Advice for driving BIG bikes in Thailand

kannot

OK so Ill probably be buying the Cbr 650f, its not a crazy bike, Ive driven bikes since I was 18 started on a 250cc (1982) and went through various others up until about 4-5 years ago on a Suzuki gsx 1100s katana Final edition, Ive had super sports and cruisers last Super sport was a Suzy GSXR1100N and a Suzy GsxR 750wn so I know how to handle the power.

What i want now is advice on "how to ride in Thailand"

I see scooters keeping left permanently, do you drive your big bikes like that? Do you NOT stop at right turn junctions in the middle of the road to turn right or do what scooters do and stop on the hard shoulder on the left, wait for a gap then bomb over to the right hand side of the road then drive the wrong way up that round the junction. I really dont fancy doing that but its what the Thai drivers expect Ill have to follow etc

Last thing i want is some <deleted> driving into the back of me.

Traffic lights?? Stay in the middle of your lane, or shove to the front with all the scooters

Would I be safer/ better driving as if I was in my pick up?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever you do always check your 6... protect yourself. It is quite difficult to say, you should do this, drive like that, never do this... You see the riders, drivers.. rules.. are not enforced and it seem if you follow the common sense approach that might get you into trouble.. so just keep in mine.. yes Thailand, very different, protect yourself..

Head up.. on the pegs..thumbsup.gif

There was a topic about this not too long ago.

I ride a 650cc here and before that a Harley and are riding scooters as well.

I don't like to ride on the left side (shoulder) on my big bike, you got all the potholes and gravel and so on. I normally stay app on the middle of the road so I have 2 ways to go.

Traffic lights are dangerous here, since many bump the red lights so if you stop you might get rear ended as you mention, check you mirrors again and again and position yourself where it's safe or consider bumping the yellow lights if safer to do so.

When I reach a red traffic light, I always try to get up front and manage that in +99% of the time. LOOK before you take off when green, since as above, many bumps the red lights so make sure it's safe to go.

In my area we don't really have anywhere where you have to sit on the middle of the road to turn right but U-turns, so I keep right there, close to the shoulder.

I normally ride slightly faster than general traffic but looks in my mirrors all the time so I know what is going on around me 360 deg.

Try to "blend" in with the Thai traffic and don't go too fast when there a small side sois branching the highway you are riding on, small scooters often cross and if you come at 200km/h, they don't see you coming.

What to you mean with your last sentence? Safer in a pick-up truck? Well maybe, it all depends, I have a pick-up truck as well but I enjoy the rides on my bike much more. In the truck I just sits in traffic jams and are not going anywhere, drives me nuts sometimes but I need the bloody thing since I have a family here.

A 650cc bike is a good choice for Thailand, the Honda's and Kawa's are made here so they are fairly priced and cheap to run.

Get a Class A insurance on your big bike, bail bond will be paid (hopefully not needed), theft, damage, fire, hospital bills and so on, all covered which gives you peace of mind when riding.

I don't like to ride on the left side (shoulder) on my big bike, you got all the potholes and gravel and so on. I normally stay app on the middle of the road so I have 2 ways to go.

Traffic lights are dangerous here, since many bump the red lights so if you stop you might get rear ended as you mention, check you mirrors again and again and position yourself where it's safe or consider bumping the yellow lights if safer to do so.

When I reach a red traffic light, I always try to get up front and manage that in +99% of the time. LOOK before you take off when green, since as above, many bumps the red lights so make sure it's safe to go.

In my area we don't really have anywhere where you have to sit on the middle of the road to turn right but U-turns, so I keep right there, close to the shoulder.

I normally ride slightly faster than general traffic but looks in my mirrors all the time so I know what is going on around me 360 deg.

Try to "blend" in with the Thai traffic and don't go too fast when there a small side sois branching the highway you are riding on, small scooters often cross and if you come at 200km/h, they don't see you coming.

What to you mean with your last sentence? Safer in a pick-up truck? Well maybe, it all depends, I have a pick-up truck as well but I enjoy the rides on my bike much more. In the truck I just sits in traffic jams and are not going anywhere, drives me nuts sometimes but I need the bloody thing since I have a family here.

A 650cc bike is a good choice for Thailand, the Honda's and Kawa's are made here so they are fairly priced and cheap to run.

Get a Class A insurance on your big bike, bail bond will be paid (hopefully not needed), theft, damage, fire, hospital bills and so on, all covered which gives you peace of mind when riding.

I mean should I ride the bike like I drive the pick up ie keep in the middle of the lane not in at the edge of the road ie treat the bike as if it were a small car taking up the room a car would on the road

I mean should I ride the bike like I drive the pick up ie keep in the middle of the lane not in at the edge of the road ie treat the bike as if it were a small car taking up the room a car would on the road

See Rhys post, there is no formula how to ride safe here.

