Our Experience of UK Visa Application-refusal

I wrote a letter in support of my Thai wifes application. for a tourist visa to the UK. I am a British citizen.

In the letter I provided the following

1 a copy of a credit card in her name with a 3000 pounds limit.

2 copy bank statement of mine showing 8000 pounds balance at bank in the uk

3 confirmed the visit was for a short holiday to visit my family in the uk.

4 confirmed she would be staying with me at my house in uk.

My wife is a Nurse in a Govt hospital - she provided a letter from the hospital confirming her employment. and salary. She owns her own house and car.and supplied the housebook and the marriage certificate to the interviewer.

At the visa interview I was prevented by reception from accompanying her so they did not see me.

The letter came today refusing a visa .

The letter has misrepresented her visit as not being for the purpose of a tourist but to visit me in the UK !

States she failed to provide evidence of our marriage or our relationship.

Does not acknowledge the credit card in my wifes name.

States that my bank statement balance does not show transactions ???? why they would want this is beyond me.

Anyway no right of appeal - it is a money making scam

Can I suggest that if you offer evidence at the interview you ask them to sign they have seen it.

A couple of points, first of all there wasn't an interview, when your wife went to VFS it was only to deposit the hard copy of the application and the supporting evidence, VFS staff play no part in the decision making process.

Regarding the refusal it would be helpful if you were able to post the actual refusal notice, minus any personal details, then one of the guys might be able to give you a steer.

However a couple of points on what you have posted.

Credit Cards are normally discounted.

Your bank statement should have been fine though was it a current account or a deposit account, did you provide evidence of your income, any salary or other income details?

You say she is a nurse and provided a letter saying so and giving details of her salary, did the letter acknowledge her holiday was approved and that she was expected back.

Your wife can either visit the UK as your wife or as a tourist, the visa is the same, that's one of the reasons we need to see the refusal notice.

Obviously being a married couple living in different parts of the globe the ECO would need to be satisfied that she was not trying to circumnavigate the settlement route, it would seem they were not convinced.

As frustrating as your experience is, I don't think it's a money making scam, either your application wasn't strong enough to satisfy the ECO that the application was robust or they simply got it wrong.

Unfortunately since the right of appeal was removed for family visits more visas seem to be being refused, maybe they are making more mistakes or are simply taking a more robust approach, I really don't know.

I did not make it clear in the post above that I live mostly here in Thailand on a retirement visa . My income is shown on the bank statement and the Consulate have a copy because my retirement visa requires income proof which was returned to me approved a few days ago. The consulate would be aware of my Thai address which they state in their letter and posted to me only a week ago. As far as the credit card is concerned it is a card in her name on my account - I clear my cr c a/c monthly automatically.

I maintain it is a scam not a genuine decision- Her application clearly stated I would be accompanying her on the trip which the beaurocrat ignored assuming she was visiting me in the UK ! -completely wrong They were scratching around for a reason to refuse so a second application fee would be forthcoming .

Let us be realistic 85 pounds a shot for a tourist visa requiring evidently either such cursory examination they missed vital points or deliberate refusal for the next fee.

If you live in Thailand together then it makes the decision even more bizarre, but they wouldn't put two and two together, you need to lead them all the way.

The Consular Section have nothing to do with the UKVI they are totally separate and don't talk to each other, they don't share information and certainly wont go looking for it.

If you live together in Thailand then you need make it very clear and show evidence, my good lady submits a copy of our joint lease here.

It's for your wife to demonstrate that she has strong ties here in Thailand and that she's likely to return. Evidence of your life here will normally be sufficient, but you need to show it to them, they certainly wont go looking in the Consular Section.

A joint credit card might be useful as proof of your relationship but certainly not evidence of available funds. You need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds available for the trip, evidence of your income, I give my pension statements and bank statements outlining my income and expenditure. If your funds are tied up for visa requirements then you need to say that you intend using them.

As I said before, if you could post a copy of the refusal notice it would help us advise you.

I can understand your frustration, but the UKVI staff don't receive a bonus for visa refusals, the fee goes to the Treasury not the local post and certainly not to the ECO's.

• Like 1

The leterr states in second para

"You state in your application you wish to visit your husband" - then my full name

Now how does that statement fit with the facts ?

