Inverter refrigerators

Thanks to the frequent discussions here I've learned quite a bit about inverter air cons and how/why they can be a good thing in the right situations, e.g. save money and be quieter when properly sized and used.

Is there a similar savings for an inverter refrigerator over a conventional one? I stayed in a friend's apartment with a fairly new inverter refrigerator and I must say it was the quietest refrigerator I've ever (not) heard. I'm thinking of replacing the one in my condo as it is older (so probably not very energy efficient) and quite noisy, so wonder if I should get an inverter.

I'm very happy with the Panasonic inverter fridge I have. It's very quiet compared to the conventional compressor type. I haven't been able to quantify any savings, but they claim it reduces your electricity bill by up to 40%.

There can be HUGE differences in the running costs of refrigerators, and yes, the most efficient of them will be inverters - but that by extension does not mean that all inverters are efficient :)

The Hitachi 2-door inverters are the only ones you can generally say are always in the top % of the most efficient fridges. Other brands can be more hit and miss.

Use this website to supplement your research: http://labelno5.opr.egat.co.th/appdata/labelno5/en

Just bought a 2 door Hitachi about a fortnight ago. So far so good. Does the job and is quietest fridge we have ever had. Too early to say what the electric bill savings will be but as a fridge is probably the only appliance you will own that is on all the time seems reasonable to assume you will save in the long run...especially if , like us , you need to buy a fridge anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure how much of my electric bill was attributed to the refrigerator, but apparently it's enough for an inverter model to make a noticeable difference?

@IMHO: Thanks for the link. When I get ready to start shopping, I'll note model numbers and plug them in to that web page.

Considering what I went through to repair an aircon (16,000 Baht and 2 months) because of a power surge, I think I'll skip over the refrigerators.

not only the cost of repairs but also finding a qualified technician and the parts required for repairs is the achilles heel of all inverters whether aircons, pumps or fridges.

Edited by Naam

Buy a Samsung inverter side by side, you can hear it popping and knocking all day and night from an 11 meter distance with the doors of the rooms closed. Wakes you up at night, because you think the roof came down.

And yes it has been replaced twice already under warranty.

If you don't believe I can post a sound file.

You do realise that invertors Are just a variable speed motors. This allows them to back off and essentially have a larger heat exchanger. But alas more parts if something breaks, you might find them pricey I wouldn't buy off brand.

Considering what I went through to repair an aircon (16,000 Baht and 2 months) because of a power surge, I think I'll skip over the refrigerators.

This is true and was a deciding factor on why we did not buy an inverter air con unit since in rural areas repairs will be problematical and expensive , not to mention that an inverter air con unit is a lot more expensive than a convention one.

On the other hand , inverter fridges cost about the same as a similar ordinary fridge do at least that is not a deterrent.

You do realise that invertors Are just a variable speed motors. This allows them to back off and essentially have a larger heat exchanger. But alas more parts if something breaks, you might find them pricey I wouldn't buy off brand.

Not just variable speed motors, but in most cases, DC brushless motors - which have a power factor of 1.0, compared to AC induction motors with a power factor that tops-out at around 0.85. DC brushless motors also run cooler than AC induction ones, which is also important in the case of a refrigerator where the motor heat is dispersed into the same air space as the fridge.

Buy a Samsung inverter side by side, you can hear it popping and knocking all day and night from an 11 meter distance with the doors of the rooms closed. Wakes you up at night, because you think the roof came down.

Problem isn't with inverter technology. It's with the brand of air-conditioner...

Problem isn't with inverter technology. It's with the brand of air-conditioner...

never heard of "side-by-side" aircons and i guess Anthony means a fridge wink.png

for a person who's studies comprised thermo-physics it is quite difficult to digest the various expert comments on aircons and inverters. i am not only referring to the hundreds of comments in dozens of Thaivisa threads but also to claims of manufacturers and distributors. the dilemma of the afore-mentioned person is being continously forced to make decisions such as rolling on the floor with roaring laughter or get rid of the frustration by throwing small stones at little old ladies passing by laugh.png

more serious reactions are unavoidable when reading pure refined bullshit published by companies who distribute relevant products. here's one sample par excellence:

Benefits of Inverter Air Conditioning

Inverter air conditioning is more expensive than non inverter air conditioning but with the current spiralling energy costs, is it worth the extra ££s?

