions in order to have the dubious pleasure of the loud & stingy Chinese stay at their establishments. All the others at street level derive virtually zero from the hordes of Chinese plying our roads in large buses.

It's not a case of Thailand doing things wrong to bring about a European decline , the Euro decline is caused by the recession in Europe the one that does not exist, the riots in Spain Greece, France, England, Germany etc. the huge unemployment problem in Europe, the possible default of Greece and exit from the Euro, I think that's the European decline.

The Chinese however will flood in as the figures show, having worked in the tourist industry in NZ I know first hand that the Chinese wrought their own.

They take the tours to pre arranged places and they push them into shopping that's all controlled and overcharged by them.

They used to kick back the bus drivers a commission to avoid and detour places where the tourists could see NZ tourist shops.

They would wrought us on commissions then took over most tourist buses themselves.

They controlled every place the tours went, and that was in clean and green NZ.

They even charged their groups to go into free venues such as National forests and farm tours.

They know no shame and in a few years Thailand will be doomed.

No wonder many expats are packing up and leaving.

Sorry to say this most of you know this, it wont be the same in five years.

Your right in what you say the street level (that is not controlled by them) receive ZILCH _Thailand nationals ZILCH, ZERO, NADA NOTHING

Result-- Thailand National and country 0 Corrupt officials Plenty.

"It's not a case of Thailand doing things wrong to bring about a European decline" - really?

Perhaps you could tell us what Thailand is actually doing right. Especially considering they don't even have a democratically elected Government at the moment, and do not appear to be holding elections anytime soon.

At the provincial level, and I have asked this question a few times before, and yet to receive an answer:

"Name one positive thing that has been implemented on Phuket to the benefit of tourists, in recent times?"

I believe it is true that the Chinese tourists visiting Thailand are far removed from the ones visiting the USA and Europe. Thailand is a cheap option on many levels. As far as Thailand losing out on Western tourists is concerned you should add Myanmar to list of alternative destinations. Once they have put the infrastructure in and built all the five star hotels it will be a significant death nail for Thailand's tourist industry.

The writing has been on the wall for quite a while and with the Thai peoples attitude of grab it now and let's not worry about tomorrow along with the accelerating crime rate it's a dismal vision for the future

I believe it is true that the Chinese tourists visiting Thailand are far removed from the ones visiting the USA and Europe. Thailand is a cheap option on many levels. As far as Thailand losing out on Western tourists is concerned you should add Myanmar to list of alternative destinations. Once they have put the infrastructure in and built all the five star hotels it will be a significant death nail for Thailand's tourist industry.

The writing has been on the wall for quite a while and with the Thai peoples attitude of grab it now and let's not worry about tomorrow along with the accelerating crime rate it's a dismal vision for the future

Myanmar's infastructure for tourism is a long way off, but yes, in the future, they will be competing.

In my opinion, Vietnam is Thailand's current major competitor in the region.

I'm no expert on Thai tourism, but I do know a fair amount on the socio-cultural aspects of northeast Asians. When the Koreans (and to a degree the Japanese) first started to travel outside, group tourism was everything, and it still is, depending on the destination. As experience, knowledge and comfort increased, group orientation decreased - but also destinations changed. I suspect that as the Phuket experience saturates, the Chinese will head toward other places, or less will come but those that do will be a different kind of tourist, much as the Koreans are more families and couples

Anyone notice that the Chinese listen at a volume of 2 and speak, ( shout ), at a volume of 10 ? I still recall

in the US at my local Chinee carryout, ( to dirty to eat there ),the little women, behind the sliding window hiding the kitchen/kennel, saying WHATCHUWAN ? They don't need phones as their voice carries 2 continents !