The facts are this

17 Travel information Are you traveling with anyone ? my wife replied yes

18 then wants details so she gave British Citizen, my full name, dob,visa not required for the 4 items requested

Later at part 3 no 44 Will your spouse/partner be travelling with you - my wife answered yes

45 reqires passport no my wife gave my passport no

47 48 49 simply repeat questions of my surname,forenames dob which my wife gave

50 then asks does your spouse currently live with you my wife answered yes

Sheer incompetance by whoever PQ is ( the ECO)

The actual refusal notice will give the ECO's reasons for reaching the conclusion they did and for refusing the application; so we need to see that.

But a few points:

They want to see at least three months, preferably 6, bank statements and the transactions therein to see that the account has not been artificially inflated for the application but represents a true picture of the account holders finances.

Also useful as evidence of employment if the applicant is paid by credit transfer.

The leterr states in second para

"You state in your application you wish to visit your husband" - then my full name

Now how does that statement fit with the facts ?

The facts are this

17 Travel information Are you traveling with anyone ? my wife replied yes

18 then wants details so she gave British Citizen, my full name, dob,visa not required for the 4 items requested

Later at part 3 no 44 Will your spouse/partner be travelling with you - my wife answered yes

45 reqires passport no my wife gave my passport no

47 48 49 simply repeat questions of my surname,forenames dob which my wife gave

50 then asks does your spouse currently live with you my wife answered yes

Sheer incompetance by whoever PQ is ( the ECO)

Only the answer to question 50 says you live together, the other answers would be equally true were you living in the UK, visiting her in Thailand and she travelling back to the UK with you.

It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all the necessary evidence to support their application; the ECO wont go chasing after it, and wouldn't know what details, if any, the consular section hold on you anyway.

What evidence of your immigration status and residency in Thailand did you provide?

What evidence did you provide to show you and your wife live together?

What evidence did she provide of her employment and that she had been granted the necessary leave of absence and was expected back on a certain date?

What reason for the visit did she give for the visit, if any?

Where did she say she would be staying, and if this is a private residence did she provide a letter from whoever was offering the accommodation confirming this?

Whilst I am certain you and your wife would do no such thing, people do lie in visit visa applications and have no intention of leaving the UK once their visit visa has expired. So the ECOs wont take an applicant's or sponsor's word for it; they want evidence.

BTW, whether you live with her in Thailand or apart in the UK, this would still be treated as a family visit, not a tourist, as she said will be visiting your family. The family of an applicant's spouse or partner is considered their family as well under the rules.

Edited by 7by7

Attached letter - could not insert it

I should add my wife has my surname which is on her passport - the letter is completely at odds with the facts as stated in the application and my letter of support which stated where we would be staying for a max period of 2 months qeustion 20 , q 61 do you have any dependent children - no ,q 62 are any other children travelling with you - no q 83 please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the uk ? visit my husbands family and tourist

Thise were her intentions stated in the application yet the letter states not satisfied ? and on the second page mentions "maintaining any dependents" when none are stated on the form.

I can only assume PQ did not actually read the form properly and replied a refusal without valid reason.

post-194881-0-52650000-1434973491_thumb.

post-194881-0-83557700-1434973609_thumb.

As I thought; it seems to me she was refused due to lack of evidence.

I suggest that your wife applies again, this time providing the necessary evidence.

You may find the following helpful in this regard:

Standard Visitor visa

Visitor: supporting documents guide

UK visit visa basics; a little out of date, but the essentials are the same.

The phrase "or any dependants" on the form does not mean the ECO mistakenly believes your wife has dependants nor that, if she did, they would be travelling with her; it is standard wording which appears on all refusal notices.

Thank you for your reply.

Can i ask your advice on the new application

At Q 83 the form asks Please Enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK ?

my wifes plans are the same - To visit my husband's family and tourist. was her answer last time and likely the same next time on the form

At Q 86 Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of the application ? Just a holiday to visit my husbands family and touring xyz county was her answer last time and likely the same again.

The ECO was not satisfied with those intentions as he states"'There is an onus on you to satisfy me ------as to your intentions in in the United Kingdom but you have failed to do so." I am at a loss as to how he can ever be satisfied if the original application answers do not suffice for him - ie a holiday visiting her husbands family and touring xyz county

he can say that whatever the answer she gives

The refusal notice makes it pretty clear that you did not supply a copy of the marriage certificate as the ECO says no evidence of marriage provided. Did you highlight your visa history in Thailand and provide evidence showing that you live together....not just saying that you did? The ECO also says that the bank statement did not show evidence of money going in. You should certainly have provided the letter which you used to get your retirement visa and 6 months bank statements showing regular money going in (and out if appropriate). It would appear that you provided insufficient evidence of your relationship and finances and as 7by7 said earlier did you provide evidence that your wife's job would remain open? There is no money scam involved here but I suspect a lack of hard evidence. Questions 83 and 86 will not seriously impact on the application..it is the lack of hard evidence which seems to be the problem as 7by7 and theoldgit have suggested above.

