Thai tourism to hit the skids if it can't overcome crises

webfact

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a long time resident who can actually see the empty restaurants, bars and sundry attractions, you're just going to have to take my word for it.

Or, you could try Googling Phuket Zero Baht Tourism.

So the one link is to a local newspaper about a meeting that is over 2 years old then about what might happen---the other link is "I live here trust me"

OK that seems to wrap it up for me KB......you win.............all completely irrefutable stuff.................coffee1.gif

Two other people who actually live here agree with me.

Do you actually know about the Chinese tours and how they work? There are many more than only one article on it.

Why would you take the word of a link from someone that doesn't live here over three people that do?

You're haven't really thought it through, have you?

You think I'm wrong, but, I KNOW I'm right. Why don't you yourself provide some links disproving my position?

Two other people who actually live here agree with me. And I KNOW I'm right.....clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Check out all the people that have posted, don't live here and also agree with me.

Have you actually read a post that didn't agree with what I've said?

Check the local Phuket news sources for the last couple of years. There are hundreds of articles.

Surprised that you didn't add an lol to your post. You seem the type.

As a long time resident who can actually see the empty restaurants, bars and sundry attractions, you're just going to have to take my word for it.

Or, you could try Googling Phuket Zero Baht Tourism.

So the one link is to a local newspaper about a meeting that is over 2 years old then about what might happen---the other link is "I live here trust me"

OK that seems to wrap it up for me KB......you win.............all completely irrefutable stuff.................coffee1.gif

Two other people who actually live here agree with me.

Do you actually know about the Chinese tours and how they work? There are many more than only one article on it.

Why would you take the word of a link from someone that doesn't live here over three people that do?

You're haven't really thought it through, have you?

You think I'm wrong, but, I KNOW I'm right. Why don't you yourself provide some links disproving my position?

Seriously KB just look back at my posts----I have provided that many links (none of them are 2 years old from local meetings talking about what might happen) to Visa/mastercard......etc etc showing how much money is being spent in Thailand by Chinese tourist---the answers that come back from people with your mind set is that its all a plot thought up by TAT & the government---so the last links I posted on Chinese tourism were from America'

For now, many countries are reaping the benefits. According to Brand USA, a tourism initiative launched by the American government, the average Chinese tourist spent $5,400 during their trip to the U.S., outspending other international tourists by 21 percent. These figures were released at the beginning of February-- Yes KB this not 2 years ago--http://www.ibtimes.com/chinese-tourists-break-spending-records-abroad-inbound-tourism-falls-1798196

You can find many figures on the Chinese spending in Thailand from Bloomberg bank to where ever ----but post them & you will be told its all lies & plots by TAT.

But after all you do not need to take any notice of the facts do ....as you stated........"I KNOW I'm right."-(KB)

I'm talking specifically about Phuket. Not the USA, not Thailand, but, Phuket. I'm not even talking about the Chinese. The Chinese go from hotel to bus to attraction to bus to hotel.

Maybe they spend X amount of dollars, but, most of that gets repatriated back to China. For the services that they do use, the margins are so thin due to the hefty commissions that have to be paid. Chinese money benefits a few, it's not spread out as it is with independent travellers.

I am here and can see with my own eyes as many others are and the Chinese are virtually the ONLY people here. You can stick up as many links as you want, I'll use my eyes. They're far more reliable than Thai statistics, which even foreign media have to rely on for their articles.

Where are your links on where all the European, Australian and US tourists have gone?

Was in Thailand..both Bangkok and Chiang Mai for two visits for a total of 6 months last year..I accept the drinks etc are not included in my approx figures but the prices you quote are so wrong..maybe they saw you coming..1000 -2000 for bar fine is nonsense...anyway I'll agree to disagree...try Foxy lady in Chiang Mai or any of the ground floor in Nana...nowhere near those prices your mentioning..

Schools out Nana..think that's the name..2400 plus 500 bar fine...Foxy lady Chiang Mai 2000 plus 600 both LT..fact..and both really fit..one stayed with me for 3 days from Nana...sorry mate..haggle a bit more..

