Protein powder for children

scorecard

This post on behalf of a Thai neighbor who doesn't speak English.

Neighbor has one child 10 years old, very healthy and fit, very intelligent well behaved kid, well balanced pleasant personality, regularly plays many sports.

Kid eats all day, eats enormous quantities of food including all the right food groups, lots of healthy snacks, lots of fruit and he drinks maybe 5 or 6 bigger size boxes of plain milk per day and plenty of water.

The problem (as the neighbor sees it) the child is extremely thin and the kid is very self conscious about it. Kid loves to swim and is a good swimmer and he swims several times a week at a swimming club, he wants to try to be a professional swimmer but swims with long basic sports shorts and long sleeved t shirt because so self conscious about thinness. Child is correct height for age and growing taller quickly, feet are appropriate size for height.

The father has been to 2 doctors (local clinics) and 1 CM hospital to seek some advice about how to build the child's bulk. The advice they received:

- Don't worry about it.

- Buy protein supplements from a health food shop (same as sold for adults) and give the child big quantities. Father asked the doctor to give more details but doctor changed the subject seeming to indicate that the doctors knowledge was limited.

- Give him more food (not realistic, the child already eats like a horse, as mentioned above).

The father went to a professional looking health food shop in one of the newer malls, they did have several brands of protein powders, and lots of brochures about the protein powders all featuring adult body builders. Fathers says he quickly realized the staff had no knowledge whatever about the products, just kept telling him to read the brochures.

Here's the question; any TV members have any professional knowledge of these powders and whether they are suitable / safe for a 10 year old child?

Also, are these protein powders suitable for male and female or are there different formulations for male and female?

Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion after it is sure he cant eat more the proteins are safe. (its a supplement should not be the first thing is done).

However one should not forget that there is such a thing as genetics, just eating more protein won't make anyone muscular. (not even kids).

If he wants to gain some weight just buy some protein from clubprotein (not too expensive). Mix it with some oats and cacao in a blender and let him drink it. This will work because one can drink food easier as eating it. This will help to gain weight but it won't make him muscular just fatter (i take it that is the reason to do it). You might even want to add some flaxseed oil (fats that are healthy and will help gain weight)

As a person that has done weight training since I was in my very early twenties (forty one now) I can safely say that the idea is preposterous!!!! I have never done anything other than maintain a healthy diet including proteins, which come in the form of MEAT/EGGS etc!!! I have had periods when I was pretty bulky...because I upped the amount of weight I was lifting...that's all, I also ended up eating more as well, because that's what my body told me to do!

A ten year old boy is supposed to be lanky. Giving a kid that age protein supplements should only be done if there is a REAL need for it, as in he really has a deficiency of some kind that has been found by a competent medical practitioner. Its not unheard of for a child of that age to start some form of strength training, but care needs to be taken, bones are still growing. I have a seven year old son and he asked me about doing weight training, he is showing interest. I told him to wait. If he is still interested when his balls drop......then I will perhaps, start him very very slowly on it. I WONT be filling him full of supplements. I WILL be filling him full of meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and loads of water!!!

If this kid has a real problem then he probably needs meds not body building powder from Uncle Somchai the snake oil salesman.

Good clean Wholesome food is always better than a supplement...i.e Protein powder.

Protein powder has it's place especially for Body Builders --as it is adsorbed into the system quickly, after they have trained hard.

IMO I think that he should eat as much real food as you he can. He will fill out with age-especially if they can get him interested in going to a gym--or a sport.

Being lean seems to be the least of most peoples worries on this forum...........

I don't have any professional knowledge (and do wonder if your going to find any it here) but that won't me from commenting.

The kids in a stage of his life that he's growing at his bodies natural rate. Adding processed food suppliments does not seem necessary. I lift weights and have never used them and battle with getting too big. Genetics as robblok says. Think of those real tall NBA players who are thin as a nail and strong as a horse.

As you say this is not an issue of health, which is important, but one of vanity. Sure he might have some peer pressure like we all did about something, I was real short, but we lived to tell about and many of us enjoyed a happy and healthy life.