It sounds as if the ECO got completely the wrong idea behind the purpose of the visit.

Without the key bit of information - I live in Thailand with my husband - the ECO has misunderstood the situation. Clearly we have not seen the application but it does suggest a bit of a rethink with the covering letter etc.

A further application with the points made especially made by 'theoldgit' covered thoroughly.

Reason to return - you have a settled life in Thailand so just provide evidence! Affordability - what is the family income? Where does it come from? All quite easy by showing bank statements etc.

Credit card limits are useful only if the ECO can see evidence of the affordability. My wife carried a credit card with a £22 000 limit, not sure if that impressed them or not! Frightened the living daylights out of me so that card has now gone!

Sounds as if the application confused the ECO and led to a bizarre decision once the facts are clarified. Re-apply with a good covering letter and hopefully the application will be granted.

It seems to me that when the ECO says ""'There is an onus on you to satisfy me ------as to your intentions in in the United Kingdom but you have failed to do so." that he suspects your wife did not intend to just visit, but to remain in the UK with you.

I suspect this is because you did not supply any evidence of your life together in Thailand nor of her job there.

The answers you gave on the form previously are fine; but you need to back up those answers with documentary evidence.

I suggest:-

• Your marriage certificate.
  • Copy of your current and past Thai visas showing your immigration status in Thailand.
  • Evidence of you living together in Thailand; such as official documents with the address and one or both of your names on, utility bills addressed to one or both of you, bank statements with the address and one or both of your names on, letters addressed to one or both of you; etc.
  • A letter on headed paper from her employer confirming her employment, her leave of absence and the date she is expected back. Note that the ECO may telephone the signatory to confirm the contents. If the letter is written in English they will expect to speak to that person in English and will doubt the letter's authenticity if they are unable to do so. If the letter is written in Thai then a Thai member of staff will speak to the signatory in Thai.

Also, as said above, you should provide more detailed evidence of your finances; bank statements covering at least the last 3 months, preferably 6.

If staying with friends or relatives in the UK, then get a letter of invitation from them confirming you can stay and that there is room for you both.

It seems to me that when the ECO says ""'There is an onus on you to satisfy me ------as to your intentions in in the United Kingdom but you have failed to do so." that he suspects your wife did not intend to just visit, but to remain in the UK with you.

I suspect this is because you did not supply any evidence of your life together in Thailand nor of her job there.

The answers you gave on the form previously are fine; but you need to back up those answers with documentary evidence.

I suggest:-

• Your marriage certificate.
  • Copy of your current and past Thai visas showing your immigration status in Thailand.
  • Evidence of you living together in Thailand; such as official documents with the address and one or both of your names on, utility bills addressed to one or both of you, bank statements with the address and one or both of your names on, letters addressed to one or both of you; etc.
  • A letter on headed paper from her employer confirming her employment, her leave of absence and the date she is expected back. Note that the ECO may telephone the signatory to confirm the contents. If the letter is written in English they will expect to speak to that person in English and will doubt the letter's authenticity if they are unable to do so. If the letter is written in Thai then a Thai member of staff will speak to the signatory in Thai.

Also, as said above, you should provide more detailed evidence of your finances; bank statements covering at least the last 3 months, preferably 6.

If staying with friends or relatives in the UK, then get a letter of invitation from them confirming you can stay and that there is room for you both.

"I suspect this is because you did not supply any evidence of your life together in Thailand nor of her job there" thanks but your suspicion is wrong

I attended the location of "interview" with the intention of providing the visible evidence .: of our relationship ( on another note what if we were common law = no marriage certificate anyway) and my wife had the thai wedding certificate with her at interview., but I was prevented from accompanying my wife. She did provide the letter from the hospital confirming her employment and salary.. I rather susoect there is something adrift with the transfer of information between the agency and the eco

;

As has been said above there is no interview and it is not possible to just introduce evidence at that stage. You need to get all your evidence gathered together as has been suggested above and present it in a fashion that is easy for the ECO to digest. The staff at Trendy Building know nothing about the evidence required to obtain a visa. Take the advice that you have been offered and get everything prepared in advance with copies...you cannot leave anything to be presented to the staff at Trendy Building. So I think that 7by7's suspicion is correct. 7by7 and theoldgit know a lot about this procedure and their advice is usually worth following.