Perfect example of clueless.

Last year for a a total of 6 months, so another expert , lol

Once you live full time for at least 15 years, then come back to teach me.

Interesting quote from you..have lived in Thailand since 1998 with months back in my home country during that time...that's 17 years by my reckoning..but I will give you not full time..however does you living there 15 years mean you disagree with my comments on prices...well actually I know you can't because that's what I payed and have pics to prove it..and the girls in question were gorgeous and indeed lovely company too..which as you have lived in Thailand for 15 years will know! They are not always ..anyway I will leave you with your unfounded thoughts...I was incidentally replying to someone you suggested I should visit Thailand...hence the above post regarding last year as it was most relevant..he didn't ask me for my history !! Edited by Nigeone

Sounds more like it's looking for excuses as they have been fudging the books as up until now, tourism has been so over whelming, the same aviation problems have always been there.

So by coming away with this preemptive statement it makes them not look so smarmy when numbers and recent are both down and not jamming with real stats.

Was in Thailand..both Bangkok and Chiang Mai for two visits for a total of 6 months last year..I accept the drinks etc are not included in my approx figures but the prices you quote are so wrong..maybe they saw you coming..1000 -2000 for bar fine is nonsense...anyway I'll agree to disagree...try Foxy lady in Chiang Mai or any of the ground floor in Nana...nowhere near those prices your mentioning..

Schools out Nana..think that's the name..2400 plus 500 bar fine...Foxy lady Chiang Mai 2000 plus 600 both LT..fact..and both really fit..one stayed with me for 3 days from Nana...sorry mate..haggle a bit more..

That's a little harsh! This guy was writing about his specific experiences, and a six month sample is more than enough to get a sense of what is currently going on - far from "clueless."

I've only lived here nine years, so I'm considered "clueless," too?

Thanks for the backup...have replied ..yes I did wonder about that too...is there kind of a time before you understand Thai life to a degree...he obviously things 15 years is the cut off point! You've had it too mate !

There are many more potential risks to Thai tourism than MERS and the aviation safety crisis that can cause a substantial adverse impact on Thailand. A few come to mind immediately:

- Russian promotion of Crimea for Russian tourism

- Greecian promotion of Greece with crash of Greek drachma

- terrorism in Tunisia vacation areas

- continued economic downturn in China

- increase in Thai household debt, domestic business closures and unemployment

- continued falling global agricultural prices

- continued negative export growth

- loss of seafood sales to EU and USA

- increased competition from ASEAN and partner countries

- abnormal weather

- resurgence of violence in the South

Then there is the "800-pound gorilla" ruling Thailand. The Junta has been increasing its stranglehold on civil liberties and rights in disportionate response to the slightest show of protests OF ANY KIND, whether political or not. It now holds a widely critisized draft 2015 constitution, forthcoming dissolution of the NLA, NRC and CDC, and possible delay to a democratic participatory governance until 2017.

Radicalization of Junta behavior and failing economy may adversely affect foreign tourism more than any other factor.

How will

affect tourism?

Actually you lost all credibility with "crash of Greek drachma"

Economic issues have the potential to create political conflict which, depending on how the Junta handle it, could have a big impact on tourism.

The other thing missing from the list above is an inevitable event that Thailand will have to face sometime in the future which could have a huge impact on the entertainment industry for a period of time.

There are many more potential risks to Thai tourism than MERS and the aviation safety crisis that can cause a substantial adverse impact on Thailand. A few come to mind immediately:

- abnormal weather

Then there is the "800-pound gorilla" ruling Thailand. The Junta has been increasing its stranglehold on civil liberties and rights in disportionate response to the slightest show of protests OF ANY KIND, whether political or not. It now holds a widely critisized draft 2015 constitution, forthcoming dissolution of the NLA, NRC and CDC, and possible delay to a democratic participatory governance until 2017.

Radicalization of Junta behavior and failing economy may adversely affect foreign tourism more than any other factor.

How will

affect tourism?

Economic issues have the potential to create political conflict which, depending on how the Junta handle it, could have a big impact on tourism.

