A 2 Year first Driver's Licence. A mistake or luck?

owenm

No such thing as an international license so would have zero benefit/validity in any country.

Care to expand on your statement ? OR, are you being pedantic, International Drivers Permit, is that acceptable ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares about a Thai licence. It's s total waste of time & money having one.

Name the benefits of a Thai licence over a western one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Police don't hassle me about a motorcycle class on my USA license

I use my Thai DL as ID when buying SIMS or picking up packages at the Post Office and don't need to carry my passport risking losing it

In the event of an accident I would prefer to be legal to reduce liability

I get Thai rates when visiting numerous venues that charge more for farangs

It lends legitimacy to various incidents where my ID is required

No such thing as an international license so would have zero benefit/validity in any country.

Care to expand on your statement ? OR, are you being pedantic, International Drivers Permit, is that acceptable ?

The correct terminology makes all the difference.

Thai licences run until your next birthday after the 1 year (or 5 years), so if you've just had a birthday you're in luck.

No, new licenses are 2 years now, not 1 anymore.

Sorry, just noted it was corrected already.

When did this start exactly? I got my temp MC DL in March and its good for 1 year only. And it took 3 days to get! My birthday is in January.

When did this start exactly? I got my temp MC DL in March and its good for 1 year only. And it took 3 days to get! My birthday is in January.

23 March as written in post #39!

And of course it affects only newly issued driving licenses from then on.

Existing DLs are not affected (prolonged) in any way.

I just got an international license based on my Thai license. Probably worthless to drive in another country so no benefits for me as one poster suggested....

The very purpose of the IDP is to allow you drive in another country. I've never had a Thai IDP but my Aussie issued one specifically states that it cannot be used to drive in Australia..i.e. the country of issue.

Read the fine print on you "international license" and it probably says the same thing - not valid for use in Thailand.

I know exactly how IDPs work, sorry you missed my sarcasm....

Side note, DANG easy to get the IDP in Phuket.

Rocketboy, i think you'll find that you cannot drive legally on a foreign licence, without having an IDP (valid 1 year only) accompanying it...and only if you are a tourist, and even then it has to be in english. If you have an accident, the insurance company will use that not to pay out.

IDP is not required provided home license is in English and has a photo.

Absolutely 100% wrong.

Will you get ticketed...maybe not, but you couldn't be more wrong.

No, I'm correct.

Rocketboy, i think you'll find that you cannot drive legally on a foreign licence, without having an IDP (valid 1 year only) accompanying it...and only if you are a tourist, and even then it has to be in english. If you have an accident, the insurance company will use that not to pay out.

IDP is not required provided home license is in English and has a photo.

Absolutely 100% wrong.

Will you get ticketed...maybe not, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Sorry, but stevenl is 100% correct.

Under the Geneva Convention Treaty, a foreign licence is legally accepted in Thailand provided it is written in English and has a photo, for the validity of that licence.

IDP's are required for those who's licences are not in English, because an IDP has translations in English within the booklet.

The problem as already mentioned is that nearly all Insurers will void any claim using a foreign licence or IDP after 3 months.

So for the first 3 months on a Visa exempt, Tourist Visa, or Non Imm O Visa your legal to drive with a home Country licence in English or an IDP.

After 3 months, your not classified as being a temporary visitor, so you then need a Thai licence in order to drive legally whilst being insured.

You may not have any issues until you have an accident, but then you may be liable for all costs to damage and injury.

almost 100% correct ;-)

some IDP are longer valid, as is mine for 3 years...

Some insurance company's might have some kind off clause in it, not most off them ( i would like to see one picture of such contract .... )

and not all off your insurance is void, but might be the first class part or some extra's

The statement is "valid drivers license" in my contract... nothing about Thai drivers license...

Some fun on the road if stopped by the police and you have all copy's to show ... nobody takes your license to the station... being polite, a big smile and of you go again...

And before that the temporary licence was exactly one year irrespective of when your birthday is.