I am all over the place when riding and try keeping my distance to other road users so I have time to react if they do something stupid (which they do sometimes, LOL).

Man, i would seriously consider you sticking to driving your pickup if you feel the need to ask such a question. ...truely bizarre.

Advice for driving BIG bikes in Thailand?

Avoid driving bikes at all costs - ride instead. huh.png

We would have to assume that English is not his native language, otherwise it would seem his experience isn't as advertised.

You ride/drive in or on any vehicle in this country and you are taking a bigger risk than in a vehicle in 98% of the other countries in the world. Thailand is #4 in the world in road fatalities averaging 38 road deaths per 100,000 inhabitants per year, only to be exceeded by Eritrea, Dominican Republic, and Libya.

By contrast, most European countries are less than 10% of Thailand's annual average.

Edited by WingNut

1st,how much do you like,care about like etc.If life is only so so to you,don't really care if you lived another day,then

Ride A 70cc up to A 2000 cc. If your really enjoying life,your in good health and want to stay that way,then don't gamble.

I've been riding since 1967,some in Thailand.I love motorcycling.But I have given it up in Thailand.The risks are so

Great on getting permantly hurt or killed.Good luck it's your life.

If you are riding a moped on a regular basis in traffic then riding a big bike in traffic is very similar but with the advantage that you get away from traffic much faster and can stay ahead of all the loony's, you usually have a better view and better brakes hence arguably your a bit safer

If you are not comfortable in traffic on a scooter you probably wont be comfortable on a big bike either but like many things the more you do it the easier it gets. If you have come from a place where filtering is not allowed or frowned on then you have a bit of learning to do as I reckon that is a vital skill to have in LOS but once you are happy with that Thai traffic gets way easier

Personally all the stuff about using the bike like its a pickup needs exorcising from your brain real quick as sitting behind cars in traffic without an escape route is not a recipe for a long and happy life....

1st,how much do you like,care about like etc.If life is only so so to you,don't really care if you lived another day,then

Ride A 70cc up to A 2000 cc. If your really enjoying life,your in good health and want to stay that way,then don't gamble.

I've been riding since 1967,some in Thailand.I love motorcycling.But I have given it up in Thailand.The risks are so

Absolute cobblers! I have no death wish and love my life and family but I will not be wrapping myself in cotton wool and waiting to die any time soon, if I thought like you I would never go to work and never leave the house and life would have been incredibly boring, live your life that doesn't have to mean being stupid but life IS risk!!

Understood. It's just that "driving a bike" is generally the language of non-riders.

Sheeeeeesh I see its turning into a shitfest with some of the replies, probably driven ( who cares) more bikes than you've had hot dinners, heres just a few including the gsx 250 stripped down (nut n bolt) and restored after 20 years to concourse. me at 18 ( 1982) on it then restored in 2002

My Uncle was UK grass track champion 5 years running back in the 1950's before I was born, you can google "Bill Evans" Grasstrack. I don't feel the need to go with the herd

Edited by kannot

If you are riding a moped on a regular basis in traffic then riding a big bike in traffic is very similar but with the advantage that you get away from traffic much faster and can stay ahead of all the loony's, you usually have a better view and better brakes hence arguably your a bit safer

If you are not comfortable in traffic on a scooter you probably wont be comfortable on a big bike either but like many things the more you do it the easier it gets. If you have come from a place where filtering is not allowed or frowned on then you have a bit of learning to do as I reckon that is a vital skill to have in LOS but once you are happy with that Thai traffic gets way easier

Personally all the stuff about using the bike like its a pickup needs exorcising from your brain real quick as sitting behind cars in traffic without an escape route is not a recipe for a long and happy life....

I don't think you understand what I mean by using my bike like a pick up, I want to know if sitting in the middle of any lane is done on BIG bikes or not, I often see big bikes driving like they were a small car and using the whole of a lane not cowering in at the side like scooters

Stolen from freebeerforyorky

IS This how YOU turn here on a bike at junctions on a BIG bike as this is what MOST scooters do to avoid getting rammed up the arse especially when turning off a big road to a smaller road.

Edited by kannot

Use your eyes like they are radars. Scan everything and be prepared. Always keep 100% focused. Have a rest if you find yoursef daydreaming.

Always leave yourself some wriggle room in the hills. Some of the corners here tighten up halfway around and you may have someone on your side of the road as well. Only nail it if you can see all the way through a corner. Never cross the centreline in a corner, the other side is not yours to use.

The grip varies here. Use the best tyres money can buy and always check your pressures. Learn to read the surface and what kind of road you are on.

Use your eyes like they are radars. Scan everything and be prepared. Always keep 100% focused. Have a rest if you find yoursef daydreaming.