The other thing missing from the list above is an inevitable event that Thailand will have to face sometime in the future which could have a huge impact on the entertainment industry for a period of time.

Yes I agree and mentioned it earlier..people I don't think realize how massively it could affect tourism..personally I think the country will come to a complete stop and god knows how long for because they will be a power struggle to follow too..not that there isn't anyway mind...it's not going to be healthy for tourism for sure..

A new movie The Coup No Escape due for release early September, wont help increase the tourist numbers for the high season.

So there really are people who can't tell the difference between excrement and shoe polish.

For new tourists thinking of visiting Thailand, with a military government, or SE Asia it might make them think twice. It wont have them rushing to make bookings like Lord of the Rings did for New Zealand or the Motorcycle Diaries and South America.

All was quiet up on the Moors after American Werewolf in London vampire.gif was screened in the early eighties wink.png

Of course it would help if the Government would install Sewage Disposal Plants in Ao Nang. Krabi, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui - INSTEAD of letting it run out to the sea... People have noses you know...

The Swedes raised a stink (pun intended) about Ao Nang Beach Sewage - helicopters flew over -- it was on the tv news - made the newspapers, a conference in Krabi with the Swedes representatives, Etc.

So what was done? ... You guessed it - Nothing ... made a bigger trench -- moved it to the end of the beach and put up a berm of sand to hide it ... No Sewage Treatment plant... Still smells to high heaven ...

Believe it or not -- a hotel in Ao Nang (and many other places) are only required (evidently) to put in a series of septic tanks with NO drainage fields -- 200 rooms -- 300 rooms -- and there are dozens of hotels... The big trench -- that does not even qualify as a Klong is all there is to drain it all away ... Fricken Amazing...

Sewage plants cost money. Kick the can down the road.

konying, on 29 Jun 2015 - 06:10, said:snapback.png

I could be wrong but if things were cheaper I think

tourists would be back.

Thailand is no longer the cheap destination it was.

Your are talking about the package holiday people, that might see it a better alternative than say, Tunisian beaches eh?

However I do not think cheapness is the prime factor. Thailand is still relatively cheap. My country certainly is not in the top as for tourist numbers, nothing like EU countries, but over the last five years Thailand has not had good press. This is not about Mers or Coups or airlines. It has to do with friendliness, rudeness and safety. It's been getting a bad rap in travel media, both national and local. How this is to be fixed remains to be seen. I doubt Thailand is very concerned about doing anything, so it will just continue

No I am not talking about packages.

Examples: in Australia I cam buy tshirt in Kmart for $5, in Thailand markets its 200 baht=$8

Female companion from a gogo can cost up to 10000 baht

Basically in past 3 years, exchange rate gone down while prices tripled.

A female companion from a gogo can cost up to 10000 baht. Yes maybe, if your got "stooge" stamped on your forehead. That's generally the price a would-be-if-they-could-be pays to an BKK agency to hire a companion for the night who is claimed to be a "mover star" or a "top model".

- abnormal weather

How will

affect tourism?

Yes I agree and mentioned it earlier..people I don't think realize how massively it could affect tourism..personally I think the country will come to a complete stop and god knows how long for because they will be a power struggle to follow too..not that there isn't anyway mind...it's not going to be healthy for tourism for sure..

I think there has been intentional damage done to the tourism industry by the Junta, but not overtly as that would reflect badly on them. Consider the internal power dynamics between the Junta and the Mafia who control the tourism industry...they are not on the same side. The Junta sees the mafias as one of their largest domestic threats, possibly more than university students and the UDD. And while Prayut has paid lip service to reviving tourism, he has also made a number of decisions that make Thailand less attractive as a tourist destination, from using military personnel to close bars down earlier, to saying pretty farang women should not risk wearing bikinis. I personally don't believe the military government is particularly interested in promoting tourism, because the proceeds tend to go to their adversaries, the mafias. We might think that Prayuth would be foolish to harm the nation, you have to wonder how he defines Thailand. I think he sees Thailand as himself and his allies. If tourism lags, it reduces the resource base of the mafias, which ultimately benefits him. As for the regular Thai people who survive from the tourist industry, to Prayuth they are just phrai ngo so, they'll get what he gives them. The Junta IS Thailand, everyone else needs "reforming."