VFS just collect biometric data and check paperwork (often it appears badly!) before forwarding it to the British Embassy for an Entry Clearance Officer or Manager to process the visa. If you were expecting to give this information at an interview then absolutely none of this information will have been relayed to the people processing the visa. It is not a requirement that you have a marriage certificate but you should provide suitable evidence of your relationship. As has been said copies of joint leases, rent books etc are ideal. Assume nothing, the ECO will not have time to work on anything but the information that arrives on his or her desk.

It sounds as if this is the issue. It is easily sorted by including details with the fresh application. I would strongly advise you to check the pinned topic on visit visas. It gives an idea of what is expected for a successful application.

Unless you provide the information required it is not going to be a scam but you are wasting your time and money.

Rejected applications like this do not go against future applications but need to be explained on subsequent applications. I must add 'Don't shoot the messenger(s)'!

I fully understand your frustration...

In 2010 we went to the agents at Hang Dong in Chiang Mai to collect the passport and returned documents for a Visit Visa application to the UK.

There was no Visa in the passport just a letter of rejection. How could they reject it, I am a good upstanding British Citizen of very mature age and they refuse to let me take my Thai girlfriend to the UK to meet my friends, see my children, my house, the Country. I was angry and frustrated that my word was not good enough.

Then in 2011, '12 & '13 we made successful applications.

The first thing I learned was 'DO NOT expect the ECO to draw the conclusions you want from the information you provide'

Tell him the conclusion you want, and give him the information to substantiate it.

In your case you are not inviting your wife to the UK... you are taking her with you to meet your friends, see your house etc. and then she is going to accompany you back to Thailand to continue your life together here.

So...show you are married and have a loving stable genuine subsisting relationship in Thailand (documents, photos etc) You have a visa in Thailand to come back to, she has a job to come back to (IMHO the job is less important than your married relationship)

I have a Santander 123 account. It's easy to pull up 6 moths statements to show your credits and debits.

Show the Thai bank books where the money is transfered to Thailand, high light the transfers on the copies.( I first used my Debit card at ATM's and showed ATM receipts that corresponded to debits on my statements)

You are getting the picture of what the ECO should be given.

As has been said, VFS do not interview. They have chatted to my wife about what she is going to be doing in the UK, but it is not an interview.

The documentation you submit is the information the ECO will see and base the decision on. Make sure he has it all.

Every one will say "don't overload the ECO", but I have always sent more than is required for our successful applications.

Hope this helps...good luck

• Like 1

When applying for a visa, people need to get into the mindset of the bureaucrat - a place where common sense often comes 2nd to examining pieces of paper and ticking the corresponding boxes.

If you mention something in the application you need to back it up with a document so that they can tick their little box and move on to the next point.

Write a covering letter refering to the documentary evidence that satisfies their criterea, forcing them to tick boxes and come to the conclusion that a visa should be granted.

Be explicit!

When applying for a visa, people need to get into the mindset of the bureaucrat - a place where common sense often comes 2nd to examining pieces of paper and ticking the corresponding boxes.

If you mention something in the application you need to back it up with a document so that they can tick their little box and move on to the next point.

Write a covering letter refering to the documentary evidence that satisfies their criterea, forcing them to tick boxes and come to the conclusion that a visa should be granted.

Be explicit!

I agree with the conclusion here about being explicit but not the way it is framed. What else has the 'bureaucrat' got to go on apart from the pieces of paper? He or she is precluded because of government decisions from almost any form of contact with the applicant and so must rely on evidence which as you so rightly say must be explicit. There are instances documented on this forum of apparently incorrect decisions but that only makes the ECO's annoyingly human. By far the majority of rejections are because of incomplete or unclear applications leaving the ECO with no choice but to reject the application.

• Like 1

Sorry to read of the rejection. I note from the document it states decision made 18th June and advised 19th. May I ask when the application was submitted? We made our second application 2nd June and have heard nothing.

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry to read of the rejection. I note from the document it states decision made 18th June and advised 19th. May I ask when the application was submitted? We made our second application 2nd June and have heard nothing.

Many thanks in advance.