Feed him and kick him out of the house to play like I do with my 10 yr old Thai kid (who happens to be very small but I taught him mental toughness and now on the football pitch he's a little force to be dealt with)

I think the point was he could not eat any more food because of appetite. In that case drinking a protein shake with oats and cacao would be an option as drinking overrules the appetite reflex. Of course eating healthy normal foods is more important as some protein powder shake.

But this might help him get fatter.. not more muscular. So it really depends on the situation. i don't see a health risk here in adding a protein shake.

I am also not saying that this is the right thing to do as I agree with people here that some kids are just like that and it will probably get better later. But I don't see much harm in it. It certainly is healthier as letting him stuff his face with junkfood.

The body just gets rid of excess protein. There is a limit to how much protein the body utilizes, and the rest is just a waste.

People can get enough protein with just their regular intake of eggs, fish, meats, beans, etc.

Supplements are expensive...and not needed....if you are referring to those hyped up cans of protein/amino acids advertised for body builders. Protein bars are ok...

This helps explain... http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/printer.php

By the way...lean and mean is the way to go. Lighter on the feet, clothes fit properly...etc. I pumped myself up...and my body mass was big enough....but now that I am sixty.....I find it hard to trim down...the way I should. Looking back...I would have preferred to have kept my 16 year old, leaner body..throughout my life.

Feed the kid more calories. Hardly any calories in vegetables, few in fruits, same with proteins regardless of source. Fats and oils is the route to take. My suggestion is good quality ice cream in many shapes and forms, like fruit shakes, mix with mangoes, ice cream on the breakfast oats. Also highly recommended would be peanut butter, almond butter, etc. Try Nutella for taste and calories. All these are decent foods for kids. Avoid pasteries, cookies and baked good as these are high starch and sugar, thus not so good. Avoid also processed meats like cold cuts and sausages due to preservatives and salt content. Sure, meat is ok and i'd go with chicken, fish, pork. Seldom beef and never sheep/lamb. Eggs good too for protein but kid needs the calories to gain mass.

All these food have too many calories for adults however.

Feed the kid more calories. Hardly any calories in vegetables, few in fruits, same with proteins regardless of source. Fats and oils is the route to take. My suggestion is good quality ice cream in many shapes and forms, like fruit shakes, mix with mangoes, ice cream on the breakfast oats. Also highly recommended would be peanut butter, almond butter, etc. Try Nutella for taste and calories. All these are decent foods for kids. Avoid pasteries, cookies and baked good as these are high starch and sugar, thus not so good. Avoid also processed meats like cold cuts and sausages due to preservatives and salt content. Sure, meat is ok and i'd go with chicken, fish, pork. Seldom beef and never sheep/lamb. Eggs good too for protein but kid needs the calories to gain mass.

All these food have too many calories for adults however.

Suggesting a kid eats more processed foods rather than fresh fruits and vegetables is just plain ridiculous.

There are plenty of calories in fruit n veg. And micro nutrients that a young human needs far more to keep healthy rather than processed carbs full of who knows what.

I think people are missing the point. The OP said "The problem (as the neighbor sees it) the child is extremely thin and the kid is very self conscious about it."

The doctor said "Don't worry about it"

The kid is already worried about it. The parents should not then fuel his concern by buying into it. As he's not hungry they should help by discussing his self consciousness by explaining such things as how the body develops and that each person is different etc.

Maybe the parents need this explained to them too and that the health of their son is paramount especially if he wants to become a professional athlete, as stated, not a model.

It's a bit over the top to try to compete at a high level wearing a long sleeve T-shirt, to prioritize and a dose of reality is what he needs.

He's 10! It just all doesn't add up.

You should NOT feerk around with a kids development. His body is still sorting out internal and external stuff. Healthy diet is the key to get there. When developed at a much later age stuff can enhance build. Protein is to help repair muscle after muscle "damage" via exertion, weights. In a kid normal food can do that via eggs and chicken. Reduce sugar and salt. Fast food.

+1 agree.. Im a protein powder junkie.. heck i got a belly full of it now.

but a 10 yr old kid. Id be more worried bout him filling up on that instead of real food.

I know when I have a big shake before dinner the wife gets pissed off that ive lost my appetite.

In summary: TOO YOUNG!

I think people are missing the point. The OP said "The problem (as the neighbor sees it) the child is extremely thin and the kid is very self conscious about it."

