Protein powder for children

scorecard

If you're an adult who's working out to build muscle and trying to fit in five or six meals per day, protein powder is practically essential as it's easily digested (especially hydrolyzed protein, which is what I use before and after a workout as it's metabolized in under 40 minutes), allowing you to take in and digest large amounts of protein in the 16 or so hours you're awake everyday (it's almost impossible to digest five or six full meals- I count a protein shake as a 'meal').

This isn't recommended for children, though, except in cases of kids who suffer from ADHD, where research has shown a high-protein diet helps their concentration levels.

As others have said, trying to introduce more calorie-dense whole foods into this child's diet is a better option.

I was rail-thin until my mid-twenties, but eventually added muscle to my frame through exercise and diet (that included protein supplements)- unless this child has been diagnosed with a specific medical condition, don't try anything unusual without a doctor's recommendation.

I agree with the introduction of more caloric dense foods as that is the first thing that should be tried. However I posted under the assumption that that was tried because it said in the OP appetite was a problem. Personally I would always go for foods first as powders are a supplement and last resort.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"This is the last I am going to argue with you because you don't come up with real facts. Im done here.

You know your hypocrite ? first attacking me on saying I dont know a thing about you and now stating I am a 110 kg obese muscle guy."

"Your totally crazy, we are talking here about adding some weight to a kid":

So who is the liar now. You said that you are done and now you are starting another argument. Do you just have to get the last word?

"Your hatred of bodybuilders is getting the best of you."

FYI I was a competitive weight lifter and ranked in the top 10 in the 2000 US open for my weight division.

What I have a problem with is ignorant unlicensed people advocating supplements to per-adolescence.

"Just to show the world how much you lie, you said baby formula is unsafe and not checked by the fda"

I lie, yet you changed my words. Please quote where I said unsafe? I said not healthy. I didn't say unsafe, perhaps reading carefully and not twisting the words around might make you less of an aggressive poster. Most pediatricians agree that powdered milk is a last option as it is better than nothing. It isn't a healthy choice though. Also the miniscule amounts of additives in the milk aren't the same as putting a per-adolescent on protein supplements.

"Calling adding a few kilos of fat to a skinny boy changing his body type. We are not talking of turning a skinny kid into a fat one. Just a bit more meat on the bones."

Actually most people refer to bulking up to imply adding muscle and not fat. What you are talking about is giving medical advice on weight gain and muscle building to a per-adolescent

"The fact is that protein from whey is the same as other proteins the body does not metabolize it any different then other proteins. And protein does no harm in the body. (unless your going to extremes but nobody was advocating this)."

Actually what you are advocating is giving an unregulated substance to increase a kids body mass and since these supplements are for adults and not Pr-adolescents, how do you know what will happen?

STOP giving medical advice as you are not a doctor nor educated on the physiology of developing children. Recommending any supplement to a young child is just plain irresponsible.

I don't see how you cannot see the difference between adults and developing children.

I am still waiting for an apology for calling me a hypocrite, but I won't hold my breath. It is clear that you are neither educated nor a nice person.

"You said baby-milk is not checked, maybe not in your country but it was in mine."

I said regulated and you are correct I am wrong. I wrongfully assumed it wasn't controlled because of the many hazards and additives that have been found. There was an ecoli outbreak as well as many other serious problems from powdered milk. The FDA until recently though 2014 didn't regulate the industry with strong enough protocols. If you read further on the link, you might have noticed a lot of amendments over the years. But I suspect that you didn't actually read anything other than just to show a link that I was wrong about it not being regulated.

However, the topic really isn't formula. You used it as an example and I was just showing you that just because it isn't harmful in small doses doesn't mean that it is actually doing anything to help babies.

"You said baby-milk is not checked, maybe not in your country but it was in mine."

I said regulated and you are correct I am wrong. I wrongfully assumed it wasn't controlled because of the many hazards and additives that have been found. There was an ecoli outbreak as well as many other serious problems from powdered milk. The FDA until recently though 2014 didn't regulate the industry with strong enough protocols. If you read further on the link, you might have noticed a lot of amendments over the years. But I suspect that you didn't actually read anything other than just to show a link that I was wrong about it not being regulated.

However, the topic really isn't formula. You used it as an example and I was just showing you that just because it isn't harmful in small doses doesn't mean that it is actually doing anything to help babies.

At least your big enough to admit when you are wrong. That is a good trait.

Your right I am no doctor and neither are you.

I have looked into pub med to find articles on the dangers of protein powder and have not found them. I also did not find any mention of protein powders being metabolized differently.

You are right that protein powders are not checked, however that does not mean they are bad. But it does indeed pose a risk.