Just realised your the guy who I was answering..well I'm really sorry but he you've lived here for 15 years and are spending 1000-2000 on bar fine and 4000 -6000 on go go girl plus drinks it's not me that's clueless...maybe you should meet up with me when I come over in September and I could save you some money...in fact a lot of money...there's a few people who've also answered your price you've payed with disdain too so obviously it's not just me who thinks you've been had for a sucker!

Just about now the TAT should start reporting that Tourism is up despite the problemsgiggle.gif

WHo will believe it other than Thais

Not Me

Its always a lie they don;t want to loose face

How about loosing money I think that is more important than face Don't you

It all comes down to a traveler's budget and what they want in terms of both experience and luxury. First time travelers come to see what they've heard about from others. Others come to languish in the seedier side of the "reputation" this place has had for decades.

I still believe Thailand is a bargain on many levels. Come during high season and pay the premium. That's the case to any travel destination. In terms of a slowdown, too many here are talking about price jumps on items that were cheaper before. Guess what..., prices are going up most everywhere in the world. Local businesses hurting, they started to raise prices because business was down, which is the exact opposite of what they should have done. The floods of 2012, then MOT for 6 months, followed by a coup (and all the uncertainty of it)..., all big impact events. But the supply side businesses, be they to retail or otherwise, it's a pass-through when costs go up.

Just had friends visit from Australia they come every year but as stated were surprised at regular accommodation they book here had risen sharply, stated they would be looking elsewhere next year

Unfortunately I am in the same boat.

Have had many friends from Europe come to visit but surprised over the huge price hike. and that they will look at other options like Vietnam next time

konying, on 29 Jun 2015 - 06:10, said:snapback.png

I could be wrong but if things were cheaper I think

tourists would be back.

Thailand is no longer the cheap destination it was.

Your are talking about the package holiday people, that might see it a better alternative than say, Tunisian beaches eh?

However I do not think cheapness is the prime factor. Thailand is still relatively cheap. My country certainly is not in the top as for tourist numbers, nothing like EU countries, but over the last five years Thailand has not had good press. This is not about Mers or Coups or airlines. It has to do with friendliness, rudeness and safety. It's been getting a bad rap in travel media, both national and local. How this is to be fixed remains to be seen. I doubt Thailand is very concerned about doing anything, so it will just continue

No I am not talking about packages.

Examples: in Australia I cam buy tshirt in Kmart for $5, in Thailand markets its 200 baht=$8

Female companion from a gogo can cost up to 10000 baht

Basically in past 3 years, exchange rate gone down while prices tripled.

That's right about t shirts etc. cheaper in the UK....sports direct and you can buy in XL XXL etc......impossible here XL + XXL Asian ....No Have...

A new movie The Coup No Escape due for release early September, wont help increase the tourist numbers for the high season.

So there really are people who can't tell the difference between excrement and shoe polish.

For new tourists thinking of visiting Thailand, with a military government, or SE Asia it might make them think twice. It wont have them rushing to make bookings like Lord of the Rings did for New Zealand or the Motorcycle Diaries and South America.

All was quiet up on the Moors after American Werewolf in London vampire.gif was screened in the early eighties wink.png

LOL I can see the value of the movies in promoting tourism to places like NZ and Sth America but American Werewolf stopping people going to the Moors in the UK?

BTW American Werewolf in London one of my favourite horror movies, probably wouldn't go to the moors anyway, look like a cold damp dump to me. However if you do go "Stick to the Roads stay off the Moors."

Thailand Tourism has gone through a big change! the demographics are totally different than a few years ago. Farang from Europe, america, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are way down and Chinese and Russians are on the rise, which amazes me because Thais are so proud of their culture, but now give prference to people that do not respect or even like your culture or people. I'm sure the number of visits is up, but the money spent per visit is way down.Just look in any restaurant or bar in Pattaya, ....no customers, but bus loads of Chinese and Russians come daily, but do not spend money!!!

