First time - 12 month extension based on marriage

Good Evening All,

Just a quick question today!

Last week I visited my local immigration office (Krabi) and applied for my first 12 month extension based on marriage. Everything seemed to go fairly smoothly which was nice. Anyway, they have granted me an initial 30 days while everything is sent to head office for confirmation and told me to return again at the end of the 30 days to collect the remaining 11 months... So, I just wanted to check that ....

a. this is normal procedure?

b. does anyone know whether I am able to collect my 11 month extension at any immigration office, or does it have to be the same one I applied at?

^ as above except it ain't a Visa it is an extension of Stay based on Marriage.

OP don't forget about your 90 day reports, if you are not sure about it just ask the immigration office when you go back to get the stamp after the approval.

OP don't forget about your 90 day reports, if you are not sure about it just ask the immigration office when you go back to get the stamp after the approval.

+ if you are planning to travel abroad during the extension period you'll need to obtain a re-entry permit in order to keep your revised permission to stay alive. Cost is 1,000 THB for a single permit or 3,800 THB for a multiple permit (which will enable you to come and go to and from Thailand as many times as you please during the extension period). It might be a good idea to obtain a permit when you return to the immigration office to be stamped in for the remaining 11 months if you have already made definite plans to travel abroad during this period - although you can also obtain one before exiting through immigration at BKK and DMK airports.

Edited by OJAS

I think they mean to grant you 12-month extension in subject to their approval. Does the stamp on your passport mention "under consideration"? If yes, that is good & you will need to go back to Immigration to get another stamp if they will approve. Nothing to worry if there is a delay as long as you wait for their approval. This is what I have been through last February.

• Like 1

Hi all , this is my first post, I am semi retiring at the end of October 2015 and would like to spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in the UK with maybe a few visits in between, I am married and have a child living in Thailand and was thinking an O visa is my best option, I am a bit confused about the money do I need to prove £1400 a month or just deposit £16800 into my bank account and leave it there or is there a better option, am I missing something, sorry if you've heard it all before, I just want to get it right.

Hi all , this is my first post, I am semi retiring at the end of October 2015 and would like to spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in the UK with maybe a few visits in between, I am married and have a child living in Thailand and was thinking an O visa is my best option, I am a bit confused about the money do I need to prove £1400 a month or just deposit £16800 into my bank account and leave it there or is there a better option, am I missing something, sorry if you've heard it all before, I just want to get it right.

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.or marriage at immigration here it is not a visa. You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at an embassy or consulate that would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

For an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai you would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht.income.

For retirement you would need 800k baht in the bank or proof 65k baht income or a combination of the two totaling 800k baht.

After getting the extension you would get a re-entry permit for your trips out of the country. A single is 1000 baht and a multiple is 3800 baht.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

So tomorrow I am going to collect my extension at immigration. I just wanted to do a final confirmation with everyone here about what I am required to bring.

Am I correct in thinking that all I need is :

- Just myself (not my husband)

- Passport

- No fees/photocopies etc?

Many thanks