Zeichen I am all for natural babymilk, you won't get an argument that its better and should be used instead of formula as its clearly superior. However that does not make the other stuff dangerous, that was my point. My point was also that they add proteins to those formula's and they are being checked and not found dangerous. So I equated them. Your point of whey protein not being checked is the risk, now the question is how big is this risk. I would say small, you would say big but neither of us knows for sure. Thing is I have yet to read about deaths by protein powder.

You seem to really have totally wrong image of me, as I will say it again I am for whole foods and a good healthy diet. That means a lot of veggies (though I am not sure how safe that is here with all the chemicals).

The only reason I posted possessive here about the proteins was because it was said the child had a problem (I would first try to solve it differently if possible). We were talking about a kid that would not want to eat more. I would always first try to increase natural foods, and in this case where the kid himself (if the kid himself had no problems I would not even bother) had problems, I would set the second step with protein powders or any other kind of shake (oats / flax-seed ect) just to get in some extra calories.

You seem to have it in your mind I am advocating this to all kids in all situations. I would only go for it if all other options are gone and the child himself is suffering. Under all other circumstances I would not even do this.

Hope that clears a few things up.

Your remark on bulking up, i was automatically assuming fat as the only way to gain muscles is if you have some sort of exercise program with it. I never mentioned that so it would be fat. you said you trained yourself then you know too that just taking proteins won't give you any muscle without exercise. I would be the last to advertise strength training for a 10yo. I was allowed to do this at 16-17 and even then with limitations. So I would not even think about this for a 10yo

If you're an adult who's working out to build muscle and trying to fit in five or six meals per day, protein powder is practically essential as it's easily digested (especially hydrolyzed protein, which is what I use before and after a workout as it's metabolized in under 40 minutes), allowing you to take in and digest large amounts of protein in the 16 or so hours you're awake everyday (it's almost impossible to digest five or six full meals- I count a protein shake as a 'meal').

This isn't recommended for children, though, except in cases of kids who suffer from ADHD, where research has shown a high-protein diet helps their concentration levels.

As others have said, trying to introduce more calorie-dense whole foods into this child's diet is a better option.

I was rail-thin until my mid-twenties, but eventually added muscle to my frame through exercise and diet (that included protein supplements)- unless this child has been diagnosed with a specific medical condition, don't try anything unusual without a doctor's recommendation.

I agree with the introduction of more caloric dense foods as that is the first thing that should be tried. However I posted under the assumption that that was tried because it said in the OP appetite was a problem. Personally I would always go for foods first as powders are a supplement and last resort.

I'm very big into my protein sources and I see your point. When I originally read the OP my first thought was that protein supplementation would be no issue for a child (a couple spoonfuls in a glass of milk or shake), but the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't recommend fitness supplements (which are likely the only form of protein supplements that would be found in LOS- there are child-specific formulas, but I've never seen them here) for children under 18-years-old. While they likely are over-cautious on the subject and it might very well be no real issue, I'd just as soon avoid them if possible for a child. Unless a doctor noted a problem and recommended its use, I wouldn't give fitness-specific protein to my kid.

I'm very big into my protein sources and I see your point. When I originally read the OP my first thought was that protein supplementation would be no issue for a child (a couple spoonfuls in a glass of milk or shake), but the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't recommend fitness supplements (which are likely the only form of protein supplements that would be found in LOS- there are child-specific formulas, but I've never seen them here) for children under 18-years-old. While they likely are over-cautious on the subject and it might very well be no real issue, I'd just as soon avoid them if possible for a child. Unless a doctor noted a problem and recommended its use, I wouldn't give fitness-specific protein to my kid.

Personally I don't see a problem, but Zeichen made one good point that the quality is not monitored. If it was then I would really see no problems as there is no fitness specific protein (I am talking about the unflavored nothing but protein supplement). Not something that has countless of other additives.

Only point is the quality of powders.. but I don't believe its that bad as I never read anything bad about it. But it certainly is a risk.

Again this would be the last resort.. not the first.

"Your right I am no doctor and neither are you." .

I am not the one suggesting going against what the child's pediatrician recommded. I am also not the one that goes against was the AMA states. I am also not the one giving advice to change a very young growing child to change their diet. Even advocating a higher protein diet isn't a good thing. Natural is always better than synthetic health wise but even suggesting a kid to increase his natural protein intake or carb boost isn't responsible either.

"and in this case where the kid himself (if the kid himself had no problems I would not even bother) had problems, I would set the second step with protein powders or any other kind of shake (oats / flax-seed ect) just to get in some extra calories."

What problem. The kids own doctor said not to worry. So please tell me the medical problem that you diagnosed on a child you have never met.

"At least your big enough to admit when you are wrong. That is a good trait."

Too bad you are not. Still haven't apologized to me for calling me a hypocrite when you read something wrong. Nor are man enough to admit that you haven't read a single article fully that I linked. Or man enough to admit that it is irresponsible for non practicing physicians to give advice to per-adolescents

"Your remark on bulking up, i was automatically assuming fat as the only way to gain muscles is if you have some sort of exercise program with it."