Couldn't have anything to do with a brutal double homicide, or tourists dying in their hotel rooms from bug poison, or martial law, or cops demanding public urination. Each all over the internet.

Must be the "air crisis."

And to ad, we now have gun totting Thais on international flights.

No one in their right mind can rely on the garbled information released on a daily basis often in dire contradiction to information posted the previous day. Truly a :Country of Contradiction'. When an individual or group constantly contradict themselves it is a very fine line between total ignorance or compulsive lying

Thailand Tourism has gone through a big change! the demographics are totally different than a few years ago. Farang from Europe, america, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are way down and Chinese and Russians are on the rise, which amazes me because Thais are so proud of their culture, but now give prference to people that do not respect or even like your culture or people. I'm sure the number of visits is up, but the money spent per visit is way down.Just look in any restaurant or bar in Pattaya, ....no customers, but bus loads of Chinese and Russians come daily, but do not spend money!!!

Their culture is greed, all welcome just bring money.

A lot of tourists enjoy street-food and night-markets etc. and in some places these traditional local cultures are being bulldozed to make space for new projects. I think this is short-sighted, and shows that the planners are evaluating these existing Thai features based on their own personal view of these things being lo-so and outmoded. Infact many tourists see these things as a central part of traditional local Thai culture, and part of the perfect Thai holiday experience.

I do not claim that this is a huge factor in the wobbly and strangely quantum predicted-tourist charts. But I do talk to many long-time visitors who share my feelings of sorrow at the clumsy modernisation in some areas, often at the cost of traditional local Thai culture which so many visitors have known and loved for decades.

Spot on. I believe the reason most "tourists" come to Thailand (apart from the beaches etc) is because of Thai culture. Its viewed as being so different from their own country's culture that it makes an interesting exciting holiday destination. They can get shopping malls and modern world conveniences closer to home.

Which bit of Thai culture are inspecting on Phuket or Pattaya?

A beach is a beach, a taxi is a taxi, a hotel is a hotel. Either the beach is clean or not, the taxi clean and metered or not and the hotel rated accordingly.

Thailand has let itself slip badly. They are charging almost western rates with 3 rd world service and costs.

Thailand is not cheap anymore - i went to pratunam yesterday and was shocked at how many shops had closed compared to 5 years ago, basically the price for cheap crap from china or Thailand has gone up - and euro and other currencies have taken a nose dive, plus all the fake stuff that attracted so many tourists to shop is now virtually non existent.

Yesterday i stopped to buy a bottle of sprite and was charged 30 baht instead of 15. People are either more desperate than before and raising prices, or more greedy.
Eitherway - Quality tourists just wont be coming anymore... The Chinese will instead.

Thailand is a changing!

But what Thais really fail to understand is - The price of Thailand is more expensive than the UK now for many many things. A Pair of jeans yesterday cost be 800 baht - thats UK prices but the quality will be Thai and suck.

3rd World quality at Western rates.,... wake up Thailand~!

Edited by djlest

, I'll use my eyes. They're far more reliable than Thai statistics,

I am still waiting for 1 link from you----- This is from wiki..(its 2015..)which I am sure Wiki is on in the same plot with the Thai government that you and your tin foil friends seem to think is going on. Is there any point you seem to have all the inside info---the money is now going back to China......no links of course...just your eyes....why am I am I bothering to answer -----you win KB....... I'm out------ all the stats in the world cant beat your eyes.

International rankings

The Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report 2015 published by the World Economic Forum ranked Thailand 35 of 141 nations. Among the metrics used to arrive at the rankings, Thailand scored high on "Natural Resources" (16 of 141 nations) and "Tourist Service Infrastructure" (21 of 141), but low on "Environmental Sustainability" (116 of 141) and "Safety and Security" (132 of 141).[16][17]

In the MasterCard 2014 Global Destination Cities Index, Bangkok was ranked number two of the world's top-20 most-visited cities, trailing only London.[18]

I have friends in the tourist industry at Khao Sarn and Samui. They have moaned for the last year about the dwindling tourist numbers (from the west).

People don't like military coups, covered up tourist murders and human rights abuses.