A 2 Year first Driver's Licence. A mistake or luck?

owenm

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares about a Thai licence. It's s total waste of time & money having one.

Name the benefits of a Thai licence over a western one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be used as an ID to cover banking transactions, check into Thai hotels, enter attractions as the same price as locals and generally the police hassle you less when you show them one. It also allows a resident to drive in Thailand unlike a foreign one.

Plus you can, like me use it to hire a car in UK so no points on UK licence if you happen to go over speed restriction, no address in UK so no postal fine.

One young guy in car hire company did ask if I had a UK address for that very reason, my reply, you think I will respond from Thailand, he smiled and didn't bother to ask again.

I have just got my first Thai car licence valid from Feb 2015 to Feb 2016, but got my first motorbike licence in May, valid from May 2015 to May 2017 (two years). Will both of these licences be transferable to a 5 year licence when the time arrives?

That answers my question about validity and expiration dates. So it is for a full two years and does not expire on birthday like the 5 year license.

You should still be able to apply for the 5 year license once you've had them for 1 year.

I have just got my first Thai car licence valid from Feb 2015 to Feb 2016, but got my first motorbike licence in May, valid from May 2015 to May 2017 (two years). Will both of these licences be transferable to a 5 year licence when the time arrives?

That answers my question about validity and expiration dates. So it is for a full two years and does not expire on birthday like the 5 year license.

You should still be able to apply for the 5 year license once you've had them for 1 year.

Yes your correct as my birthday is in April.

It is valid in almost every Asian country.

The Thai police wave you on at traffic stops instead of trying to shake you down.

You can use it as ID to board internal flights, open bank accounts, book into hotels.

You can get into dual priced venues for the Thai price (maybe).

You can use it as ID to register your Thai SIM card (compulsory from next month).

Thank you Mae----------- you have just shot a "rocket" down clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Does not solve the wider issue of the vast amount of incorrect information already spread and being spread around by the Rocketboys.

Particularly the newbies and gullible suffer,

"Oh, but Rocketboy said it is unncessessay and he has been doing it for 13 years, so must be OK".

"I can't open a bank account because Numbnuts said I couldn't".

etc etc.

Think about what would happen if you had an accident, what about insurance, is that a waste of time too?

We can all make mistakes at anything we do, so what if you harm or kill some innocent road user or pedestrian?

Are you going to compensate them if it is your fault?

To complete it, a "quote" from another thread where I wrote this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/page-57#entry9547817

----------------------------

A press release from the DLT dated 18 March 2015 confirms that all temporary licenses are now valid for two years.

In Thai only:

http://www.dlt.go.th...¸˜à¹Œ&Itemid=87

It came into effect on Monday, March 23 2015.

----------------------------

The rule for the "5 year" DL is unchanged.

Step daughter renewed on June 18 2015.

Her birthday being June 17.

Validity of new DL until 17 June 2021, 6 years minus one day.

Are the licenses issued for exactly 2 years or to expire on birthday (1 year + until next birthday)? Could be good for any period between 1 and 2 years depending on when you apply and when your next birthday is if that is the case.

Tempory license is issued for exactly two years (no "birthday alignment").

It might be worth to know that you are not allowed to drive a car to a neighbouring country with a temporary license.

About the only limitation I am aware of.

Thai licence is a great investment. Very cheap and can save you heaps where dual pricing is concerned. Also great checking into hotels and taking domestic flights. But I'm paranoid about losing my passport. Whereas I wouldn't give a fig if I lost the licence. Just get a new one for a few hundred baht.

It is valid in almost every Asian country.

The Thai police wave you on at traffic stops instead of trying to shake you down.

You can use it as ID to board internal flights, open bank accounts, book into hotels.

You can get into dual priced venues for the Thai price (maybe).

You can use it as ID to register your Thai SIM card (compulsory from next month).

1: so is every other

2: how can they see if you have a Thai drivers license when they wave you ??

3: so can my passport

4: same goes for my Thai smile ;-)

5: So can my passport

Take it with a smile and a wink of the eye ...

hii to all regarding your post ,the benefits are a lot ,i arrived 3 months ago in chaing mai and got stopped 5 times by the police 5 times 400 bart in their pockets ,so i got my paperwork together went and got my car licence after showing them my uk one 205 bart valid 2 years sat my motorbike e test failed 4 times ha ha then i passed did the actual driving test a 10 minute thing and now after parting with 105 bart have two thai licences ,no more bother from the police and good for id everywhere ,i have been stopped a further 4 times by the cops after waving my licence under their noses a quick glance only mind you bye bye

hii to all regarding your post ,the benefits are a lot ,i arrived 3 months ago in chaing mai and got stopped 5 times by the police 5 times 400 bart in their pockets ,so i got my paperwork together went and got my car licence after showing them my uk one 205 bart valid 2 years sat my motorbike e test failed 4 times ha ha then i passed did the actual driving test a 10 minute thing and now after parting with 105 bart have two thai licences ,no more bother from the police and good for id everywhere ,i have been stopped a further 4 times by the cops after waving my licence under their noses a quick glance only mind you bye bye

1) about a quarter the cost of an Aussie 5 year licence!!

Rocketboy, i think you'll find that you cannot drive legally on a foreign licence, without having an IDP (valid 1 year only) accompanying it...and only if you are a tourist, and even then it has to be in english. If you have an accident, the insurance company will use that not to pay out.

IDP is not required provided home license is in English and has a photo.

Absolutely 100% wrong.

Will you get ticketed...maybe not, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Sorry, but stevenl is 100% correct.

Under the Geneva Convention Treaty, a foreign licence is legally accepted in Thailand provided it is written in English and has a photo, for the validity of that licence.

IDP's are required for those who's licences are not in English, because an IDP has translations in English within the booklet.

The problem as already mentioned is that nearly all Insurers will void any claim using a foreign licence or IDP after 3 months.

So for the first 3 months on a Visa exempt, Tourist Visa, or Non Imm O Visa your legal to drive with a home Country licence in English or an IDP.

After 3 months, your not classified as being a temporary visitor, so you then need a Thai licence in order to drive legally whilst being insured.

You may not have any issues until you have an accident, but then you may be liable for all costs to damage and injury.

Me thinks rocket boy has either been sniffing the rocket fuel or is trying for the "smart arse" award of the year.

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licenses/

"If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's license. However, those with a foreign license as described above or an International Drivers License are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licenses are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign license."

Smart Arse Post Award... Vote 1... Rocket Boy.

Seconded....hope no-one gets hurt, but would love to see how RBoy gets on with his insurance if he was to have an accident...

I had an Aussie licence, IDP and residency cert from Australian embassy and got Thai car and bike licences. Only test was colour blindness test. No video, driving or anything. In and out in under an hour in Chiang Mai.

I have registered the car on my Thai wifes name -

so she got the good purchase credit !

2nd - I don't get any speed tickets in my mailbox ! :-))

How does registering the car in the wife's name improve her credit rating ?

It can be used as a ID card,...you can get into national parks for the same price Thais pay.....this is just what comes in mind for now but good enough....

At police road checks they let you go easier if you show a Thai driving licence....happened to me!

I just got an international license based on my Thai license. Probably worthless to drive in another country so no benefits for me as one poster suggested....

The very purpose of the IDP is to allow you drive in another country. I've never had a Thai IDP but my Aussie issued one specifically states that it cannot be used to drive in Australia..i.e. the country of issue.

Read the fine print on you "international license" and it probably says the same thing - not valid for use in Thailand.

Archived