The doctor said "Don't worry about it"

The kid is already worried about it. The parents should not then fuel his concern by buying into it. As he's not hungry they should help by discussing his self consciousness by explaining such things as how the body develops and that each person is different etc.

Maybe the parents need this explained to them too and that the health of their son is paramount especially if he wants to become a professional athlete, as stated, not a model.

It's a bit over the top to try to compete at a high level wearing a long sleeve T-shirt, to prioritize and a dose of reality is what he needs.

He's 10! It just all doesn't add up.

I understand your point, though I don't see the problem of adding a bit of extra protein and oats for a young kid. Especially if he is extremely thin, it is at least better as feeding him junk food. So I dont see the problem and if it helps the kid then ok.

Think people see protein powders as something dangerous.. its not.. if its too much the body excretes it. Personally I would go for some healthy fats like flax seed oil. I think feeding him extra this way is better as in other ways.

But this only the case if the child really cannot eat anymore and there is no alternative.

I'm in agreement that a protein powder isn't going to do major damage nor did I say that.

I don't think with what he already eats it will make much of a difference, if any, as how much of it can he consume after what he already eats.

My point again in there is an alternative, as it's a mental problem treat it as such.

Of course no matter what one says to him he'll probably still feel the same just like all the stories of awkward young women who end up as super models.

It's a phase that he'll grow out of or not, like myself who was still shorter then most men until I moved to Thailand smile.png

It could be much worse with a real physical disformity or health issue. I'm not psychologist but if it was my kid I would take him to see kids with real problems to put in perspective.

A opportunity to teach one's off spring an important life lesson like this shouldn't be missed.

"Kid eats all day, eats enormous quantities of food including all the right food groups, lots of healthy snacks, lots of fruit and he drinks maybe 5 or 6 bigger size boxes of plain milk per day and plenty of water."

Milk in boxes is Soy Milk, no nutritional value to growing children at all.

MeiJi, ChocChai or children's milk powder is what he needs.

Add Transam's idea of plenty of eggs, and you can't do much more.

Not that you can really change a kids body shape. The active ones just run around more when they get more food.

"Kid eats all day, eats enormous quantities of food including all the right food groups, lots of healthy snacks, lots of fruit and he drinks maybe 5 or 6 bigger size boxes of plain milk per day and plenty of water."

Milk in boxes is Soy Milk, no nutritional value to growing children at all.

MeiJi, ChocChai or children's milk powder is what he needs.

Add Transam's idea of plenty of eggs, and you can't do much more.

Not that you can really change a kids body shape. The active ones just run around more when they get more food.

There is milk in boxes sold here, looks just like the soy milk but has a picture of a cow often instead of soybeans.

There is milk in boxes sold here, looks just like the soy milk but has a picture of a cow often instead of soybeans.

Yeah, but Thais generally assume they are the same product, Cow Milk and Soy Milk.

As OP didn't specify, I'm betting the milk they were buying is Soy Milk.

I had to sit my wife down and explain the difference to her a few weeks back, and she's a farm girl.

(she switched our kid from powdered cow milk to boxed soy milk then wondered why he suddenly lost weight)

Yeah, but Thais generally assume they are the same product, Cow Milk and Soy Milk.

As OP didn't specify, I'm betting the milk they were buying is Soy Milk.

I had to sit my wife down and explain the difference to her a few weeks back, and she's a farm girl.

(she switched our kid from powdered cow milk to boxed soy milk then wondered why he suddenly lost weight)

Yeah I stopped buying the soy product after reading about it.

You assume soy milk and I assume cow since the OP said "plain milk" and plain soy isn't very tasty.

But you know what they say about when you assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME tongue.png

"If he wants to gain some weight just buy some protein from clubprotein (not too expensive)."

Absolutely the worst advice ever. This is a 10year old child. It is never healthy to give a child supplements like protein. A healthy balanced diet and exercise are the only things that developing children need. There is a natural course of development and you shouldn't mess with it. The child might always be lean and fit. Forcing one's body to be a different type to fit some mental image is clearly abuse especially for a child. Children shouldn't also be forced into strict diets unless carefully supervised by a physician and usually not done unless the child is severely obese. Because the father of the child is worried, the child is going to be more self conscious

Building the child's self esteem rather than playing into insecurities of body image will help him even more.

