A 2 Year first Driver's Licence. A mistake or luck?

owenm

I recently arrived on a 3 entry tourist visa from Australia, and four days after I arrived and in one day, managed to have a 2 Year Car Driver's Licence in my hand, as well as a Bangkok Bank passbook and ATM Visa card.

I had my IDP and Victorian car license, a letter of residential address in Nakhon Ratchasima, copies of everything including my passport details page, tourist visa, TM card, spare passport photos. I was of the opinion that Immigration no longer supplied residential certs but all done at Korat Immigration, for purposes of obtaining a Motor Driver's Licence. At a cost Bt.1005 plus photocopies and passport photos, about another Bt.80. I'd heard that previously Bt. 200 - 400 was the norm for a residential cert, but in my instance, maybe because of my tourist visa, it cost me a lot more!!

Next, 40km drive back to Pakthongchai, where I'm staying. Local doctor for a cert., Bt.50, then Motor Driver's Office, show the docs, ok, tested for colour blindness, ok, foot pedal test for green light and red light. Passed. No depth perception test, no video test, no driving test. Bt.205 paid, come back in 90 minutes. I mentioned that the month of my DOB was incorrect on their docs, they said they would fix. They didn't fix. First licence has July 1 as my birth date, then next has Sept 1 which is correct, but with 2 year expiry in 2017!! Not normal, I wouldn't expect. But their stuff up, not mine!!

I now have my Thai Temporary Motor Licence, with 2 yr expiry, then I go to the local branch of Bangkok Bank to apply for a new bank account, my first bank account in Thailand. I need a wife, guarantor or sponsor to vouch for me. Ridiculous, I'm depositing money. Bt. 10,000, Thai Drivers License as ID, which has an address. Tourist Visa 3 entry. Bt.300 extra for a chipped ATM Visa card, no name on it, but set up my own Pin. Showed a few Aussie banking cards, photocopy the face.

30 minutes after walking in, walk out with my new Bangkok Bank passbook and my new ATM Visa card. So all in all, had a reasonably successful day.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And before that the temporary licence was exactly one year irrespective of when your birthday is.

And having two years on your temporary licence may not really be an advantage. For one thing you can't get an IDP on a temporary licence, which could be a problem for some.

Sophon

Who cares about a Thai licence. It's s total waste of time & money having one.

Name the benefits of a Thai licence over a western one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is valid in almost every Asian country.

The Thai police wave you on at traffic stops instead of trying to shake you down.

You can use it as ID to board internal flights, open bank accounts, book into hotels.

You can get into dual priced venues for the Thai price (maybe).

You can use it as ID to register your Thai SIM card (compulsory from next month).

Rocketboy, i think you'll find that you cannot drive legally on a foreign licence, without having an IDP (valid 1 year only) accompanying it...and only if you are a tourist, and even then it has to be in english. If you have an accident, the insurance company will use that not to pay out.

Rocketboy, i think you'll find that you cannot drive legally on a foreign licence, without having an IDP (valid 1 year only) accompanying it...and only if you are a tourist, and even then it has to be in english. If you have an accident, the insurance company will use that not to pay out.

IDP is not required provided home license is in English and has a photo.

Thai licences run until your next birthday after the 1 year (or 5 years), so if you've just had a birthday you're in luck.

No, new licenses are 2 years now, not 1 anymore.

Sorry, just noted it was corrected already.

If staying 3 months plus it is legally required.

Me thinks rocket boy has either been sniffing the rocket fuel or is trying for the "smart arse" award of the year.

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licenses/

"If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's license. However, those with a foreign license as described above or an International Drivers License are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licenses are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign license."

Smart Arse Post Award... Vote 1... Rocket Boy.

An advantage of 2 years over 1 is those that don't qualify for a 5 year license only need to renew half as frequently and for those people that will be a good thing. The disadvantage is for others it seems you must wait a year longer for a full thai license of which there are numerous subtle benefits. For instance, you may not be aware social drinking is not allowed on a temporary license as the blood alcohol level you have to meet is almost 0. And there are other differences.

IDP is not required provided home license is in English and has a photo.

Absolutely 100% wrong.

Will you get ticketed...maybe not, but you couldn't be more wrong.

It can be used as an ID to cover banking transactions, check into Thai hotels, enter attractions as the same price as locals and generally the police hassle you less when you show them one. It also allows a resident to drive in Thailand unlike a foreign one.

As I said, what's the benefits!

A western licence also does all the above

Next?

If you are here for more than 3 months then your "foreign" license is no longer valid, unless you have an international driving license. As has been stated on other posts, you will be driving illegally, your insurance will be void and if you have an accident you will be taken to the cleaners!

It is valid in almost every Asian country.

The Thai police wave you on at traffic stops instead of trying to shake you down.

You can use it as ID to board internal flights, open bank accounts, book into hotels.

You can get into dual priced venues for the Thai price (maybe).

You can use it as ID to register your Thai SIM card (compulsory from next month).

Thank you Mae----------- you have just shot a "rocket" down clap2.gifcheesy.gif

It's alooong time since I had a temporary licence.

I stand corrected, thanks smile.png

so you have to wait 2 years now before getting your full license ? bummer...rolleyes.gif

He can still apply for the 5 year after having the temporary for 1 year. No need to wait for it to expire

Are the licenses issued for exactly 2 years or to expire on birthday (1 year + until next birthday)? Could be good for any period between 1 and 2 years depending on when you apply and when your next birthday is if that is the case.

I have just got my first Thai car licence valid from Feb 2015 to Feb 2016, but got my first motorbike licence in May, valid from May 2015 to May 2017 (two years). Will both of these licences be transferable to a 5 year licence when the time arrives?

Archived