And having two years on your temporary licence may not really be an advantage. For one thing you can't get an IDP on a temporary licence, which could be a problem for some.

Sophon

Yes but he can surely get it on his Victorian licence, here or in Aust. I would have thought, but in many countries an Aussie licence will be fine, if he needs to go elsewhere. As he has a three entry permit he is probably going to be in Aus soon anyway.

Under the Geneva Convention Treaty, a foreign licence is legally accepted in Thailand provided it is written in English and has a photo, for the validity of that licence.

IDP's are required for those who's licences are not in English, because an IDP has translations in English within the booklet.

That is incorrect. I have a copy of the 1949 Geneva agreement and it does not say that.

Any country may decide to accept a foreign license WITHOUT the IDP if the license is in English but that is not part of the international agreement but a decision of each individual country.

In Pattaya I was stopped last week at a license check and while showing my Thai license the officer with the guy behind me asked him for his IDP. The cop even showed him a paper with a picture of an IDP.

On a related topic. Most of the talk about IDP's usually refers to the 1949 Geneva Convention. There was a newer 1968 Vienna Convention also (with a 1993 amendment). The 1968 convention allows the IDP to be issued for a 3 year period. One poster here mentioned that he has one of those 3 year IDP's.

The issue with the 1968 convention is that neither Thailand nor any of the English speaking countries signed it (the UK signed it but it was not a "full" signature agreeing to it).

The 1968 agreement has a provision in the agreement to accept a foreign license without needing an IDP. The first requirement for that part of the agreement is that the license must say “permis de conduire” in French.

That is incorrect. I have a copy of the 1949 Geneva agreement and it does not say that.

Any country may decide to accept a foreign license WITHOUT the IDP if the license is in English but that is not part of the international agreement but a decision of each individual country.

In Pattaya I was stopped last week at a license check and while showing my Thai license the officer with the guy behind me asked him for his IDP. The cop even showed him a paper with a picture of an IDP.

Officer can ask what he wants, but IDP is not legally required, with a few provisions.

Officer can ask what he wants, but IDP is not legally required, with a few provisions.

So I assume you are now changing your story and saying Thai law doesn't require the IDP ?

Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long, and when, where and how to get a Thai licence issued for use in Thailand...

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice:

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

• For information about treaties recognised by the Department of Land Transport: Click here (in Thai)

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

I had an Aussie licence, IDP and residency cert from Australian embassy and got Thai car and bike licences. Only test was colour blindness test. No video, driving or anything. In and out in under an hour in Chiang Mai.

When...?

30/06/2014

Went in the afternoon around 3.00pm

Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long, and when, where and how to get a Thai licence issued for use in Thailand...

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice:

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

• For information about treaties recognised by the Department of Land Transport: Click here (in Thai)

The link you have at the bottom is the page on how to apply for a Thai license. It just says you don't need the IDP to apply for a Thai license.

The information above the link has a number of mistakes and appears to be from some third party source which means it is of no use as a reference.

I'm open to believing that Thailand doesn't require an IDP but your info does not support it. If you have a credible reference I'll be happy to admit my mistake.

As I said, what's the benefits!

A western licence also does all the above

Next?

When in Rome, all are free to act as if they are back home.

I am not a legal expert, but I believe if you live here full-time, the "western license" is not valid.

One may face criminal and/or civil problems after having had an accident when it is revealed that the license being driven on is "invalid".

Insurance coverage is also to be considered as one must have a "valid license" for the policy to be in effect.

Everyone is free to decide what is best for them. I opt to comply with the laws of the country I live in, in this case, Thailand.

I have found that those that break one law for convenience, find it easier to justify breaking other laws as well.

The link you have at the bottom is the page on how to apply for a Thai license. It just says you don't need the IDP to apply for a Thai license.

The information above the link has a number of mistakes and appears to be from some third party source which means it is of no use as a reference.

I'm open to believing that Thailand doesn't require an IDP but your info does not support it. If you have a credible reference I'll be happy to admit my mistake.

