Thailand to upgrade fleet, chooses Chinese to provide three submarines

webfact

Thailand to Upgrade Fleet, Chooses Chinese to Provide Three Submarines
Thailand reportedly plans to buy three Chinese-made submarines for the Royal Thai Navy at a cost of 355 million dollars each.

BANGKOK: -- Three Chinese-made submarines worth 355 million dollars each may be purchased by Thailand for its Royal Navy, the newspaper Bangkok Post reported on Friday, citing a source in the country's procurement committee.

The decision was made on Thursday, when the majority of the 17-strong committee said "yes" to the Chinese submarines, saying that it was the "best value for money". Other committee members remained split between offers from South Korea and Germany.

According to the source, the committee voted to buy the Chinese submarines because they are "equipped with superior weaponry and technology and are also able to stay underwater longer."

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/asia/20150626/1023868397.html

-- SPUTNIK News 2015-06-26

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how will the Thai military use submarines against their own people? More guns, rubber bullets and wire ties would be more useful.

Let me guess, you live in Isaan. Down here in the more salubrious coastal areas, we have ferries, fishing boats, cruise liners, merchant marine and other targets of opportunity. OTOH, we see the military more as protection from mercenary thugs.

But how will the Thai military use submarines against their own people? More guns, rubber bullets and wire ties would be more useful.

Let me guess, you live in Isaan. Down here in the more salubrious coastal areas, we have ferries, fishing boats, cruise liners, merchant marine and other targets of opportunity. OTOH, we see the military more as protection from mercenary thugs.

So where do you live which mercenary thugs are a problem? Just the other day you said you lived in QLD?

why don't they make them for themselves ?

oh I forgot, Thailand can't actually design and make anything for themselves - vehicles - electronics - infrastructure - heavy industry - railroads - aircraft - Pharma all of which are foreign technologies - they are the hub of wishful thinking all resulting from misdirected funds/corruption and an underfunded inept education system, the only thing they are good at is abusing tourists and greed

- 3rd world

Edited by smedly

So where do you live which mercenary thugs are a problem? Just the other day you said you lived in QLD?

Lalaland?

oh I forgot, Thailand can't actually design and make anything for themselves - vehicles - electronics - infrastructure - heavy industry - railroads - aircraft - Pharma all of which are foreign technologies - they are the hub of wishful thinking all resulting from misdirected funds/corruption and an underfunded inept education system, the only thing they are good at is abusing tourists and greed

- 3rd world

They make good som tam, and counterfeit watches, clothes and DVDs actually, maybe this all comes from China too!! 5555 Edited by Fat Haggis

Haha, are these the same mercenary thugs that pay bribes to the navy? Naive much

Short term memory loss again? I WORK for 6 months of the year in Qld, I LIVE in Thailand. Much of this situation is brought about by changes in the Oz pension regulations where residence is required for the last 2 years before claiming the OAP. By working 6 months, I become a tax resident, which makes it hard to dispute my residence status even if I am abroad much of the year. The money is nice, too, even if much less than I earned before becoming incapacitated.

No, mercenary thugs are not a problem on Samui TYVM.

- 3rd world

Designing one from scratch would be a hugely expensive and time consuming - it is much cheaper to buy a made unit or tested design. AFAIK they don't even have the ship-building capacity to construct from a design.

Oz is going through a similar debate, not even sure where they are up to with it. IIRC China is NOT considered a source.

Down with the populists investing in schools, health care, medicines, agriculture, industry ! Taxpayers money shouldn't be wasted in that way !

Just buy billions of dollars in weapons (to massacre the starving population when it protests). That's what Thailand needs......to keep being the pariah of the world.....

What a waste of money. Over a billion dollars for 3 useless submarines, which will be permanently moored within 5 years.

I wish they had used this money to upgrade airports, more international fibre-optic internet cables, and other useful infrastructure.

I searched on Ebay, and I hope they change their minds and get these instead. I see 2 people are already watching .... so hurry.

post-100612-0-67343600-1435305417_thumb.