The kid is an athlete so what do you think he was doing couch surfing.

". I would be the last to advertise strength training for a 10yo. I was allowed to do this at 16-17 and even then with limitations. So I would not even think about this for a 10yo"

So then why do keep arguing your original point. You just admitted that you wouldn't advise it, yet you are giving advice on the harmlessness of protein supplements for per-adolescents.

"Thing is I have yet to read about deaths by protein powder."

You really didn't read the articles that I linked. simple protein produces lactic acid, lactic acid build up hinders bone development especially in young children. So unregulated amounts of protein aren't good for young children.

Can you also link any long term study that shows that protein supplements actually aid in your muscle development? Unless it is from the manufacturer, you won't be able to.

"My point was also that they add proteins to those formula's and they are being checked and not found dangerous"

You really should read the article fully that you linked.. What the guidelines and protocols that the FDA actually measures in regards to formula.

I think this conversation is getting to the absurd stage because fact is you don't actually read any of these articles. You glance at them quickly to find one thing to support your statement. Really please read things it is frustrating having a discussion with someone as ignorant as you are.

Differing opinion aside, you really accuse me over and over again forcing me to prove to you the data. you don't actually go to any pediatric site and show me that doctors recommend giving protein supplements to per-adolescents. When I link something, you don't even read it fully. You glance at best.

You really aren't interested in the research you are just interested in advocating your original advice.

Irresponsible is the only word for people like you.

"Your right I am no doctor and neither are you." .

I am not the one suggesting going against what the child's pediatrician recommded. I am also not the one that goes against was the AMA states. I am also not the one giving advice to change a very young growing child to change their diet. Even advocating a higher protein diet isn't a good thing. Natural is always better than synthetic health wise but even suggesting a kid to increase his natural protein intake or carb boost isn't responsible either.

"and in this case where the kid himself (if the kid himself had no problems I would not even bother) had problems, I would set the second step with protein powders or any other kind of shake (oats / flax-seed ect) just to get in some extra calories."

What problem. The kids own doctor said not to worry. So please tell me the medical problem that you diagnosed on a child you have never met.

"At least your big enough to admit when you are wrong. That is a good trait."

Too bad you are not. Still haven't apologized to me for calling me a hypocrite when you read something wrong. Nor are man enough to admit that you haven't read a single article fully that I linked. Or man enough to admit that it is irresponsible for non practicing physicians to give advice to per-adolescents

"Your remark on bulking up, i was automatically assuming fat as the only way to gain muscles is if you have some sort of exercise program with it."

The kid is an athlete so what do you think he was doing couch surfing.

". I would be the last to advertise strength training for a 10yo. I was allowed to do this at 16-17 and even then with limitations. So I would not even think about this for a 10yo"

So then why do keep arguing your original point. You just admitted that you wouldn't advise it, yet you are giving advice on the harmlessness of protein supplements for per-adolescents.

"Thing is I have yet to read about deaths by protein powder."

You really didn't read the articles that I linked. simple protein produces lactic acid, lactic acid build up hinders bone development especially in young children. So unregulated amounts of protein aren't good for young children.

Can you also link any long term study that shows that protein supplements actually aid in your muscle development? Unless it is from the manufacturer, you won't be able to.

"My point was also that they add proteins to those formula's and they are being checked and not found dangerous"

You really should read the article fully that you linked.. What the guidelines and protocols that the FDA actually measures in regards to formula.

I think this conversation is getting to the absurd stage because fact is you don't actually read any of these articles. You glance at them quickly to find one thing to support your statement. Really please read things it is frustrating having a discussion with someone as ignorant as you are.

Differing opinion aside, you really accuse me over and over again forcing me to prove to you the data. you don't actually go to any pediatric site and show me that doctors recommend giving protein supplements to per-adolescents. When I link something, you don't even read it fully. You glance at best.

You really aren't interested in the research you are just interested in advocating your original advice.

Irresponsible is the only word for people like you.

You should learn how to quote it makes things easier.

Its also impossible to argue with you as you don't come up with data just some bunched up things that are not about protein alone.

As for the thing i misread, no problems appologizing for that just remember this is not my native language I can make errors reading stuff especially if its not put there right.

I did read the articles you send and found that they are not relating to the topic.

Could you please quote in my posts where I advocated strenght training for kids ? It can't be there not even in my original post because I NEVER EVER would advise it. We were talking here about protein not exercise.

Its the kid that has a problem himself. The OP has said so. You are just ignoring that because it does not fit your arguments.

I like to know more about lactic acid as you are right this occurs in whey (and other food sources). I have been looking for a link between bone growth and lactic acid but can't find it. If there is a link then you could be right (depending on what is a safe amount and what is not). But you are right that it is available in whey (and other dairy products)

Archived