Up to you to believe it or not. But that link is the best and most reliable information here about validity of foreign licenses.

So I assume you are now changing your story and saying Thai law doesn't require the IDP ?

That's what I have been saying for years and years already. IDP is not legally required, home license is sufficient provided in English and has photo.

To complete it, a "quote" from another thread where I wrote this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/page-57#entry9547817

----------------------------

A press release from the DLT dated 18 March 2015 confirms that all temporary licenses are now valid for two years.

In Thai only:

http://www.dlt.go.th...¸˜à¹Œ&Itemid=87

It came into effect on Monday, March 23 2015.

The rule for the "5 year" DL is unchanged.

Step daughter renewed on June 18 2015.

Her birthday being June 17.

Validity of new DL until 17 June 2021, 6 years minus one day.

I renewed my third five year license in May, was already 2 weeks expired and got my 6 years.again. Expires on my birthday, beginning of May.

Can't believe how stupid some people can be, like the rocket science boy. I almost got killed when a speeding pick up truck, doing a red light hit mine,

But on the other hand, assuming rocketboy's one of the Morons on a bicycle, there's no need for a driver's license.Sorry, meant Mormons.

The first thing the cops and the insurance wanted to see was my driver's license.

To complete it, a "quote" from another thread where I wrote this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/page-57#entry9547817

A press release from the DLT dated 18 March 2015 confirms that all temporary licenses are now valid for two years.

In Thai only:

http://www.dlt.go.th...¸˜à¹Œ&Itemid=87

It came into effect on Monday, March 23 2015.

The rule for the "5 year" DL is unchanged.

Step daughter renewed on June 18 2015.

Her birthday being June 17.

Validity of new DL until 17 June 2021, 6 years minus one day.

I renewed my third five year license in May, was already 2 weeks expired and got my 6 years.again. Expires on my birthday, beginning of May.

Can't believe how stupid some people can be, like the rocket science boy. I almost got killed when a speeding pick up truck, doing a red light hit mine,

But on the other hand, assuming rocketboy's one of the Morons on a bicycle, there's no need for a driver's license.Sorry, meant Mormons.

The first thing the cops and the insurance wanted to see was my driver's license.

You say: "The first thing the cops and the insurance wanted to see was my driver's license. " and in the same message: " I renewed my third five year license in May, was already 2 weeks expired". You do realise you did not have a valid license in those 2 weeks? It can still be renewed without extra's (can be done up to one year, after that more tests are required), but that does not extend the validity of the license.

If staying 3 months plus it is legally required.

rocketboy...... All the benefits have been given already. For me it's invaluable a ID in place of my passport. It takes little time and money to get and recommended for anyone that lives here even if they choose not to drive. Whenever I get stopped as soon as I flash the licence I'm waived on. I drove here for a few years on my UK licence and although I never had a problem with police checks they did spend a few moments examining the UK licence and IDP before waiving me on.

Re: stevenl....... Has anyone actually seen an official document confirming this as a legal requirement? If it is true, and I'm not saying it's not, it must be written law or regulation. I can't think of one logical reason that Thai authorities would insist on a rule like this. And Insurance companies would only insist if it were law.

My brother in law had an accident in my car yesterday so today I had to take it to the insurance company. While I was there I asked the girl processing the claim if she knew of this rule/law and she said no. She said that if I had an accident my UK licence would be ok regardless of how long I've lived here. I asked the same question to the insurance assessor and he also said that a UK licence was valid. My insurance policy document only says valid licence and nothing specifying a Thai licence.

So it would be great if someone could back up this claim with fact because I'm beginning to think it's just a rumour that has become fact over time.

rocketboy...... All the benefits have been given already. For me it's invaluable a ID in place of my passport. It takes little time and money to get and recommended for anyone that lives here even if they choose not to drive. Whenever I get stopped as soon as I flash the licence I'm waived on. I drove here for a few years on my UK licence and although I never had a problem with police checks they did spend a few moments examining the UK licence and IDP before waiving me on.