Do you know what happens to most body builders when they are older? I really would never take advice about health from a body builder. Go as an osteopath some day how many patients he/she has that were body builders in their 20-30's that are now suffering from knees, spinal and pelvic injuries.

"If he wants to gain some weight just buy some protein from clubprotein (not too expensive)."

Absolutely the worst advice ever. This is a 10year old child. It is never healthy to give a child supplements like protein. A healthy balanced diet and exercise are the only things that developing children need. There is a natural course of development and you shouldn't mess with it. The child might always be lean and fit. Forcing one's body to be a different type to fit some mental image is clearly abuse especially for a child. Children shouldn't also be forced into strict diets unless carefully supervised by a physician and usually not done unless the child is severely obese. Because the father of the child is worried, the child is going to be more self conscious

Building the child's self esteem rather than playing into insecurities of body image will help him even more.

Do you know what happens to most body builders when they are older? I really would never take advice about health from a body builder. Go as an osteopath some day how many patients he/she has that were body builders in their 20-30's that are now suffering from knees, spinal and pelvic injuries.

I did not give advice as a bodybuilder, I gave advice on protein. But I never suggested that the kid should start training at 10 yo. Maybe you should see a doctor and check your eyes.

I don't see the problem in giving a kid some protein in THIS situation. The kid has a problem and this might help. I would try it before shooting it down. Could you please tell me if adding some protein is better or worse combined to eating fast food and junk food in order to gain weight ?.

The kid has a problem, gaining some weight might help him. I don't see why it can't be tried and I don't see the harm in taking a protein shake. its not poison and a whole lot better as what most people eat. The kid himself wanted this and as stated in the OP could not eat anymore healthy food. So this is just a supplement. (what it is supposed to be not a replacement for something, first get your normal food right then take supplements if you want).

And would you be against it as much if they made him eat even more ? Think protein powder sets off some red flags to some people.

As for your comments about bodybuilders, some have injuries some have not. I don't but if you look at any sports there is the risk to injury and many sports are far more dangerous as bodybuilding. Just look at soccer for instance or tennis. I also don't see the relevance to the topic as it was about protein. Seems most people are a bit insecure about bodybuilders (why else bring it up), if you want to solve that problem just take care of your body and you might look better yourself too.

"I don't see the problem in giving a kid some protein in THIS situation. The kid has a problem and this might help. I would try it before shooting it down. Could you please tell me if adding some protein is better or worse combined to eating fast food and junk food in order to gain weight ?."

Your only two options are eat protein powders or crappy unhealthy food? What about let the kid be and support him with love and kindness not shaming him that he isn't a muscle builder at 10.

"The kid has a problem,"

No the kid doesn't have a problem. You do and so does the father worrying about the kids weight at 10 years old.

Yes, the OP stated that the child too was insecure and wanted something different. However, the parent in the OP was the one that was "worried". I wanted to be taller when I was 10 and have brown hair so I would look the same as everyone else until my parents talked to me and made me feel proud of who I was.

The problem is that at 10 years old a child doesn't need to have body image issues. A parent worried that their kid is too skinny, short, fat, etc just creates issues until the child feels that way as well. Maintaining a healthy perception of one's body image will do a lot more than some protein.

The fact is that this kid is a normal 10 year old with a body shape unique to him, why should a 10 year old need to bulk up? It is clearly better not to listed to advice on how to bulk up from key board warriors and listen to doctors. Read any western journal of medicine about giving pre adolescent children body supplements. You ask what is wrong with it? Just read the studies. There is a lot wrong with it both physically and psychologically.

The funny thing about this, my daughter was just asking me about muscles and if woman can be as strong as men. We looked at pictures of body builders and her reaction was shock and disgust. She couldn't believe that their veins were all popping out. "Why do they look like monsters" We then looked at pictures of gymnasts and other athletes that had proportionate bodies and were very fit.

"Seems most people are a bit insecure about bodybuilders (why else bring it up), if you want to solve that problem just take care of your body and you might look better yourself too."

LOL. calling me insecure and then you judge my appearance or health without ever meeting me. LOL What a farce. How would you know how healthy I am or how often I exercise. You know nothing about me but make statements like that.