Origial online application submitted 1 june " intervew" friday 12 june . If as others have said on here it is not an interview I wish they had described it correctly as being the postbox where you drop off the supporting documents for the eco rather than the impression the system gives of it being an interview. My guess is the vfs do have some input . I wonder are vfs a profit making agency or not ? if they are it might explain things.

hope this helps

Origial online application submitted 1 june " intervew" friday 12 june . If as others have said on here it is not an interview I wish they had described it correctly as being the postbox where you drop off the supporting documents for the eco rather than the impression the system gives of it being an interview. My guess is the vfs do have some input . I wonder are vfs a profit making agency or not ? if they are it might explain things.

hope this helps

Thank you it does a little bit. For comparison our online submittal was 25th May and we booked the interview for 2nd June. I think an interview is a fair description. After all they do ask a number of questions relating to the application. If either of our ladies answered all the questions incorrectly, it would be fair to presume that they had failed the interview and asked to come back again. Though others would have to confirm if such a case has happened.

VFS don't do it for fun so yes they are a company doing it for the money but HMG have clearly decided that paying them is cheaper than doing it all in house. This has been par for the course in the UK for many years...reducing Government staffing and expenditure.

I am absolutely sure that VFS have no input in the decision although clearly they can affect the decision by not forwarding all the documentation to the Embassy.

As has been stated many times it is not an interview and I don't believe there is any suggestion that it is Indeed most applicants aren't asked much at all. We have done it twice and their only concern was something showing sole custody of my step daughter and this is properly within their remit...to ensure that salient information is being supplied.

• Like 1

Nobody should kid themselves that VFS have any input with applications. They are not part of the decision making process.

What they have been accused of (regularly) is interfering and going beyond their duties. Hopefully all those who feel VFS staff have mixed up or removed papers have complained. At no stage should they be telling applicants that certain pieces of paperwork are not required!

They would not know how to give advice. They don't get to see the decisions of the ECO's at any stage. It is a bit worrying that VFS Global consider part of their job is to counsel applicants whose application is not valid. Some VFS staff seem to take this as being able to give advice. Their powers are limited to the checklist!

VFS state as part of their role to:

• Accept applications across the counter, after reviewing them for completeness and validity, based on checklists supplied by the diplomatic missions
  • Checklists to be signed by applicant and staff before acceptance
  • Accept passports and supporting documents after required pre-scrutiny
  • Counsel applicants whose applications are invalid for any reason and require further documentation
  • As a policy, VFS Global would never reject an application from an applicant who insists on proceeding despite being forewarned that the application is invalid; in such a situation, VFS Global would annotate the checklist with a remark that the applicant has elected to proceed despite being made aware that his application is invalid as per the checklist
  • Adherence to a checklist
  • Neutral acceptance of application
  • No refusal of application
  • Like 1

Can I offer some advice, after having successfully applied for all manners of Visas for my wife in various countries,including Japan, UK, India etc, the last one being a UK settlement visa which was

approved 2 weeks ago.

You need to treat the application as you would an academic essay or paper, in that for each area where supporting documents are necessary, you will need to have the original documents, plus preferably evidence of how those documents were obtained. For example, if the question on the application form refers to your financial status, then provide proof of cash available, plus when the cash was paid into account,and also why the cash was paid into the account. (official bank statements from bank for the last 6 months will show the proof of funds available along with the dates of when the money was deposited and an official letter from the employer stating start of employment and monthly salary,along with the annual tax receipt 'tawee 50' will show the 'why')

Vis a vis your relationship and the reasons she wants to visit the UK.

Just go through everything logically, without letting any emotion get into it, and put yourself in the position of the ECO. This means you need to go through all your paperwork and

try and find a reason to refuse your own application, based on logic and not emotion, compassion or sympathy. Once you have found the reason, rectify it and repeat the process until the application is solid.

There was a visa 'agent' who had an office in the same building as the UKVAC, run as now by VFS, before they moved to their current location.

Reportedly, people from this 'agent' would hang around outside the UKVAC and approach people giving the impression they were VFS staff and lure their victims into their office to 'check' the application prior to submission..

They would always claim to find something wrong, which they would 'fix' for a fee.

Both my step son and my sister in law were approached by these people, but having been forewarned by me they told them the Thai equivalent of "go forth and multiply!"

When my sister in law submitted her recent application at the Trendy Building, she was not approached in this manner.

Maybe that's why VFS moved offices?

• Like 1