Re: stevenl....... Has anyone actually seen an official document confirming this as a legal requirement? If it is true, and I'm not saying it's not, it must be written law or regulation. I can't think of one logical reason that Thai authorities would insist on a rule like this. And Insurance companies would only insist if it were law.

My brother in law had an accident in my car yesterday so today I had to take it to the insurance company. While I was there I asked the girl processing the claim if she knew of this rule/law and she said no. She said that if I had an accident my UK licence would be ok regardless of how long I've lived here. I asked the same question to the insurance assessor and he also said that a UK licence was valid. My insurance policy document only says valid licence and nothing specifying a Thai licence.

So it would be great if someone could back up this claim with fact because I'm beginning to think it's just a rumour that has become fact over time.

Badly written English in some respects but believe this comes from the DLT in BKK, but the 90 day thing is referred to, further referring to the English language version of the traffic law, if you have tourist visa /visa waiver you can drive on an international DL/home license, but if you are not a tourist, you need a Thai DL, at least that my reading of it

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered. Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

English version extract of traffic law

Motoring Act of 1979

Title 3: Driver's License

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver's license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there's a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver's license, an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

So my reading is...90 days or more and/or your claiming Thai residency on a an Extension/Visa and not a bono fide tourist, you need a Thai DL...thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

An advantage of 2 years over 1 is those that don't qualify for a 5 year license only need to renew half as frequently and for those people that will be a good thing. The disadvantage is for others it seems you must wait a year longer for a full thai license of which there are numerous subtle benefits. For instance, you may not be aware social drinking is not allowed on a temporary license as the blood alcohol level you have to meet is almost 0. And there are other differences.

Umm I'm pretty sure that you can still upgrade to the 5-year licence after 1-year on the 2-year one. The reason they extended it is so you won't be driving on an expired licence and now have an extra year to get it upgraded while retaining it's validity. On the other hand, it may no longer be legal to extend your licence to a 5-year one outside of the 2-year validity period, otherwise you'll have to start from scratch.

An advantage of 2 years over 1 is those that don't qualify for a 5 year license only need to renew half as frequently and for those people that will be a good thing. The disadvantage is for others it seems you must wait a year longer for a full thai license of which there are numerous subtle benefits. For instance, you may not be aware social drinking is not allowed on a temporary license as the blood alcohol level you have to meet is almost 0. And there are other differences.

Umm I'm pretty sure that you can still upgrade to the 5-year licence after 1-year on the 2-year one. The reason they extended it is so you won't be driving on an expired licence and now have an extra year to get it upgraded while retaining it's validity. On the other hand, it may no longer be legal to extend your licence to a 5-year one outside of the 2-year validity period, otherwise you'll have to start from scratch.

What is the basis for these opinions?

It is valid in almost every Asian country.

The Thai police wave you on at traffic stops instead of trying to shake you down.

You can use it as ID to board internal flights, open bank accounts, book into hotels.

You can get into dual priced venues for the Thai price (maybe).

You can use it as ID to register your Thai SIM card (compulsory from next month).

What about insurance? Will they insure you to drive in Thailand for any length of time without one?

Badly written English in some respects but believe this comes from the DLT in BKK, but the 90 day thing is referred to, further referring to the English language version of the traffic law, if you have tourist visa /visa waiver you can drive on an international DL/home license, but if you are not a tourist, you need a Thai DL, at least that my reading of it

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered. Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

English version extract of traffic law

Motoring Act of 1979

Title 3: Driver's License

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver's license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there's a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver's license, an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

So my reading is...90 days or more and/or your claiming Thai residency on a an Extension/Visa and not a bono fide tourist, you need a Thai DL...thumbsup.gif

Thanks for that Soutpeel.

I had a copy of the Land Traffic Act 1979, but couldn't find the Motoring Act 1979 anywhere and assumed they were one and the same.

Archived