The kid himself wears long sleeves during swimming, he obviously feels he has a problem and want a solution. Finding a good psychiatrist (if you believe in them) is almost impossible here. The parents have tried to talk to the kid already, it did not work. So you rather have the kid suffer then to try to solve the situation.

Please post some links of your research as links prove things and I love scientific links and read them quite often in relation to foods, diets training and such. So please give me some pubmed links to your claims on protein powder and young kids. Also explain to me how those milk formulas for babies and such with added proteins are any different.

I agree that a kid does need those issues, however they are there as the OP (if you had read it correctly) proves. The child himself feels so ashamed he goes with long sleeves swimming. Then not doing anything as a parent is cruel. (psychiatrist are hard to find here if they even work)

As for your daughters comments I can only agree with her, as those bodies are not good looking at all. Also one needs to understand all those veins and such is just when they compete and are at a super low bodyfat. (still does not make it look good) In normal life they look a bit better (still to huge in my opinion). I like gymnasts and so on body-style. However i got there by doing bodybuilding and the sport is still called that. But I was not the one bringing it up.

Your right I don't know how you look but you seem to have an obsession with bodybuilders bringing it up in a topic where it is not even mentioned.

But for now I am waiting for your pubmed data to support your claims (pubmed on protein powders and children). So please post some links so i can read through them and see if you were right or posting BS. You claim something please show supporting evidence.

"Also explain to me how those milk formulas for babies and such with added proteins are any different."

You really just stepped into the deep pit of ignorance. Do I really have to tell you that milk formulas aren't healthy? Are you really that ignorant. Yes, they are better than nothing but please do some basic research before making the most ridiculous comparisons.

Why should I go do a search for you. Just search yourself if you are so interested but it is clear that you are not. You only find things that reinforce your belief in projecting a certain body image. just type in pub med adolescence proteins supplements you will see thousands of articles . Also on the back of every single supplement it recommends to see a doctor before using and most of them have recommendations to be 18. Why is that?

Ok I spent 15 seconds and did it for you...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16160543

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jped/v85n4/en_v85n4a04.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722611/

but you probably won't read them nor will you believe what doctors are telling you. Personally I don't give a rats ass what adults do to their bodies but children don't need to use supplements to alter their body type.

"Then not doing anything as a parent is cruel."

Who said do nothing. I said build the kids self esteem. Not instill this garbage in them in the first place. To be honest you seem like the same type of person as the parents in the OP. They are to blame for the child's insecurities. Not the child nor his peers. Who the hell is talking about psychologists. I am talking about being a decent parent and giving your kids a healthy sense of their own body image without corrupting them and encouraging them to change their body type at 10.

Also how do you know the child doesn't wear long sleeves to keep from getting dark skin like every other swimmer and trainer here that is in the pool all day.

"Your right I don't know how you look but you seem to have an obsession with bodybuilders bringing it up in a topic where it is not even mentioned."

Obsession!!! I mentioned it once because you gave bad advice and are a body builder. Yes, I do have some problems with body builders. My best friend in High school was a very competitive body builder and one many competitions for his weight. His obsession not mine, caused his cancer and almost killed him. He then went to college and eventually became a doctor and does a lot of research trying to help people avoid the dark side of competitive body building.

I agree with many of the comments already made here.

It's probably the case that the kid (like many kids at that age) just has a fast metabolism. I'm not sure supplementing with protein (or anything else for that matter) is suitable for kids anyway.

Much better to get a healthy/balanced diet.

If it was my kid I'd take them to the doctors to check for worms or something similar and then go from there.

With regards to weight training, even though I am a huge advocate of the benefits of strength training, my personal opinion is that 10 years old is too young to start weight training as the body isn't sufficiently developed.

However, I would say that teaching the kid how to do a proper push up, pull up, body weight squat, lunges and other calisthenic movements could be beneficial and would give him a great foundation of strength if he ever wanted to take up weight training in his mid to late teens.

I also think that at this early stage, it's important for kids to be active and healthy, but at the same time they need to have fun. Is it an option for the kid in question to join a local Muay Thai or martial arts group or even take part in sports such as soccer or athletics?

Archived