Always leave yourself some wriggle room in the hills. Some of the corners here tighten up halfway around and you may have someone on your side of the road as well. Only nail it if you can see all the way through a corner. Never cross the centreline in a corner, the other side is not yours to use.

The grip varies here. Use the best tyres money can buy and always check your pressures. Learn to read the surface and what kind of road you are on.

Im more concerned with positioning on the road with other traffic, I learnt early on about white lines manhole covers, gravel in the centre and edge of roads, bitumen repair sealant etc, I never ever fell off a motorcycle in all my time riding in the UK or Thailand but I don't know what THAI drivers will expect me to do on a BIG bike in traffic fast or slow moving, Im expecting them to do absolutely ANYTHING at ANYTIME.

Stick to your lane and at traffic lights get to the front. Gun it when you go and leave all the madness behind you. Repeat. If a car doesnt like you being in their lane, gun it past a couple of cars and they will be stuck behind.

Its a war out there.

My Uncle was UK grass track champion 5 years running back in the 1950's before I was born, you can google "Bill Evans" Grasstrack. I don't feel the need to go with the herd

You want technical advice but want to be 'who cares' with your own terminology.

Strange thread

Here's a link on riding, well actually US MX nationals about to go live

http://stream.nbcsports.com/motocross/?pid=18032&nid=18031_1075

Edited by kaorop

You want technical advice but want to be 'who cares' with your own terminology.

Strange thread

Here's a link on riding, well actually US MX nationals about to go live

http://stream.nbcsports.com/motocross/?pid=18032&nid=18031_1075

I don't think "terminology" is going to kill me and Im asking about driving in THAILAND as normal rules don't apply here

I wrote a essay designed for Riders who have done advanced Training in England on applying our system of Roadcraft in Thailand.

I hope you find it interesting https://thairoadcraft.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/motorcycle-defensive-riding-in-thailand/

I have also posted a couple of videos of my riding in Thailand.

Hope they help. Shame there are not the abundance of training schools and advanced instructors like we have in the UK.

yawn.

Thai roads are basically a free for all. That's why you have the mortality statistics I provided earlier.

Thais drive passive aggressively. So always expect the unexpected.

The general rule of the road seems to be "He who gets there first has the right of way". Therefore that precludes and social or civil norms like right of way that you have on the road in most developed countries.

I wouldn't worry about things like where to place yourself in a lane for example since you are at even greater disadvantage just by being on motorcycle. Most cars don't even acknowledge your existence on the road. So just drive in whatever way you feel most greatly increases your chances of survival.

Sorry to sound cynical, but that's the sad reality out on the roads here I believe.

Thai roads are basically a free for all. That's why you have the mortality statistics I provided earlier.

Thais drive passive aggressively. So always expect the unexpected.

The general rule of the road seems to be "He who gets there first has the right of way". Therefore that precludes and social or civil norms like right of way that you have on the road in most developed countries.

I wouldn't worry about things like where to place yourself in a lane for example since you are at even greater disadvantage just by being on motorcycle. Most cars don't even acknowledge your existence on the road. So just drive in whatever way you feel most greatly increases your chances of survival.

Sorry to sound cynical, but that's the sad reality out on the roads here I believe.

I totally agree with most of what you say although you de propose an oxymoron.

The whole idea of defensive riding is that your position and speed is the best place at anyone time to avoid the hazards around you.

Ignoring lessons learned by others puts you in more danger rather than less.

Here is an example of what I mean:

You are welcome to come over to Facebook and join a group where there is loads more on this subject - facebook.com/groups/Thaimotorcycle

Defensive riding is not about right and wrong. It's about discussing ways for us all to be safer.

The skills you demonstrate that you have learned from experience of riding in Thailand could easily be shared, it is a shame you dismiss them.

It is a fact that Thai Riders demonstrate the same level of defensive riding skills than many trained American riders do.

Would it not be a better idea to try and share the techniques you use to keep yourself alive? As you seem to be doing ok at that so far?

I wrote a essay designed for Riders who have done advanced Training in England on applying our system of Roadcraft in Thailand.

I hope you find it interesting https://thairoadcraft.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/motorcycle-defensive-riding-in-thailand/

I have also posted a couple of videos of my riding in Thailand.

Hope they help. Shame there are not the abundance of training schools and advanced instructors like we have in the UK.

Thanks this is what I mean it shows positioning on the roads

Thing is an any one point in the ride I can tell you why I was where I was.

In many places if I was discussing it with someone who knows advanced riding then they might say "how about if you moved to the left a bit then you would have got a better view"

Or "could have made that overtake rather than sitting behind the truck"

Both would be valid points and we would both walk away from the discussion with a little more insight than we had before.

That's how we do it. Not right or wrong.

If you wanted to do some more reading then Motorcycle Roadcraft is a good place to start. So is http://nosurprise.org.uk/