Let's see what are the benefits of an inverter air conditioning compared with a non inverter air conditioning:-

• At least 30% - 50% cheaper to run as it consumes less power
  • Far quicker to achieve desired temperature
  • The start up time is reduced by 30%
  • Much quieter
  • No temperature fluctuations, maximising comfort level
  • No voltage peaks from compressor
  • All EcoAir inverter air conditioning are heat pumps which in itself is one of the most energy efficient form of heating
  • http://www.airconditioner.me.uk/Benefits_of_Inverter_Air_Conditioning.html

I'll confirm my personal experience is the same as TRD:" I'm very happy with the Panasonic inverter fridge I have. It's very quiet compared to the conventional compressor type." In our home we have always had two fridges and the Panasonic is quiet compared to the former LG and the current Hitachi.

Are inverter frigs more energy efficient? Sure...the 30% savings in electricity usage gets thrown around a lot in advertising...just keep in mind that's in advertising and may not be realworld. But let's say it is a 30% realworld savings.

The average cost per kilowatthour in Thailand is approx Bt4.65/KWH (about 0.14USD) right now which includes the Fuel Tariff/Tax/Fees if you are billed directly by the electric company....if you are billed by a landlord then you are probably paying a little higher price per KWH.

A frig is not a big electricity user compared to an A/C. According to this weblink the average cost for a person in California in 2013 to run a frig per year was around a $130 which converted to baht is Bt4,355 at current exchange rate. That was at 2013 rates of approx 0.16 USD/KWH which equates to approx Bt5.36/KWH. OK, that California cost is a little higher than the Thailand cost so let's just lower the cost to say $120 for Thailand which amounts to approx Bt4,000 per year to run a frig.

Now, let's reduce that Bt4,000 by 30% which is advertised inverter frig electricity savings...that's a savings of Bt1,200 per year which leaves a person a yearly bill of around Bt2,800. So if you want to run out and buy an inverter frig to reduce your electric bill then just divide Bt2,800 into the cost of that inverter frig to figure out how many years payback will take. Say the frig cost Bt20,000...then your payback time would be around 7 years.

Edited by Pib

Are inverter frigs more energy efficient? Sure...the 30% savings in electricity usage gets thrown around a lot in advertising...just keep in mind that's in advertising and may not be realworld. But let's say it is a 30% realworld savings.

The average cost per kilowatthour in Thailand is approx Bt4.65/KWH (about 0.14USD) right now which includes the Fuel Tariff/Tax/Fees if you are billed directly by the electric company....if you are billed by a landlord then you are probably paying a little higher price per KWH.

A frig is not a big electricity user compared to an A/C. According to this weblink the average cost for a person in California in 2013 to run a frig per year was around a $130 which converted to baht is Bt4,355 at current exchange rate. That was at 2013 rates of approx 0.16 USD/KWH which equates to approx Bt5.36/KWH. OK, that California cost is a little higher than the Thailand cost so let's just lower the cost to say $120 for Thailand which amounts to approx Bt4,000 per year to run a frig.

Now, let's reduce that Bt4,000 by 30% which is advertised inverter frig electricity savings...that's a savings of Bt1,200 per year which leaves a person a yearly bill of around Bt2,800. So if you want to run out and buy an inverter frig to reduce your electric bill then just divide Bt2,800 into the cost of that inverter frig to figure out how many years payback will take. Say the frig cost Bt20,000...then your payback time would be around 7 years.

I think you should divide the premium of the inverter by 1200 Baht to calculate if it is worth to buy an inverter.

Now to give you an idea.

My 21Q Samsung side by side inverter claims on the sticker that it uses 540 Kwh/year.

My Kill a watt meter told me over the test of a week, that it will use approximately 710 Kwh/year.

My previous 10 year old 19Q non inverter side by side LG used 870 Kwh/year according to the same Kill a watt meter

My previous 10 year old 19Q non inverter side by side LG used 870 Kwh/year according to the same Kill a watt meter

What did the EGAT label#5 sticker on it say? Your comparison isn't complete without that number too wink.png

Many things impact the running costs of a fridge - how hot the room is it's located in, ventilation, what you put in it, how long the door is open, and how cold you dial it to, for example.

In my experience the EGAT tests are comparable - so you old fridge was probably rated around 650 units/year.

In any case, your new fridge works out to 25.7 units/cu ft/year - the most energy:space efficient fridges are in the 15-17 units/cu ft/year range.

Edited by IMHO

What did the EGAT label#5 sticker on it say? Your comparison isn't complete without that number too wink.png

Many things impact the running costs of a fridge - how hot the room is it's located in, ventilation, what you put in it, how long the door is open, and how cold you dial it to, for example.

In my experience the EGAT tests are comparable - so you old fridge was probably rated around 650 units/year.

In any case, your new fridge works out to 25.7 units/cu ft/year - the most energy:space efficient fridges are in the 15-17 units/cu ft/year range.

I assume that the sticker will have been faded after 10 years, but I doubt that at that time a non inverter side by side would be rated 650 units/year.

Please feel free to quote any side by side that is rated, and then I even talk about real life usage, at 17 units/cu ft/year.

Edited by Anthony5

I think you should divide the premium of the inverter by 1200 Baht to calculate if it is worth to buy an inverter.

Now to give you an idea.

My 21Q Samsung side by side inverter claims on the sticker that it uses 540 Kwh/year.

My Kill a watt meter told me over the test of a week, that it will use approximately 710 Kwh/year.

neither of you took blocked capital into consideration which is only correct if your other investments yield zero percent.

Many things impact the running costs of a fridge

one of the "impacts" that drive me nucking futs when i enter the kitchen and see one of my three ladies "rearranging" things in two huge fridges with the double doors of each wide open. in one rare case i thought of strangling and stabbing when the upper doors of the freezer compartment of one fridge were open too.

bah.gif

Naam,

Take advantage of those times the ladies have the frig doors wide open by having a floor fan stationed nearby to circulate the cold air escaping from the frig into your room thereby reducing the cooling load on your A/Cs thereby reducing your A/C electricity bill. Note: how many "thereby's" are allowed per sentence.

one of the "impacts" that drive me nucking futs when i enter the kitchen and see one of my three ladies "rearranging" things in two huge fridges with the double doors of each wide open. in one rare case i thought of strangling and stabbing when the upper doors of the freezer compartment of one fridge were open too.

bah.gif

It is at times like this that chest freezers (inverter or non-inverter) come into their own. The cold air doesn't fall out when the lid is opened and most are big enough to conceal a body smile.png

I assume that the sticker will have been faded after 10 years, but I doubt that at that time a non inverter side by side would be rated 650 units/year.

Please feel free to quote any side by side that is rated, and then I even talk about real life usage, at 17 units/cu ft/year.

Not sure if I'm understanding what you want correctly, but maybe you mean like this?

http://www.hitachi-th.com/hitachi2014/?act=product_detail&id=1&model_id=9189〈=en

That one is 24.5 cu ft, and under EGAT tests uses 361 units/year = 14.73 units/cu ft/year

Of course, it would use a whole lot more electricity in Commander Worf's house :P

Edited by IMHO

Not sure if I'm understanding what you want correctly, but maybe you mean like this?

http://www.hitachi-th.com/hitachi2014/?act=product_detail&id=1&model_id=9189〈=en

That one is 24.5 cu ft, and under EGAT tests uses 361 units/year = 14.73 units/cu ft/year

Of course, it would use a whole lot more electricity in Commander Worf's house tongue.png

I'm surprised that a knowledgeable man like you doesn't know what a side by side fridge is, to refresh your memory.

https://www.google.com/search?q=side+by+side&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nMqMVebqNoySuQSu-6fICg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=721#tbm=isch&q=side+by+side+fridge

What you post is a fridge from which a large part is taken up by a vacuum compartment which of course use much less electric than a full sized freezer.

And by the way goes at " discounted" price still for 73.900 Baht, which will take about a trillion years before the saving in electric compensate for the premium over other inverters " side by sides".

http://th.priceprice.com/Hitachi-R-D6800T-12080/reviews/

Edited by Anthony5

I'm very happy with the Panasonic inverter fridge I have. It's very quiet compared to the conventional compressor type. I haven't been able to quantify any savings, but they claim it reduces your electricity bill by up to 40%.

Which one is it? The 'Eco' with freezer at the bottom?

questionnaire for people who rave about inverter fridges being quiet:

o -i sleep in my kitchen.

o -i keep my fridge(s) in the bedroom.

please check √ applicable, multiple choice allowed.

questionnaire for people who rave about inverter fridges being quiet:

o -i sleep in my kitchen.

o -i keep my fridge(s) in the bedroom.

please check √ applicable, multiple choice allowed.

I have a write-in answer: I sleep in my fridge to avoid A/C cost

bah.gif

It is at times like this that chest freezers (inverter or non-inverter) come into their own. The cold air doesn't fall out when the lid is opened and most are big enough to conceal a body smile.png

we have a chest freezer too and the fact that an ice layer ~3cm thick forms and has to be thawed every 6 months tells a story how "efficiently" the storage and rearrangement of food is done sick.gif

Edited by Naam